• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Melee, Hacks, and You -- New Hackers Start Here, in the OP!

Colten

Smash Cadet
I started adding custom music to the 20XX pack a few months ago using HPSAuto_1.0.1(BugFix). I would change my music file to a wav file and then into a hps file with the program. Recently I wanted to change the music but now every wav file I change into hps seems to come out as the same song I put in months ago. Anyone know what would cause this?

EDIT: I was changing my mp3 to wav manually by changing the name. When I used a program to convert the mp3 into a wav file it started working.

However the game seems to be freezing a lot. Any idea what could cause this?

Last edited:

Colten

Smash Cadet
The musics you're putting in are too big.

Use meleehps
What is the limit on the file?
Could I use a program to reduce the wav file size or is the length the problem? Would turning off the loop help?

EDIT: Trying out meleehps now, the blocks at the end were 1000, is that way too big? The HPS file is now only 1.36 MB with meleehps now instead of 27-28 MB when I was using HPS Auto though

Also does it have to be a wav when using Audacity? The file would be a lot smaller if I used an MP3 since the wav version is a lot bigger

EDIT2: I followed all the steps but my song repeats at around 40 seconds. I have songs that are about 2 1/2 minutes to as big as almost 8 minutes. Is it possible for these full songs to be played all the way through and then looped? If I don't shrink the iso using GCMUtility the game won't load any stages, is this the cause?

Last edited:

krvntn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cyke_g
Yeah, just edit your song so the end loops with the start and then make a normal loop. By my experience custom loops sucks ass.

HeadSpace22

Smash Rookie
I'd like some help on what I thought would be a fairly simple problem. My goal is to cause G&W to use nair when I input bair. In PIGw.dat, I found the region for the bair (0x8308) and replaced the whole 48 digit string with the data for nair (at 0x82D8). The timing and strength of the bair was now nair's, but instead of the parachute coming out, G&W was holding onto the turtle. I suspected it was due to specific textures being attached to G&W when he performed certain moves. I tried replacing his nair with bair, and as expected, a parachute came out instead of the turtle.

I also noticed that as G&W lands from the new bair, the old landing animation from bair still remains. I would have thought that since the pointer to the hitbox was swapped to nair's, it would behave exactly like nair, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

I'm not as invested in changing the landing animation, but I would like to know how to get the parachute to come out in my new bair.

PS, if there is a much easier way that involves some kind of subroutine jump to nair when bair is inputted, I would be all ears...

Myougi

My posts are gluten free.
I'd like some help on what I thought would be a fairly simple problem. My goal is to cause G&W to use nair when I input bair. In PIGw.dat, I found the region for the bair (0x8308) and replaced the whole 48 digit string with the data for nair (at 0x82D8). The timing and strength of the bair was now nair's, but instead of the parachute coming out, G&W was holding onto the turtle. I suspected it was due to specific textures being attached to G&W when he performed certain moves. I tried replacing his nair with bair, and as expected, a parachute came out instead of the turtle.

I also noticed that as G&W lands from the new bair, the old landing animation from bair still remains. I would have thought that since the pointer to the hitbox was swapped to nair's, it would behave exactly like nair, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

I'm not as invested in changing the landing animation, but I would like to know how to get the parachute to come out in my new bair.

PS, if there is a much easier way that involves some kind of subroutine jump to nair when bair is inputted, I would be all ears...
You should just be able to use something like Crazy Hand to replace the animations Game & Watch's nair and landing the nair to his bair's animations respectfully.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
What is the limit on the file?
Could I use a program to reduce the wav file size or is the length the problem? Would turning off the loop help?

EDIT: Trying out meleehps now, the blocks at the end were 1000, is that way too big? The HPS file is now only 1.36 MB with meleehps now instead of 27-28 MB when I was using HPS Auto though

Also does it have to be a wav when using Audacity? The file would be a lot smaller if I used an MP3 since the wav version is a lot bigger

EDIT2: I followed all the steps but my song repeats at around 40 seconds. I have songs that are about 2 1/2 minutes to as big as almost 8 minutes. Is it possible for these full songs to be played all the way through and then looped? If I don't shrink the iso using GCMUtility the game won't load any stages, is this the cause?
When you initially import your song into Audacity to start editing it, it doesn't matter if it is a WAV or MP3.

Did you save your changes to the main.asm file? You're missing a step somewhere.

To put HPS files into your ISO:
http://www.reddit.com/r/SSBM/comments/30vdcc/replacing_music_in_melee_in_5_minutes/
Skip the entire HPS Auto part of the video and use the HPS generated from Melee HPS.
Yeah, just edit your song so the end loops with the start and then make a normal loop. By my experience custom loops sucks ***.
95% of the songs I created on the OP are custom loops. Just follow the guide.

Last edited:

HeadSpace22

Smash Rookie
You should just be able to use something like Crazy Hand to replace the animations Game & Watch's nair and landing the nair to his bair's animations respectfully.
As far as I can tell, using the Animation Swapping feature of Crazy Hand only edits the animation segments of the move I am replacing.

So it replaces
000009A8 000473C0 00001ADC 00004E70 00000018 00000000

with
000009A8 0004E2A0 00001CC0 00004E70 00000018 00000000

I was already doing this, plus replacing 00004E70 with 00004D98 to get the same hitbox properties as nair. I believe the turtle is being attached somewhere else when bair is inputted, but I can't even begin to figure out where.

Last edited:

krvntn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cyke_g
@ Achilles1515 Achilles1515 Well I did follow it though, but it doesn't answers my needs because apparently, you're forced to religiously put the values of the loop end based on the starting block calculated via your excel file. Otherwise it crashes at the end of the song. I mean, okay, right, but "custom" "custoooom" ? It implies I can put whatever I want no ? I just edit my songs so the start & the end loops correctly with a normal loop now, it's less strain.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
@ Achilles1515 Achilles1515 Well I did follow it though, but it doesn't answers my needs because apparently, you're forced to religiously put the values of the loop end based on the starting block calculated via your excel file. Otherwise it crashes at the end of the song. I mean, okay, right, but "custom" "custoooom" ? It implies I can put whatever I want no ? I just edit my songs so the start & the end loops correctly with a normal loop now, it's less strain.
I don't understand what you're talking about. The end of your file is when you want to loop, and then you specify which block to loop back to. Line your loop-back-to point to be at the start of a block.

krvntn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cyke_g
Well, I mean, when using meleehps, following the steps and all, giving your hpshelper the values and then taking what it gives me back, everything works fine, but if I change the "Blockloop" (leaving the blockstart alone in the main.ssm) it doesn't like it and crashes the game at the end of the song, where the loop would normally take place.

I'm probably doing something really wrong here ahah. Uh.

Last edited:

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Holy sh*t I just noticed that you redid the whole OP. This is great! So organized and stylish. I'm loving it.

flieskiller

Smash Journeyman
Anybody have a way to have the score display show its number even when stock mode is at on?

zankyou

Smash Lord
THANK GOD THE COUNTLESS HOURS I SPENT STUDYING THE DAT FILE ARENT GOING TO BE WASTED

zankyou

Smash Lord
It involved me making the structure from scratch and it was fairly involved trial and error. Ill probably make a new thread about model hacks once I figure out if its possible to make new bone structures instead of replacing others. I have a few leads but I need a quick break.

Last edited:

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
heheh, hi @ Z zankyou I hope to catch up to you shortly :)
congrats so far, I'm guessing your work was pretty easy, and far easier than my work :p
I may just end up needing custom structure group definitions for specific games, with particular "export as" settings on my UI :p
this format is a nightmare XD

EDIT:
btw, if you havn't noticed:

^these guys used to give me problems and failed to import
also, I've fixed that bone issue now :)

also supporting Kirby Air Ride:

and Wii Channel TV:

^ Lars gets credit for this one (he wanted the images... lol)

if you have an idea towards the pattern behind writing the format, please let me know ;)

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
Replaced jigglypuffs crown. Hats imminent as soon as I figure out how to change the scale. It ignores the structure for it.

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
why not look for the hat bone :)
I'm not sure if that has any keyframes, but if not, then you're in luck :3

hey, wanna team up with me and use UMC to try to write the format?? :)

send me a request (lemme know it's you) if so :)

zankyou

Smash Lord
why not look for the hat bone :)
I'm not sure if that has any keyframes, but if not, then you're in luck :3

hey, wanna team up with me and use UMC to try to write the format?? :)

send me a request (lemme know it's you) if so :)
The thing is that the hat bone doesnt listen to its structure. Its a root node, the last one. If you or anyone can make it bigger or move it with the structure please let me know.
Last time I looked at UMC it was beyond the scope of things I can do. But now that I understand a bit more Ill look at it again.

Last edited:

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
which jiggs DAT are you using??
PlPrBu??

I can look into it and figure out the bone you need to adjust the default scale of :)

displaying bone names is something I'd planned for a future update, but I could work on it for this release :)

EDIT:

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
which jiggs DAT are you using??
PlPrBu??

I can look into it and figure out the bone you need to adjust the default scale of :)

displaying bone names is something I'd planned for a future update, but I could work on it for this release :)
Plprye.dat
The crown is the 3rd root node. Editing the structure didnt do anything for me. also I cant move the structure to a later point in the file.
I just made a script to extract coordinates and build the vert order so its not too pressing since I can edit them like that.

Last edited:

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
yea from what you're saying, the crown model is the 3rd root node ;)

I'm talking about the bone that holds the crown:

^since bones have no names, the name is derrived from it's EXACT offset.
(sorry about the horrid image, having trouble getting UMC's viewer to work with me)

anyways, find that bone struct in the DAT and edit the 3 scale values.
if that bone has no keyframes in the animations, you should be in luck with a working scale. ;)

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
just thought I'd mention I'd fixed the bonename display :)

@modders: lemme know if you'd like to know the offsets of certain particular bones :)
actually screw that, I'm too busy to take on another thing XD

you guys can download UMC from here:
https://copy.com/W8pRpGqb72as7DGn
^do note, as of this post, it's not quite releasable yet and there's quite a few borked things.
(this is my repo, so expect many changes as time passes)

EDIT:
didn't check the share link before I posted... looks like copy's still giving me issues guys :(

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
Creating nodes doesnt seem feasible right now so Im going to take a step back from it. I can only successfully edit current object node. Possibly create an object node but it only worked once on a stage although I didnt test stages so it might work for that.

So just so you guys know this is the model I got the hat from. Jiggs models are basically the same but Im going to try to port it over anyways as a test. Its a bit more complicated since brawl lumps more vertices together but I could probably separate it with trial and error.

Last edited:

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
brawl lumps more vertices together
??

I've always known Melee to have global vertices while Brawl always had the separated local vertices for each mesh >.>
the only difference I see with them is that Melee uses lower quality bs16 pseudo-floats for verts where Brawl uses full-out bf32 floats.

Brawl was always the easier format for vectors... heh

EDIT:
something else I've known melee for was NBT vectors:

UMC still doesn't support the B and T yet... lol
that'll be by next update :p
(VIEWER needs a minor overhaul to support these)

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
@ Tcll Tcll

Melee lumps every mesh together into one group I think. But it breaks down every object to smaller parts than brawl with the display list. So brawl has more meshes but melee has more displaylist which gives greater control overall. Ive only been studying Brawls format for like a week so I dont know too much.

Last edited:

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
ah, I'd send you my MDL0 script, but apparently that's something that wasn't recovered in the wreckage... gonna have to look through my deleted copy workspace crap before I can show it to ya and help you out :)

I've been needing some help with it myself though... the weighting isn't correct and the *first area of the MDL0 that isn't coming to mind* code needs alot of rework.

EDIT:
now that I think about it, the way Melee structuring behaves is actually quite similar to Brawl.
Melee just has the separate objects in tree form rather than array form.

one thing that gets me though is, when melee was compiled, it seems to have split 1 display list into several display lists.
the way UMC handles this is by creating a separate object for each display list...
basically, I have 1 object for part of Pichu's arm and his chest, while I have another object for a smaller part of Pichu's other arm.

it seems that the weighting has some sort of influence on object composition, as such, it seems separate objects are created for separate weight groups:

^ first time normals actually imported correctly o.o

also just recently found out my export functions aren't working correctly...
I had to hack my backend in my OBJ export script just to get it working. D:

Last edited:

gamerfreak5665

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I was wondering about how to change audio volume of already existing .hps files. Is it possible? Because I downloaded a few custom .hps files, some are too loud (I want to use them for all star mode, so decreasing music volume in game is not an option) Sorry if I missed a post explaining how to do it, I searched this thread but couldn't find much.

zankyou

Smash Lord
@achilles
Did you and IE ever look into the character ID in the char data offsets thats 'probably related' to bone mapping? I can only assume it has to be the reason why I cant add or delete objects for character files but can do so for stages.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
@achilles
Did you and IE ever look into the character ID in the char data offsets thats 'probably related' to bone mapping? I can only assume it has to be the reason why I cant add or delete objects for character files but can do so for stages.
I have never looked into anything related to bone mapping, but I've seen that ID used for all sorts of things unrelated to bones. One example is if a character is about to enter a shield action state, it checks the ID for Yoshi to then enter special shielding functions. It's used for all sorts of stuff.

It's been a long time, but I believe I was messing with the move swap code and tried changing the char ID as well. When I did it, the character's body started acting funny and then the game promptly froze.

zankyou

Smash Lord
Creating nodes doesnt seem feasible right now so Im going to take a step back from it. I can only successfully edit current object node. Possibly create an object node but it only worked once on a stage although I didnt test stages so it might work for that.

So just so you guys know this is the model I got the hat from. Jiggs models are basically the same but Im going to try to port it over anyways as a test. Its a bit more complicated since brawl lumps more vertices together but I could probably separate it with trial and error.
So Im pretty certain I can import jiggs model. Except I actually looked at the model first and they are the exact same.

Edit: I lied. Her arms are just a tiny bit smaller in one model.

Last edited:
Top Bottom