• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

melee Link or Link in brawl

ALZAUARTIS

Smash Cadet
I think that link in brawl will be better than link in melee due to his increase in speed.But some people say that because his upB is nerf he will be nerf too.What is ur opinion?

iron blade

Smash Ace
Brawl Link. His bow and bombs are better, and his boomerang isn't necessarily better, but it's more useful. He is faster in Brawl and his attacks are slightly quicker. I don't care about the upB nerf, it has less ending lag and is still a good 'get out of my face' area attack. It also seems to ascend faster in the air.

If you are going to say melee Link, stop talking, turn around, and walk off the nearest cliff. Brawl Link owns.

Coselm

Smash Ace
Brawl Link is looking a lot faster in all of the videos I have seen.

I like his new up-B. It is more true to the Zelda games. I think it might be even more deadly for edgeguarding now because you can charge it.

Lunar6

Smash Journeyman
Brawl Link. His bow and bombs are better, and his boomerang isn't necessarily better, but it's more useful. He is faster in Brawl and his attacks are slightly quicker. I don't care about the upB nerf, it has less ending lag and is still a good 'get out of my face' area attack. It also seems to ascend faster in the air.
All of that. Particularly on the up-B adressing.

Florida

イーグランツ
No doubt that Link is better in Brawl than what he was in Melee. He's much quicker (with his attacks, people!), can combo more easily, can kill at decent percentages, has en even better edgeguard than before, his recovery has improved slightly, and I can go on and on. He's just generally better than before.

Aeramis

Smash Ace
Brawl Link would own Melee Link any day. More speed and smoother playing style overall pwns one crappy overrated move with tons of end lag. Anyone playing Link that depends on that move as their finisher are noobs. Melee UpB is really only good for kill move at the right time and combo breaker. Brawl will have it as a combo breaker with less knockback and less end lag. Which in the long run, I'm sure will be better then the Melee verison. So I don't see really any nerfs to Brawl Link imo.

HiIH

Smash Lord
The only thing I'm afraid of is that Link will become high tier. Then I can't shout at the high tiers when they lose. = (

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
Brawl's version of of my favorite character is surely the superior version. I don't remember seeing his forward smash in any videos though. I hope it's still a two prong smash that you can delay and cancel and what have you. That and his right hand equipment is still on projectile auto-guard.

I don't see how his Brawl ver. arrows and bombs are "better" but the ability to charge his spin slash is a well accepted bonus in my eyes.

That and the Gale Boomerang. It'd be boss if the boomerang retreived items for you, too.

HiIH

Smash Lord
The spin got a heavy nerf in my eyes = \

I think his bombs got more powerful, as in more knockback and more damage. I wonder if there will be the ability to combine the grab of the boomerang with the bombs to make some epic mindgame combos?

NeoZ

Smash Ace
Just wondering, does the boomerang still hit your enemy on the way back? or does it just pull them?

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Well i haven't played or looked into it. But Brawl Link looks better and seems right to me.

And if everyone else thinks so... I used Melee Link and the improvements sounds good to me.

-Onyx

Flaminglink

Smash Journeyman
Links jumping Down A is really strong now though :)

And thats good because in melee i would Shffl That move sometimes because your opponents dont expect it alot XD

turtle roll

Smash Apprentice
Just wondering, does the boomerang still hit your enemy on the way back? or does it just pull them?
i never saw it hit on the way back, but it had random pull efect.

oh, and good idea with the grab and the rangs winds... throw the rang1 grab opponet2 slide to the edge and b- throw3!!!

note i said throw and not kick? check the links grabs tread i made!!! ( advertizment!!!:grin:)

k-sin

Smash Cadet
Sounds like they did a bit of a Young Link/Adult Link mix with the brawl Link.
I.e.
- Better bombs, better boomerang, faster (YL)
- Decent kill %, good tether, fast arrows (AL)

Of course that's kinda a big generalisation. But I'm stating it because there may be people who really disliked Adult Link in brawl and preferred Young Link (Like me). So getting a sort of mix may mean that we will like Link better this time.
(Even if there weren't many Young Link > Adult Link Melee players)

-spAzn-

Smash Journeyman
Definitely Brawl Link. His overall TP based appearance is great I absolutely love it. Aside from that, overall from the impressions and videos we've got he seems faster, stronger, and just oozes awesomeness/greatness/craziness *insert any other word to describe Link*:cool:. How can you not love Brawl Link? Great now I can't wait to play as him.

smashvillain18

Smash Cadet
Nice thread you have here. Link is going to be a beast. And he's a starter too? His FS is so amazing to see in action lol. Gonna enjoy fighting as him, as well all the characters in brawl. Who knows who's gonna show up. Hopefully, we can all find a place to trade wii codes. If you want to, please save me as a friend and leave me your wii code in a note. I'll reply with my code.

R.Y.N.O

Smash Journeyman
No doubt that Link is better in Brawl than what he was in Melee. He's much quicker (with his attacks, people!), can combo more easily, can kill at decent percentages, has en even better edgeguard than before, his recovery has improved slightly, and I can go on and on. He's just generally better than before.
I agree. Brawl Link looks much better than Melee link even though his upb was nerfed. Although his up smash is a lot stickier which means that there is less of a chance that the last two hits miss leaving you wide open. I guess that kinda makes up for it. Also thanks Layupfreak for the tally.

Link's Uair seems to shoot a beam when he uses it in this vid. His bow also charges up faster. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGdrxsikX4A He uses his bow at 00:12-00:13. He uses his Uair at 00:48-00:50.

Link Lord

Smash Journeyman
In a place where people are tortured endlessly and
I agree. Brawl Link looks much better than Melee link even though his upb was nerfed. Although his up smash is a lot stickier which means that there is less of a chance that the last two hits miss leaving you wide open. I guess that kinda makes up for it. Also thanks Layupfreak for the tally.

Link's Uair seems to shoot a beam when he uses it in this vid. His bow also charges up faster. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGdrxsikX4A He uses his bow at 00:12-00:13. He uses his Uair at 00:48-00:50.
That "beam" was the shockwave of Link's sword hitting the floor(the floors in that level are breakable), but you're definitely right about the bow.

P.S.- Can someone explain to me why people think his up-B is nerfed? I mean, you can charge it up, so wouldn't that make it better? Or has it been horribly weakened?

turtle roll

Smash Apprentice
well, it doesn't semi-spike, which was like, 1/3 of its appeal, but i can't w8 2 edge guard with the charge, especialy vs marth or should i say, ike players. what now, beach! revenge!!!!

Lunar6

Smash Journeyman
well, it doesn't semi-spike, which was like, 1/3 of its appeal, but i can't w8 2 edge guard with the charge, especialy vs marth or should i say, ike players. what now, beach! revenge!!!!
I personally found no particular appeal to its semispike, so I don't think I'll miss it. Besides, from what I've seen, the Spin Attack now seems to launch opponents into the air more vertically than in Melee, which may be a replacement of sorts to this "nerf" as people are calling it.

Profanity

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BHC-Prof
Melee Link!

I don't mean that, really, but someone on page one said that if you say that, you get to jump off a cliff, and that sounds really fun. I'm rigging up this parachute right now. This is going to rock.

Sailyfee

Smash Apprentice
Brawl Link.

Judging from the first brawl trailer, he doesn't bounce when he hits someone with his Dair. Not to mention his Up B goes more horizontally in the air now. (I recall seeing it happen in a video)

Oh yeah, aren't his arrows more spammable now?

Zodiac

Smash Master
Not a lot faster. Keep in mind we dont know how fast Brawl link is with l-canceling though

Lunar6

Smash Journeyman
Silly Lunar, Up B semi spike is the bane of all space animals while edgeguarding.
Not for those who do not force edgeguarding into a first priority against cahracters that light.

Top Bottom