• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Master Fortress

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Pls let me know if i;m not allowed to make threads here...

The Master Fortress. Seemingly a Smash Run-esque stage made from the swarm of the Master Core. All we know is that it appears on higheer intensities, I think 8.0 and up to guarantee that you are forced to Invade the Master Fortress. Because of the amount of swarm making a stage would take, I assume that you skip the form fights so it can generate enough swarm first. Although the existence of a Heart Container disproves this.

How hard do you think going into the Core itself will be? Is the time limit still there? When you're done, do you have to get out in time? I hope the rewards are scaled very high for dealing with a boss, potential 3 other bosses with a clone, AND a stage.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
With a time limit of only 5 minutes, I'm probably guessing that Master Fortress will completely bypass the Master Giant, Master Beast, Master Edges, and Master Shadow phases; once you've defeated Master Fortress, you'd only have to KO Master Core before it self-destructs.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
With a time limit of only 5 minutes, I'm probably guessing that Master Fortress will completely bypass the Master Giant, Master Beast, Master Edges, and Master Shadow phases; once you've defeated Master Fortress, you'd only have to KO Master Core before it self-destructs.
This is basically what i think. 3 minutes 1-2 life(s) to storm a Fortress would suck, 5 minutes 2 lives is already bad enough.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
As part of some screenshots that were released (GameXplain had a video on it), I noticed that the enemies you encounter in the fortress are actually Swarm versions of various Smash Run enemies. Like, they have the same appearance as those enemies, just made out of swarm instead.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
As part of some screenshots that were released (GameXplain had a video on it), I noticed that the enemies you encounter in the fortress are actually Swarm versions of various Smash Run enemies. Like, they have the same appearance as those enemies, just made out of swarm instead.
Yeah i saw that. Maybe they have higher or lower stars too, like higher hp or more damage? Or maybe it's just aesthetic.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Depending on the intensity level, the enemies could end up moving faster, and dealing more damage to you.
That'd me cool,assuming that it's at 8.0, a 5% increase per 0.1 in intensity would make it atrociously difficult, especially if at one point weaknesses get removed (bubbles and Metroid are now stupid annoying.), resists and immunities added, and health or defense increased too. Let's assume that all happens. I now know Shulk is really feeling it in hell.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
That'd me cool,assuming that it's at 8.0, a 5% increase per 0.1 in intensity would make it atrociously difficult, especially if at one point weaknesses get removed (bubbles and Metroid are now stupid annoying.), resists and immunities added, and health or defense increased too. Let's assume that all happens. I now know Shulk is really feeling it in hell.
Considering that Master Fortress will likely be inevitable on intensity level 9.0, that type of situation will probably happen.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
It was actually confirmed by another Youtuber who got to play the game at a press event that it comes after Master Shadow, so I'm guessing the timer just gets reset when you reach it.

The way the layout looks from some press release screenshots seems to make it virtually impossible to get KO'd (Unless the acid pools are danger zones or instant KO hazards), which is kind of making me think it's mostly there to build damage on you before a final battle.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
They give you a Heart Container if you make it that far.

That's basically saying "YOU WILL DIE HERE". That thing looks hard. Can't imagine it in Classic co-op...

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
They give you a Heart Container if you make it that far.

That's basically saying "YOU WILL DIE HERE". That thing looks hard. Can't imagine it in Classic co-op...
Twice as easy. Or twice as sadistic with two Shulks really feeling the ****storm of Nothing Harder!

Last edited:

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
If there's a swarm Clubberskull/Devil's car/Darknut/whatever it's going to be harder than i thought.

Old Man Nintendo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SilentMage
Switch FC
6429-6879-3474
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Master Fortress requires you to escape after destroying the Master Core, a la Metroid, where either 1) whatever time you have left is what you have to escape, or 2) the timer resets in accordance with your intensity level.

Either way, I expect a serious challenge from the creatures roaming the caverns within, and maybe even a mini-boss type creature protecting the Master Core!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
No matter how you slice and dice the situation, it's quite likely that having to defeat Master Core on intensity level 9.0 will be completely inevitable; you can't use your Golden Hammer on that objective in Smash 3DS after all.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
No matter how you slice and dice the situation, it's quite likely that having to defeat Master Core on intensity level 9.0 will be completely inevitable; you can't use your Golden Hammer on that objective in Smash 3DS after all.
Yeah. maybe at 8.0 you can skip the Fortress and just do the Core, but on 9.0 I gurantee that there will be either no choice but to do it, or a secret difficulty that forces you to.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Some more gameplay footage.

Confirmed to come after Master Shadow and you get a three minute time extension for it.

Both the acid pools and the acid-covered walls/floors are danger zones, so you actually do have a pretty decent risk of being KO'd, considering that they seem to have hand picked some of the most annoying Smash Run enemies to appear there (And made them worse, if the Plasma Wisps are any indication). It also looks like it isn't linear, either, and you have some choice in which direction to go at multiple points.

Still hoping Master Core is an actual boss instead of a punching bag when you do finally reach it.

On a side note, it seems like quite a few of the attacks used by the previous forms are faster then they were in the 3DS version, particularly the explosions caused by Master Giant's headbutt, and that annoying uppercut slash from Edges.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
After seeing the footage, it seems that the danger zones can only KO you if your damage is over 100%. Bowser came into contact with a danger zone at one point, but he wasn't KO'd. But upon touching the acid pool, Bowser's damage was high enough to get KO'd instantly.

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
After seeing the footage, it seems that the danger zones can only KO you if your damage is over 100%. Bowser came into contact with a danger zone at one point, but he wasn't KO'd. But upon touching the acid pool, Bowser's damage was high enough to get KO'd instantly.
so pretty much like great cave offensive

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
Seems like that's the case. I sure hope that customizations are allowed, as the healing equipment might be very vital for keeping your damage below 100%.
in classic i would think so it was allowed in 3ds version

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
Also, taking a friend along helps a bit too, although it will certainly offset the difficulty. So long as one of us survives, and the game does not count that a fail, we should win. Otherwise, healing items would be our best bet.

EDIT: Perhaps using your smash-run configuration would help a bit with the enemies. One question though, does the flinch-resistance skeleton have a weakness, I can see him being the most annoying.

Last edited:

Shog

Smash Ace
Did you guys realized how interesting Master Fortress is for the Smash Lore? If you consider Master Cores Off Waves, and the Master Fortress, doesn't that basically confirm that the Swarm is a part of Tabuu? And entered Master Hand? ... I am to sleepy to make a cool theory out of it but someone might get the idea.

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
Perhaps master hand was absorbed into Tabuu, and the result is Master Core. Master Core could be seen as his, more destructive, ego. The pain of defeat in the final battle is enough to cause Master Hand to lose control, and become Master Core! Will our heroes hold out? Or will they be doomed to an untimely trophication?

Rakurai

Smash Ace
So I saw another video of someone clearing it.

When you destroy the last weak point, the fortress just blows up and you're left on the Final Destination platform with Master Core as per usual.

I'm extremely underwhelmed by that.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Also, taking a friend along helps a bit too, although it will certainly offset the difficulty. So long as one of us survives, and the game does not count that a fail, we should win. Otherwise, healing items would be our best bet.

EDIT: Perhaps using your smash-run configuration would help a bit with the enemies. One question though, does the flinch-resistance skeleton have a weakness, I can see him being the most annoying.
The Stalfos is vulnerable from behind, so try to get past its shield to damage it.

When you destroy the last weak point, the fortress just blows up and you're left on the Final Destination platform with Master Core as per usual.

Got a video of the achievement? How many weak points do you have to destroy?

Last edited:

Folt

Smash Ace

Excellent! I'd be miffed if that wasn't the case.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Got a video of the achievement? How many weak points do you have to destroy?
There's only four of them, meaning they more or less showed the entire level in the press release pictures.

It's easily possible to get through in less then two minutes

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
There's only four of them, meaning they more or less showed the entire level in the press release pictures.

It's easily possible to get through in less then two minutes
So I guess the 3-minute time extension is only implemented because of the enemies, and to make it easier for you to finish off Master Core before it self-destructs.

Mariohuge

Smash Apprentice

I'd like to see this video too. Might be short, but it'd still be pretty cool to check out the whole layout of the fortress.

Suishomaru

Smash Rookie
You can see the whole Master Fortress in my video.
Just go on Youtube and write "watch?v=na9s2AvhUvo&feature=youtu.be&t=3m15s" for the Video
Sorry, I can't post it as a link, I've got not enough points.

I hope the german commentary is not to irritating though.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

SanicJan

Smash Cadet
If there's a swarm Clubberskull/Devil's car/Darknut/whatever it's going to be harder than i thought.
Swarm of a Orne on 9.0 intensity is not good at all as well. That's going to make things very hard.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Swarm of a Orne on 9.0 intensity is not good at all as well. That's going to make things very hard.
Fortunately, it appears that only four enemies are present on the Master Fortress phase, and the Orne is NOT one of them. Remember, the acid walls and acid water will instantly KO you if your damage goes over 100%.

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
Did you guys realized how interesting Master Fortress is for the Smash Lore? If you consider Master Cores Off Waves, and the Master Fortress, doesn't that basically confirm that the Swarm is a part of Tabuu? And entered Master Hand? ... I am to sleepy to make a cool theory out of it but someone might get the idea.
Funny enough I had similar thoughts yesterday about how maybe the master core (with the off waves and all) was a small essence of Tabuu that survived by implantation into Master Hand or something! Of course the waves take some build up since it's only a small remainder of tabuu and comparatively rather weak.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You'd have to be very gutsy to allow Master Core to self-destruct. If you remember how evil Tabuu was with his off-waves (especially on Intense difficulty Boss Battles), you'd think that you'd take out Master Core ASAP.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
The Plasma Wisps are honestly the only thing that seems very problematic about the fortress, moreso when considering that they seem to have increased the size of their attacks.

Last edited:

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
You'd have to be very gutsy to allow Master Core to self-destruct. If you remember how evil Tabuu was with his off-waves (especially on Intense difficulty Boss Battles), you'd think that you'd take out Master Core ASAP.
Oh I did. Funny enough I was ******* around a lot at one time because I thought it'd just sit there. As soon as it started to rise I panicked and knocked it out before I could find out what it was gonna do...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The Plasma Wisps are honestly the only thing that seems very problematic about the fortress, moreso when considering that they seem to have increased the size of their attacks.
They're probably not too much trouble for anyone with reflecting moves. The main issue is dealing with the enemies who like to attack head on. Since you are given 3 extra minutes, and there are only four weak points that you must destroy, you can basically take your time dealing with certain enemies, especially at the final weak point area.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Here's a Mr. Game & Watch run through of it:

It looks fun, but I don't think I'll go through it with more than 4 or 5 characters anytime soon (them being my mains).

Top Bottom