• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Masterpieces" In Smash 4

Lozjam

Smash Champion
As a ton of you probably know, Super Smash Brothers Brawl had demos for games on the virtual console for the Wii. These were referred in-game as "Masterpieces". What demos do you guys think Smash 4 will showcase? Do you think we will get demos of current games, like having a demo for Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze?

Last edited:

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Demo of "Super Smash Bros. Melee: Remastered HD Edition"
15 Minutes only, and the only characters playable are Mario and Luigi on a lazy port of the Kingdom II stage.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I believe masterpieces were a good example of Brawl just having more filler than useful content. Just wastes of space, really. I don't believe they, along with the chronicle and stickers, should return.

Acadian Flycatcher

Smash Journeyman
I hope we don't get demos this time around. Nothing against them, they just took up valuable time that could have been spent somewhere else.

They could somehow promote those old classics through the eshop and allow demos or discounts from there.

Imagine the Smash Wii U hype if the eshop had a new game featuring someone from the cast every week or so for a discount price. Put Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green on there to promote Mewtwo/Jigglypuff and people will lose their minds.

Last edited:

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I believe masterpieces were a good example of Brawl just having more filler than useful content. Just wastes of space, really. I don't believe they, along with the chronicle and stickers, should return.
I doubt that the Chronicle and stickers took all that much time to put into the game or took up any noticeable space.
Along with the trophies, the Chronicle and Stickers showcase nintendo's rich history.
Ever since melee, Smash became not only a fighting game, but a museum of nintendo lore.
I won't miss em too much if they're gone but they were a nice addition.

The masterpieces didn't really span enough games to show where characters movesets and such came from, if they are gonna include it, they gotta include at least 1 game for each character that appeared on the N64 or earlier, although I guess I understand that not all of those games have been ported yet. And once the wii u becomes hackable, all of those games will be available for free which puts nintendo in a tough spot.

What I'd really like to see is a gallery showing iconic screenshots from past games maybe explaining where characters got their moves and just looking cool.
Like the image of Link getting the sword from the old man, or Mario jumping to reach the flag.

Or what about videos showing the development process?
(I wonder if nintendo even films that stuff)

Canuckduck

Smash Ace
Demo of "Super Smash Bros. Melee: Remastered HD Edition"
15 Minutes only, and the only characters playable are Mario and Luigi on a lazy port of the Kingdom II stage.
I bet the fanboys will still play that over SSB4 because it has wavedashing.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Eh, I forgot about these to be honest. Weren't there GCT codes via Gecko that allowed one to bypass the time limit for the demos, thus making the demos pretty much full games (or full to the extent that the demo could not go farther)?

Anyways, I wouldn't mind it one way or another about whether they returned or not. I felt that it was a bonus, but just only as a bonus (and maybe advertising for the Virtual Console games).

Aren't the Wii U disks able to hold like 25GB of data? Soooooo, I GUESS storage size isn't THAT much of an issue this time around. Still, I KINDA preferred the trophies over the Masterpieces. Hope they go all out with trophies this time around.

Canuckduck

Smash Ace
Eh, I forgot about these to be honest. Weren't there GCT codes via Gecko that allowed one to bypass the time limit for the demos, thus making the demos pretty much full games (or full to the extent that the demo could not go farther)?

Anyways, I wouldn't mind it one way or another about whether they returned or not. I felt that it was a bonus, but just only as a bonus (and maybe advertising for the Virtual Console games).

Aren't the Wii U disks able to hold like 25GB of data? Soooooo, I GUESS storage size isn't THAT much of an issue this time around. Still, I KINDA preferred the trophies over the Masterpieces. Hope they go all out with trophies this time around.
I'd rather they don't include masterpieces.

atliens99

Smash Rookie
I thought the masterpieces were great, the demos should be a lot longer though. Some of the last demos were like 30secs - 1 min. The ocarina of time one was boring too because it started you off at the beginning. The N64 and before games take up barely any space at all so thats not an issue. I would like to see some gamecube demos on the new smash though. Pokemon snap demo please .

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
Masterpieces making a comeback? NO, thank you. Easily the most useless addition in Brawl. If Nintendo really insists on making timed demos, just stick them on the eShop. They have no place in a Super Smash Bros. game. Such a waste of time and storage space. Not to mention that they took an effing year to load. Gah.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I wouldn't mind it, since it makes total sense. It lets people get a taste of what each franchises games are like.

Though an alternative to actually making this an in-game thing is making special, unlimited use demos for the eShop, that have a code for them with each copy of Smash, or something.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Imho I really don't like the idea of Smash Bros. being the game that brings people to other Nintendo games. In a small margin, yeah sure. But people should be playing Smash BECAUSE the played most of the games from Nintendo already and know these characters and that's why they want to play it. But it really feels like this time around it's kinda the other way and I don't agree with that.

I'd rather they focus on characters/stages than anything else in the game, but I have to say it was a nice little extra to be able to play a few of the "masterpieces". Still, like I said there are much more important things to me than that.

Canuckduck

Smash Ace
Masterpieces making a comeback? NO, thank you. Easily the most useless addition in Brawl. If Nintendo really insists on making timed demos, just stick them on the eShop. They have no place in a Super Smash Bros. game. Such a waste of time and storage space. Not to mention that they took an effing year to load. Gah.
YES, like every other system in this generation.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
Imho I really don't like the idea of Smash Bros. being the game that brings people to other Nintendo games. In a small margin, yeah sure. But people should be playing Smash BECAUSE the played most of the games from Nintendo already and know these characters and that's why they want to play it. But it really feels like this time around it's kinda the other way and I don't agree with that.
It can be both things. Smash can be a culmination of one's love of Nintendo, OR it can be a launching pad for someone who's too young to have really grown up with the characters, or who simply doesn't know who most of them are. You're only a shade away from telling people who've never read comics they shouldn't be allowed to see "The Avengers" because then they're doing it wrong or something, and that's not an attitude I can get behind at all.

Luigi player

Smash Master
It can be both things. Smash can be a culmination of one's love of Nintendo, OR it can be a launching pad for someone who's too young to have really grown up with the characters, or who simply doesn't know who most of them are. You're only a shade away from telling people who've never read comics they shouldn't be allowed to see "The Avengers" because then they're doing it wrong or something, and that's not an attitude I can get behind at all.
Well I'm not saying people shouldn't play Smash before playing the other things. But they're using Smash to promote all the franchises, which people should (not have to) usually have played before even playing Smash. Though I guess it's true that this is difficult for the newer generations...

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276

I'd rather they focus on characters/stages than anything else in the game, but I have to say it was a nice little extra to be able to play a few of the "masterpieces". Still, like I said there are much more important things to me than that.
To be honest, Melee acted as a launching pad for me. I started gaming around late 2001 (maybe early 2002) and Melee introduced several franchises to me.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I hope we either get ALL of the content (that means Earthbound and Fire Emblem too), or none of it (as it's a clear marketing gimmick). Leave it to the U version, though, no reason to consume the already relatively limited space on the 3DS.

Mark Helsing

Smash Rookie
I'd like to see them gone. I feel like the inclusion was both messy and shallow. There was no way I could play most of those demos because they were like thirty seconds long. That's barely enough time to grab a ledge in Ocarina of Time. I feel like they weren't there to tribute older games and get people interested, they were there to show off the Virtual Console an advertise the specific games they wanted you to buy. I'd prefer a butt-ton of more trophies instead of any demos.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
IMO, stickers shouldn't come back, because I was compelled to memorize all that stuff, and I can't remember all that **** on top of trophies and everything else.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Each character gets a full game that can be downloaded exclusively from the shop virtual console. That way, if Lucas comes back, we finally get Mother 3.

Just kidding.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
I thought Masterpieces were kind of weird, But they did work... It could be renamed to "Arcade" and you spend coins to play the games without an extremely limited time.

AncientArk

Smash Apprentice
I hope Smash Bros 4 doesnt have them.
Waste of time and space.
The time limit really didnt let you enjoy them.

I think you had something like 50 seconds to beat the Mute City race for the F-Zero demo.
Kind of lame.

Last edited:

Reader

Smash Apprentice
I hope they will enter Metroid: Other M as a masterpiece. The tears will definitely be delicious.

Top Bottom