• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Maybe 200th time someone has asked this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LobsterKane

Smash Rookie
What makes melee players hate on brawl so bad? I don't see a problem with either games, both seem peachy.

nessokman

Smash Lord
What makes melee players hate on brawl so bad? I don't see a problem with either games, both seem peachy.
Simple.

1. melee was more competitive. This wasn't intended by sakurai, but the community..ugh.

2. Melee fans hate tripping because it makes brawl more casual and ruins competitive play

3.Brawl is a party game apparently.

4. Brawl didn't have stupid glitches like wavedashing, which caused melee fans to flip %H1T.

5. some characters in melee weren't brought back in brawl that a lot of people liked.

6. Brawl supposedly isn't as balanced character wise as melee.

7.brawl is more "floaty" than melee. Characters fall slower and jump higher....

Those are a few common ones

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
4. Brawl didn't have stupid glitches like wavedashing, which caused melee fans to flip %H1T.
People still saying wavedashing is a glitch in 20mother****ing13 makes me flip ****, it's not about specific techniques, it's about diversity and freedom in movement options.

Used to rip on Brawl a lot but Apex 2013 showed me a lot of legit stuff, IDK if Grand Finals was special or if the Brawl metagame has evolved into a faster and more offensive game (I haven't watched Brawl in a while) but I'll be looking forward to watching more of that ZSS player.

LobsterKane

Smash Rookie
People still saying wavedashing is a glitch in 20mother****ing13 makes me flip ****, it's not about specific techniques, it's about diversity and freedom in movement options.

Used to rip on Brawl a lot but Apex 2013 showed me a lot of legit stuff, IDK if Grand Finals was special or if the Brawl metagame has evolved into a faster and more offensive game (I haven't watched Brawl in a while) but I'll be looking forward to watching more of that ZSS player.
I think they were using Project M to speed up the gameplay, makes everything seem faster.

MR. K

Smash Journeyman
it annoys the hell out of me when folks still think wavedashing and L-cancelling were glitches, and i'm mostly part of brawls scene.

THAT right there is one of the reasons the whole melee community hates brawl, because all of the casuals, and still some of the competitive players in it even, are still uninformed as hell about the game.

Biz_R_0

Smash Ace
Funny you say that, seeing as how every common argument against Brawl aside from tripping and MK is based off of the completely outdated 2009 metagame.

Kellz

Smash Cadet
NNID
MissKellyAesop
3DS FC
2466-4507-1948
Project M is the way of the future.

This thread is awesome.

To answer more adequately, Melee was a style of Smash a lot of people preferred way more, and what those players saw in Brawl was disappointing. They were expecting different, but not that different. Project M appeals to the competitive player a lot because it's more like the idealistic version of Brawl for competitive players.

blueyoshi

Smash Rookie
Its probably because people played melee first and they loved the gameplay in that game, and then brawl completely changed it and took out things a lot of people liked, like wavedashing and L-cancelling(and Roy ;_;) and put in things like tripping.
I don't see a problem with either games, both seem peachy.
They're both great games, but brawl is so different from melee that people tend to hate on it.

Life

Smash Hero
^Pfft, you should have been here at any point more than, oh, a month ago. Let's just say that this thread (and you're correct in saying it gets brought up a lot) gets closed all the time for a reason.

Ever since this EVO thing we've been a lot nicer to each other on the whole, so that's good.

The short version is that Brawl is slower and has tripping and Meta Knight. This was disappointing to Melee players who were used to a fast game with reasonable (if imperfect) balance and no pointless random interruptions via tripping.

Brawl has better stages though.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread. Basically even though it has been pretty stable thus far, throwing out the question "why do melee players hate brawl?" will always attract that one guy who will turn the discussion into simply nothing but Melee v Brawl with flames and such being thrown around. Best to catch it early before that happens. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom