• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Match-Up] King Dedede

X3I

Smash Apprentice
Hi G-guys,

I have troubles beating King Dedede in For Glory, even bad ones... I have around 90% of win rate in this mode, but around 0% on this match-up...

This character just never die. He is too heavy to be killed by a Smash, but he is also hard to edgeguard because of his multiple jumps and his Up B (that has hyper armor)... While as Game & Watch is light, one mistake and he can land a fatal blow !

I don't have any friends who main him, so I can't really train and discover the options I have against him... Though, I saw some good things :

- Chief is excellent against his Side B ;
- Up Smash can, with the right timing, break his Up B and all his aerials ;
- As DDD is heavy, we can juggle him easily at low percent, especially after a D Throw.

Do you have any other informations that could help me to beat him ?

Last edited:

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Dedede has a rather poor horizontal recovery without his jumps, so I'd think gimping him wouldn't be that difficult.

His up B also only has super armor during the initial ascent, so it's totally possible to smack him while he's crouching down in preparation for it or a moment after the jump has begun. He's particularly vulnerable to getting stage spiked by characters with lingering hitboxes like G&W while trying recover low.

EarthBoundEnigma

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EarthBoundEnigma
D3 is grab-combo city for G&W.

Let him attack, shield it, grab him, down throw and combo based on how high he bounces.

If he bounces low at low percents, just uptilt and hit with the flag.
If he bounces above you around 25%, jump and nair and get a full fishbowl combo, sometimes even a second set of hits with a second jump and nair.
If he bounces very high, up B can send him even higher.​

At high percents you really just have to land a dash attack or fair and you're done.

For lulz, you can actually cause a self-destruct if he tries an up B with any sideways momentum by using uair and carrying him off the stage.

X3I

Smash Apprentice
Rakurai > It's actually more difficult than you think to gimp him... If he jumps correctly.

EarthBoundEnigma > You teach me nothing, what you said works for every characters...
And unfortunately, it's not that easy.

EarthBoundEnigma

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EarthBoundEnigma
Rakurai > It's actually more difficult than you think to gimp him... If he jumps correctly.

EarthBoundEnigma > You teach me nothing, what you said works for every characters...
And unfortunately, it's not that easy.
No need to take it from me. See here.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I remember having difficulties against Dedede in For Glory a little back, but lately it hasn't been too much trouble. Then again, I've also been using Villager who does better, so...

Dedede's hard because he outranges us and is extremely heavy. The fact that Chef reflects Gordos is great, though. we do have a pretty solid advantage up-close, so work carefully to get there and stay there. Never DAir unless you are absolutely sure it'all land because his UAir > our DAir. If you're feeling gutsy and he's trying to land on the stage with his Up-B, you can time an USmash to hit him out of it. UAir juggling is probably better though.

It's far from unwinnable but we have to be careful to not dies super quickly.

X3I

Smash Apprentice
No need to take it from me. See here.
What is the thing you don't understand in : "You teach me nothing" ?

Kofu > "his UAir > our DAir."
I noticed it's not all the time true, but I don't know why sometime I go through and sometime I don't.
Guess it depends where it hits...

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Have you tried bucketing his stars after the upB-landing? it's not much but can lead to a surprise bucket into his face :)

X3I

Smash Apprentice
The power of this bucketed is weak, isn't it ?

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
it's still a bucket und can easily be combo'd into with a d-throw. technically it is free damage just because D3 recovers ^^

X3I

Smash Apprentice
Well, you can smash him if he does an Up B. I guess it's a better punishment.

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
I find if they upb immediately it causes problems, so I just stop trying to gimp and punish he landing instead.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
The power of this bucketed is weak, isn't it ?
Actually, it produces a near insta-KO bucket.

The stars do more damage then Mario's fireballs, which are already sufficient for producing a bucket strong enough to KO him at 20% or so.

tol

Smash Rookie
Spam chef when you have dedede stuck trying to get up from the ledge. It won't always work, but sometimes you can do up to 50
damage. I haven't tried it on many dededes to really know how good this strategy is. Uair is also good against dedede since dedede has a slow dair, and his nair (which also covers beneath him) doesn't have much range.

tol

Smash Rookie
I faced a really good dedede recently. Edgeguarding with bacon is still kinda useful, but he will usually just
jump recover out of it really quickly. Another way I used the chef was I spammed it from a distance, and he would
shield. He has to hold shield sometimes because there is bacon still lingering above him. I ran and grab combo'd him afterwards (down-throw to up-b to b-spam mostly). This only works sometimes, but the good thing is dedede
won't have time to punish you with a powerful move. As already stated, bacon vs spike ball is a major plus. Edgeguarding with dair was mighty effective (be sure you can do this effectively). The dedede might have uair'd me, but I used it fast and he didn't see it coming. You can get an instant kill with this if you're lucky (especially if you hit with the up-b on the way up, dedede, and any character really, might bounce off the stage and get spiked that way). That's mostly what I remember working very well. Anyways, I still lost most of the fights
against that dedede, but I think mainly because he was just a better player and I did too many stupid things that
got punished severely :(

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
Dthrow Judge for as long as percentage will allow.

Remember to taunt if successful, this is a crucial part of the strategy.

Top Bottom