• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Mewtwo vs. Smash 4 Mewtwo

Which Mewtwo do you like better?

• Melee

Votes: 17 12.1%
  • Smash 4

Votes: 124 87.9%

• Total voters

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
Which one do you guys like better?

I have only gotten to play two games with him in Smash 4 so I haven't had enough time to tell yet. However, I have noticed that when you use his side-B and reflect things they actually hit your opponents now, which is a huge improvement imo.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Never played Melee, but Mewtwo is turning into one of my mains in Smash4. Also, I can't imagine a side-B without reflect properties. It ruins reflector safety against a fully charged Shadow Ball, and in the Fox MU it basically means insta-kills with re-reflected Shadow Balls, and frankly we need all the help in that MU we can get. lol

Smash4 all the way, ofc. :'V

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman
It's hard to decide. Melee Mewtwo was more combo-ish. Wave dashing was a great tool for Mewtwo to use. He could also act out of teleport, which was great. Melee Mewtwo was great, in my opinion.

Smash 4 Mewtwo lost a lot of his Melee attributes, sadly. However, he makes up for it by being a powerhouse. Don't get me started on his aerials, smash attacks and throws; no really, they're powerful! Unfortunately, Mewtwo cannot damage opponents while charging his Shadow Ball, nor can he act out of teleport, which, honestly, bums me out. The BIGGEST issue I have is how lightweight Mewtwo is. He's really light, which makes him quite easy to KO... But still, over all, he's a good character. I think m2k doesn't know what he's talking about.

If I had to choose one, I am slightly leaned towards Smash 4's Mewtwo.

Last edited:

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
Once I try him out for the 1st time in 11 days I'll judge him (like I did with the 2 Dr. Marios once I got him in Smash 4).

Granted I'll miss some of his combos from Melee, but he'll have new combos once he reaches his full potential.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
mewtwo was awful in melee, but he has so much tech and cool things to do in that game that i like him more there. he is undoubtedly better in smash 4, though.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
His smash attacks are fast i give him that.

Also up smash has great priority.

They could have changed his down smash though...

godogod

Smash Ace
It's hard to decide. Melee Mewtwo was more combo-ish. Wave dashing was a great tool for Mewtwo to use. He could also act out of teleport, which was great. Melee Mewtwo was great, in my opinion.

Smash 4 Mewtwo lost a lot of his Melee attributes, sadly. However, he makes up for it by being a powerhouse. Don't get me started on his aerials, smash attacks and throws; no really, they're powerful! Unfortunately, Mewtwo cannot damage opponents while charging his Shadow Ball, nor can he act out of teleport, which, honestly, bums me out. The BIGGEST issue I have is how lightweight Mewtwo is. He's really light, which makes him quite easy to KO... But still, over all, he's a good character. I think m2k doesn't know what he's talking about.

what did m2k say about him?

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I'm liking SSB4 Mewtwo so far. He's a godsend against Link and Mega Man. He may be light, but he has so much PRIORITY.

what did m2k say about him?
"Smash 4? Mewtwo? Bleh, how darest thou say those accursed names in front of me, ye casual worm. Begone with thee and bringest me mine Fox and Marth."

Uffe

Smash Hero
I voted for Smash 4 Mewtwo, but after having used Mewtwo in Melee, even though he's low tier in that game, at least he has range on his attacks.

GanonPawnch

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MLT117

Melee Mewtwo cannot act out of teleport... you're thinking of Project M.

godogod

Smash Ace
I read what he said on reddit.. Really not a big deal. He wasn't bashing.. Just his preliminary thoughts. His opinion on Mewtwo doesn't influence my usage of Mewtwo at all.

Davregis

Smash Apprentice
I read what he said on reddit.. Really not a big deal. He wasn't bashing.. Just his preliminary thoughts. His opinion on Mewtwo doesn't influence my usage of Mewtwo at all.
"first impression"-- he's not even putting M2 down too much

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
I've been having a lot of fun with Confusion. Basically charging shadow ball then launching it, and If my friend is using Pit/Dark Pit he uses shield. You can see where this is going. Shadow ball keeps going back and forth until eventually one of us misses, and by then Shadow Ball is already 10x as strong and sends the person who fails to reflect it flying.

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
PM Mewtwo is by far the best.
...but for the sake of this poll I'll say Sm4sh Mewtwo since his specials don't suck anymore and his attributes fit better in Sm4sh, making him actually viable.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
IMO Mewtwo is definitely more viable this time around.

Although he loses some nifty tricks, he gains plenty more. His shield and roll are really good, making his roll a safer option and also makes it easier to zone/play tricks. Essentially all his smashes are kill attacks, and early kill attacks at that. His aerials are fast and also reliable for killing around the 80%/100% mark. Of course he has a spike. He also has a freaking wall of pain with no fear of being gimped while recovering to the stage. The dude's got some major stuff to work with this time around.

His main issue is his weight. Which given his tools and aerial speed/easy to chain aerial combos makes total sense. If anything, it'd be totally fair if they bumped him up to Rosie's weight class at least. They are the same size and pretty much have the same reasoning for their huge size while retaining floatiness.

Last edited:

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Smash 4 Mewtwo has fair and dair which can kill ridiculously early and that is all I need to say.

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
If we're talking looks, definitely Smash4.
As much as i loved him in melee, he always had that huge swollen head, and weird properties.
He looks much sexier better now, and his animations also improved.

If we're talking gameplay wise, he felt stronger in Melee, but because of how Smash4 works, he feels more viable overall there.

My pick is Smash4.

Edit: Oh right, also side-b in Smash4 finally reflects damage.

Last edited:

srn347

Smash Apprentice
His range has gotten tremendously better in smash 4. Not to diss on melee mewtwo, but it's nice to actually have hitboxes when using aerials.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
SSB4: no contest. Mewtwo is finally the Mewtwo my 13 year old self wanted him to be. Melee Mewtwo was just a huge disappointment and one of the worst characters in the game. This Mewtwo may not be unstoppable but he's actually functional and I can see him doing well in tournaments as time goes on, especially since I can see him becoming a counter to characters like Villager.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
In my eyes, Melee Mewtwo is one of the poster boys for showing how rushed Melee really was,
with two basically non-functional specials and an awkward hurtbox. It's also important to note that most characters
in Melee combo better with bigger hitstun, L-cancelling and wavedashing. Mewtwo is hardly the only one to lose
combos from Melee.

On a side note, I love how all of Mewtwo's new voice clips manage to capture the essence of the originals
while making them sound more human and intimidating (even if his grunts sometimes sound like Greninja's).
His old alien voice has it's own charm, but it just makes you wanna laugh at how weird he sounds at times
(except when he laughs at YOU).

godogod

Smash Ace
His range has gotten tremendously better in smash 4. Not to diss on melee mewtwo, but it's nice to actually have hitboxes when using aerials.
Too bad his forward air doesn't connect unless you are a certain distance away from the enemy. Too close and it just misses entirely.

IMO Mewtwo is definitely more viable this time around.

Although he loses some nifty tricks, he gains plenty more. His shield and roll are really good, making his roll a safer option and also makes it easier to zone/play tricks. Essentially all his smashes are kill attacks, and early kill attacks at that. His aerials are fast and also reliable for killing around the 80%/100% mark. Of course he has a spike. He also has a freaking wall of pain with no fear of being gimped while recovering to the stage. The dude's got some major stuff to work with this time around.

His main issue is his weight. Which given his tools and aerial speed/easy to chain aerial combos makes total sense. If anything, it'd be totally fair if they bumped him up to Rosie's weight class at least. They are the same size and pretty much have the same reasoning for their huge size while retaining floatiness.
No, he at least needs a weight equal to his Melee version. Anything lower is a disservice. Hell he should be even more in my book, and it sad that we have to lower our standards/expectations, ever since his weight suddenly got nerfed in this game.

Here's what I want from Sakurai to make Mewtwo more viable:

1. Reduce Shadowball's recoil distance when shot in the air ,by 1/2. I don't know how the heck people defend this as a way to get back on the stage.. How is turning your back while doing this safe? You do it in front of you as a way to get back on the stage, and its pretty much suicide. Why not reduce it to give him a viable offensive option when trying to get on the stag(if it doesn't connect, it can at least set as a diversion / to get back on the stage safely from edge guarders)?
2. Give shadowball damage hitbox when charging OR able to hit enemies who hang on ledges(like Lucario's charged aura sphere)
3. Make Down Smash have a hitbox from behind. This move is too punishable for being one sided. Sometimes I hit the wrong directiona nd its all the worse.
4. Allow down smash to hit/spike on ledges
5. Make up air easier to connect
6. Make forward smash actually connect if touching the enemy.
7. Increase his weight to at least what he was in Melee. 85. This is the very least. Ideally I'd want him close to 100.

Oh and here's a random thought.. Mewtwo sounds like a parasite from Parasyte series..

