• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Melee, Hacks, and You -- New Hackers Start Here, in the OP!

GopherHat

Smash Cadet
It would have to be a .dol mod if it was going to work. I have a hunch the game constructs the character select objects when you open up the CSS screen. Which means you cant just change values in RAM to add a character slot. This is rather unfortunate as someone needs to go through and see where the objects are constructed in assembler. But before we can do that we need to know WAY more about the way they are stored in RAM. I think that if we have that it might be possible to not only add 2 more character slots, but since the clones are positioned on a different coordinate on the Z-Axis and we know how to change the boundaries of the character icon puck collision thingie, we could push all the icons furthur out in the Z Axis and add more characters :).

I think it would be more likely to expect being able to add stages to the game before characters to the game.

MagicScrumpy

Smash Journeyman
IIRC the CSS icons are independent of the actual CSS. Like, if you swap Falco and Fox's CSS icons, it will only aesthetically do so.

I could be misremembering.

CeLL

Smash Lord
IIRC the CSS icons are independent of the actual CSS. Like, if you swap Falco and Fox's CSS icons, it will only aesthetically do so.

I could be misremembering.
There are many parts to a CSS icon. We know where the images are stored, and to some extent we know where other values (like the character ID to load) are stored thanks to @Jorgasms. He's talking about actually adding a whole icon, which is why he's talking about the dol, which is where all the information about the CSS icons is stored.

@ GopherHat GopherHat I don't think pushing them back on the Z-axis would work. It doesn't look like there is perspective on the CSS. If you don't tilt the screen, the clones appear the exact same size as the other icons, just slightly shifted down. I'd imagine that if you pushed all the icons out on the Z axis that it would simply lower them from the default angle, and only appear farther back if you tilted the screen (like the clones already).

Looking at it, the clones are actually the exact same size as the other icons regardless of how you tilt the screen, and it simply creates an optical illusion with the variable spacing between the clones and other icons and the overlapping of icons. If you tilt it just right, you can make Roy or Pichu look like they are perfectly flat with the others.

To make them smaller I think you'd actually have to, well, make them smaller.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
@ CeLL CeLL ,

Just wanted to mention this real quick, because I know you're working on an ISO decompiler/compiler. For single file overwrites, it would be nice if you kept the functionality of GC-Tool where it asks you if you want to change the file size within the TOC as well as doing the file replacment.

Having this option is super helpful for testing HPS files. I always set them as the menu music so I can listen to them right away on boot up. My “HPS Tester” ISO was rebuilt with the 15 minute HPS renamed to the menu01.hps. So whenever I make an HPS file, I replace the current menu01.hps within the ISO and always click “No” when in asks me to change the size of the file in the TOC. In doing so, GC-Tool and GCR still think that menu01.hps is 30mb (default size), so even if my HPS file I want to test is bigger than the previous HPS I was testing, I still won’t have to rebuild the ISO and can just overwrite it like normal.

If that makes sense. It’s a big time saver for testing some things.

But the popup asking you to change the file size is kind of annoying and confusing if you don't know what it means. It would be cool if it only prompted you if the file you are trying to import is actually different than what is currently in the TOC. So if it's the same size file, it just doesn't even ask you to change because it wouldn't put anything different in the TOC.

Last edited:

CeLL

Smash Lord
@ CeLL CeLL ,

Just wanted to mention this real quick, because I know you're working on an ISO decompiler/compiler. For single file overwrites, it would be nice if you kept the functionality of GC-Tool where it asks you if you want to change the file size within the TOC as well as doing the file replacement.

Having this option is super helpful for testing HPS files. I always set them as the menu music so I can listen to them right away on boot up. My “HPS Tester” ISO was rebuilt with the 15 minute HPS renamed to the menu01.hps. So whenever I make an HPS file, I replace the current menu01.hps within the ISO and always click “No” when in asks me to change the size of the file in the TOC. In doing so, GC-Tool and GCR still think that menu01.hps is 30mb (default size), so even if my HPS file I want to test is bigger than the previous HPS I was testing, I still won’t have to rebuild the ISO and can just overwrite it like normal.

If that makes sense. It’s a big time saver for testing some things.

But the popup asking you to change the file size is kind of annoying and confusing if you don't know what it means. It would be cool if it only prompted you if the file you are trying to import is actually different than what is currently in the TOC. So if it's the same size file, it just doesn't even ask you to change because it wouldn't put anything different in the TOC.
The problem with adding a bigger file without rebuilding is that you will run out of space before the next file in the filesystem. I'm not sure how GC-Tool gets around this but I think I could just move the file (and pointer in the TOC) to the end of ISO and just 0 out where it was before (or leave it with the old file there, if I understand correctly the game will never use any of the information there). But why have a popup? I would just do it automatically if the file size is different. Is there a reason you'd not want to replace the size in the TOC if the new file's size differs from the old file (given that you don't have to rebuild the ISO regardless)?

Achilles1515

Smash Master
The problem with adding a bigger file without rebuilding is that you will run out of space before the next file in the filesystem. I'm not sure how GC-Tool gets around this but I think I could just move the file (and pointer in the TOC) to the end of ISO and just 0 out where it was before (or leave it with the old file there, if I understand correctly the game will never use any of the information there). But why have a popup? I would just do it automatically if the file size is different. Is there a reason you'd not want to replace the size in the TOC if the new file's size differs from the old file (given that you don't have to rebuild the ISO regardless)?
I think you're misunderstanding and I'm not being clear enough.

When you try to replace a file in GC-Tool, it follows this logic:

Is the length of file submitted as replacement greater than the current length of the file in the TOC?

If it is, do not allow it.

If it is not larger, do the replacement, and ask the user if they want to update the TOC value to reflect the length of the file that is about to be used as the replacement.

So if the default music file is 30mb (like if I replaced the menu music with a 30mb file and rebuild using GCR which creates a new TOC), I can replace this file with a 2mb file but "not tell" the ISO that it's actually only 2mb. So next time I load up GC-Tool, I can replace this 2mb with a 5mb file because the TOC still thinks the file size is 30mb and 5 is still smaller than 30.

I would assume that if you tell it to not update the TOC, it pads the file you are about to replace with 00's to equal the length of the TOC value, and then inserts it. (At least that's what I would do).

Last edited:

CeLL

Smash Lord
I think you're misunderstanding and I'm not being clear enough.

When you try to replace a file in GC-Tool, it follows this logic:

Is the length of file submitted as replacement greater than the current length of the file in the TOC?

If it is, do not allow it.

If it is not larger, do the replacement, and ask the user if they want to update the TOC value to reflect the length of the file that is about to be used as the replacement.

So if the default music file is 30mb (like if I replaced the menu music with a 30mb file and rebuild using GCR which creates a new TOC), I can replace this file with a 2mb file but "not tell" the ISO that it's actually only 2mb. So next time I load up GC-Tool, I can replace this 2mb with a 5mb file because the TOC still thinks the file size is 30mb and 5 is still smaller than 30.

I would assume that if you tell it to not update the TOC, it pads the file you are about to replace with 00's to equal the length of the TOC value, and then inserts it. (At least that's what I would do).
Oh I see. Yeah.

flieskiller

Smash Journeyman
Anybody explored the Rainbow Cruise stage, making it a legal stage? The way boat crashes and falls under this part of the stage:

After the "ride" on the boat, the camera could then be locked in this part of the stage. Both ledges can be grabbed, and if we can remove both the "?" (which would be optional, but best) and the "X" (should be removeable, as it's triggered to only have 1 carpet at a time, so it could be modified that it's 0 only or deactivate the carpet function) I painted on the picture above through code, it could make an interesting stage for the 20XXTE as a "Freeze" stage.

I said maybe remove the platforms, because this stage has a lot of platforms that appear/dissapear when the camera is around but not all of thems. I'm not sure if a platform can be removed with Gecko codes. Here is the whole stage, and which platforms stay forever:

There is an infinite Shine Lock place on the boat, but it wouldn't be that bad, compared to the tree and rock forms of Pokémon Stadium, both stages are only temporary, so not broken enough to be banned.

Myougi

My posts are gluten free.
Presenting... Skyrule!
For those unaware, a long long time ago the legendary Milun gave us a stage hack of Hyrule Temple that made the stage competitively viable. The stage, while amazing, had a few issues. All of these issues have been fixed!
  • New name. Skyrule! :p
  • The ceiling is no longer obscenely large, and now matches Battlefield's.
  • Lower Blastzone extended slighty to allow for easier meteor cancels.
  • Camera is fixed for all sides of the stage!
  • Side Blastzones match closely to Pokemon Stadium/Battlefield!
  • A miniature temple sits on a lower unreachable platform to differentiate this version of Skyrule from previous iterations.
  • New music for the stage! (Hyrule Field 1 from Hyrule Warriors) (Optional, but I suggest using it!)
  • Full notes on the stage in the READ ME file included in the .rar.
Enjoy Skyrule! >>Click to Download<<

Last edited:

CeLL

Smash Lord
Courtesy of Steelia:

GrBB = Big Blue

GrCn = Corneria

GrCs = Princess Peach's Castle

GrEF1 = Figure?1
GrEF2 = Figure?2
GrEF3 = Figure?3

GrFs = Fourside

GrFz = Flat Zone

GrGb = Great Bay (Termina)

GrGd = Garden (Kongo Jungle)

GrGr = Green Greens

GrHe = Heal (All-Star)

GrHr = Homerun Contest

GrI1 = Mushroom Kingdom

GrI2 = Mushroom Kingdom II (Subcon)

GrIm = Icicle Mountain

GrIz = Izumi (Fountain of Dreams)

GrKg = Jungle Japes

GrKr = Kraid (Brinstar Depths)

GrMc = Mute City

GrNBa = Battlefield
GrNBr = F-Zero adventure mode stage
GrNFg = Figure Get (Falling trophy stage)
GrNKr = Mushroom Kingdom adventure mode stage
GrNLa = Final Destination
GrNPo = Pushon?
GrNSr = Hyrule Castle chasm (adv. mode stage)
GrNZr = Zebes (Brinstar); "DANGER"?

GrOk = Kongo Jungle (N64)

GrOp = Dream Land (N64)

GrOt = Onett

GrOy = Yoshi's Story (N64)

GrPs = Pokemon Stadium
GrPs1 = Pokemon Stadium {Fire}?
GrPs2 = Pokemon Stadium {Grass}?
GrPs3 = Pokemon Stadium {Water}?
GrPs4 = Pokemon Stadium {Rock}?

GrPu = Pura (Poke Floats)

GrRc = Rainbow Cruise

GrSh = Hyrule Temple

GrSt = Yoshi's Story

GrTCa = Captain Falcon Target Test (TT)
GrTCl = Young Link TT
GrTDk = Donkey Kong TT
GrTDr = Dr. Mario TT

GrTe = "TEST"

GrTFc = Falco TT
GrTFe = Roy TT
GrTFx = Fox TT
GrTGn = Ganondorf TT
GrTGw = Mr. Game & Watch TT
GrTIc = Ice Climbers TT
GrTKb = Kirby TT
GrTKp = Bowser TT
GrTLg = Luigi TT
GrTLk = Link TT
GrTMr = Mario TT
GrTMs = Marth TT
GrTMt = MewtWo TT
GrTNs = Ness TT
GrTPc = Pichu TT
GrTPe = Peach TT
GrTPk = Pikachu TT
GrTPr = Jigglypuff TT
GrTSk = Sheik TT (scrapped)
GrTSs = Samus TT
GrTYs = Yoshi TT
GrTZd = Zelda TT

GrVe = Venom

GrYt = Yoshi's Island

GrZe = Brinstar (Planet Zebes)
Are Jungle Japes and Kongo Jungle switched or am I being an idiot?

Sham Rock

Smash Apprentice
I could use some assistance here.

I need to skip/advance the victory animation of a char to the last frame(where it freezes) on the result screen prematurely. Sadly, i do not know anything how the game loads motion data etc, can anybody give some useful information?

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I could use some assistance here.

I need to skip/advance the victory animation of a char to the last frame(where it freezes) on the result screen prematurely. Sadly, i do not know anything how the game loads motion data etc, can anybody give some useful information?
Can you give more background on what you're trying to do? I'm a little confused by the request but could maybe help. Are you looking to have them start out on the last frame or what?

CeLL

Smash Lord
I remember mention of a one frame video file or something of the sort to replace the longer movies with so there's no chance of freezing, but can't find it anywhere.

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
I remember mention of a one frame video file or something of the sorts to replace the longer movies with so there's no chance of freezing, but can't find it anywhere.
:link:

Edit:
Are Jungle Japes and Kongo Jungle switched or am I being an idiot?
You probably already figured it out, but yeah, I think they're switched, according to a stage file I have. Also, the google docs files' purpose page says they're wrong.

I think there was another mistake of some kind or exclusion in that Steelia list, but I can't remember what it was. There's the docs list above, but also I'll try to make sure the lists here are 100% correct too.

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
I don't know how many of you visit the Melee Codes subforum, so I just wanted to share here that there's now a brand new way to add codes to your game! It also allows you to very easily manage your DOL file without tedious text files. Check it out:

Ideas for functionality and general feedback are appreciated. :)

MagicScrumpy

Smash Journeyman
I'll just whip something up for you and maybe enclose a readme on how to do the sort of thing yourself if you're interested. Fox and Falco can have different-colored lasers. What color(s) do you want? Some hex codes would be nice but aren't necessary.

Miyuki

Smash Rookie
Ill just whip something up for you and maybe enclose a readme on how to do the sort of thing yourself if you're interested. Fox and Falco can have different-colored lasers. What color(s) do you want? Some hex codes would be nice but aren't necessary.

Last edited:

AndySSBM

Smash Cadet
Where can I find the placements and file name for the stock icons? Help would be appreciated.

CeLL

Smash Lord
Steelia didn't have a placements file for stock icons, but I made a list of the offsets here (I think it's actually missing white Sheik lol, easy enough to find now though). They are in IfAll.usd. Achilles found a placements file for the stock icons in MnSlChr.usd (they are used on the results screen) too, I'm too lazy to find the post so I'll just upload it.

Attachments

MagicScrumpy

Smash Journeyman
If you want to do it yourself, Falco's side B color code is located at 0x1EC48 in PlFc.dat, and Fox's is at 0x2204C in PlFx.dat. Both are in the 42 48 color format. Check out http://smashboards.com/threads/changing-color-effects-in-melee.313177/ for more information on working with the 42 48 color format.

Or I can upload my purple Falco and red Fox phantasm colors. Either works for me.

Last edited:

GopherHat

Smash Cadet
Achilles, a friend of mine has requested me to make the combo counter take into account grabs and tech-chases, and make the combo counter last longer. We have a rough idea about how to do this and I sort of know how to write gecko codes/modify the boot.dol file. But in order to do this I think if I want to be able to put it into 20XX i would need the source code for 20XX. Would you be willing to give me a copy of it.

flieskiller

Smash Journeyman
Achilles, a friend of mine has requested me to make the combo counter take into account grabs and tech-chases, and make the combo counter last longer. We have a rough idea about how to do this and I sort of know how to write gecko codes/modify the boot.dol file. But in order to do this I think if I want to be able to put it into 20XX i would need the source code for 20XX. Would you be willing to give me a copy of it.
If he uses the combo counter generated by the game (which I guess he uses), the combo counter resets at 1 when a player grabs someone, as you can try in training mode. He would have to modify the combo system, why may be difficult to do.

Top Bottom