• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Light | Browser Based Melee Clone | Play the beta

CanBeatAnyFaux

Smash Cadet
Yo! There's something up with Marth's f-throw, in regular Melee Fox/Marth don't get knocked down until ~9%, but in Melee light knockdown occurs from 0

25th Grace

Smash Rookie
Will downloading it allow me to run it without an internet connection?
Edit: Nevermind, got it to work :D
Edit 2: I've encountered another problem. When I try using the downloaded file offline, the gamecube controller doesn't get detected. I've done a few tests and the adapter drivers were definitely installed and working, but Melee Light wasn't detecting any inputs. I was using Firefox, if that helps.
Edit 3: I tried Chrome, and it still doesn't work.

Last edited:

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
I'm playing it on my laptop (not super powerful) on pretty meh wifi and the game seems to just be running really slowly. Almost three times slower. Is it just a performance/internet issue?
Internet should not be an issue, and would only contribute to the initial loading time. The game currently is heavily unoptimized, but this is a high priority to fix. A large amount of very talented people have joined the team recently, so you can expect greats things in a matter of time.

sry, if this is doesn't belong here but:

i have a problem with the button mapping for my mayflash pro controller
ZR, ZL, and L are mapped to shield
R is mapped to grab (this could be intentional)
X is mapped to special
B is mapped to jump
is there a way i can change that?
I assume this is the product in question. This hasn't been officially supported yet, but it obviously works and just needs a remapping. To do this I would need you to go here and your controller should be detected. I would need the exact name given the controller, what button corresponds to which number and which analog input corresponds to which bar. It's a relatively painless process and we have supported many controllers this way, so let me know the details. We are also working on a more formal way to support new controllers if you prefer to wait.

I just made an account to say this is really fantastic! I saw it on OHKO's channel and I'm excited to see where this project goes. A lot of Smash projects have a really janky feel to them but this looks really smooth and professional. The aesthetic reminds me of the Difficult series of stages from Dustforce. :D
Thank you! <3 And yes it does show quite a bit of resemblance to those dustforce levels, I think I may take some more inspiration in the future.

Yo! There's something up with Marth's f-throw, in regular Melee Fox/Marth don't get knocked down until ~9%, but in Melee light knockdown occurs from 0
Thank you. This is something that I hope to fix in the next patch.

Will downloading it allow me to run it without an internet connection?
Edit: Nevermind, got it to work :D
Edit 2: I've encountered another problem. When I try using the downloaded file offline, the gamecube controller doesn't get detected. I've done a few tests and the adapter drivers were definitely installed and working, but Melee Light wasn't detecting any inputs. I was using Firefox, if that helps.
Edit 3: I tried Chrome, and it still doesn't work.
I believe we talked last night on Discord and the problem seemed to be Windows XP. For the record, I do not want to write it off, and hope to support it at some point, but I cannot say it is a high priority for us.

pkay

Smash Rookie
Hey! im on mac and my mayflash adapter is not working what do i do?

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
Hey! im on mac and my mayflash adapter is not working what do i do?
It seems like Mac gives the controllers a different name than windows, I ran into another user with this issue last night and pushed an update. It should now work on chrome, and you may need to check each port. We are working on adding more support for Mac

Phont

Smash Rookie
This is such an awesome concept! I'm having an issue, though, in Chrome using my 3-in-1 Magic Joy Box. For some reason, my character just holds shield the entire time. I can wavedash out of it or jump but as soon as I land, I stay back in shield.

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
This is such an awesome concept! I'm having an issue, though, in Chrome using my 3-in-1 Magic Joy Box. For some reason, my character just holds shield the entire time. I can wavedash out of it or jump but as soon as I land, I stay back in shield.
You could try resetting your controller by holding X+Y+DpadUp for 3 seconds. If that doesn't work then I will need to properly map your controller, which i'd need your help with.

Phont

Smash Rookie
That fixed my shielding issue, thanks! I did notice the controls are a bit off, though. My c-stick doesn't really work aside from the right direction while down on the c-stick shields.

frankxthexbunny

Smash Apprentice
would it perhaps be easier to make players map their controllers themselves and just give them a tool to do so? I have friends who are pretty unhappy with the xbox controller mapping and they'd really like to be able to move around what keys do what.

Also you should consider getting rid of that bug where you can airdodge through walls in target test when theres a platform present, it makes target test pretty easy.

Last edited:

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
That fixed my shielding issue, thanks! I did notice the controls are a bit off, though. My c-stick doesn't really work aside from the right direction while down on the c-stick shields.
That is odd, perhaps the axis index is a bit off. Could you go here and tell me exactly which axis (shoulders+sticks) is associated with which bar, and also tell me the exact name given to the controller.

would it perhaps be easier to make players map their controllers themselves and just give them a tool to do so? I have friends who are pretty unhappy with the xbox controller mapping and they'd really like to be able to move around what keys do what.