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Too bad his forward air doesn't connect unless you are a certain distance away from the enemy. Too close and it just misses entirely.
Too bad his Melee forward air doesn't connect unless you are right on top of your opponent. Too far and it just misses
entirely.

4 Shadow Claw stays true to the original by being a fast but tricky to land move, but has it's hitbox placement
changed to make it more useful in general, especially when air dodging is actually a thing.

No, he at least needs a weight equal to his Melee version. Anything lower is a disservice. Hell he should be even more in my book, and it sad that we have to lower our standards/expectations, ever since his weight suddenly got nerfed in this game.

Here's what I want from Sakurai to make Mewtwo more viable:

1. Reduce Shadowball's recoil distance when shot in the air ,by 1/2. I don't know how the heck people defend this as a way to get back on the stage.. How is turning your back while doing this safe? You do it in front of you as a way to get back on the stage, and its pretty much suicide. Why not reduce it to give him a viable offensive option when trying to get on the stag(if it doesn't connect, it can at least set as a diversion / to get back on the stage safely from edge guarders)?
2. Give shadowball damage hitbox when charging OR able to hit enemies who hang on ledges(like Lucario's charged aura sphere)
3. Make Down Smash have a hitbox from behind. This move is too punishable for being one sided. Sometimes I hit the wrong directiona nd its all the worse.
4. Allow down smash to hit/spike on ledges
5. Make up air easier to connect
6. Make forward smash actually connect if touching the enemy.
7. Increase his weight to at least what he was in Melee. 85. This is the very least. Ideally I'd want him close to 100.

Oh and here's a random thought.. Mewtwo sounds like a parasite from Parasyte series..
Don't really see how low weight is truly a disservice to Mewtwo, in Pokemon he's kind of always built as
a bit of a glass cannon (by Legendary standards), with Defense and past Gen.1, Special Defense being his worse stats.

You wanna attack people with Shadow Ball while recovering? Just use uncharged ones, and B-reversing is still
a thing. And the recoil is not just for recovering either, it works as a surprise mobility option on stage too.

Down smash hits people on the edge super easily, what are you talking about. I can't count the number of times
I've blasted a Villager attempting to ledge-stall. It also has next to no endlag so as long as you don't get hit out of startup
you're A-OK.

godogod

Smash Ace
His weight IS a disservice to Mewtwo fans. I see no good reason to justify nerfing his weight significantly from Melee at all.
At the very least, it should have stayed the same. And now knowing Sakurai, he will likely never patch attributes like speed or weight.

I've never had trouble hitting people with shadow claw in Melee. It doesn't have as much range as the Wii U version, but at least if you're literally touching the foe or a few cm away in the game, it would always connect in the melee version. I've never heard people complain about his SC not connecting in melee, it was always the lack of range. In this game, you have to be a certain distance away from te enemy to connect, or it completely misses.

I have yet to hit anyone who was ledge grabbing with my down smash. If it exists, its incredibly tiny space. Has anyone else?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
His weight IS a disservice to Mewtwo fans. I see no good reason to justify nerfing his weight significantly from Melee at all.
At the very least, it should have stayed the same. And now knowing Sakurai, he will likely never patch attributes like speed or weight.

I've never had trouble hitting people with shadow claw in Melee. It doesn't have as much range as the Wii U version, but at least if you're literally touching the foe or a few cm away in the game, it would always connect in the melee version. I've never heard people complain about his SC not connecting in melee, it was always the lack of range. In this game, you have to be a certain distance away from te enemy to connect, or it completely misses.

I have yet to hit anyone who was ledge grabbing with my down smash. If it exists, its incredibly tiny space. Has anyone else?
Remember that in Melee, hitstun was bigger and you couldn't airdodge without risking putting yourself
in an even worse position. To that end it was fairly easy to incorporate fair into combos, but was it a good
spacing or punishing move? How did you get close enough to really use it without getting hit first or setting it up beforehand? I'll take a fair that hits a fair distance ahead with a blind spot up close over one that hits practically point blank any day, especially since it makes nair more useful in comparison on top of it linking better.

Are you sure you're not referring to ledge invincibility which everyone has to deal with?

He's lighter because he has much, MUCH more hard hitting options than before, there's almost no scenario
where he can't kill you somehow. Please explain how low weight is a disservice, other than "it's a nerf and he didn't deserve it".

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
At the very least, it should have stayed the same.
But he's still not Zelda. His weight actually makes sense. He is the most perfectly balanced glass cannon in this game. He is fast and strong, with good attack or counter attack options; risky but strong smashes. If he had Zelda's speed and required sweetspots on most things to kill stuff while having the low weight, then you could call it a disservice lol.

Last edited:

godogod

Smash Ace
I stand corrected on his down smash not being able to hit characters grabbing on ledge. I tried it with two players. Pretty hard though to do in a real match, though besides Having to distance it perfectly from a ledge. Though that's not my issue with his down b. He's the only one to have it on one side.

His weight only makes sense to you because that's the excuse the developers gave in Melee to balance him, but we all know how how that mess turned out for Mewtwo. And for some reason they made him even lighter in this game. I hope to God they were just doing a test run to see how he would do and to inevitably turn up his weight back to what he was in melee at least.

I don't think he is a perfectly balanced glass cannon at all. Not only is he light, but he is tall, so it makes him an easy target. Yes, he's stronger and has a faster dash speed, and finally a usable reflector and still a situational down b, but he has the same lag in hs moves, even lighter. If he was a "perfect glass cannon" imo, his moves would have less lag or connect more(down smash, forward air, up air) and if he had the same weight as he did in melee. As of now, I do think he is better than he was in Melee, but his lower weight is not justified. That and a few other things I don't like, and hope he gets patched. Up air, forward air, and up tilt need to connect better.

zelda has been awful for the last two games, and has a very diffrent gameplay style compared to mewtwo. Only thing they share is a similar up b and a slow fall speed, and similar throws.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I stand corrected on his down smash not being able to hit characters grabbing on ledge. I tried it with two players. Pretty hard though to do in a real match, though besides Having to distance it perfectly from a ledge. Though that's not my issue with his down b. He's the only one to have it on one side.

His weight only makes sense to you because that's the excuse the developers gave in Melee to balance him, but we all know how how that mess turned out for Mewtwo. And for some reason they made him even lighter in this game. I hope to God they were just doing a test run to see how he would do and to inevitably turn up his weight back to what he was in melee at least.

I don't think he is a perfectly balanced glass cannon at all. Not only is he light, but he is tall, so it makes him an easy target. Yes, he's stronger and has a faster dash speed, and finally a usable reflector and still a situational down b, but he has the same lag in hs moves, even lighter. If he was a "perfect glass cannon" imo, his moves would have less lag or connect more(down smash, forward air, up air) and if he had the same weight as he did in melee. As of now, I do think he is better than he was in Melee, but his lower weight is not justified. That and a few other things I don't like, and hope he gets patched. Up air, forward air, and up tilt need to connect better.

zelda has been awful for the last two games, and has a very diffrent gameplay style compared to mewtwo. Only thing they share is a similar up b and a slow fall speed, and similar throws.
Zero Suit Samus and to a lesser extent Lucas also have one-sided dsmashes.

Melee Mewtwo's awkward hurtbox (which his shield didn't even cover properly), bad techs, weak smashes
and two non-functioning specials hurt him more than his light weight ever did. Fun fact: every top tier in that game
is a lightweight.

Glass cannons by their very definition are kind of unbalanced, they can wreck you or get wrecked in return.
The thing is that in more traditional fighters with more static physics it's easier to create scenarios where the cannons
have unstoppable offence. P:M Mewtwo got a weight buff, but even his smashes aren't as strong as 4.

The developers of this game clearly wanted to make sure no form of abuse was possible, which is evidenced
by things like no invincibility on edge regrab, no true chaingrabbing and few lagless power moves in any measure.
Even so, Mewtwo has power moves that run the gamut from blindingly fast on startup (fair, usmash, disable if you factor the ability to start it in the air), next to no endlag (dsmash) or middle of the road in both (fsmash, dair). Uair is the only move
I agree could stand to be a bit faster, since it is intended as a combo move. Fair is pretty much the same as Melee in frame
data and hitbox size, but had it moved and it's knockback angle changed to make it more useful in general (it makes
it better at edgeguarding, and you can actually space it now). You can't use it like Melee, but that's fine because the old
way just wouldn't work very well in Smash 4.

tl,dr: If Mewtwo was a "perfect glass cannon" whose offense was nigh unstoppable and/or had weight approaching
that of a middleweight, he'd be insanely controversial.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Every Top Tier in Melee is a lightweight yeah, but fall speed in Melee covers a lot of weaknesses that light weights normally would have. KOing Fox or Falco from the top is a harder thing to do than killing Bowser for example.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Still think mewtwo should be killing at percentages he can die at. Otherwise Ganon does fundamentally everything better. Custom Ganon anyway.

godogod

Smash Ace
alright there are some things we can't agree on, but what are things you'd want mewtwo to be patched/buffed?

Top Bottom