• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Me vs Mampam

clowsui

Smash Legend
glancing at this quickly i think you just need to find a way to improve your reaction time LOL there's tons of weird moments where you're shielding too early or not responding to his movement quick enough...

Player-3

Smash Hero
grab more

dont fullhop at diddy kong when you are juggling him, juggle him with either sh aerials or grabs because full hopping makes you commit too much and he can side b/b reverse away or fair you before you hit him because fair is dumb and will hit your hand

grab more be careful about using aerials aggresively because of fair

side b is gay i dont know why mampam used it like once all game

never use dancing blade green version because diddy can sdi in and uair you (p1 does it to me constantly at least, idk about other doody kongs)

grab more

dair is rly bad vs diddy kong since he can punish you (fh dair or force you to double jump out of it and then LAUGH AT YOU AS YOU TRY TO LAND WITHOUT A JUMP) i dont care what you or shaya say

nair is best move ever

also pivot grabbing him when he tries to landing fair you is good because marth dashes really low to the ground and can get under diddy if he times it wrong

C.J.

Smash Master
I use green DB when people don't know how to SDI well. SOMEHOW Mampam wins tournies/beats Ryo consistently/beats SFL people like Se1br1k all the time and he didn't know how to SDI until like last week ._.
But you're right that it still risks becoming a habit.

I can't believe I didn't notice I was FHing while juggling- you're completely right. Noted and will be fixed.

I admit and consent that dair as a landing tool is terrible, and I am laughing at myself rewatching this xD
FH dair OoS is still really good- it's just more character specific (i.e. it's amazing vs DDD and Ike since they're slow, but it's a lot worse vs characters like Marth and Diddy (in a lot of situations). I still think that FH dair vs most characters (sans MK) in situations like at 2:40 is a good option though. But I did dair too much in general going back and looking for those, so I do agree.

And yeaahhh, I never pivot grab enough. I think next week that's what I'm going to focus almost entirely on; forcing myself to pivot grab more.

Thoughts on how I was using bananas (other than the obvious messed up i-drops and GTs)? Other things I should use them for? I feel as though I use them decently as a zoning tool via z-drop to things like fair/uair to recatch them or controlling space with them (although it certainly still needs improvement). I know my reaction and defensive game (instant tossing more on reaction, for example) needs a lot of work as well. Suggestions on how to use them more aggressively though? Obviously Marth's banana game shines as a zoning tool and to control space instead of being aggressive, but I feel as though I miss opportunities to get good strings or follow-ups off because I don't know how to really use them that well as offensive tools (at least I don't know how to mid-match).

Player-3

Smash Hero
the only thing you could improve with your banana game is not missing when you try to grab them :p

and mid match for offensive tools when in doubt throw it up is the rule of thumb!

C.J.

Smash Master
Hahaha, yeah I'm always sad when I miss them =(

And I consider uthrowing bananas more of a space controlling thing than an aggressive action tbh.

You can't really think of good situations where just going HAM and GTing at them into something would be advantageous? I'm starting to think that if I have a banana in hand, and Diddy is landing, use GT under them, while throwing it up to try to bait the AD or instant toss and then punish from there.

Things like that.

Player-3

Smash Hero
gting into diddy is useless because of how long marths throw animation is they can shield easily

the only reason to GT is to cross the stage quickly lol and the throw doesnt even go as far as the gt so you end up going behind diddy or if you hit him it's just really dumb and situational and i prefer not to do that too annoying

C.J.

Smash Master
Yeeaahhh, that's pretty much what I always thought. I was hoping there'd be something you've seen that I missed.

C.J.

Smash Master
1) Always nice to have fresh eyes
2) Sparks conversation about a hard MU
3) P-3 plays the MU more than almost everyone else, so things involving item play, while I'm pretty confident in, I always look to improve the item aspect of my game
4) <3

Ayce God

RIP Nova 9
do you just not like to take risks? or your not confident when doing so?
like :37 and 4:40. I also thought you should have picked up on his 1:48. I think he did that two or three times

:phone:

Player-3

Smash Hero
oh yeah and when marths learn how to jab catch (or w/e it is where you press a and catch the banana in midair while standing still or walking) thrown bannanas is the day marth beats diddy kong that **** is BROKEN but its so hard

C.J.

Smash Master
:37 there really wasn't a good punish tbh. I could have thrown the banana at him, but then he'd just fall to the ledge anyway. So the end situation would be the exact same only I wouldn't have a banana to assist with potential ledge traps. DB wouldn't have fully connected and he could have DI'd up to easily avoid the 4th hit (maybe even the third) and then have been in a MUCH better position to recover afterwards (gaining control of his character again, having his full mobility back, and having access to sideB again). I can see MK or some other character having good options in that situation, but anything I tried there would have been super risky and could have potentially reversed the situation.

4:40 was, unfortunately, just an input error. It was supposed to be a ledge hop to Z-drop, not a ledge jump =(

1:48 was admittedly basically just panic mode. Most grabs don't kill you (and even Diddy's shouldn't have if I had DI'd it better /bad) so I figured I'd rather avoid him going for his banana to combo me, fair, dsmash, and ftilt. The only option that popped into mind at the moment was shield so I did. I probably could have like... retreating nair'd or something instead but oh well. When anyone is at high percents, they default to shield a LOT and it's always easy for anyone to get grabs on anyone at that point.

To answer your questions though- I'm never confident in my execution and as a result I play, to the best of my ability, risk-free.

@P-3- I KNOW! It's SO good for so many characters. Marth just doesn't catch things. I can do it fairly well as Diddy and Snake and Falco. Marth and MK are just like... nope. Not catching this stuff. It's SOOO good and strong though.

Ayce God

RIP Nova 9
:37 on reaction youre right but I thought u would have read that he'd recover that high and charge a tipper dsmash. but I gotcha. awesome spacing btw too.

:phone:

C.J.

Smash Master
[COLLAPSE="Orion talking about the match on FB"]a lot of pointless jumps and dbs
vertical spacing needs work

Charles Pratt
Vertical spacing in what way? Literally the spacing of my vertically hitting moves or controlling the vertical space of an area?

about an hour agoOrion Turre
both, but imo if you control the space perfectly it becomes much easier to hit

Orion Turre
when you're in the air, or juggling
and it's like a 45ish degree range
you are okay
the second they go like directly above or below you, you instantly pick awkward *** things
to do
like if your opponents in the air you should have THIRST
ill get a few time stamps

about an hour agoCharles Pratt
kk

4:15 was awkward, 4:20 was free %, 4:30 was hoping/lucky/inconsistent whatever if you had a read good for you but you missed doing that ish earlier so i doubt it

yeah, I see what you mean about losing the juggles for no reason

you dont stay under people
and just option select
and its soooo important, because its llike
as close to comboing/free damage as you can get for the most part
in brawl

So more things like what I did at 4:12 basically?
Looking at 4:15, I honestly couldn't even begin to explain why I GT'd away like that
Completely at a loss

4:12 was okay
but imo
you can still do better
full hop uair
so committed

you couldve sh'ed
and even if it missed you are on the ground
so that the position isnt reversed and then you arent the one getting juggled
most of the time you even have frame advantage
so you can grab/db

I recognize that it should USUALLY have been a SH, but Yele is very aggressive in his instant throws. I was expecting him to IT it down at me. I FH'd so that I could catch the banana again and punish the throw lag
I do recognize that MOST of the time, SH would be better though

fair enough
also
after fthrow when you missed the pivot grab
you should walk
just in general
walk then dash
after throws
so much better
you close the distance, and control space better

Hmmm, alrighty. I'll admit that that is something I've picked up on from Ramin and Leon (and to a lesser extent Nike) when they seem super confident an AD is coming.

yeah but if you walk and you see the airdodge, you can do the same ****ing thing
rofl

I never considered they also read the way that the other person would DI as well- Mampam DI'd straight up so I missed to regrab.
Oh I understand that. It's just a habit I need to break now is all

you can walk and it's 10 times gayer
>_>

This is true lol

like if i airdodge away
and ramin reads it
he dash tippers me
but that only works
at the specific dash spacing
if you just walk and do it
regardless
and if i decided to di up
then he's still under me[/COLLAPSE]

C.J.

Smash Master
They know! Plus that only points out more things of mine to work on. It shows my inconsistency in doing things like Z-catching where as if I was consistent at them I would be able to do do it well enough even half asleep.

Things like that

Top Bottom