• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Thread

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
Is this a good place for me to ask for tips for the Samus and Kirby matchups?
Indeed it is!

Kirby is incredibly slow in the air, so use your disjoints to outrange his air game and edgeguard him. Kirby also struggles to deal with PK thunder due to his small hitboxes. If he sticks to his ground game, then use your offense to pressure his shield and go for grabs to get him off stage and airborne. Don't even bother with PK fire here. Kirby too floaty and small, so he escapes easily.

Samus is a tricky matchup, for sure. She has better range on several of her moves, great edgeguarding/ledgetrapping, and runs faster than Ness to boot. The trick with Samus is to get in past her range. Samus will struggle immensely to escape your PKT juggles because of how slow and floaty she is. Worth noting is that all her projectiles lose or tie with your own. In particular, PK fire beat out charge shot. DJC PSI magnet movement is especially important here because it gives you an approach that invalidates charge shot and easily maneuvers around missiles.

Ethan Weegee

Smash Cadet
Adding on to that, Kirby's recovery is mostly in his jumps, so if you can keep him off-stage, he can't easily recover. Neutral-special (without a copy ability) is also punishable if they miss, especially if you're behind Kirby. Down-special is also punishable if Kirby misses, with just about any move that you can time correctly. Up-air works well if Kirby is on a platform above Ness exiting down-special.

Mr Saturn Fanboy

Smash Apprentice
Is this a good place for me to ask for tips for the Samus and Kirby matchups?
Sorry for the late reply, byt here I go

The best way to deal with a Samus for me, (especially a projectile spamming one) is to get as close as possible, without beingclose enough to get grabbed. If you get in on a Samus, they won't have a chance to get in their wall of projectiles. That being said, you should distance yourself juuuust enough so you dont get hit with a dash attack or a f-air. Those have great kill power and you don't want to be taking the blint of those. If you try to go for the absorb game, it usually wont work in your favor, as she has four projectiles, and only two can be absorbed (Those would be her charge shot and the bombs she spawns mid-air.Another good tip is to try and magnet while you're recovering. Samus' love to get early kills from recovering opponents via the charge shot. If you move in her line of fire, try to magnet even if she doesn't fire. It will condition your opponent to not shoot at you while you're recovering. Samus' are also known for their edgeguarding, so miing up your recovery, or recovering high will do you wonders. She is also relatively floaty, so its pretty easy to keep her in the air with aerials and thunder. Be prepared for her bombs, however.

Kirby on the other hand, almost the opposite is true. You'll want to distance yourself a fair ways from Kirby, and going more for punishes and neutral play. Kirby is a pretty easy character to pick up, and as such, a lot of them will know what theyre doing. My best advice is to keep your distance, but not as far as to be running away. Try to stay away from his aerials, as f-airs can take a stock really easially by pushing you from the stage, and d-air is a good meteor. (is meteor the right term? I dunno. The spike thats not as strong as a spike, haha) Also, try to stay away from the ledge when playing a Kirby, as they can suck you up and spit you out under the stage, similarly to how Dedede and K. Rool can. Kirby can also hit rather hard, and kill relatively early. His f-smash packs a whollop and its easy to get trapped in his aerials. As long as you don't let Kirby really get in on you, you'll do fine. Also, try to stay away from PK Fire and instead opt for Thunder harassment. Kirby is floaty enough to be nearly unaffected by PK Fire, but it's this floatiness that makes him weak to PK Thunder. Just, make sure he doesn't eat the thunder. Kirby is also pretty susceptable to PK Rocket and aerials, as he doesnt out-disjoint you and his recovery is very slow, so do bear that in mind.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

J.I.L

Banned via Administration
Indeed it is!

Kirby is incredibly slow in the air, so use your disjoints to outrange his air game and edgeguard him. Kirby also struggles to deal with PK thunder due to his small hitboxes. If he sticks to his ground game, then use your offense to pressure his shield and go for grabs to get him off stage and airborne. Don't even bother with PK fire here. Kirby too floaty and small, so he escapes easily.

Samus is a tricky matchup, for sure. She has better range on several of her moves, great edgeguarding/ledgetrapping, and runs faster than Ness to boot. The trick with Samus is to get in past her range. Samus will struggle immensely to escape your PKT juggles because of how slow and floaty she is. Worth noting is that all her projectiles lose or tie with your own. In particular, PK fire beat out charge shot. DJC PSI magnet movement is especially important here because it gives you an approach that invalidates charge shot and easily maneuvers around missiles.
Kirby is easy to deal with, and I do agree samus can be tricky to deal with in general....but on BF she is so much harder. She just runs under platforms and shoot porjectile, and my movement on BattleField is limited as ness. Any ideas how to deal with samus on BattleField?

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
Kinda interested in how the Ness mains here think the MU against Zelda looks like.
There is probably the most data out of all Ultimate MUs thanks to Fow and Ven, however I'm not that sure if that MU is in Ness's favor. Looks kinda even but it'd be interesting to what the Ness players are thinking.

J.I.L

Banned via Administration
Kinda interested in how the Ness mains here think the MU against Zelda looks like.
There is probably the most data out of all Ultimate MUs thanks to Fow and Ven, however I'm not that sure if that MU is in Ness's favor. Looks kinda even but it'd be interesting to what the Ness players are thinking.
What does MU mean?

Mr Saturn Fanboy

Smash Apprentice

I mean, Its not awful, but I don't love seeing a Zelda in online matchup.
Most i've seen are very very spammy, which doesnt make for a fun time. That being said, its easy to adapt to the pattern, so this is more of a personal gripe with online play haha

Ness also doesnt do very well against disjoints, and Zelda's attacks have a decent chunk of range, not to mention her reflect is top-notch. But her attacks are slow, and she herself isnt very fast either.

tbh I think its a relatively even matchup, maybe 52/48 Zelda v Ness. Her predictability and endlag is what really does Zelda in, in terms of this matchup, however.

Top Bottom