• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Thread Export: Olimar

Gifts

¡Me gusta tejer!
I used to main Oli, although I wasn't "that" good. Maybe I could give some feed back. >.>

Stages Oli "should" take you to... FD, Green Greens, Halbert, or Delfino.

Stages you "should" CP Oli to... Frigate, Brinstar, or RC.

In my opinion I would CP Oli to Brinstar. Although Frigate's right side of the first transformation can lead to uber gimping, Brinstar is just a horrible map for Oli. It's hard for him to F-smash you in part of the stage. You can easily tech chase him on any of the platforms after a d-throw. The ability to shark him, ugh I just hate getting CP'ed to brinstar when going against a GnW. Rainbow cruis is also a good option but I usually ban it.

Some things to note. If you get d-throwed at a low percentage expect to get f-smashed and re grabbed (unless the d-throw was by a purple.) Now after you have been re-grabbed, expect to be d-drowed again into a Fair by Oli. You can air dodge this though.

Expect to be camped hard core in this MU. Expect to be thrown off the stage and pikimin coming at you right away. This is how Oli does most of his damage, it really does add up.

(sorry if I'm just rambling I am thinking of things as I go.)

Umm yeah i won't lie this is a really tough matchup for GnW. I believe it's a 60-40 in Oli's favor.

Hmmm... what else... Umm when your at about 70 ish percent and see a purple next in the line of pikmin coming at you, watch out for the up smash. >.>

I'm hella tired right now, I'll try to think of more things and post them later. Sorry if I couldn't give too much good info. =/

Lightning Tiger

Smash Apprentice
very easy to counter.. down air goes right through everything on olimar, just watch out for grabs.
Pivot Grab>Everything Gaw has.
Dair is so telegraphed except for slowfall+shdair mix ups that you will most likely just get:
1) Shield Grabbed
2) Pivot Grabbed
3) Jump Back/Move Back+Fair'd

This match is not easy to counter.
Olimar is definitely underrated
Look at Apex, Brood just tore it up cept for DEHF
Olimar has excellent pressure with the pikmin but its neutralized by the nair/up b.

Splice

Smash Hero
Dair is actually still good in this MU if you space it so it ends before it is grabbable, connecting with the tip of the shield. use slowfall to do this and also try to make him shield longer than he has to.

And keep note of which colour pikmin he has next in his party, yellows make attacks from above pointless as Usmash will rip you up unless you bait it appropriately.

I believe this MU is not quite in GaWs favour but not terrible for him, personally but I can totally see why some would think otherwise. Olimar is hard to approach, and can tear GaW apart without getting near him. However if the GaW makes his move fast or manages to take little damage before he gets an opening, then GaW benefits muchly. Even when Olimar returns to the ground, if GaW has stage control and the pressure, the Olimar will often have difficulty turning this back around, if you play right and keep it clutch.

I think GaW has an easier time racking up damage as he has better strings than Olimar and has good answers to Pikmin projectiles, however until such a time as GaW can take control, Olimar has more free reign on the match, and can get stage control easier than GaW, everytime you let Olimar have some freedom he immediately goes back into the advantageous position, and he can afford to be distanced from you, yet still he can do well at close range, although I think GaW is more dangerous up close.

Olimars fantastic Upwards kills and decent Fsmash too make it easier to kill GaW than vice versa, although GaW can gimp Olimar and really should have the oppurtunity at least once a match to do so (btw I KNOW Olimars tricks for recovering that make his recovery seem better than at first thought. Still, it's not the best and he can be gimped by GaW with a decent success rate)

Nair and UpB are amazing in this MU, they keep the pikmin away and scare Olimar.
If you get a good tech chase on Olimar and Dtilt him off stage out of Dthrow, and then get another good predicition to hit him off the stage, you can make an oppurtunity to gimp him.

It isn't too bad really.

I think 55:45 in Olimars favour, simply because his kill moves are so much faster than ours and almost as effective.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
THis match up is probably even. Although G&W can gimp Olimar, Olimar can 0-death G&W pretty easily after getting you into the air.

Also, If you Nair Olimar's shield he can u-smash out of shield.

IF you b-air Olimar's shiled he can U-smash OOS if he times it correctly

I play Logic once or twice a week

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Knowing how to SDI his N-air is important. Not hard, but important. Most Olimars will try N-air -> U-smash at some point in the match.

D-tilt is REALLY AWESOME for edgeguarding him if he tries to say plank, or if he thinks landing on stage is a good idea, in which scenario the D-tilt will put him in a ridiculously bad position that essentially guarantees a gimp.

And if they don't tech the D-throw, most of them usually DI towards center stage, which you should F-smash. It's one of the most hilarious ways to kill him.

Splice

Smash Hero
@God-is-my-Rock: If you space the bair real gewd (last couple of times it hits and then you move away just a bit at the very end) and then UpB ASAP, I'm pretty sure the Upsmash OoS won't work anymore.

I don't play someone as good as Logic but I've played the Olimar match up a lot, and hyphen or normal Usmash after my Bairs often got me, but not anymore if i space it right and UpB at the end.

Also even though it's not the best position to UpB and then end up in the air against Olimar, it's still quite manageable since you have control of yourself at least. depends on size of stage.

Also Olimar has MUCH harder time getting up from ledge than GaW imo. GaW wrecks a lot of his get up attempts with airials and Dtilt whereas Olimar cant do quite the same. So it's not too bad.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
No you don't understand. HE up smashes out of shield in the middle of the B-air.

If I space it perfectly I don't think he can do it. But it's not easy to do that especially when you have an Olimar dashing towards you and shielding.

Splice

Smash Hero
Yeah, it's never easy :p

Helps to have control of the match/stage though.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Also Olimar has MUCH harder time getting up from ledge than GaW imo. GaW wrecks a lot of his get up attempts with airials and Dtilt whereas Olimar cant do quite the same. So it's not too bad.
I hear that there grab spam makes life hard for a G&W living on the edge, I tell you what.

I think I'm going to be sick after seeing that cat box **** cake. T_T

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
Don't approach Oli with bair. There's a gap between the fourth and fifth hitboxes where he can either shield-grab if you're low to the ground or upsmash OoS if you're too close. Even if you space it perfectly you can't really follow it up very well. Also, don't let him platform camp, it easily makes it twice as hard to get in. Just my experience anyway.
This thread needs UTD, he plays Denti quite a bit I think.

PantyRaider08

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I lost to Denti twice today.. to knock me out of tourney, I hate this matchup. I hope Zac gets some vids recorded of him and Denti. : /

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The more I play Olimars in general, the more fun I find the matchup....just saying.

His camp game can be annoying, but it's far from being completely unstoppable. And he is one of the most vulnerable characters in the game when you successfully pressure him.

The nature of the matchup just makes it very fast paced, where a good read usually nets the momentum necessary for a KO.

Splice

Smash Hero
The more I play Olimars in general, the more fun I find the matchup....just saying.

His camp game can be annoying, but it's far from being completely unstoppable. And he is one of the most vulnerable characters in the game when you successfully pressure him.

The nature of the matchup just makes it very fast paced, where a good read usually nets the momentum necessary for a KO.
Yeah and if you get the momentum going the MU can start getting quite easy!
I find it's pretty easy to land kills on Olimar compared to a lot of other characters.

Top Bottom