• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-Up Discussion #13! Lucario

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
I'd like to ask something, what is the best options against is Aura Charge Cancel? I use Lucario as a main, and you can some pretty nasty stuff with it.

So shieldbreaker right?

feardragon64

Smash Champion
^Why do you need to do anything to "counter" it. It's not an attack. All aura charge canceling does is make it safe(r). But marth isn't put in any danger by it that he wouldn't be if Lucario simply wasn't charging....

Timbers

check me out
Even if you baited Marth into going in for an fair or something, Marth still outspaces every option Lucario has out of a cancel.

It's probably the most irrelevant thing to this match.

Coda

Smash Cadet
so in this match up, maintain pressure equal and work on punishing?

or approach aggressively...

Aerial game? Marth still dominates Fair vs Fair?

Off stage, I've been getting gimped...

Counter?

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
so in this match up, maintain pressure equal and work on punishing?

or approach aggressively...

Aerial game? Marth still dominates Fair vs Fair?

Off stage, I've been getting gimped...

Counter?
Recover intelligently. Don't try attacking back, go low and Up-B his *** if he tries coming after you. DI!

Also, lately I've been doing grab release to DB on Lucarios. Is this guaranteed? It seems to work all the time.

Coda

Smash Cadet
HAHA YEAH i believe Grab Release -> DB is gauranteed. I've been doing that too... I completely forgot I did that all of yesturday...

meaning... Up B would also be viable...

since regrabbing lucario isn't possible, since that is 6 frames (coutesy to S2D, steel2nd) But with 4 frames from DB (also jab but I don't believe it will string to another)

Meaning the frame lag of Lucario ends on the 5th frame...

Which maybe would lead to a Pshield by Lucario...

OKAY... but, hm... iono...

Well first it should be decided if Lucario release to DB is guaranteed.

Fizzle

Smash Journeyman
Tips

-Camp in his face with fair. Watch out for spaced fsmash, though. Unless you manage to powershield it, don't attempt to punish a whiffed fsmash. Shieldbreaker will counter it if the Luc player is spamming (not wise), but using shieldbreaker consistently is too risky. Also avoid double fair because Luc's roll is quick enough to go right behind you and punish.
-Marth's fair outranges Luc's.
-Luc can't really gimp due to Marth's fair and DS but be careful when airdodging Luc's AS. Marth can cancel out AS at low-moderately high %, but at high aura a fully charged AS will plow through your fair easily. As long as you're not predictable with your recovery you won't get edgehogged.
-I believe you can upb out of most, if not all, jab mixups.
-Stay close to the ground. Lucario can juggle Marth fairly well due to Marth's sucky dair. Luc's uair ***** airdodges.

I don't believe any grab releases on Lucario are guaranteed, but I'm not completely sure.

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
Ive never played against any decent lucarios so ive never done that
guess ill have to start implementing it next time i face him

You outrange lucario except for aura sphere, juggling doesnt work cause his Dair is imba
can a perfectly spaced Uair hit a lucario when he is Dairing?
dont counter offstage, that will get you killed
just DI towards the stage and up-b stagespike his face so he thinks twice about trying to gimp you

Top Bottom