• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

mastering utilt

DarkKyanite

Smash Journeyman
let's get straight into my point lol

since brawl has a whole new edge game, most ppl must already realized that edheguarding is close to impossible because of the auto sweetspoting (for us falcon players we should feel it even more)

so after playing the game for 1 month, i found out that (at least to myself) edgeguarding still exist but in a different form.
back in melee, edge guard was usually done by hanging on the edge to prevent ppl from grabbing it. intermediate players often let go of the edge and use areials to knock the opponet farther. both of this is a lot harder to perform in brawl especially the first one i mentioned.

so what is the new edgeguarding in my mind anyway? do u guys remember being **** and harass by marth's fsmash, dtilt or anything with the goddam sword when u were trying to recover? lol
that's the only edgeguard form that stays the same in brawl. since ppl can no longer edgeguard by hanging on the edge effectively, ppl should just ignore the hanging on the edge option(i know u do that already). like melee marth, the brawl edgeguard tests how well a player can predict the oppnent's way of coming up from the edge.

edit, i am not saying that jumping off of the stage and arieal opponent's not a choice, i am just saying that it's a lot harder.

and here's where the utilt come from
our captain's utilt is buffed a lot more than many ppl think. if u haven't notice, falcon's utilt now makes him steps forward by a good amount of range, it has the kb to kill when the opponent's at semi high percent and plus it has a huge *** hit box that covers basiclly the whole edge lol(the hitbox's bigger than j lo's butt). if the opponent trys to jump from the edge, they will be caught by the early hit box of the utilt. if they spam edge auto sweet spot with either upb or 2nd jump, they will be caught by the end of the utilt's crazy ending hitbox. (test it if udon't believe me, there's once my falcon hit the ground hella hard with his foot and the power went through the sharp edge of FD's and killed the orange shirt luigi). plus falcon can stay out of the enemy's reach to perform the utilt because the move makes him step forward.

i am telling you, master the uptilt!!! that move's more useful than the cellphone.

Chris is me

Smash Apprentice
that's the only edgeguard form that stays the same in brawl. since ppl can no longer edgeguard by hanging on the edge effectively, ppl should just ignore the hanging on the edge option(i know u do that already). like melee marth, the brawl edgeguard tests how well a player can predict the oppnent's way of coming up from the edge.
Wait, why can't we edgehog effectively? It's easier to grab then in Melee (though you can't really use your invincible frames) and it stops enough characters (cough Ike cough).

But yes, the Utilt is pretty **** awesome. It was good in Melee for exactly this, and it's even better in Brawl.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Edgehogging definitely is not the great tactic it used to be but I still find it useful at times. Falcon's UpB tends to beat most people who have attacking UpBs to the edge so if you are out edgeguarding them you can sometimes edgehog them by barely beating them to the edge and then having invincibility frames. Otherwise it's only useful against a select few number of characters.

Utilt is a nice move now for stopping people approaching the edge. However I find it easier and more effective to just jump off and use Falcon's beast aerials against recovering foes.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Dtilt on the ledge works well too, especially if they need to pop up above the ledge slightly before they actually grab it. Then you can pretty much uair them away again.

DarkKyanite

Smash Journeyman
Dtilt on the ledge works well too, especially if they need to pop up above the ledge slightly before they actually grab it. Then you can pretty much uair them away again.
dtilt to uair can be avoid by airdodgeing most of the time

Elbow

Smash Apprentice
You can't stand far enough away, and not get hit by sword users just using the normal attack get-up.

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
bair/upair/reverse upair are probably the best edgeguard options.

Tilts won't work that well. Uptilt works on characters who have really hard time sweetspotting (D3, Snake, Pit, R.O.B., etc.) But then you can just go and dair/bair them pretty easily.

But uptilt is just generally useful now.

Spudnick

Smash Apprentice
I think that up tilt has been buffed, but not so much that it can replace aerials when edgeguarding. Falcon's down air has been nerfed I admit, but now if you hit your opponent coming up with it, it has a chance of either smashing them back down, or smashing them away from the stage horizontally. I think this new element is pretty useful even though I still don't fully understand the mechanics of it. Falcon's up air is still as sexy as ever and the knee....is the knee

Top Bottom