• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MasterWarlord's Moveset Commentary and Constructive Criticism

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Link to original post: [drupal=584]MasterWarlord's Moveset Commentary and Constructive Criticism[/drupal]

Yeah, I'm gonna be starting from page 171 of the MYM 3.0 topic and going backwards to the first page. Nobody else has done so in this fashion, and I want the people later in the thread to get some reviews in. I'll be ignoring any incomplete movesets along the way, and upon getting to page 1 I'll do any rerates for revisions/judging of movesets that have since been completed. After being done with the first 171 pages, I'll start at the end of where the topic has gone to and proceed in this same fashion to give the more recently done movesets some more input which they'll be lacking.

I'm here to give you constructive critisicm to help you improve. While I may point out a lot of faults, don't think of me as Simon from American Idol. I'll try to be omptomistic in future movesets reviews (as of september 6th, 2008), but that doesn't mean I've not going to give you constructive criticism. If I just praised your moveset, you wouldn't learn anything, now would you? I want to see you improve, and if you follow my suggestions there's a good chance you can. Below is how I rate the movesets:

Before I will judge any moveset, it must have all of the following:

-4 special moves
-3 smash attacks
-3 tilts and an A/AA/AAA attack (Some characters don't need all three attacks or even two, look at Bowser, for example.)
-5 aerial attacks
-A grab, A grab attack, 4 throws
-Final Smash
-If your character is VERY obscure, I will require to see a picture at the top of your moveset so that I can actually picture the character you're making the moveset about.

If you missed a single throw or aerial or some such thing in a common mistake, I'll overlook it, but you wouldn't want to take that chance, now would you?

Originality X/20: How unique are the moves in presentation? Are they direct rip offs of moves of characters actually in Brawl/other movesets you/others have made? Are they generic moves like a punch, kick or slash of their weapon with nearly nothing special in how they do so? Avoid filling a moveset with too many of the same type of attacks. The most common victim of this is slashes of a character's weapon and kicks. If the attacks are unique in how they're performed, it's fine, but it's harder to do.

Detail X/30: How detailed are your descriptions of the move? Call me weird, but I want to know everything about how your character would play in smash. I want to be able to actually fully picture them as playable characters and how they'd play. Give me detail on the damage percents, knockback, range and priority of the moves, and if there's any "sweetspot in the attack". If there's a good competetive use for the move, I also want to hear it. If there are several similiar moves, why should I use this move over another slightly more powerful one? The tilts don't need as much detail as the rest of the moves, but more detail is always good. I'll never say "tl;dr".

Balance X/20: Will your character be the next Meta Knight of Brawl? Avoid your character being overpowered at all costs. Make sure you balance them as well as you can, including the final smash. There's also the rare case where somebody makes a moveset that's underpowered, but this isn't as big of a problem as being overpowered, not costing you as many points. Avoid making your character too good, make sure you intentionally give them -some- bad moves.

If you want to explain why your character is balanced, make a paragraph at the end entiteled "Overall play style" that describes the entire character decently briefly. This paragraph should include how the character is played competetively. If you're too lazy to do this, you can have a simple pros and cons list, although this won't help me see how balanced the character is as well.

Relevance to Character X/15: Make sure your moveset actually makes sense for the character. A big hefty character shouldn't have a lot of fast attacks. Make sure you use the more famous attacks your character has, or else the moveset will seem more generic. All in all, make sure it's the actual character you're making a moveset for, not just their body type.

Extras X/10: Adding things that aren't required will give you some extra points, but in the grand scheme of things aren't that large of a percentage of your score. Still, going all out on extras can help the moveset have good presentation. Taunts and Results Screen Poses are most important, while the rest are extras. Below is a list of common extra you can include:
-Taunts
-Entrance
-Results Screen Poses (The character's poses for winning and how they clap upon losing)
-Kirby Hat
-Alternate Colors/Costumes (Avoid going overboard with too many costumes, try to keep it realistic)
-Snake Codec Conversation
-Home Stage
-Assist Trophy
-Trophy List
-Item
-Role in SSE (How they'd actually be implemented into the SSE already in Brawl, not into a custom one. For an example, see my Voldo or Nightmare movesets.)
-Symbol
-Music

Organization X/5: This basically defines how easy the moveset is on the eyes to read. If your moveset has a lot of long paragraphs, it will be harder to read. Try to break up your paragraphs a decent bit, although if you don't go that detailed this won't be much of a problem. Make sure you have all of the attacks of the same type together. Also, avoid making a giant white wall of text, use colors to help make your moveset easier to read. Avoid using colors which are hard to read, as this could possibly give you a NEGATIVE score in this section.

Overall X/100

I'm not actually giving number point values, but that's how important I consider each category to be. I'll give my commentary on each individual category for the moveset to give you an in depth look on what I think of it, and hopefully my thoughts will point out a few things you can improve on. If you don't agree with my suggestions, that's fine, they're my opinions, not yours. If you don't find my opinions on your individual movesets helpful or like your moveset fine the way it is, don't change it!

Links:

Make your move 3.0 topic
<a href="http://www.freewebs.com/mym3/" target="_blank">SirKibble

Top Bottom