• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MD/VA/NC--SMASHING ALS: Melee and Project M Regional (Details Pending)

Papapaint

Just your average kind of Luigi.
Time and specific location are pending. Details will be finalized next week, see below.

To continue keeping up the smash scene in VA and to bring together the various groups from all over our region, I'm going to set up one big mother of a tournament. ALL RESULTS WILL CONTRIBUTE TO THE ELO SYSTEM STARTED AT HYPERPHOENIX

Right now, location details are pending. I should have them finalized by the end of next week. I'd like to have this game serve as a charity fundraiser for ALS, which would allow us to get a massive room at the college without having to pay a "venue fee". In addition, I will be looking for local businesses to help provide things like snacks, soda, etc. to help with the event. If this all goes according to plan, we will put 50% of the venue fees towards the charity, and I'll set up other ways to donate as well. I'm thinking we'll also have some raffles for things like gamecube controllers... still working on some of those details.

As of now, the tournament only consists of Melee and Project M. If anyone wants to run Brawl at this same tournament, send me a PM and we will work out a way to include the game. This would be a huge help!

One of the problems plaguing VA's smash scene is the 3-hour drive between SOVA and NOVA--longer if the tunnels and 95 are backed up! This is why Williamsburg is a perfect tournament location. Right in the middle of both regions, it's also close enough for a day trip from Maryland or NC.

The tournament will be held at the College of William and Mary, which is an utterly beautiful location.

Details concerning specific location are currently pending. I have some meetings next week to finalize all that stuff. I'm expecting a 300ish capacity room, with tables and chairs available for us. We should also have a projector for the "main stage," which will be streamed live and recorded. Anyone else who wants to join in on streaming/recording is more than welcome to set up on any other TV in the room, just get in touch with me beforehand.

In addition to a dining hall and convenience store in the same building that the tournament will (likely) be taking place, there are multiple restaurants and a Wawa within walking distance, and plenty of fast food places within a 5 minute drive of the location.

I can not post tournament times without knowing the specific location. I will update this area more next week.

Registration Fee: $5
Project M Singles: $5
Melee Singles: $5
Teams: $10 per team.

Ruleset/bracket info will be posted soon. It will more than likely be very similar to Apex 2013.

Prizes will be based on Registration Fees and entries.

I can easily house a few people, and I have no doubt that NC people can crash overnight/carpool with some of the SOVA people, and likewise for MD people. I'll see about other people in Williamsburg or nearby who can help out with housing.

If you can help with housing OR CARPOOLING, please PM me and I will add you to the OP. I can also happily list the spaces you have in your car and who is filling them.

For traveling by train, the Amtrak station pulls in right around the corner from my house, and a 5 minute walk from the college.

This can be an absolutely incredible event, so let's do what we can to hype it up!

Papapaint

Just your average kind of Luigi.
Some other details: Since I'll probably be working with some on-campus group to set it up, they'll be doing a ton of on-campus promotion and whatnot. I expect that there will be plenty of entrants from the college alone.

Ether

Smash Ace
I've conveyed this to SoVa. This is looking promising. Good location, good prices.

Edit - Once there's more of an idea of the time and location, I will post this in the MD/VA and East Coast Melee Facebook groups.

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
almightypancake said:
ALL RESULTS WILL CONTRIBUTE TO THE ELO SYSTEM STARTED AT HYPERPHOENIX
yoyoyoyoyo, you need to talk to me about this stuff beforehand, send me a PM

and lol @ using my images, but i suppose that's fine <3

Regardless, I should be here, maybe I can get some of my W&M friends to attend...get some Team Boosted up in hurr

Arcadia157

Smash Journeyman
Sounds interesting. I have a friend whose brother was trying to start up a little smash community at W&M so maybe they'll enter too.

JJTheJetPlane

Smash Cadet
I will ask the Richmond smash scene if they want to go to this. It's only an hour away so I predict a yes.

FrackinKraken

Smash Cadet
I got friends I wanna visit at W&M anyway. If weekends work out I'd be more than down to make this happen. On post listing you only have P:M. I'm assuming that this was just a flub and you're gonna have melee too?

Top Bottom