Also you should consider getting rid of that bug where you can airdodge through walls in target test when theres a platform present, it makes target test pretty easy.
It is possible to do this by downloading the game and editing a file, but we do plan to make controller configuring easier. It is very difficult though because there are so many different types controllers to consider.

The environmental collision detection is midway through a massive overhaul, so you can expect to see all the current issues solved and some new features soon enough.

frankxthexbunny

Smash Apprentice
I know you're doing falco next I'm sure peach and climbers would be the hardest to implement of top 8 but I'd really love to see my man falcon in soon, though I'm sure you have already decided who is going in when (if they're going in at all)

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
You could try resetting your controller by holding X+Y+DpadUp for 3 seconds. If that doesn't work then I will need to properly map your controller, which i'd need your help with.
I've got the same problem., but I can't solve it. Do I have to reset my contoller in a specific part of the game?

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
I know you're doing falco next I'm sure peach and climbers would be the hardest to implement of top 8 but I'd really love to see my man falcon in soon, though I'm sure you have already decided who is going in when (if they're going in at all)
Falcon is planned to come after Falco.

I've got the same problem., but I can't solve it. Do I have to reset my contoller in a specific part of the game?
Reseting should work anywhere. What adapter are you using?

This is probably the best Smash Bros fangame I've ever played! Major props to Schmoo and others! :grin:
Thank you :)

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman

Hey guys, since the debut, the dev team has really grown with some really awesome talented people joining us. Most of the time has been spent cleaning up the code and making it easy to read, manage and contribute towards.

But in the spirit of christmas, we wanted to transform the environment to reflect the season and give you a taste of things to come.

What's new?

Electron app (Melee Light as a standalone program)

Using electron, we can make melee light a downloadable application that runs outside of your web browser. Examples of electron apps (Discord, Slack, Atom). Links:
Windows : https://mega.nz/#!qQYywbCL!pshs77Vyc2aW6YSvOfo-eDJ5JWA0v9AXSIUdi9x60m4
Mac : https://mega.nz/#!rA5CmCRZ!T-rxf_MLXfXJV70mLSEsbWz0o5nFDAof9XTJ3r4MEvM
Linux : https://mega.nz/#!2ZpRBCCD!kONGzcvfMycLgdvpxQHvOWnxgMoAAqZDNF1Tn-9ZWNc
Please bear in mind that Electron, like Chrome does not support vJoy inputs for your Official Wii U adapters.

Improved input interpretation accuracy

The conversion code has been vastly improved to emulate the feel of console melee. Your shield drop notches should work perfectly for example.

AI upgrade

Randall

Tap Jump Settings

Lots of bug fixes and controller support

We are right on the edge of some big updates, including a collision overhaul (yes target test 9 will be fixed) with sloped surfaces, new characters and even netplay! Thank you for all the support and we hope you enjoy!

Last edited:

frankxthexbunny

Smash Apprentice

Hey guys, since the debut, the dev team has really grown with some really awesome talented people joining us. Most of the time has been spent cleaning up the code and making it easy to read, manage and contribute towards.

But in the spirit of christmas, we wanted to transform the environment to reflect the season and give you a taste of things to come.

What's new?

Electron app (Melee Light as a standalone program)

Using electron, we can make melee light a downloadable application that runs outside of your web browser. Examples of electron apps (Discord, Slack, Atom). Links:
Windows : https://mega.nz/#!qQYywbCL!pshs77Vyc2aW6YSvOfo-eDJ5JWA0v9AXSIUdi9x60m4
Please bear in mind that Electron, like Chrome does not support vJoy inputs for your Official Wii U adapters.

Improved input interpretation accuracy

The conversion code has been vastly improved to emulate the feel of console melee. Your shield drop notches should work perfectly for example.

AI upgrade

Randall

Tap Jump Settings

Lots of bug fixes and controller support

We are right on the edge of some big updates, including a collision overhaul (yes target test 9 will be fixed) with sloped surfaces, new characters and even netplay! Thank you for all the support and we hope you enjoy!
I'd love to see some fixes to the sounds as well, they often play in out of place scenarios. Netplay HYPE

MightyMations

Smash Rookie
I need some help getting an Ortz Gamecube controller adapter working for Melee Light. I'm not sure how to get it working on the PC in the first place, but I just want an answer on how to get gamecube controllers working for Melee light, but with an Ortz Gamecube controllar adapter working. Thanks to anyone to get it working!

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
I need some help getting an Ortz Gamecube controller adapter working for Melee Light. I'm not sure how to get it working on the PC in the first place, but I just want an answer on how to get gamecube controllers working for Melee light, but with an Ortz Gamecube controllar adapter working. Thanks to anyone to get it working!
It currently does not support it natively. We are close to an update that will allow any browser compatible controller to be calibrated and custom mapped. So that should hopefully work for your controllers.

MightyMations

Smash Rookie
Ok, so when that update comes out, I will be able to use an Ortz Gamecube controller adapter?

Dimaglio

Smash Rookie
Where do I post bugs? I encountered something REAAALLY weird and I have no idea what happened, I also have like 2 pictures.

PBoss01

Smash Rookie

PLAY : http://ikneedata.com/meleelight

DOWNLOAD :

If using mayflash adapter, switch to PC mode. You may need to refresh the page or restart your browser
If using official adapter, install vJoy drivers (http://m4sv.com/page/wii-u-gcn-usb-driver) and play on Firefox
Any other controller please PM me

Play as Marth, Puff and Fox on 4 Melee stages!

Earn medals on target test and complete against your own personal best and the world record!

Build your own target stages!

Knockback and movement using Melee's own dimensions and formulas for smooth gameplay.

Melee tech implemented : Wavedash, waveland, ledgedash, l-cancel, autocancel, short hop/full hop, moonwalk, sticky walk, boost run, DI, lightshield, shield tilt, powershield, ledgehop, sweetspot, up-b angling, walljumps, walltech/techjump, up-b walljump, pivots, jc upsmash, run cancel, boost grab, IASA frames and more!

Use gamecube controller adapter or xbox 360 controller to play!

To beta test, join the discord here: https://discord.gg/qagFayt and go to getting-started channel for info.

Please report any bugs and issues to the relevant discord channels

this is a great training map i made feel free to try it out if you want:) s0.00,0.00&b106.67,45.00,186.67,58.33,-53.33,-75.00,53.33,-61.67,-120.00,-88.33,-106.67,71.67,-173.33,-88.33,-160.00,71.67,106.67,-75.00,186.67,-61.67&p-80.00,71.67,80.00,71.67,-200.00,-101.67,200.00,-101.67,-66.67,18.33,-13.33,18.33,13.33,18.33,66.67,18.33,-106.67,-88.33,-93.33,-88.33,-106.67,-61.67,-93.33,-61.67,-106.67,-35.00,-93.33,-35.00,-106.67,-8.33,-93.33,-8.33,-106.67,18.33,-93.33,18.33,-106.67,45.00,-93.33,45.00,-186.67,45.00,-173.33,45.00,-186.67,18.33,-173.33,18.33,-186.67,-8.33,-173.33,-8.33,-186.67,-35.00,-173.33,-35.00,-186.67,-61.67,-173.33,-61.67,-186.67,-88.33,-173.33,-88.33,113.33,-41.67,133.33,-41.67,160.00,-41.67,180.00,-41.67,133.33,-21.67,160.00,-21.67,-53.33,-35.00,53.33,-35.00&l0,0,0,1,1,1,1,0,2,0,2,1,3,1,3,0,4,0,4,1&t200.00,-101.67

Last edited:

jmlee337

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
LEE#337
from the melee light discord #updates (https://discordapp.com/invite/qagFayt) on July 3rd:
Thank you everyone who has stuck around and keeping this community alive. After the initial release there was a boom in development, with about a dozen developers joining. Shortly after, a dozen whiddled down to 2. Shf and Neghromancer, both have contributed hugely to the project of which I am incredibly thankful. The scope of the project got the better of everyone, and life has got in the way. shf is finishing his phd in maths and nehgro has been worked like a dog at his job. And me, well im a 23 yo college dropout living with my parents lol, I'm trying to start my career. There is a lot of completed or near completed features that are in various branchs, and so I will be compiling a "final" version of the game salvaging what I can. It may not be the final version ever, but it will mark the start of my hiatus as I dedicate my time to other things. This version will have Falco bug free, new collision (with stages and stage builder), various new vfx and backgrounds, controller mapping interface, tucan's css icons and maybe some other things. You can expect it within a month. Thanks again everyone!

Last edited:

BBKGImisstech

Smash Rookie
I need help getting the official wii u drivers to work on mac on any browser. Ive downloaded mac drivers and everything but it still wont detect anything. Ive played on firefox and chrome and neither used the adapter.

DRGN

Technowizard
Beginnings of a Falcon.gif

Paths. The digital gold needed for Melee Light character creation.

