• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee is an "Accident"? I disagree - another post from Smash From The Shadows

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Yeah, but very little of the advanced tech (wavedashing, dashdancing, moonwalking, foxtrotting, etc.) was actually intentionally implemented into the game, thus making it an accident. They intentionally made it a deeper, better game than Smash 64, but that should be expected from a sequel and Sakurai himself didn't expect there to be a competitive scene and would prefer to keep Smash a party game.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Yeah, but very little of the advanced tech (wavedashing, dashdancing, moonwalking, foxtrotting, etc.)
There's no way that dash dancing or foxtrotting is 'accidental'. They were very specifically coded into the game, foxtrots even have very character dependent windows. Smash turn was made so that it can be cancelled into dash specifically on frame 2, so that dashing back quickly is possible. Turn during dash also cancels momentum, which it doesn't do from any other state. The reason for that must be to allow players to instantly change directions during dash and give more freedom of movement.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
There's no way that dash dancing or foxtrotting is 'accidental'. They were very specifically coded into the game, foxtrots even have very character dependent windows. Smash turn was made so that it can be cancelled into dash specifically on frame 2, so that dashing back quickly is possible. Turn during dash also cancels momentum, which it doesn't do from any other state. The reason for that must be to allow players to instantly change directions during dash and give more freedom of movement.
Fine then, I guess the point I should've tried to make is that there were many techniques that weren't included to make it competitive, they were either to make the game feel better (didn't make that point clear in my first response, though) or techniques that were accidents. Sakurai has since removed nearly all the techniques that were considered competitive in Melee because they developed a competitive scene and he sincerely wants Smash to just be a party game.

The accident category is composed of Wobbling, Blizobbling, Moonwalking, Yo-yo glitch, etc. These were things the testers just didn't find before releasing the game and were never intended to be there.

You could argue by the making-the-game-feel-better logic that since the Melee testers found WD before the game was released and it was never removed in 1.1, 1.2, or PAL, they just kept it in to make the game flow better. They weren't necessarily trying to make it competitive; they were just attempting to improve their game to the best of their ability. Also, Ledge Cancelling, JC-ing stuff, CC, Boost Grabs, L-Cancelling, and a few other techniques fall under this category.

AirFair

Marth tho
I think that some of it might have been accidental. Either way, even if they did know about it, they probably didn't feel the need to make that information necessary

Snowbird

Smash Cadet
Obviously there were quite a bit of accidental things, and most of the article's "evidence" is very unconvincing, especially how he takes little statements and claims they are definitive proof "IF THATS NOT EVIDENCE ENOUGH... etc.", but he does make a decent point with all the PAL changes and things like shields.

The developers were obviously very meticulous about all sorts of stuff, and the fine details they put in really shows.

Last edited:

JustYuck

Big Tipper
These "Accidents" are what make the competitive scene what it is today. It has raised the skill ceiling higher than almost any other competitive fighting game. Weather or not they were intentionally implemented does not matter if they work. I hate when people whine about how people are exploiting the game, thats just what it has evolved into, love it or hate it thats what it is.

Racuncai

Smash Cadet
Various scientific discoverys were made by pure accident but that doesn't make them more or less scientific or important, think the same about melee, is an accident because most of his techniques were glitches, exploits or things not suposed to be used in that way.

but i care?

is fun to play, is fun to learn about, is competitive gold and i don't care if the wavedash is a glitch or not if freaking awesome, is an accident but is the most beautiful accident in the history of mankind (fan boy detected)

Last edited:

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
This kind of makes me think of how you'll watch a TAS speedrun of an old game, and the programmers never had any idea some of this stuff was possible at any point. It was either a limitation of the programming language or they had to be "efficient" or cut corners to get games out on time. Melee just happens to be one of the best examples of a "beautiful accident".

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
This kind of makes me think of how you'll watch a TAS speedrun of an old game, and the programmers never had any idea some of this stuff was possible at any point. It was either a limitation of the programming language or they had to be "efficient" or cut corners to get games out on time. Melee just happens to be one of the best examples of a "beautiful accident".
A lot of the problems with the older games on 64 and PS1 were with collision detection because the 3D technology was so new that they didn't know they should have made the walls have a thicker hitbox than one or two pixels to ensure nobody could get through, you could cut through connections in the walls where the hitboxes didn't quite meet up, etc.

An example of thin walls was DK64 because the game was too good for the 64, so the game was programmed to make all characters, enemies, obstacles, and projectiles speed up when the game started lagging badly in order to make it appear like there is less lag. The unintended side-effect of that is because they only made the walls a few pixels thick, your character could work their way through them in laggy situations.

An example of there being a gap in a wall connection is in DK's Jungle Parkway in Mario Kart 64. Whenever you jump into a specific outcropping in the cave, you clip through the wall into nothingness. Then, you fly into either an area that respawns you at the start of the cave, or you get an extra free lap completed.

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
A lot of the problems with the older games on 64 and PS1 were with collision detection because the 3D technology was so new that they didn't know they should have made the walls have a thicker hitbox than one or two pixels to ensure nobody could get through, you could cut through connections in the walls where the hitboxes didn't quite meet up, etc.

An example of thin walls was DK64 because the game was too good for the 64, so the game was programmed to make all characters, enemies, obstacles, and projectiles speed up when the game started lagging badly in order to make it appear like there is less lag. The unintended side-effect of that is because they only made the walls a few pixels thick, your character could work their way through them in laggy situations.

An example of there being a gap in a wall connection is in DK's Jungle Parkway in Mario Kart 64. Whenever you jump into a specific outcropping in the cave, you clip through the wall into nothingness. Then, you fly into either an area that respawns you at the start of the cave, or you get an extra free lap completed.
Haha that's amazing (about the DK64 and MK64 info), so in DK64, the lag would get so bad that the engine would only have collision detection boxes working on like every 4 or 5th frame or something?
One of the things from TAS work that I have seen before that always interested me is all the discoveries in platforming games like Super Mario Bros or Sonic, and all the things you could do on like 1 frame if done right. Like the fact that if you run into a brick and you're right beside it on the same dimensions of pixels, you can jump on frame 1 because the game considers you to be on the ground. Rediculous stuff can happen in some of these games if played correctly.
It's like "There are all of these rules you need to follow" and you play it as a kid, and grow up and see people completely abolish these rules and laws in the games with quick reflexes and theory.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Haha that's amazing (about the DK64 and MK64 info), so in DK64, the lag would get so bad that the engine would only have collision detection boxes working on like every 4 or 5th frame or something?
One of the things from TAS work that I have seen before that always interested me is all the discoveries in platforming games like Super Mario Bros or Sonic, and all the things you could do on like 1 frame if done right. Like the fact that if you run into a brick and you're right beside it on the same dimensions of pixels, you can jump on frame 1 because the game considers you to be on the ground. Rediculous stuff can happen in some of these games if played correctly.
It's like "There are all of these rules you need to follow" and you play it as a kid, and grow up and see people completely abolish these rules and laws in the games with quick reflexes and theory.
If I remember correctly, it would still detect every frame, but you could clip through the walls because they didn't account for how much faster the kongs are when the game is lagging. But DK64 is actually EXTREMELY glitchy and broken, so you can run it in under an hour (53:40 run seen here). The problem with collision detection is explained at around 19:10.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
It really all depends on how you look at the word "accident". If you see the accident as all of the different tech being completely unintended, I personally think that is wrong. Things like wavedashing were known, but weren't expected to matter in the final product. Obviously this was wrong, but considering the game was designed as a party game, they probably just didn't expect anybody to really notice it.

Last edited:

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
It's like most of you guys didn't actually read the article LOL

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Yeah, it shows in all the comments.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Guess I know what I need to read as soon as I have the spare time. I'll probably just edit my previous post if I have any new opinions about it.

SAUS

Smash Ace
I feel like a lot of the stuff in the game was not an accident, like how shield stun and hit stun are at values that allow for a lot of interaction, but also give reward where it is due. There is also the forbidden DI (SDI upward on attacks that send you horizontal or downward) as an example of developers trying to make the game good competitively. They were at least paying attention to these small details.

I think at some level, it could be considered an accident that the game is as good as it is. There are just probably a lot of things that were intentional that helped it along.

I think there is a bit of a flawed idea of aggression/offense in melee, though (this is in response to some of the stuff said in the article). I don't think it's as aggressive as some people make it out to be. It's more that control of the match is so important, that you have to actively contest it. Otherwise you leave your opponent to taking over the match and beating you for it. One of the reasons that shielding is so awesome in melee (and I mean awesome as a mechanic, not as a thing to do), is because to do so is to also give up some of your control over the match. This is slightly off topic, I guess, so I'll just leave it as this.

In any case, if the current way the game is played was not somewhat foreseeable by the developers, then I think, somewhere along the way, it has to be some sort of accident.

Dino Domain

Smash Rookie
The thing I don't understand is why Sakurai and the dev teams didn't want to embrace some of the accidents and implement them into the next game in earnest. I get that at least for Brawl they wanted to purge the engine of everything that made Melee competitive, but at least wavedashing is just pretty cool to do for a casual standpoint.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
The thing I don't understand is why Sakurai and the dev teams didn't want to embrace some of the accidents and implement them into the next game in earnest. I get that at least for Brawl they wanted to purge the engine of everything that made Melee competitive, but at least wavedashing is just pretty cool to do for a casual standpoint.
Sakurai thinks that beginners wouldn't be able to play a game like Melee and how everything is like a Mountain, where only the strongest and most dedicated of players will be on that mountain playing said game. They don't embrace what Melee did because he wants to make Smash easier to play. This is said all here: http://smashboards.com/threads/saku...titive-players-it-will-have-no-future.384952/

One thing for sure I know about Melee is that it's really difficult to play. You gotta master the majority of the techs, as well as find a way to play with others via Netplay or local tournaments. Games like Melee and even PM take very solid skill that, trust me, others simply cannot do. Melee is very different from Brawl and Smash 4, changing people's perspective completley on competitive play on Smash. Those select players we're used to the mechanics of 1 game, and then once they play Melee competitvely, everything changes from character and stage advantage to how well your fingers can handle tech-skill.

My point is Sakurai wants to make Smash as easily accessable as possible, and I personally think he does that very well with Smash 4. If every future Smash game was very similar to Melee, there would be less newcomers since those people don't want to devote as much as say, Mew2king or Mang0.

Frostav

Smash Apprentice
No it isn't. Melee is one of the easiest fighting games out there. Unless you're going competitive, you can have a blast with your friends in minutes! Indeed, when Brawl came out, I remember that my group frequently went back to Melee because even then, we recognized and enjoyed Melee's fast pace compared to Brawl.

Smash is more than just competitive. For every competitive player here on Smashboards there's 500 people playing on Corneria with items on. Sakurai decided to spite a tiny group of people who didn't do anything wrong besides play the game in a way he didn't like. Plenty of casuals played and enjoyed Melee just fine.

kingPiano

Smash Ace
What is wrong with people these days? Why do you care so much whether other people think it's an accident or not, or if wave-dashing is a glitch or not?

Form an opinion, and recognize that not all people share your same opinion. This will save you a lot of wasted time in the future on the internet.

Last edited:

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
No it isn't. Melee is one of the easiest fighting games out there. Unless you're going competitive, you can have a blast with your friends in minutes! Indeed, when Brawl came out, I remember that my group frequently went back to Melee because even then, we recognized and enjoyed Melee's fast pace compared to Brawl.

Smash is more than just competitive. For every competitive player here on Smashboards there's 500 people playing on Corneria with items on. Sakurai decided to spite a tiny group of people who didn't do anything wrong besides play the game in a way he didn't like. Plenty of casuals played and enjoyed Melee just fine.
What I meant when I said that was if you were going purely competitive, Melee is the hardest. Anyone could casually pick up Melee and play it the way Sakurai tried to do so, and that's fine of course. Melee at it's purest competitive spirit takes one hell of a long time to master.
What is wrong with people these days? Why do you care so much whether other people think it's an accident or not, or if wave-dashing is a glitch or not?
The words of my brother when he couldn't beat me at Melee or Project M simply because he thought it was very cheap to do Wavedashing and L-canceling and what not. They still add skill to the competitive side of Melee, exploit or not, might I add changed competitive smash as we know it. My possible theory is because players like those haven't been exposed to that kind of competitive play in Smash and never been used to it. Either way, I agree with you. People really need to just stop b**ching that it's an exploit and it shouldn't count in the game. Otherwise, go play Smash 4 if anyone is bothered by it.

Frostav

Smash Apprentice
What I meant when I said that was if you were going purely competitive, Melee is the hardest. Anyone could casually pick up Melee and play it the way Sakurai tried to do so, and that's fine of course. Melee at it's purest competitive spirit takes one hell of a long time to master.
Well...duh. Any competitive game takes time to master, but you don't have to put that time in unless you wish. It takes years upon years of work to get good at sports, but that doesn't stop kids from having basketball ball matches in their driveway.

kingPiano

Smash Ace
And I read the article....basically didn't really bring up anything convincing or even new to the "argument"
It's kind of like religious people writing long articles about how evolution doesn't exist and then talking about how bananas fit in your hand perfectly. "ZOMG PROOF, STILL DON'T BELIEVE ME?".

Here I'll give my opinion, and only because I'm sure it's stuff you hadn't thought of before:
It is an accident, a lot of it is an accident. The balance sure is a huge accident since only like 6-8 characters can really compete with each other. The wave-dashing is an accident, a common phenomena in programming (I've made Flash platformers and coded various iOS games) where elements and assets are able to play off each other and create an unexpected side effect. When coding gets so complex it's a really common occurrence in computer science, and a LOT of times the accident becomes an awesome game mechanic (sometimes even inspiring other games). This 100% was an accident, and they might have actually noticed and thought "wow that's cool let's leave it in" except it's not in the flippin' manual....so they didn't know about it. They've also since said that none of that was intended then removed it from Brawl and added in tripping because they hate that people played Melee competitively (remember how they wanted to stop all tournament play of the game *dur dur*)

Just do one wave dash with Luigi and you'll realize this. It's f***ing sexy, but no way was that intended. It's just an anomaly of the air dodge physics interacting with the characters traction and speed value. Now do Luigi's WD off a platform while shooting a fireball....yea that's an accident.

Also.....Kirby
^ that's proof enough it's an accident lawlz

Capricorn Genesis

Smash Cadet
NNID
Capricornicus
And I read the article....basically didn't really bring up anything convincing or even new to the "argument"
It's kind of like religious people writing long articles about how evolution doesn't exist and then talking about how bananas fit in your hand perfectly. "ZOMG PROOF, STILL DON'T BELIEVE ME?". First off, your analogy is absurd. The writer seriously looked into this and hasn't pulled anything out of his ass. Plenty of assumptions, but they're reasonable ones.

Here I'll give my opinion, and only because I'm sure it's stuff you hadn't thought of before:
It is an accident, a lot of it is an accident. The balance sure is a huge accident since only like 6-8 characters can really compete with each other. Balance is only an issue in high level play, where the engine actively works against various characters. The wave-dashing is an accident, a common phenomena in programming (I've made Flash platformers and coded various iOS games) where elements and assets are able to play off each other and create an unexpected side effect. The applications of wave-dashing were an accident, and the writer never said that it was intended that way. In fact, he only brought it up once. When coding gets so complex it's a really common occurrence in computer science, and a LOT of times the accident becomes an awesome game mechanic (sometimes even inspiring other games). This 100% was an accident I only see comments saying it's a glitch, when it's actually an exploit. Nobody is denying it wasn't intended, and they might have actually noticed and thought "wow that's cool let's leave it in" except it's not in the flippin' manual Not every damn thing is put in a game manual. It would instead be a full-fledged guide....so they didn't know about it. They've also since said that none of that was intended then removed it from Brawl and added in tripping because they hate that people played Melee competitively (remember how they wanted to stop all tournament play of the game *dur dur*)

Just do one wave dash with Luigi and you'll realize this. It's f***ing sexy true, but no way was that intended. It's just an anomaly of the air dodge physics interacting with the characters traction and speed value. Now do Luigi's WD off a platform while shooting a fireball....yea that's an accident.

Also.....Kirby
^ that's proof enough it's an accident lawlz
You claim you read the article but fail to understand many of Goldenyumyum's points. He's shown the in-game pointers which hold true even in the metagame, meaning that the developers took care in making the characters's playstyle integral and not too loose. Shield mechanics and such prevent the game from leaning too much toward one type of combat approach, where the sequels are obviously more defense oriented.

anikom15

Smash Apprentice
So Melee is The Empire Strikes Back.

I agree the developers wanted the game to have great depth while remaining accessible. That's something I wish Sakurai would understand. Great accidents just don't happen in computer science, and as a kid the trophy descriptions gave me the impression that the game had greater depth than I had experienced with my friends.

And remember that people change. I'm sure Sakurai wasn't nearly as anti-competitive as he is now, if at all.

Last edited:

kingPiano

Smash Ace
You claim you read the article but fail to understand many of Goldenyumyum's points. He's shown the in-game pointers which hold true even in the metagame, meaning that the developers took care in making the characters's playstyle integral and not too loose. Shield mechanics and such prevent the game from leaning too much toward one type of combat approach, where the sequels are obviously more defense oriented.
C'mon now every single one of your replies was incorrect and bordeline brainwashed.

Balance isn't for competitive or "high level play" only, that is a very dumb statement. Let's say a casual friend and I wanna play: I pick Kirby cause he's my favorite character and my friend picks Marth cause he's cool and loves fire emblem. And then I proceed to get fu**ing rekt 100 games out of 100. Yay fun, thanks Sakurai.

An exploit is a glitch, just like a square is a rectangle. Only difference is a glitch becomes an exploit when it can be used to make a game easier or deeper. Basically taking a flaw and utilizing it to your advantage. The funny thing is that the word glitch in it's native tongue literally means "to slide, or to skid" lol

And yes they would put wave-dashing in the manual, and even if not they would put it in the intro "how to play" mechanics video. Nintendo doesn't make deep twitch dependent mechanics in their games on purpose. They are all about simplicity and blue shells, these days they hate competition and they especially hate allowing skilled players to win their games everytime (Mario Kart anyone? Tripping anyone? Mario party anyone?) They favor their multiplayer games to heavily rely on some luck factor so that the most skilled people don't completely destroy new people, who then in turn might not like the game cause they never win. If they never win, they might not ever buy the game cause it's no fun for them and then Nintendo doesn't get their sweet sweet money.

Last edited:

anikom15

Smash Apprentice
C'mon now every single one of your replies was incorrect and bordeline brainwashed.

Balance isn't for competitive or "high level play" only, that is a very dumb statement. Let's say a casual friend and I wanna play: I pick Kirby cause he's my favorite character and my friend picks Marth cause he's cool and loves fire emblem. And then I proceed to get fu**ing rekt 100 games out of 100. Yay fun, thanks Sakurai.

An exploit is a glitch, just like a square is a rectangle. Only difference is a glitch becomes an exploit when it can be used to make a game easier or deeper. Basically taking a flaw and utilizing it to your advantage. The funny thing is that the word glitch in it's native tongue literally means "to slide, or to skid" lol

And yes they would put wave-dashing in the manual, and even if not they would put it in the intro "how to play" mechanics video. Nintendo doesn't make deep twitch dependent mechanics in their games on purpose. They are all about simplicity and blue shells, these days they hate competition and they especially hate allowing skilled players to win their games everytime (Mario Kart anyone? Tripping anyone? Mario party anyone?) They favor their multiplayer games to heavily rely on some luck factor so that the most skilled people don't completely destroy new people, who then in turn might not like the game cause they never win. If they never win, they might not ever buy the game cause it's no fun for them and then Nintendo doesn't get their sweet sweet money.
L-canceling isn't in the Melee manual (it was in N64).

You are being silly. Nintendo doesn't really care about game difficulty. The individual game directors are the ones that make that call. Nintendo has made a lot of games that are more skill focused like F-Zero and Star Fox. They also purposely put all the miniboosting shenanigans in Mario Kart. I haven't played much of the new games, but that required some serious skill in MK64.

kingPiano

Smash Ace
L-canceling isn't in the Melee manual (it was in N64).

You are being silly. Nintendo doesn't really care about game difficulty. The individual game directors are the ones that make that call. Nintendo has made a lot of games that are more skill focused like F-Zero and Star Fox. They also purposely put all the miniboosting shenanigans in Mario Kart. I haven't played much of the new games, but that required some serious skill in MK64.
Okay so then you basically just agreed with me. There ya go.

Only problem here is that you have one of your facts wrong, L-canceling was not in the SSB64 manual. It was on the website.

The game is accidental in that it surpassed anyone's expectations.

The creators gave the fans a blueprint and tools. The fans made it intentional for this game to never be forgotten nor diminishing.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
@ kingPiano kingPiano
The collision and sliding part of wavelanding isn't what's unnatural or accidental, it's a decision of how the chars should interact with ground while airdodging. It's actually the most intuitive way to handle the situation. Think about other possible solutions that avoid sliding: One would be to set velocity to zero when landing. I think that would look very weird, when you hit the ground with very high speed and then suddenly stop for no reason. Other one that comes to mind is to simply have no collisions when airdodging, and let chars just float above the ground until their horizontal movement ceases. I don't see how that would be more natural.

So the real 'glitch' and unnatural thing here is having a directional airdodge in the first place. It's not coincidence that brawl version of airdodge isn't directional one.

And also I find it pretty hard to believe that the development team would have been so incompetent that they didn't test or even think how the airdodge to ground collision they programmed worked in action :laugh:. Of course the developers knew about wls / wds.

kingPiano

Smash Ace
@ kingPiano kingPiano
The collision and sliding part of wavelanding isn't what's unnatural or accidental, it's a decision of how the chars should interact with ground while airdodging. It's actually the most intuitive way to handle the situation. Think about other possible solutions that avoid sliding: One would be to set velocity to zero when landing. I think that would look very weird, when you hit the ground with very high speed and then suddenly stop for no reason. Other one that comes to mind is to simply have no collisions when airdodging, and let chars just float above the ground until their horizontal movement ceases. I don't see how that would be more natural.

So the real 'glitch' and unnatural thing here is having a directional airdodge in the first place. It's not coincidence that brawl version of airdodge isn't directional one.

And also I find it pretty hard to believe that the development team would have been so incompetent that they didn't test or even think how the airdodge to ground collision they programmed worked in action :laugh:. Of course the developers knew about wls / wds.
It's clear you have no idea how computer programming or game design works. There are global variables and nested object values that can be affected by anything and interact freely (unless you reset them). And if not properly QA'ed they will have unintended or unforeseen results (it's impossible to catch everything). I'm sure you don't know but think about how long it took players to figure out wavedashing. Longer than it takes to find most glitches and exploits from most games, which means it very well could have been missed by the QA team. There have been much more critical game breaking glitches and bugs that have been found days after release of a game... do you think those were intended as well? Those got past their respective QA teams

If Nintendo is so perfect and they're programmers are so immaculate then why did they have a different PAL version of the game....why do they keep patching the other Smash games? WHy can you speed run some Zelda games in 5 minutes? You have to be extremely ignorant to think that every glitch, bug or anomaly in a game is intended. Was the yoyo glitch intended? Was the Mewtwo teleport glitch intended? Isn't it strange how only some characters can have a perfect invincibility ledge stall? I'm sure that unbalanced feature was intended too huh? Were wobbles intended (a move that is banned in major national tourneys)?

Last edited:

tauKhan

Smash Lord
I admit that I have zero experience in game programming, and have only done very basic programming in general. But judging from your post you seem to not know how wd works. And where did I give you the idea that Nintendo games doesn't have glitches or that yoyo glitch was intended? Of course they do and yoyo glitch is a clear glitch of which workings I don't have any understanding in.

I'll try this again. My argument is that there's nothing glitchy about wds/wls. When you airdodge, your characters velocity is set to 2.79000 ingame units in the direction of your control stick input. Then if you hit the ground, you enter LandingFallSpecial animation and your horizontal velocity component remains the same. During the LandingFallSpecial traction decelerates you each frame exactly as it normally does in the game. So could you tell me where the glitch is? The only strange thing is airdodge setting velocity variable to a fixed value, but I think you should see why that is so.

And do you seriously think the developers were so stupid, that they programmed a specific animation for ground collision during airdodge, but they didn't know and test what happens to velocity during that animation?

kingPiano

Smash Ace
I admit that I have zero experience in game programming, and have only done very basic programming in general. But judging from your post you seem to not know how wd works. And where did I give you the idea that Nintendo games doesn't have glitches or that yoyo glitch was intended? Of course they do and yoyo glitch is a clear glitch of which workings I don't have any understanding in.

I'll try this again. My argument is that there's nothing glitchy about wds/wls. When you airdodge, your characters velocity is set to 2.79000 ingame units in the direction of your control stick input. Then if you hit the ground, you enter LandingFallSpecial animation and your horizontal velocity component remains the same. During the LandingFallSpecial traction decelerates you each frame exactly as it normally does in the game. So could you tell me where the glitch is? The only strange thing is airdodge setting velocity variable to a fixed value, but I think you should see why that is so.

And do you seriously think the developers were so stupid, that they programmed a specific animation for ground collision during airdodge, but they didn't know and test what happens to velocity during that animation?
Nintendo programmed, QA'ed and released Brawl with MetaKnight as is.....so yea I do believe that Nintendo programmers are pretty stupid. They definitely are clueless about how to balance a fighting game....or any competitive game actually.

I'm not even going to acknowledge your copy paste explanation of the object physics in the game. Reading something on the internet doesn't make you an expert on anything. It's so sad that kids think that these days. I've been programming Obj-C, Action script and JavaScript for about 10 years now and have made many games and applications. So Just stop, it's becoming laughable.

Here's your logic, which makes no sense:
Explain a glitch or exploit in code > WOAH that means it was intended and on purpose, SEE! lol.
Explain how the yo yo glitch works too, in the code....WOAH that means it was intended it's IN the code and it's repeatable! Must be what Nintendo wanted. CONFIRMED. Wobbles CONFIRMED! Moon-walking CONFIRMED! I CAN SEE IT IN THE CODE!

Your mislead beliefs can also be easily stopped by 2 simple facts. 1) They intentionally took out wave dashing for EVERY OTHER SINGLE FOLLOWING GAME. If they meant to do it why remove it? And 2) Sakurai himself said it was never intended.

Last edited:

anikom15

Smash Apprentice
You do realize that Nintendo is not a game developer, just a publisher, right? They have in-house development teams, and none of those have made any of the Smash games. 64 & Melee were programmed by HAL Laboratory. Brawl was programmed by an ad-hoc team which is IMO the main reason for delays and the lack of polish of Brawl (ad-hoc teams don't work well because there is a lack of synergy, i.e. the developers don't know each other as well). Smash 4 was developed by Sora and Bandai Namco. (I'm not sure who did most of the work.)

As for wavedashing, it was put in as a solution to a problem (airdodging while hitting the ground). This is obvious because the state changes are clearly man-made. The devs just didn't think it could be used as an AT. This is common in all sorts of games, and doesn't mean the game was not meant to be played competitively (i.e. 1v1). There is a lot more to Melee than wavedashing regardless.

Last edited:

kingPiano

Smash Ace
You do realize that Nintendo is not a game developer, just a publisher, right? They have in-house development teams, and none of those have made any of the Smash games. 64 & Melee were programmed by HAL Laboratory. Brawl was programmed by an ad-hoc team which is IMO the main reason for delays and the lack of polish of Brawl (ad-hoc teams don't work well because there is a lack of synergy, i.e. the developers don't know each other as well). Smash 4 was developed by Sora and Bandai Namco. (I'm not sure who did most of the work.)

As for wavedashing, it was put in as a solution to a problem (airdodging while hitting the ground). This is obvious because the state changes are clearly man-made. The devs just didn't think it could be used as an AT. This is common in all sorts of games, and doesn't mean the game was not meant to be played competitively (i.e. 1v1). There is a lot more to Melee than wavedashing regardless.
Nintendo is the last stop for Quality Control and setting requirements so they are ultimately responsible for everything that ends up in the game and how it turns out. So in order to not have to explain a paragraph every time you just use Nintendo. Any other pedantic points?

Trying to take digs over semantics and not replying to actual questions that just stumped you is a pretty clear indication of your argument being full of crap.

Here's another reason why Wave-dashing wasn't intended......the CPUs don't use it and can't use it. The commands or input combinations aren't even possible in their AI structures. I win.

Last edited:

SAUS

Smash Ace
Here's another reason why Wave-dashing wasn't intended......the CPUs don't use it and can't use it. The commands or input compinations aren't even possible in their AI structures. I win.
lol this is such a terrible example. CPUs don't use more than 1 recovery move. They grab when you start jump squat. They powershield everything. They don't L-cancel. I don't think they ever even run (only dash grabs and dash attack off of the initial dash). They also don't tech. WTH is this example?

anikom15

Smash Apprentice
HAL is not in-house. They are associated with Nintendo in the sense that Nintendo holds the rights to various IPs that HAL has traditionally developed, but they are an independent company.

The Super Mario Club debugs all the Nintendo games, but the directors are the ones responsible for handling QA effectively. Nintendo has no motivation to make games balanced. They are more concerned about it not having serious bugs like debug menu access. This is apparent in the varying quality of various Nintendo-published games. For example, the R&D games have comparatively few and minor bugs while Game Freak's games are notorious for serious bugs.

I'm just trying to guage how much you actually know about professional game development, which is a reflection of your ability to posit whether or not Melee was developed with competitive gaming in mind.

Top Bottom