• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match openers

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
I'm curious to see what you guys are doing in the first few seconds of matches to kind of open with.
stages
BF
Smashvile
LyLat

FD is flat so it's kinda whatever.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Lately I've been wondering why I didn't go Diddy lol

Does that count?

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
I meant after the announcer says go T.T but I suppose pondering why I don't play an S tier should count.
Well now that I think about it S tier's S must mean Scumbag tier xD.

David Viran

Smash Lord
Only Diddy and sheik are definitely s tier everybody else can be anything they want to.

Don't go to lylat unless the opponent's character your facing is absolutely garbage there. This stage is very infuriating with the tilting screwing with all moves.

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
well i tend to try and be aware to use the tilts for certain moves like downsmash is easier to use vs the smaller chars that sh or float over it (puff and kirby ) when your on the high ground ect lol.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Only Diddy and sheik are definitely s tier everybody else can be anything they want to.

Don't go to lylat unless the opponent's character your facing is absolutely garbage there. This stage is very infuriating with the tilting screwing with all moves.
Woah what? Maybe it's because I play Sheik as well, but I love Lylat.
The platforms are great for juggles because you can easily cover all landing options, your tether recovery isn't hindered, and it's also a solid hate-pick because of how many people loathe the stage (though obviously this is much less of a thing the higher levels of play you go), etc. The tilting also helps make it so that as long as you're mindful of your positioning you can actually hit little f***ers like Pikachu with Jab/Ftilt/Utilt, so that's nice too.

DeLux

My thought process is typically -

"Are these people scared enough for me to past them and pivot grab them?"
If the answer is no I run at them for a dash grab instead.

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
My thought process is typically -

"Are these people scared enough for me to past them and pivot grab them?"
If the answer is no I run at them for a dash grab instead.
I am not worthy lol most of my attempts are far to telegraphed so I get spot dodge punished maybe I should start dash attack cancel grabbing instead xD.

David Viran

Smash Lord
I like to fake dash grabs with a foxtrot.

@ Jaxas Jaxas I don't hate it because zss is bad on it but because the stage itself is dumb sometimes.

Last edited:

BatShark

Smash Apprentice
Character dependent. Dash grab on FD and Smashville against 2/3 of the cast, start testing the waters with SHFF Nairs against those with quick projectiles or anyone that will take to the air quickly. BF I like the drop down Zair too, generally my goal is to rush them in case they give me a chance to get beneath their platform.

Last edited:

BatShark

Smash Apprentice
Lylat ****s with Down B from edge a lot. I think it's worse for most others than it is for us but I'd rather not go there generally. I almost never ban it though unless it's someone who has super safe recovery and think they're being cute.

DeLux

I all seriousness, I generally shoot my paralyzer and see what they do lol

Raisin

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4971-3853-0253
At the start of the match on BF, I like to platform drop neutral b > approaching nair > reteating nair. It usually gives me a general of what my opponent does in the neutral based on how the react to it.

ninrok

Smash Cadet
NNID
rokninja
First thing I usually do is paralyzer (sometimes SH paralyzer), and see how they rea--

I all seriousness, I generally shoot my paralyzer and see what they do lol
--oh. Yeah, exactly. :-p

Last edited:

theyellowflash26

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theyellowflash26
3DS FC
3153-5006-0716
On BF I run off and zair, if they dropped down it combos, if not I'm under them to do stuff. I also mix it up by flip jumping over to them sometimes. On flat stages, I usually charge paralyzer to start. And Lylat is pretty garbo

Top Bottom