• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

melee after brawl

Samael_78

Smash Journeyman
does anyone have any predictions of what will become of melee after brawl is released? discussion could include anything about the tournament scene to still practicing on melee. im not sure myself, but im a little hesitant towards brawl because i found and still find melee quite enjoyable. since i found it to be such an awesome game, i just wanted to know if there were any other people still planning on playing melee after they get brawl.

Askeflink

Smash Journeyman
People will problary play it like we play SSB, but thats just one possibility. Another is that Brawl suck on the competive part like SSB, when we might see some SSBM-tournaments after Brawl. Remember that a lot of things get a fresh start with Brawl and things gotta be rebuild. It will take a much shorter time than with melee.

I'm not sure, but melee won't die at least. People still enjoy SSB.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
SSBM has really run its course. It's old and cranky. I still love it, but once Brawl hits, Melee interest will drop dramatically. Similar to the current SSB64 fanatics, there will most definitely be groups who continue their dedication to Melee (whether it be stubborn pride or a mere lack of funds for Brawl). Along with this, the Melee crowd will probably say that Melee > Brawl for a good while. I still run into people who say Smash64 > Melee regardless of the fact that the entire competitive world plays Melee, and the Smash64 forums have been reduced to a single section.

One important fact to consider is that Wii can play Gamecube games. So, I'd suspect that Melee will overlap with Brawl much better than SSB64 did with Melee. It would be relatively painless to host Melee/Brawl combination tournaments for a while.

pdk

Smash Lord
it will still have tourneys for a few years at least, same thing with any big fighter that gets a sequel

L5LM_Gtlink

Smash Apprentice
Depends on how good of a game Brawl is. If the online is excellent and there are a lot of technical things to learn, the melee may just die down. But if Brawl doesn't really live up to a lot of peoples expectatios, well don't really see the melee scene really going anywhere.

But I highly doubt that Brawl is gonna suck

TheLegend

Smash Ace
The melee scene will very likey continue to maintain its' fanbase, but after about 1 year I have no expectations that there will be very many melee tourneys left that aren't dwarfed by Brawl.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Gonna agree with chosen here, but i still think it will be less significant then the jump to melee was mainly cause you can play both on the Wii

Samael_78

Smash Journeyman
One important fact to consider is that Wii can play Gamecube games. So, I'd suspect that Melee will overlap with Brawl much better than SSB64 did with Melee. It would be relatively painless to host Melee/Brawl combination tournaments for a while.
i had thought about that, but kinda shrugged it off because of the time needed to go back and forth using one Wii. but now that i think about its not such a bad idea to hold tournaments that compliment both games on one system.

MuseLives

Smash Journeyman
Enjoying some leisurely chaos...in New Jersey
Pretty much everything to be said has been said already. I think so long as brawl doesn't flop as a competitve game, melee will have a rapid decline and then a slow trickle until it's down to fanatics. Assuming melee comes out this summer, I think the melee tournaments will hold out decently until somewhere close to the beginning of 2008, and then begin to come to a halt where a melee exclusive tourney will be rather rare. This is assuming brawl doesn't flop >_>

But a tournament featuring both games would definitely be a plausible, easy to manage idea considering that both games can be run on the same system.

Edit: the only game i play on my wii right now is smash by the way >_> melee will live on ^_^

Press22

Smash Journeyman
I think if brawl is good, then most will revert to brawl but, a lot will stay on Melee and tournaments will continue with melee if people still can't get Wii's I have mine and only play melee on it (lost my GC somewhere).

Banks

Smash Hero
i wanna be the old guy who comes in with a backpack full of gamecube and **** and scares the kids

just like isai

im2emo4myshrt

Smash Apprentice
I think it is really going to come down to how many of the "advance techniques" can be used in brawl. For example, wavedashing isn't really part of melee, its in some ways a glitch, but it makes the game significantly better. If brawl is made to please the recreational crowd and doesn't provide the same type of "advance techniques" like melee does, then melee will probably stay around. SSB isn't really designed to be such a in depth fighting game, it just kind of worked out that way. Hopefully brawl will be almost identical to melee, just better graphics, more characters, and slightly better balancing.

MuseLives

Smash Journeyman
Enjoying some leisurely chaos...in New Jersey
I think it is really going to come down to how many of the "advance techniques" can be used in brawl. For example, wavedashing isn't really part of melee, its in some ways a glitch, but it makes the game significantly better. If brawl is made to please the recreational crowd and doesn't provide the same type of "advance techniques" like melee does, then melee will probably stay around. SSB isn't really designed to be such a in depth fighting game, it just kind of worked out that way. Hopefully brawl will be almost identical to melee, just better graphics, more characters, and slightly better balancing.
qft. I was meaning to say this earlier, but the words escaped me and I didn't bother waiting for it to come around. It all depends on the nature of brawl. A lack of depth would detract from the competitive nature of the game, thus creating the 'competitive flop' that I mentioned in my first post.

LHG

Smash Journeyman
I think it's going to die off to a game that only a little group, if anyone, stills wants to play. I thought SSB64 would still be around for me, but I haven't touched it in the longest time since Melee came out. I think Melee will do that when Brawl hits.

Shinki

Smash Cadet
I think the two games would just mix together since both can be played on the same system. Tournaments would host both games. That is of course, if the games are different in more ways than just graphics. I mean if the gameplay is exactly the same or near that, then alot of people would switch over to brawl since itd be easy to get used to since its so similiar AND better graphics plus new characters.

Kick

Smash Apprentice
yeah i think SSBM will be around more for brawl than SSB was for melee.

reasons
1. same controller
2. same console
3. brawl could potentially stink

Banks

Smash Hero
if ssb was playable on the gamecube and used the same controller, as many not-existing people would play it as ever.

L5LM_Gtlink

Smash Apprentice
I agree. the jump to brawl from melee won't be as large as the jump from SSB to melee. But honestly, I can't see Brawl sucking. They've been developing that game for a long time. It's Nintendo's system seller and their biggest baby last gen. Nintendo will use TLC when it comes to brawl, of this im almost certain.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
If Brawl sucks in too many places [such as 1p modes, fighting engine, character balance] then I'll go back to melee.

timbu

Smash Apprentice
the graphics will be better but not significantly better, i think. melee is already pretty good in the graphics department. i think it depends solely on the gameplay...as ssb had way too much brokenness melee is much more balanced...so nintendo take all the time you need to test and perfect brawl please!

Volrec

Smash Lord
don't go chasing waterfalls nintendo. don't go.
LOL TLC.

It all comes down to this:
Many Brawl purchasers will pop it into their Wii, and go into training mode. They pray and pray. And pray some more and then they will Jump, and airdodge diagonally into the ground. If they slide, brawl will be king. If not, many crying fans will switch back to melee.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I highly doubt that Brawl will fail. Sure, there might be a new aspect or two that we do not like at first, but once we come to grips with all the wonderful improvements, Melee will seem ridiculous. Even if wave-dashing is unavailable in Brawl, something else will catch our attention. You can certainly expect Melee enthusiasts to freak out and refuse to upgrade while the rest of us move on and play something new.

enjoi06

Smash Rookie
BRAWL all the way baby... i don't care how much it sucks!... actually i would care but the point is brawl wont suck :)

St. Viers

Smash Champion
I'll still play melee, but even if brawl is completely different game-play wise (no WDing, whatever) I'll play it when I can leach it off friends (much like I began with melee back in 01)

I mean, Melee is an awesome game, far beyond SSB64. Unless Brawl can be that much more awesome than melee, I think it will last longer than SSB64

L5LM_Gtlink

Smash Apprentice
If you can't wavedash then too **** bad. What kind of professional are you if you can't adapt to changes? Anyone who's gonna be crying about wavedashing being taken out of brawl doesn't deserve to hold the controller in their hands imo.

Raging_Missiles

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm... ive been giving it a thought and it may sound kinda absurd but if BRAWl is going to have online patches (to add characters , fix glitches ,balancing etc. ) i see no reason for them not being able to add the the characters, moves , techs of SSBM (or the could possibly save the entire game into a section of BRAWL, possibly even SSB to have the support of hardcore Fanboys)

the only thing is that this may require the use of some extra hardware to save it ( although most people here can agree with me that it would totally worth the extra amount of cash :) )

this would also require the creators of Brawl to work with the people on the boards in order to decide what needs to be Nurfed , buffed or deleted

And by working with closely with the consumers the company will gain many more sales because they will gain our loyalty

its a WIN WIN

So the answer to the question is that i can see the melle scene still being around jsut with more characters and moves :)

..... that Just my 2 Cents

FireBomb

Smash Lord
No matter how glorious Bralw becomes, there'll always be something in Melee that's going to call me back for it. Somethin' special. I go back to Smash 64 for some reason, and I'm not sure why. I'm sure I'll come back for more Melee many times during the next 5 years when another console comes out.

HarryPotter

Smash Cadet
here's a metaphor on what I think will happen.
picutre Brawl as Melee in 2007
now Picture Melee as 64 in 2007
Brawl will become the new Melee, Melee will becomde the new 64. as for 64, beats me.
-HP-

Marthmaster92

Smash Champion
Stuck between a parallel dimension of code and you
i'll guarantee you, melee will become obsolete. it'll be nothing but good memories. considering how good brawl's gonna be, i'll guarantee that people will be enjoying all the good times from melee, even play it once in a while, but if brawl is online, melee will be nothing more than a distant memory.

I

i8waffles612

Yea, people will still play Melee.... also depends on how good Brawl is...

And some people might not have a Wii, so they can still play Melee with friends and online

L5LM_Gtlink

Smash Apprentice
here's a metaphor on what I think will happen.
picutre Brawl as Melee in 2007
now Picture Melee as 64 in 2007
Brawl will become the new Melee, Melee will becomde the new 64. as for 64, beats me.
-HP-
SSB is the beginning of greatness. I still find fun in it even today. I wish the individual character entries made a return though

Giggidax

Smash Ace
im pretty sure we all will still play melee after brawl is out. some of us might get more attached to brawl more than melee, jus like melee and n64 SSB.

im more than positive that after playing brawl for a couple hours or weeks, u will want to go back and enjoy melee again. cuz after all it is an awesome game. but if i were to get brawl, i would love to be playing it against my friends jus to start up on my brawl experience. but melee has been out for 6 years and im still not sick of it.

Fade016

Smash Journeyman
for my self i will proably play brawl the way i play melee now if it has good competive play and never play melee at all but i will still want to play it once a while to give back good memories other wise melee will turn into the 64 and 64 will be reduced to almost nothing.

G U R U

Smash Lord
as long as brawl doesn't completly flop, then we'll probably all be playing it by next year. But they will definetly have to do something amazing to top Melee thats for sure.

Fiiii

Smash Apprentice
Melee's going to stay around, like SSB64, but since Brawl is giong to be played similarly to Melee, possibly even using the same controllers, the transition won't be too hard.

roy is my boi

Smash Journeyman
since brawl is going to be much diffrentfrom melee, there wont be a need to stop playing melee. there are going to be special moves and all that, so it wont be the same as melee:) ROY OWNS!!!

Top Bottom