• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mechakoopa "Bounce" Property

Does this new find contribute to the Koopalings' meta?

• Total voters

TheRetroBitGamer

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheRetroBitGamer
I found a really cool property of the Koopalings' mechakoopa. This phenomenon has been discovered before, but has yet to have had a definitive guide on how to do it.

So the way I found this property is by starting up a match and doing what I always do: double jumping and dropping a mechakoopa in midair, and if I can, pick it up. Well when I did that, I picked it up and threw it down and the mechakoopa bounced off the ground. I was able to dribble it 2-4 times consecutively before it exploded.

How to do it:

Understand that when you deploy a mechakoopa in midair, it enters 3 different animations before it starts walking: tumble, bounce, and startup lag. Knowing this might help some of you. Also, this cannot be done by short-hopping or deploying it from the ground.
Start by jumping or double jumping and while in midair, drop a mechakoopa. It'll enter a tumble animation until it hits the ground, bounces a few times, waits about 30 frames of starting lag, and starts walking. Grab the mechakoopa before it starts walking. As simple as that, you've activated the "bouncy" property. Timing isn't hard at all, but it depends on the trajectory and when you deploy the mechakoopa. Now you'll find that when you d-throw the mechakoopa, it bounces up above and you can jump up and grab it when it does this. You can continue to dribble it (grab and d-throw) until it explodes and no, it won't hurt you. Input throw as d-smash and it'll bounce higher (thank you @ Mr Moosebones Mr Moosebones )

The set up is admittedly lengthy and its use is situational, but it isn't entirely useless. It has its place in certain situations. I've found that bouncing the MK near a ledge when someone recovers from it really limits their options and could allow you to pressure them into a kill move of your choice. It's also kinda funny, cool, might throw some players off, and adds slight mix up to your MK game.

Please try this and tell me of any neat application for this property.

P.S. It'd be really cool if someone posted a video of this

Edit: This was briefly mentioned in another thread, but deserved a thread on it's own and how to definitively do it.

Last edited:

TheRetroBitGamer

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheRetroBitGamer
We really need a stickied thread containing all of Bowser Jr's AT's.

This was already known but it took some digging to find where I saw it mentioned before. http://smashboards.com/threads/mechajuggling.389629/#post-18524660

I'm not sure how useful this trick is but it's fun to play around with nonetheless.
It was barely mentioned but I've found this useful for when someone recovers from a ledge because they'll either get hit by the initial bounce, 2nd bounce, or it could pressure them into running towards me where you can set up whatever kill move like Up-B hammer combo or a smash attack.
The dude that mentioned it probably found the AT, but didn't know how to apply the technique. Also, such a neat little trick I feel should have its own thread.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
I don't think this is a new phenomenon, I've seen it before, but I've never seen it explained at all, so this is a neat little guide to how it works.

That being said, I don't feel it's much help to the Koops' game at all. It only bounces when grounded and thrown directly down, and much of what the floor bounce does can be done by an up throw. It removes the "instant explosion" aspect of down throwing the MK, and the set-up for the tech is also situational at best, since you have to full hop forward, deploy at max height, then quickly grab it, then quickly use it, too...

However, one interesting property of it, is that it provides better pressure to opponents above than a throw directly upwards (since it lingers at hop height for longer than an up thrown MK), and can be done while glide tossing. You can even glide toss, then B-throw them into it for 19-21% damage... That is, if you can somehow set that chance up.

The tech is interesting, and gives his grabbed MK some interesting options, I just think the set-up is a bit too lengthy. Then again, from my experience, set-ups into set-ups is Koops' bread and butter, so I'm kind of hoping to be proven wrong here.

TheRetroBitGamer

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheRetroBitGamer
I don't think this is a new phenomenon, I've seen it before, but I've never seen it explained at all, so this is a neat little guide to how it works.

That being said, I don't feel it's much help to the Koops' game at all. It only bounces when grounded and thrown directly down, and much of what the floor bounce does can be done by an up throw. It removes the "instant explosion" aspect of down throwing the MK, and the set-up for the tech is also situational at best, since you have to full hop forward, deploy at max height, then quickly grab it, then quickly use it, too...

However, one interesting property of it, is that it provides better pressure to opponents above than a throw directly upwards (since it lingers at hop height for longer than an up thrown MK), and can be done while glide tossing. You can even glide toss, then B-throw them into it for 19-21% damage... That is, if you can somehow set that chance up.

The tech is interesting, and gives his grabbed MK some interesting options, I just think the set-up is a bit too lengthy. Then again, from my experience, set-ups into set-ups is Koops' bread and butter, so I'm kind of hoping to be proven wrong here.
I'll have to make a video because the bounce makes a sort pressure wall for when someone recovers from a ledge. It has really good application, I just don't have a means of demonstrating it right now.
Oh and again, this thread was also intended to explain how to definitively give it the bounce property and I hope I did just that.

Last edited:

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
I'll have to make a video because the bounce makes a sort pressure wall for when someone recovers from a ledge. It has really good application, I just don't have a means of demonstrating it right now.
Oh and again, this thread was also intended to explain how to definitively give it the bounce property and I hope I did just that.
Well, the way to trigger the bounce is something I didn't even know until now, so kudos for that. But I feel there's still no practical application to use this tech. The setup takes too long, and having the MK in hand makes it incredibly difficult to get opponents to an offstage position fast enough for this to be useful. It's plausible as an occurrence, just there's a very low chance of actually being set up. Even then, a ledge regrab or roll in is all it takes to dodge it, and you don't have enough time to act out of setting it up to cover all your bases. You might as well D-air to offstage - it covers jumps, regular get-ups, attacks, and hops, all while setting up a potential gimp.

Again, I think it's real application comes from the fact you can glide bounce it, potentially pressure aerial opponents behind you, maybe set something up... Still doesn't change the lengthy set-up:pay-off ratio though. If this opportunity comes to you, I'd say take it. But it's not meta-changing to me. I think there are better applications of the MK than this one, almost regardless of situation.

TheRetroBitGamer

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheRetroBitGamer
Well, the way to trigger the bounce is something I didn't even know until now, so kudos for that. But I feel there's still no practical application to use this tech. The setup takes too long, and having the MK in hand makes it incredibly difficult to get opponents to an offstage position fast enough for this to be useful. It's plausible as an occurrence, just there's a very low chance of actually being set up. Even then, a ledge regrab or roll in is all it takes to dodge it, and you don't have enough time to act out of setting it up to cover all your bases. You might as well D-air to offstage - it covers jumps, regular get-ups, attacks, and hops, all while setting up a potential gimp.

Again, I think it's real application comes from the fact you can glide bounce it, potentially pressure aerial opponents behind you, maybe set something up... Still doesn't change the lengthy set-up:pay-off ratio though. If this opportunity comes to you, I'd say take it. But it's not meta-changing to me. I think there are better applications of the MK than this one, almost regardless of situation.
Thanks for your reply man! I appreciate that we're able to talk about its viability. At the very least we can agree it's an option to mess with people or keep things fresh. I'll keep looking into it and I'll let you know if I find any new applications that are worth noting other than ledge recovery pressure.

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
Yet another thread created because we don't have a stickied guide showing and discussing all moves and AT's for BowJr.

Anyway, I didn't know it could bounce multiple times, i'll have to test the usefulness of this, sounds cool.

TheRetroBitGamer

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheRetroBitGamer
Yet another thread created because we don't have a stickied guide showing and discussing all moves and AT's for BowJr.

Anyway, I didn't know it could bounce multiple times, i'll have to test the usefulness of this, sounds cool.
Sorry I'm still kinda new here. I didn't see anything on it so I felt it'd be right to post a standalone thread. I hope you found this somewhat informative. Thanks for commenting!

Kantrip

Kantplay
No worries, it's honestly really hard to find information in the board at the moment. I'm working on trying to compile all the AT's we know about so far and get them in one thread to mitigate the issue a bit.

Still, thanks for contributing!

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
Sorry I'm still kinda new here. I didn't see anything on it so I felt it'd be right to post a standalone thread. I hope you found this somewhat informative. Thanks for commenting!
Nah I'm not blaming you. You did what I would have probably done. I'm bugged by the bowJr's forum setup.

So through training, it does seem situational, you'll really have to know you need it if you go for the setup.
It can be a great edge guard though. Smash up throw, up throw, and smash down throw give three different apex heights for an opponent, and depending on time, they can protect you at four different times of the opp recovers right on you (if you predict it)
it may have potential, but I'll/ we'll need to practice with it in matches.

Last edited:

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
The man at least explained it, but yeah, he's aware it's a known thing now. This forum's organization is booty though. I don't blame him really.

Top Bottom