• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Master Fortress

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I am screwed if this is 9.0 exclusive. I had enough trouble on 9.0 in the 3ds version.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I am screwed if this is 9.0 exclusive. I had enough trouble on 9.0 in the 3ds version.
It seems that you'll encounter Master Fortress if the intensity level is set at 8.0 or higher. Also, clearing Classic on intensity level 9.0 will most likely be inevitable, as you can't bypass that challenge in Smash 3DS at all; it's a Golden Hammer immune challenge.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
It seems that you'll encounter Master Fortress if the intensity level is set at 8.0 or higher. Also, clearing Classic on intensity level 9.0 will most likely be inevitable, as you can't bypass that challenge in Smash 3DS at all; it's a Golden Hammer immune challenge.
I'm still doomed, it took me a while just to get through 9.0 on 3ds.
Maybe I could transfer my custom move set that won it for me and do it again.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm still doomed, it took me a while just to get through 9.0 on 3ds.
Maybe I could transfer my custom move set that won it for me and do it again.
You need to remember though, that Wii U's Classic mode operates in a completely different manner. What helped you get to Master Core in Smash 3DS might not work so well in Smash Wii U.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I don't really see anything that would keep custom set-ups that made Classic easy on the 3DS from being effective in the Wii U version, as well.

The fact that you have much more control over who/where you're fighting looks like it could potentially make this Classic mode easier overall.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I don't really see anything that would keep custom set-ups that made Classic easy on the 3DS from being effective in the Wii U version, as well.

The fact that you have much more control over who/where you're fighting looks like it could potentially make this Classic mode easier overall.
Excellent point, thanks for the advice.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Anyone know the minimum intensity needed for the Master Fortress to show up?

Also you might have to do the whole mode in a set time to make the Master Fortress show up. Kind of like Crazy hand and Giga Bowser in Melee. You have to be in a hard enough difficulty and clear the rest of the mode fast enough. Too slow and you don't see these optional bosses. It could be the same for the Master Core.

Last edited:

Rakurai

Smash Ace
It appears on 8.0 and above. There's no other factors involved.

I would've liked if something even crazier showed up exclusively on 9.0, since simply doing a level after a lengthy multi-phase boss fight feels kind of underwhelming.

Last edited:

the8thark

Smash Lord

I would've liked if something even crazier showed up exclusively on 9.0, since simply doing a level after a lengthy multi-phase boss fight feels kind of underwhelming.
Thanks for the info.
Does anyone have an official source for this information? I'd like to read what it says if that's possible.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

Please no! Just getting to Master Fortress can be a chore, so the last thing we need is more insult to injury being added.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I guess I'm just desiring something that's masochistically difficult since clearing 9.0 has become second nature to me at this point.

Maybe they'll have a silly event match that requires you to beat Master Core without getting hit or something like that.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Maybe they'll have a silly event match that requires you to beat Master Core without getting hit or something like that.
That's kind of a long stretch.

Anyway, Melee did have an event match where you had to fight Master Hand and Crazy Hand with only one life. If you have to fight all of Master Core's forms with only one life, that would be a very atrocious ordeal.

many37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
many37
3DS FC
2423-4448-6030
Please no! Just getting to Master Fortress can be a chore, so the last thing we need is more insult to injury being added.
Sheesh dude what are you complaining about? In my case, I'm hoping the Master Fortress makes my Smash Classic runs so miserable it makes me wanna cry on a corner on the fetal position...

...so when I beat it, I get a HUGE dose of satisfaction. ;)

the8thark

Smash Lord
Sheesh dude what are you complaining about? In my case, I'm hoping the Master Fortress makes my Smash Classic runs so miserable it makes me wanna cry on a corner on the fetal position...

...so when I beat it, I get a HUGE dose of satisfaction. ;)
That is assuming you can beat it at all. That's a risky assumption to make.

That's kind of a long stretch.

Anyway, Melee did have an event match where you had to fight Master Hand and Crazy Hand with only one life. If you have to fight all of Master Core's forms with only one life, that would be a very atrocious ordeal.
I think a fortress event mote stage would be very possible to be in the game. Melee had the two hands in a stage and giga bowser in another so anything is possible.

Last edited:

many37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
many37
3DS FC
2423-4448-6030
That is assuming you can beat it at all. That's a risky assumption to make.
I did beat Classic mode at 9.0 on the 3DS with Ganon (didn't die once) so I might record myself doing a Solo Classic mode run at intensity 9.0 on the Wii U version and post it to Youtube.

@ many37 many37 : Have you seen any of the Master Fortress footage videos? That's basically what I'm getting at.
Master Fortress to me seems like a mental break from all of the action of all the previous forms. I'm not saying the Fortress is any easier than the previous forms however. Plus you get a Heart Container before entering?? That's not fun bro! I like it rough :D

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Even I have my limits when it comes to difficulty though. I never 200% completed Donkey Kong Country Returns, because I found it so absurd that Mirror Mode only gave you one heart; I can't even beat Colonel Pluck without taking a hit. Tropical Freeze added insult to injury for its Hard Mode by not only leaving you with only one heart, but also taking away all checkpoints as well.

Anyway, on-topic, I just feel like enough is enough after you've conquered Master Fortress. Just take out Master Core and be done with it; I'm not letting it kill me with its 1-hit KO wave attack, as I really hated dealing with Tabuu's off-waves back in Brawl.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Even I have my limits when it comes to difficulty though. I never 200% completed Donkey Kong Country Returns, because I found it so absurd that Mirror Mode only gave you one heart; I can't even beat Colonel Pluck without taking a hit. Tropical Freeze added insult to injury for its Hard Mode by not only leaving you with only one heart, but also taking away all checkpoints as well.

Anyway, on-topic, I just feel like enough is enough after you've conquered Master Fortress. Just take out Master Core and be done with it; I'm not letting it kill me with its 1-hit KO wave attack, as I really hated dealing with Tabuu's off-waves back in Brawl.
I agree 100% with this. Tabuu's off-waves back in Brawl was the only reason I could not beat the hardest difficulty of boss battles. Tabuu's off-waves would just one shot me dead at any percent and I had zero way to avoid it. I think Nintendo needs to go back to the SNES and 64 days where on the whole they put fun over making the game stupidly hard. Sure games need to have some difficulty, but when they are so hard that the fun slowly dies, when that's a failed game.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I agree 100% with this. Tabuu's off-waves back in Brawl was the only reason I could not beat the hardest difficulty of boss battles. Tabuu's off-waves would just one shot me dead at any percent and I had zero way to avoid it. I think Nintendo needs to go back to the SNES and 64 days where on the whole they put fun over making the game stupidly hard. Sure games need to have some difficulty, but when they are so hard that the fun slowly dies, when that's a failed game.
Yeah the biggest challenge is timing your sidestep dodges just right (and hope that you don't trip). I was fortunate to conquer Brawl's Intense Boss Battles with Fox, and I never wanted to deal with that absurdity ever again. When I found out that Master Core had that very same unblockable 1-hit KO attack, I knew that I should take out Master Core ASAP, as I never wanted to face that same incident again.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
I agree 100% with this. Tabuu's off-waves back in Brawl was the only reason I could not beat the hardest difficulty of boss battles. Tabuu's off-waves would just one shot me dead at any percent and I had zero way to avoid it.
Spot dodging is the best move

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Not as easy as it sounds. I tried that but never timed it perfectly.
It's still the ideal move to use, though.

Off topic, but if you want to practice against Tabuu in Brawl, I recommend just having a completed SSE save file, revisiting the Great Maze on Intense Difficulty, and going to Tabuu from there. Tabuu is located just one short, one minute stretch from the top-right entry point of the Great Maze, so you can get there really quickly. From there, just practice beating him without losing a Stock.

If you can successfully do this, then you will be able to take him on in Boss Battles, as all bosses have less health in Boss Battles mode compared to SSE.

I did Intense Boss Battles as Sonic, but other characters like Fox were pretty good for it too.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
It's still the ideal move to use, though.

Off topic, but if you want to practice against Tabuu in Brawl, I recommend just having a completed SSE save file, revisiting the Great Maze on Intense Difficulty, and going to Tabuu from there. Tabuu is located just one short, one minute stretch from the top-right entry point of the Great Maze, so you can get there really quickly. From there, just practice beating him without losing a Stock.

If you can successfully do this, then you will be able to take him on in Boss Battles, as all bosses have less health in Boss Battles mode compared to SSE.

I did Intense Boss Battles as Sonic, but other characters like Fox were pretty good for it too.
I did boss battle in intense with Ice Climbers in my first time!

Rakurai

Smash Ace
After doing my first run of the place with Mega Man, the only part I really felt very pressured at is the last segment, as hitting a wall or acid pool can easily result in you getting ricocheted around until you get KO'd if you don't tech.

If you simply grab the Stalfos and KO the Lethiniums before they can get their lasers off, it's really not that difficult overall.

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
Thank goodness. I probably would get pummeled by Stalfos if I didn't know I can throw him. Fighting him just turnd from an "oh crap" moment to simply tossing him into the acid and putting on sunglasses. :shades:

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I beat Master Fortress today using :4duckhunt:. My trick was to use equipment to focus on defense, and ensure that the enemies that fire laser's were all dead before attacking.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Thank goodness. I probably would get pummeled by Stalfos if I didn't know I can throw him. Fighting him just turnd from an "oh crap" moment to simply tossing him into the acid and putting on sunglasses. :shades:
That is rather odd, since in Smash Run, Stalfos' were immune to grabs. Apparently, the ones in Master Fortress must've been resized to be grab-vulnerable.

ZelDan

Smash Master
>play classic mode in Smash Wii U
>make it to master Fortress for first time on 9.0 intensity with Ike
>manage to destroy three of its hearts
>hmmm maybe the next one is down there
>find out that "down there" ended up being a bottomless pit and stupidly fall to my death
>lose my last stock and get game over

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Beat Master Fortress on 9.0 with uncustomized Captain Falcon, today.

jeez what a chore! I do not find the fortress fun at all. especially when you get combo'd by 5-6 lava pits in a row, each one doing 25% damage! It's just bad designed, in my opinion. What a shame, really

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I honestly don't think Master Fortress is that hard, at least relative to the rest of Master Core's forms. It's really more annoying than anything else due to the laser flowers (which are the only real annoying thing in the fortress if I'm totally honest. The lava is so easy to avoid without them and the rest of the enemies are pushovers. The flowers are pushovers too but their range makes them problematic).

Edges will forever be the form I consider to be the hardest, and it's the only form that genuinely feels tough due to how hard it is to hit with some characters. Everything on Master Giant is super telegraphed and you can honestly avoid everything he does by air dodging, spot dodging or rolling. Master Beast hits hard and the hitboxes are huge, but his knockback is next to nothing on everything but his bites. Counters in particular wreck him. Master Shadow is an absolute joke.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I have yet to even play the 8.0 intensity level. My gold supply has been crying because of all the trophies that I've been collecting; the 1000G and 1500G trophies are the big culprits. At times I've seen myself having less than 500G remaining.

Odds are, it likely won't be until I have all the Final Smash trophies that I'll even be trying to complete those 8.0 intensity challenges. Problem is, Rosalina has been my only real trump card, even in Smash 3DS, so having to play the 8.0 intensity with three different characters is going to be a frustrating process, especially for the first 6 stages of Classic mode.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I have yet to even play the 8.0 intensity level. My gold supply has been crying because of all the trophies that I've been collecting; the 1000G and 1500G trophies are the big culprits. At times I've seen myself having less than 500G remaining.

Odds are, it likely won't be until I have all the Final Smash trophies that I'll even be trying to complete those 8.0 intensity challenges. Problem is, Rosalina has been my only real trump card, even in Smash 3DS, so having to play the 8.0 intensity with three different characters is going to be a frustrating process, especially for the first 6 stages of Classic mode.
Don't you only have to do it for two characters?

As long as you pick your second best character and give them a custom build that emphasises power without compromising the defense or speed too much, you should be fine.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Don't you only have to do it for two characters?

As long as you pick your second best character and give them a custom build that emphasises power without compromising the defense or speed too much, you should be fine.
There are two 8.0 intensity challenges. The first one requires you to complete it with 2 characters, while the second requires you to complete it with 3 characters (one character more than the first challenge). They both reward you Master Fortress CDs.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
That seems kinda redundant, but I should be able to manage the next two runs with Sonic and Mega Man.

helado caducado

Smash Rookie
NNID
khmaster
3DS FC
3265-5104-9952
yesterday I beated master fortress at 8.0 with marth
I never was so tense playing videogames
the most important thing is kill the enemies with lazers

mi build was
boots of quality
royal cape
leyend sword
stat:
attack+37
defence+40
speed +27

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I've managed to complete intensity 8.0 with Rosalina earlier today. I lost my first life to Master Beast, so I did have to be more cautious during the Master Fortress phase.

Fortunately, despite a few goof-ups, my cautious approaches got me the victory, as I made sure to take out all the enemies before going after the final weak point.

helado caducado

Smash Rookie
NNID
khmaster
3DS FC
3265-5104-9952
I won now with rosalina
I I managed to keep the two lifes, I losed one life in master forttres, but I winned
now I have to do one more time
I shoud try with lucina because its similar to marth

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
All that I know is that I'll have to use the mobile fighters for those 8.0 intensity challenges, as Master Fortress is a nightmare for slowpokes like Ganondorf.

I could try Lucina, as her Counter could be used against Master Beast and Master Edges, but since Master Shadow will end up copying Lucina, I will have to watch out for opposing Counters. There's also Yoshi and his down aerial, but regardless of which character I use, it won't do me much good if I can't get past the first 6 stages.

At least 8.0's fee is only 1250G, unlike with 9.0 and its 2200G fee.

Top Bottom