A bunch of scripts generated these silhouettes strait from a modified copy of Melee. This new methodology should allow for new animations and characters to be created/added much more easily. Still gonna take a lot of time/work to do whole characters, but it should now at least be much more feasible to go through the many animations needed for just one.

#CatExitsBag

Last edited:

Will Gallo

Smash Rookie
Why is the game slow, and a bit choppy, and not crispy like Melee on a GC / Wii, even when downloaded and played locally?

Is it because it's JS instead of C or something?

You said lots of talented people are optimizing it 2 years ago, is any of that done or did u guys stop?

I really like this and might be down to throw some money at it if you think this type of technology would be feasible for a Smash 64 build, with a few characters. I think smash 64 would work better for this type of tech, but it would need to be crispy just like the 25 year old technology: Nintendo 64 :p which I feel is not alot to ask for?

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
Why is the game slow, and a bit choppy, and not crispy like Melee on a GC / Wii, even when downloaded and played locally?

Is it because it's JS instead of C or something?

You said lots of talented people are optimizing it 2 years ago, is any of that done or did u guys stop?

I really like this and might be down to throw some money at it if you think this type of technology would be feasible for a Smash 64 build, with a few characters. I think smash 64 would work better for this type of tech, but it would need to be crispy just like the 25 year old technology: Nintendo 64 :p which I feel is not alot to ask for?
So the characters are rendered by grabbing a very long array of positions for their current animation frame. Then it draws out the shape point by point, then fills it. The technology I used is called canvas and is a part of html5. The problem is drawing on canvas is written in javascript, and is incredibly un-optimized. Games usually use stuff like OpenGL or DirectX, which are written in low level programming languages like C, and have a more direct access to your GPU. Being low level and being optimized over decades, these would have no problem with Melee Light. There is something called WebGL, which is the web version of OpenGL. This is what we were trying to convert the game to, but it proved to be a bigger challenge than anticipated.

64 would have an easier time using the same technology, because the shapes are much simpler. Still though, I think when making a game, it's just best to use some engine like unity or gamemaker. Would be a cool project, but unfortunately I have too many other things going on at the moment.

Melee Light is only being developed by nehgromancer (and maybe DRGN) atm, so it is still progressing, just very slowly.

EaglePie

Smash Cadet
NNID
ZeldaGamer08
schmoo has other projects that will surprise you people, he's doing some magic **** because he switched to GameMaker, better get your body ready

EaglePie

Smash Cadet
NNID
ZeldaGamer08
Go to the discord for it, the link for it is on Melee Light browser; we have TONS of things and even the slightest of falcon footage ;)
I mean now there's Falco, FD, FoD, fixed bugs, more adapter/controller support, etc., and you can only get them through discord, so definitely check it out. Sadly Nehgromancer and Durgan are the only slightly active ones, and even then they're suuuuper inactive. Schmoo basically abandoned ML, rip.

DRGN

Technowizard
Yeah, as EaglePie said, there has been a bit, it's just slow. Personally, even when I find time to sit down and work on Melee related projects, things like DTW, MCM, and 20XX pull my attention now and then, which could each certainly use updating and new useful features (it feels like that's always the case; which I don't really mind, it's just an issue of time). And I occasionally help others with their Melee or HAL DAT research too.

Automating the collection of path data that I posted about before is a big deal, but there are also multiple other things that are needed to add a single character, like hitbox data, move files, ECB data for individual action states, and more.

If anyone wants to help, please feel welcome to join the Discord server to learn more and find out how.

TheTrueHer0

Smash Rookie
Is this game still being developed/updated? I LOVE this game so much, probably my favorite browser game. If this game is still being worked on, will there be any new characters/stages? But keep up the good work!

EaglePie

Smash Cadet
NNID
ZeldaGamer08
currently there are some dev issues because no one really wants to work, but if we get some motivation or donations to schmooblidon schmooblidon DRGN DRGN or to Nehgromancer (dunno what his name is on SB if he has one lol), then maybe we can get this project going, it could provide an incentive. Schmoo said he'd do Sheik and Falcon for $25 each, so really cheap, somebody if they have the money send some to his PayPal or something!
For right now the best thing you could do is join the discord and get the latest builds/ask for help and stuff: https://discord.gg/fPAXYDQ

Ziden

Smash Rookie
This is really nice.

Are you looking for any developers to help ?

I have a smash project in JS as well, but ive started from the character editor/animator rather then the game itself. The idea was based on melee but different, a customizable game. (https://github.com/Ziden/Omnimator)

Anyhow, i really liked this project, if you are looking for other developers i could help.

Mail me if you want, gabrielslomka@gmail.com

EDIT: To solve the rendering gap you can use webgl to hit 100FPS easily ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom