• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Melee, Hacks, and You -- New Hackers Start Here, in the OP!

flieskiller

Smash Journeyman
Anyone have a code to limit the number of names that can be written in the save? I think I've reached the limit for my custom save and that would be the best solution for me based on my knowledge.

krvntn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cyke_g
I don't know if this is the right place but

I made a custom setup blah blah blah, you know. It was used yesterday for our weeklies, worked fine on 1v1 BUT, when used for teams, whenever somebody hovered over mewtwo, the game crashed. Do you guys have any idea what's causing that ? I thought of the mnslchr but it doesn't make the game crash when used for 1v1s. I'm lost.

Last edited:

SinsOfApathy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Psion312
Slowly but surely, I've been porting my functions over to IDA, so that I can have the beautiful graphs and cross-refs that Dolphin lacks.

This is the 1/4 of the graph of all the functions that call SetPlayerState, which should essentially be every move in the game.

Last edited:

SinsOfApathy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Psion312
IDA is brutal, good luck man
Thankfully, I have some past experience with it for malware reversing. Plus it was mostly for generating Pseudo-C (which sadly the disasm can't do with PPC) and having easily traversable assembly versus Dolphin. Plus, since I know the file offsets from Dolphin's debugger (-3420 from entry point), I can jump back and forth between the two.

I really wanted to go into the state machine, since Windoze NT (the OpenSmash guy) was looking for a reverser and it got me thinking about it. Plus despite what the graph says, I'm inclined to think it's not that complicated.

GopherHat

Smash Cadet
Thankfully, I have some past experience with it for malware reversing. Plus it was mostly for generating Pseudo-C (which sadly the disasm can't do with PPC) and having easily traversable assembly versus Dolphin. Plus, since I know the file offsets from Dolphin's debugger (-3420 from entry point), I can jump back and forth between the two.

I really wanted to go into the state machine, since Windoze NT (the OpenSmash guy) was looking for a reverser and it got me thinking about it. Plus despite what the graph says, I'm inclined to think it's not that complicated.
actually it can do ppc. I have it set up on my computer. There is a power pc plugin.

EDIT: oh you said psudo C. Does the JIT recompiler parse the ppc into x86? I think there was an option to find the equivalent line of ppc in x86 in the dolphin debugger. Maybe its possible to convert the program to x86 and then save that to a file and make the psudoC from that and use it as a reference. idk just an idea

Last edited:

SinsOfApathy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Psion312
actually it can do ppc. I have it set up on my computer. There is a power pc plugin.

EDIT: oh you said psudo C. Does the JIT recompiler parse the ppc into x86? I think there was an option to find the equivalent line of ppc in x86 in the dolphin debugger. Maybe its possible to convert the program to x86 and then save that to a file and make the psudoC from that and use it as a reference. idk just an idea
Dolphin supports x86 comparison for some functions, but I'd have to export every single one of them, label them, etc., since Dolphin can't do that. At which point, I should probably just write a parser to manually convert PPC to x86. (Which I have zero intention of doing.

I can read the PPC well enough to replicate it with my own pseudocode, it's just not an automated process.

Temporary_User

Smash Rookie
Hello! I am in need for assistance. I would like to remove a certain texture from the game, a particular image which flashes thrice every time a shield is being hit.

http://smashboards.com/threads/subliminal-embeds-in-melee-shield-animation.404973/

Please see the thread above for more details.

I have Dolphin running 20xx Hackpack in Debug Mode. Now, I understand that I would need to read the game's code somehow whenever a shield is being hit in order to get a clue where this image is being loaded from. The problem is I do not know how to begin with this. Any advice?

SinsOfApathy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Psion312
Does anyone know how to access MMIO registers in Dolphin? Trying to access EXI devices.

corn_on_the_cob

Smash Rookie
Is pokemon stadium weird? I'm trying to tchange the pokeball logo and i follow the steps exactly with no error messages, but the logo does not change, and keeps the old pokeball logo. WHat am i doing wrong?

Edit: I'm using 20xx and it appears like the changes were successful, but only on the alt version of pokemon stadium, the no transformations version. How do I change the pokeball on the standard map?

Last edited:

CeLL

Smash Lord
Is pokemon stadium weird? I'm trying to tchange the pokeball logo and i follow the steps exactly with no error messages, but the logo does not change, and keeps the old pokeball logo. WHat am i doing wrong?

Edit: I'm using 20xx and it appears like the changes were successful, but only on the alt version of pokemon stadium, the no transformations version. How do I change the pokeball on the standard map?
.usd = english version, .dat = japanese version

20XX uses the japanese one as the alt

SnG | Skin

Smash Apprentice

What file are you replacing? Should be GrPs.usd, not GrPs.dat

Edit: Damnit Cell.

Last edited:

corn_on_the_cob

Smash Rookie
Sorry to double post but are the offsets the same in the two versions?

Edit: I just went for it and it appears that the offsets are indeed the same.

Last edited:

CrisPyyy

Smash Rookie
Ok guys, asking for a lot here but here I go...
This is 2015. Modding shouldn't be this hard. What I want is the ULTIMATE HACKING PROGRAM!
It includes a hex editor, texture editor, sound editor etc. and it can be as simple or complicated as you want it.
Any person can hop on and make their own ****ty Fox texture or make Falcon 20x faster, all in a program that writes it's own code and injects it into the ISO.
This is borderline impossible, but it is a dream...

SnG | Skin

Smash Apprentice
Ok guys, asking for a lot here but here I go...
This is 2015. Modding shouldn't be this hard. What I want is the ULTIMATE HACKING PROGRAM!
It includes a hex editor, texture editor, sound editor etc. and it can be as simple or complicated as you want it.
Any person can hop on and make their own ****ty Fox texture or make Falcon 20x faster, all in a program that writes it's own code and injects it into the ISO.
This is borderline impossible, but it is a dream...
If you're willing to put the massive amount of time and effect needed to simply bundle 3 or 4 programs together into one, by all means go for it, but its not really an adequate use of resources. Anyone with the talent/time to do a project like that would be much better suited to actually furthering the current hacking knowledge by figuring out stage hacking, model exporting/importing, duplication of objects, etc.
Honestly literally everything you said can be done with 4 programs and would take under an hour to learn in its entirety, so theres really no point.

flieskiller

Smash Journeyman
If I want to create a custom function that is ran every frame inside a match, is there any suggestion of a certain function to use that it will work fine to base my gecko code on?

SinsOfApathy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Psion312
If I want to create a custom function that is ran every frame inside a match, is there any suggestion of a certain function to use that it will work fine to base my gecko code on?
Gecko codes by nature are run every frame, generally in the VI.

What specifically are you targeting though? I could give you a few functions.

Last edited:

flieskiller

Smash Journeyman
Gecko codes by nature are run every frame, generally in the VI.

What specifically are you targeting though? I could give you a few functions.
I want to check the stocks of each players every frame during a match. And I want to use it with the memory card exploit, this is why I need a function somewhere.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
8016CD98
Not sure of it's complete functionality, but I know it controls updating the game timer every frame along with increasing the match frame counter. Check and make sure, though, and not all of it is executed every frame.

Last edited:

Myougi

My posts are gluten free.
@ Achilles1515 Achilles1515
I noticed a somewhat game-changing bug on Mount Olympus AKA your fixed Snag the Trophies - The platforms don't function as normal platforms. If a character like Link or Young Link try to drop their bombs onto the platforms they will merely fall though, making edge guard setups difficult. I believe this also happens with other items, but I haven't tested that.
The other glaring issue with Snag the Trophies which I'm sure you know about is the spawns.

Do you happen to have fixes for either of these at the moment? Snag the Trophies is almost 100% playable.

Last edited:

SinsOfApathy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Psion312
Does anyone know how to access MMIO registers in Dolphin? Trying to access EXI devices.
Well, I've determined how to modify the registers, since it looks like you just need to write to the 0xCCxxxxxx range, rather than do anything special.

But I still don't have any apparent way to view the registers. Watch set to the registers gives me values, but I'm honestly not sure if it's just garbage (IE. I checked the bit flags for "ON" for EXI device channel 2, and it was on when I only had mem card slot A active.) Plus, I have to hand convert the values, since the registers are just a bunch of bit flags. Ugh.

Also, holy ****, I'm so mad that Dolphin's debugger doesn't show text. With IDA, I've found so many functions, like Fox's B Neutral and Kirby's copy, because there's print functions and strings that say, "An error has occurred with Fox SpecialN!!!" or something like that. Plus, there's references to strings for stages in pretty much all their init functions, so I've mapped out how stages load objects thanks to the "Disable hazard" type codes we have around.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
When at the CSS/Menus in DEVELOP Mode, X+D-pad Up will freeze [pause] the game. Pressing it again will unpause the game.

For a sec there, I thought I was for real freezing the game...

Last edited:

SinsOfApathy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Psion312
When at the CSS/Menus in DEVELOP Mode, X+D-pad Up will freeze [pause] the game. Pressing it again will unpause the game.

For a sec there, I thought I was for real freezing the game...
Menu frame advance confirmed. Next level menuing in 20XX.

jacob91

Smash Cadet
Does anyone know if anyone has made a hack where the only change is the addition of a usable C stick in 1-player? I would really appreciate any help. If it hasn't already been made how simple would it be to do?

Smog

Smash Journeyman
Anyone know how I can install multiple melee games on one flash drive? Like I wanna have 20xx, an original melee, and The Falcon Ditto. But when I do that it copies over the previous version of melee.

SinsOfApathy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Psion312
Anyone know how I can install multiple melee games on one flash drive? Like I wanna have 20xx, an original melee, and The Falcon Ditto. But when I do that it copies over the previous version of melee.
Option 1: Rename the ISO.

Option 2. Don't use a crappy WBFS system, instead try Nintendont where you can just use different folders with /games/.

Option 3: Use an Alternate DOL loader. You'd just run into the issue of 20XX using alt costumes by replacing trophy files.

zankyou

Smash Lord
One of the last things I remember figuring out before I took a break from melee was how to add relocation entries to the relocation table/pointer table. Essentially the relocation table points to other pointers. As long as the entry you add points to a pointer and you change the number of pointers in the header it should work fine. I was using this on the SSS I was working on but thats lost now.

SinsOfApathy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Psion312
One of the last things I remember figuring out before I took a break from melee was how to add relocation entries to the relocation table/pointer table. Essentially the relocation table points to other pointers. As long as the entry you add points to a pointer and you change the number of pointers in the header it should work fine. I was using this on the SSS I was working on but thats lost now.
The tables aren't contiguous, so that'd be a complete nightmare. Especially if you directly modify functions.

zankyou

Smash Lord
The tables aren't contiguous, so that'd be a complete nightmare. Especially if you directly modify functions.
Im referring to the one big relocation table at the end of a file. Its not that bad to edit since shifting it only moves the string table and root table if I remember correctly. Since nothing points to them you dont have to worry about it.

SinsOfApathy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Psion312
I'm referring to the one big relocation table at the end of a file. Its not that bad to edit since shifting it only moves the string table and root table if I remember correctly. Since nothing points to them you dont have to worry about it.
Ah. Yeah, that would be much easier, since the HSD_ARCHIVE_PARSE function checks file size based on the table size, I believe. I thought you were referring to changing every single lookup table in the DOL which would have to be updated for every character function pointer and action state.

krvntn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cyke_g
Yeah, the CPU is a bit weird on this stage.

So I wanted to take a look about why this happens and found this :

That's why. Hitboxes.

These need to be moved and unfortunately, I don't know how to.

Top Bottom