• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Me playing

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Didn't watch the whole thing, but heres what I picked up after a few minutes:

-There should be a lot less front facing nair. 90% of your nairs should be coming from your back. And you're fast falling them way too often as well. The beauty of Charizards nair is the range of coverage and the duration of its hitbox. By cutting your nair short via a fastfall, you remove the threat of its furthest reaching hitbox. So to improve your nair game, you should be doing these things:
  • Closing space between you and your opponent with RAR nairs
  • Creating space between you and your opponent with RAR nairs
  • Not fast falling these nairs unless you know its being used as a punish (aka you know its going to hit) and you want to combo off of it
  • Come out of your dash dances with backwards nairs. Which leads me to my next point:
-Slow down your dash dance. Mashing back and forth the way you are isn't doing anything. A good dash dance covers a lot of space, and is both threatening and non-committal. Watch some high level matches and observe how their dash dances have big, long strides which allow them to weave in out and of a large area quickly. This way, you can react to whatever your opponent does. For example, if they throw out an attack as you dash away, you can come back in with a grab. And if they chase you, you can retreat with a nair and whip them with that last, far reaching hitbox.

-In general you're far too overzealous, its like you're always going for the hard read and the big play. Thats ok sometimes, but its like you're going balls deep five thousand percent of the time. From neutral, you should be poking, not coming in with fast fall fairs or side Bs. Fairs are good for comboing and killing, NOT as an approach. They have very little range and are highly punishable. Side B should be used very sparingly.

-Here's an easy one to incorporate. Try edgeguarding with fire-breath a bit more. And here's a cool tip for that: If you just stand at the edge and shoot firebreath, Charizard takes a step back so you can't shoot the fire down that far (it hits the surface of the stage and comes out flat), so instead, short hop to the edge of the stage and shoot the firebreath straight down, works like a charm!

Keep up the good work and practice hard for SKATAR!

narizard

Smash Rookie
Didn't watch the whole thing, but heres what I picked up after a few minutes:

-There should be a lot less front facing nair. 90% of your nairs should be coming from your back. And you're fast falling them way too often as well. The beauty of Charizards nair is the range of coverage and the duration of its hitbox. By cutting your nair short via a fastfall, you remove the threat of its furthest reaching hitbox. So to improve your nair game, you should be doing these things:
  • Closing space between you and your opponent with RAR nairs
  • Creating space between you and your opponent with RAR nairs
  • Not fast falling these nairs unless you know its being used as a punish (aka you know its going to hit) and you want to combo off of it
  • Come out of your dash dances with backwards nairs. Which leads me to my next point:
-Slow down your dash dance. Mashing back and forth the way you are isn't doing anything. A good dash dance covers a lot of space, and is both threatening and non-committal. Watch some high level matches and observe how their dash dances have big, long strides which allow them to weave in out and of a large area quickly. This way, you can react to whatever your opponent does. For example, if they throw out an attack as you dash away, you can come back in with a grab. And if they chase you, you can retreat with a nair and whip them with that last, far reaching hitbox.

-In general you're far too overzealous, its like you're always going for the hard read and the big play. Thats ok sometimes, but its like you're going balls deep five thousand percent of the time. From neutral, you should be poking, not coming in with fast fall fairs or side Bs. Fairs are good for comboing and killing, NOT as an approach. They have very little range and are highly punishable. Side B should be used very sparingly.

-Here's an easy one to incorporate. Try edgeguarding with fire-breath a bit more. And here's a cool tip for that: If you just stand at the edge and shoot firebreath, Charizard takes a step back so you can't shoot the fire down that far (it hits the surface of the stage and comes out flat), so instead, short hop to the edge of the stage and shoot the firebreath straight down, works like a charm!

Keep up the good work and practice hard for SKATAR!
Thanks I will definitely reread and take all of that into account!

Top Bottom