• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-up discussion #8: Mr. Game And Watch

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Post your opinins about this match-up here.

Most people agree, that it's a 60:40 advabatge for GaW and so does the GaW community.
I also think so...

Things to watch out for are his disjointed hitboxes, especially in the air - his bair can beat yours easily, even if you space well. Speed wise he's up to par with you and his range overall is a tad better than your.

The best way to win is to use fast spammable moves like 0 lag fairs, followed by ftilts to keep him under pressure. A fresh dsmash can kill him very early. Use a small stage against him and you have decent chances to win. It's hard but not unbeateble...

Disuss!

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Indeed. Outranging it is the key to defeat GaW but only Marth, TL, MK and Snake can do it...

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Omfg the box. I hate the box so much, it might just be that I'm messing up on spacing, but it usually trades hits with bair. Just shieldgrab the key in between the first and second hit, trying anything else when directly under it is usually a bad idea. Shine counters some things pretty well, but GaW has good range/disjointed hitboxes on quite a few attacks. Control the spacing well though, I don't know exactly what outranges what but this seems to be more of a poking and punishing game to me.

Honestly, while this matchup is not in wolf's favor, it's not that bad once you learn how to handle it. GaW is the lightest character in the game iirc, so save your dsmash well for easy killing. Don't get too close, watch out for lingering fsmash, tech the dthrow away from GaW incase he dsmash's, shine when coming down from above to counter usmash's, all those simple basics. His attacks in general are more effective than your attacks, but you can counter most of them with decent prediction. When he's at kill % on last stock, blaster him from mid range until he buckets it and then DACUS or something for an easy finish, but a good GaW won't bucket from that close.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
60/40 GW

His spaced bair and dtilt are pretty safe. I think this matchup is best played up close, where he can't comfortably abuse these moves. If you call an incoming Bair or Dtilt, Shine and Blaster should halt them. His Dsmash and Fsmash have IASA frames, If you're perfect you may be able to punish on block with your 5 frame Fsmash. Don't Blaster unless you know he can't bucket it in time. Make use of jabs/mixups and grabs, and even well spaced Ftilt and tilt if you have frame advantage.

JCav

Smash Lord
the key is a fresh d smash, g &w being second lightest in the game. i also like shining g&w's dair while in air and following up with a move

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
He doesn't "****" him but 55:45 is a tad to low, dudes. GaW does have the adv without a doubt...

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Wolf really has no options against the turtle. It outprioritizes Wolf's laser so you really just have to retreat if you see it coming. The one thing that you can do is roll away and laser him when he hits the ground as the turtle does have some lag. Wolf has to play really defensive in this match and a lot of his usual tactics like approaching with bair or nair, are taken out of the whole match. Your forced to play defensive, but at the same time you need to get in his face, use tilts alot in this matchup. Also when he uses the key to get to the ground DO NOT APPROACH he can almost instantly dsmash because the key is almost lagless.

You really have to play extremely smart in this match to win, a lot of Wolfs game is taken out of the equation and G&W just has so many options. I'd say that it might even be worse than 40:60.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Wolf really has no options against the turtle. It outprioritizes Wolf's laser so you really just have to retreat if you see it coming. The one thing that you can do is roll away and laser him when he hits the ground as the turtle does have some lag. Wolf has to play really defensive in this match and a lot of his usual tactics like approaching with bair or nair, are taken out of the whole match. Your forced to play defensive, but at the same time you need to get in his face, use tilts alot in this matchup. Also when he uses the key to get to the ground DO NOT APPROACH he can almost instantly dsmash because the key is almost lagless.

You really have to play extremely smart in this match to win, a lot of Wolfs game is taken out of the equation and G&W just has so many options. I'd say that it might even be worse than 40:60.
I hate when people post misinformation, especially in matchup threads. Nothing outpriotizes the space animals lasers, GWs Bair is no exception. Lasers ignore hitboxes, making them some of the highest priority attacks in the game. I assume ROB's laser works the same way. I hate matchup threads because people often make points based on misinformation. At the same time, I can't stand to see said misinformation go uncontested.

Wolf's Shine will also beat GW's Bair, because of the invincibilty frames.

Wolf approaching with Nair is not a usual tactic. SH Bair is still a good approach option, and so is a SH Fair here and there. Both well spaced of course. I don't recommend Bair walling a GW much. With GW's priority, Bair wall is easier to intercept than a quick SH aerial.

I prefer to play safe aggression vs GW with good spacing and mixups to be as safe, disruptive and unpredictable as possible. There's not much benefit in using a defensive strategy, because a good GW is difficult to punish anyway. Which reminds me that I need to compare their frame data. I need to see just how exploitable the landing lag on GW's Bair is. Other moves too, since Wolf is better at punishing than most characters.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Thank you for informing me, i'm so used to getting tossed around by G&W's, that I just assumed nothing could get through the turtle:).

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Wolfs laser has one of the highest priority in the entire game. Not even the turtle can stop it

cutter

Smash Champion
Yes Wolf's blaster has transcendental priority which means it will bypass any hitbox unless it's something like a reflector or Oil Panic.

G&W's Bair has 12 frames of landing lag. Don't let that fool you though because the turtle's landing hitbox will still be active during that time frame even if it looks like the attack has ended. We're still trying to figure out when exactly the landing hitbox is still active during this time, but we can't pinpoint the exact duration.

kaak

Smash Journeyman
in my opinion it's neccesairy to play a defensive camp game with the blaster.
try to gimp him with bair before he use upb. dsmash wil be the key to kill gaw in most of the times.

DirtyE

Smash Rookie
game and watch is hard to beat for me.
Avoid the hammers especially the DownA, if he whips out the fraying pan lunge at him, if he does the down A more than once punish with DownA. Arials aren't too good against him... avoid using the laser if he whips out the can. Trash talking helps when using gorilla tactics, because using agressive tactics doesn't work so well imo. tri-claw then if he goes up illusion him if possible, goes low lunge. Lunge is the best tool imo ground attacks, and boost smash. getting the first kill is very important and getting him to atleast 50% before you die. my tactics might just be personal to the GaW i figh, but it works.

FailProofFrank

Smash Cadet
I have absolutely no problem fighting a G&W with Wolf at all, seeing as how one of my best friends has mained him (and me using wolf) since Brawl came out, I guess all i can say for people that have trouble is to avoid misuse of the laser for that will erupt in an Oil spill, and Wolf's D-smash can send GW flying at lower percentages...

Top Bottom