• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

McFox's Game-Inspired Stages

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
As a foreward, I want to warn you that most of these are NOT designed with tournament-play in mind, and in fact, the basic design of these stages was more-or-less mandated by what I was basing them on. I just read hpkomic's Why are so many created stages so crowded? post and, despite what you're about to see below, I'm inclined to agree. HOWEVER, I also do think that there's room to just play a level in this game that is pure nostalgia, without much regards to the rules of the game. Eventually, if you play on these stages, people WILL be KOd. It may take awhile, but hey, I still think it'll be tremendous fun, no matter how long it takes to KO someone. If you find an infinite glitch in these stages and say it should be banned, then hey, don't play it. I'm just offering these to you all, for those that can afford to have a little fun too.

Ok, here are some of the game-themed stages I've come up with. I've inlcuded the in-game inspirations for these. I'll put the name of the stage in Bold italics, background I'm planning to use in Bold (Sky, Underground, or Techno), and the music I'll put in italics and link it too, so you can listen. Keep in mind that I'll only be using music that's immediately available in the game. Thank God Sakurai gave a list. I'm not sure how much leeway you're given with names, so I'll forgo spaces and just use capitol letters for extra words. If anyone wants any of these levels once the game comes out, I can upload them for you.

I'm posting the Map Legend with every picture, but it's important to keep in mind how they work. For drop-through platforms, for instance, they appear along the top of the block they're posted in, not in the middle. So that means that this:

will actually have a platform layout that looks like this:

I know it's kind of confusing, but this legend has really helped me to work out where everything needs to be placed. Once you get used to it, you'll be able to just look at the pictures and see where actual platforms will be placed.

Mario
Sky
Super Mario Bros. Ground Theme
Basic Mario. All of him wouldn't fit, but I really like the idea of playing on this stage. I'm not sure how many resources the game gives you to work with (I know there's a limit like Halo's Forge), so if I have to, I'll cut out the moving platforms. Those are just to give you some vertical mobility if you're playing a character that doesn't have much.

MarioDead
Sky
Waluigi Pinball
I'm really happy with how this one came out. I think it'll look pretty good in-game. I think the song will fit it well too, it's fast enough to work as the "Mario dead" stage theme.

Lemmings
Underground
Forest of Hope
I've always thought of the Pikmin as somewhat derivative of Lemmings. Yes, I know that there are a zillion differences between the two games, I've played both extensively. I'm just saying that the idea of directing your little Pikmin/Lemmings to complete tasks feels like a similar gameplay concept to me. I really like this stage 1) because Lemmings are small enough to where I could perfectly recreate them pixel-for-pixel, and 2) that they're walking directly towards spikes. Hopefully that front one will build a ramp!

DonkeyKong
Sky
Wii Sports Opening
I couldn't find any music suitably appropriate for this level, but I'm really like the Wii Sports song. It's pretty upbeat and catchy, and it slows down for a bit before picking back up. Any other suggestions for music here? Keep in mind it'd have to be from Sakurai's list of immediately-available music. Anyway, obviously, this couldn't be re-created perfectly, but I think I did a passable job. By removing two of the horizontal platforms, I was still able to make it look close enough to where it will be obvious what the level is designed after.

Bowser
Underground
Super Mario Bros. Underground Theme
Another one where I did the best that I could given the available materials. I think it's a fairly accurate depiction, and I think it'll be pretty fun to play.

Troopa
Underground
Luigi Circuit
I've always had a soft spot for Koopa Troopa, so I 100% had to make this stage. I think it came out pretty well, that is making sure I've taken into account the way that tilted drop-through platforms work and how they are placed. But I think I've got accurate info from watching stage builder Youtube videos. I know all of these levels will actually be humongous to play on, but I'm not really going for tournament-neutrality, at least not with these levels.

Potion
Underground
Pictochat
I think the Pictochat music really works here. This is a variation of my original Dr. Mario pill bottle idea that I've been touting for ages (not likely that it's an original idea or anything). This is the large version of the stage, and since I had so much room, I decided to model it after someting, and came up with the potions from Mario 2. That ice platform around the top is to prevent people from getting on the sides of the bottle. If I understand the automatic spawning correctly, people should spawn on top of the ice, as it's at the top. However, I left those stairways open so people could still get inside, should they spawn on the sides.

By the way, here's my small version of the level:

~~~~~~~~~~

So yeah, that's what I have so far. Suggestions greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom