• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2016 MELEE IS FREEEEEEEEEED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
This was so amazing. I really didn't think Nintendo was capable of changing their minds so quickly. Even if Nintendo was to change their minds, I figured it would have taken them too long and it would be too late.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
XD I get off the computer for 2 hours to do errands and all this sh#$ happens?

As soon as I got back online I just happened to have the mynintendonews site opened from earlier and the catastrophe is being posted everywhere. I headed over to Miiverse to see if there was rioting and protests but apparently Nintendo did a reversal 10 minutes ago XD. I could still scroll down and see some of the riot flooding and then suddenly it just stopped.

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
That mini-heart attack. Really, why did Nintendo did this if they were going to change their mind a couple of hours later. :/

_Liquid_

Smash Cadet
That mini-heart attack. Really, why did Nintendo did this if they were going to change their mind a couple of hours later. :/
Nintendo was probably just trying to keep in line with their recent tightening on Intellectual Property, (I.E. that whole controversy with Let's Plays) and didn't consider the ramifications of cancelling the stream. When they realized how big they were shooting themselves in foot and the huge backlash it caused, they quickly corrected their mistake.

smashbrolink

Smash Journeyman
I'll laugh my butt off if the reason they initially wanted the stream of Melee canceled is because they wanted gamers at the event to participate in a surprise introduction of Smash 4 for Wii U at EVO instead.
Like, a pre-final build of the game for people to test out and enjoy for a while to spread awareness of the game amongst the rest of the fighting game community.
But then, because of people wanting more Melee instead, they retracted their decision and are now keeping Smash 4 all to themselves until launch.

My guess for the initial reaction is probably that the EVO Staff in charge of contacting Nintendo of America Inc. were not put in direct contact with the people who are allowed to make the decision about such a request. I am more inclined to believe they were talking with someone lower down the chain of command and by default are suppose to tell me people "No", but superiors perhaps were notified of such a request at Nintendo of America. Eventually, the decision is reversed by the person who can make the decision properly.

If this was not the case, I suppose that in light of Nintendo's attempts to want to recapture the hard core gaming crowd this would be a negative impact to decline the request to stream.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
what's funny now is reading stuff from people who are butthurt about competitive smash being a thing

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
"What probably happened (from Destructoid):
1. 50 or 60+ year old dude, possibly VP of something, almost certainly a lawyer, sees that somebody's doing something or other with their IP, sends C&D, pats self on back for a good job.
2. Younger employee, who quite possibly follows the FGC, but at the very least knows about the internet and modern marketing theory, finds out about that decision.
3. Support rallied throughout company, meeting held, case made, decision reversed.

All indications here point to an empowered individual or division (legal) making the wrong call (though yes, an EXTREMELY wrong call) and that decision being reversed once the broader company became aware of it. I can't imagine anyone consulted Iwata
on the initial c&d.
Frankly, bad knee-jerks happen in organizations this size, and they're not necessarily a sign of an evil company. ESPECIALLY if they're reversed. My only wish going forward is that they reexamine their streaming policies in general. Legal can't apply a policy stupidly if there's no policy to apply."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom