• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Masquerade Mafia / Mafia Wins!

Polishnapkin

Smash Cadet
Protateus Protateus

Never was it my intention to allow anyone unmasked. I thought to draw others into the conversation, but was met with resounding silence. As I said once before, I have found I must be more direct.

Morosemist

Smash Cadet
1. We're 4 days into day 1 and there's almost no discussion, this guarantees discussion
2. Mafia can't know if I'm really a vanilla townie or a PR whose just claiming to be one, therefore this discussion can't really narrow anything down
3. So this generates conversation without negatively impacting town and at best throws WIFOM at the mafia to deal with
You immediately dismantled the potential of your own discussion by changing your claim via reason 2, though.

Morosemist

Smash Cadet
The sound of my voice echoes in this empty hall and I do not wish to hold conversations with the reverberated shadows of my own words. Since, it seems, that no one is willing to put themselves forward as I had originally hoped, I fear I will have to be much more direct. I propose three premises. After I state them, I require every participant of this game to voice their answers. Should any cowering soul fail to provide a response, we strike the fool down where he stands.

Premise the First is simply that: any individual that holds silent their tongue will be forced underground to the silence of death.

Premise the Second is that it is no boon to town to reveal the faces behind the masks provided by our host. Our gain is slight compared to the advantages it affords the enemy and I would prefer to silence any discussion about it. It is an ungainly distraction best left to the foolish.

Premise the Third is a proposition: should this discussion not reach eight pages of comments, we lynch the man with the least to say.

I throw my support for all three of these premises. What say you, dancers of this fine masquerade?
This is fine by me, a little lashing of whips won't hurt anyone.

Corps phoenix

Smash Journeyman
Not sure why some people are purposely revealing who they are but it might be a trap it itself.

Protateus Protateus

Never was it my intention to allow anyone unmasked. I thought to draw others into the conversation, but was met with resounding silence. As I said once before, I have found I must be more direct.
Ok, but did you consider the drawback of potentially revealing, without saying, or lying about this blatantly who you are?

Corps phoenix

Smash Journeyman
If this is your show then I am the star. The payment for my performance thus far has been rather paltry. I must have your help this day, my friend. You say you are running but I have yet to see so much as a step. Where would you have us move at this stage?

And you. What have you to say to cover your absence? You are ever watching and never involved. I must have you step forward.

vote: Twitchybanana
Unsure at this juncture, me thinks m'lady we should be working on seeing what kind of play other have.

What I should be doing is stepping in and working on talking with others.

Planning on something tonight for this part m'lady.

Aquariusboy

Smash Cadet
Catching up now (Rajam Confirmed)

I will say this though, if the same person who used to mask themselves as Leviathan signed up via Leviathan, claiming themselves is a modkill, and I don't see one. Hence: it's whoever, and if they want to claim to be the same person as that slot: I don't care.

Aquariusboy

Smash Cadet
The sound of my voice echoes in this empty hall and I do not wish to hold conversations with the reverberated shadows of my own words. Since, it seems, that no one is willing to put themselves forward as I had originally hoped, I fear I will have to be much more direct. I propose three premises. After I state them, I require every participant of this game to voice their answers. Should any cowering soul fail to provide a response, we strike the fool down where he stands.

Premise the First is simply that: any individual that holds silent their tongue will be forced underground to the silence of death.

Premise the Second is that it is no boon to town to reveal the faces behind the masks provided by our host. Our gain is slight compared to the advantages it affords the enemy and I would prefer to silence any discussion about it. It is an ungainly distraction best left to the foolish.

Premise the Third is a proposition: should this discussion not reach eight pages of comments, we lynch the man with the least to say.

I throw my support for all three of these premises. What say you, dancers of this fine masquerade?

No thanks, I'll make my own decisions on when guessing an identity is appropriate for reads and when it isn't. Same for who is and isn't scummy. Pigeon-holing choices based on arbitrary rules set before the circumstances in which they would be used are never wise.

Also going to ask you de-thesaurus your posts some. I appreciate you're buffing it up to mask typing quirks or what have you, but it's really difficult to digest what you're trying to say when you take it this far. It doesn't matter much now, but if it keeps going when there's important things to say, I'm going to have to assume you have ulterior motive to hide.

Aquariusboy

Smash Cadet
Oh ,and I'm still gonna be V for Vendetta, mostly because it's a fun challenge to construct a snetance taht way. I'll translate it with a tldr at the end for posterity though
(Thanks, I was trembling to think that there'd be twice the task on my time)

Morosemist

Smash Cadet
It's simple.

Leviathan is not actually the identity of Leviathan. Leviathan is self-proclaimed to be an older player in DGames lore. However, he masked his 'true identity' when he joined Sleepover Mafia under the guise of the account 'Leviathan.' Technically, he is Leviathan, but since Leviathan isn't his 'true' identity or whatever, he can circumvent the rules of not being allowed to claim his own identity, because technically Leviathan is an alt account.

Lets stop discussing this, please.

Morosemist

Smash Cadet
Vote: BarmanUK

I don't like that he claimed to be VT under the pretenses of 'trying to start discussion', then claimed that he 'may not actually be VT and was trying to cause more wifom for scum.' He didn't accomplish much with this approach and ultimately fell flat on his face when asked why he did it. The attempt seems not so genuine since there was no follow-through.

Morosemist

Smash Cadet
Please explain how me mentioning point 2 "dismantled" the potential for discussion?
You literally claimed VT, then turned around and said "I might not actually be VT." Why claim that you might not be VT, and how is it relevant to bolstering discussion now?

If you had sat on the "I'm VT" claim and didn't provide any reason for doubt, there'd be more to talk about because we'd be dealing with a Glyph-esque anti-town situation. Instead, you backpedaled and left room for doubt that you actually might not be VT.

Morosemist

Smash Cadet
I'm really not ok with the way this game has been going, first I really doubt that's Leviathan and more then that who cares?

The anonymity looks like it's going to really hurt RVS so I'm going to roleclaim. I'm Vanilla townie
1. We're 4 days into day 1 and there's almost no discussion, this guarantees discussion
2. Mafia can't know if I'm really a vanilla townie or a PR whose just claiming to be one, therefore this discussion can't really narrow anything down
3. So this generates conversation without negatively impacting town and at best throws WIFOM at the mafia to deal with
Like, you claim VT to get us out of RVS, then say that Mafia can't know if you're really VT. You're implying here that you might actually not be VT and that your claim is suspect. There is literally no further point in discussing the prospects of whether or not you are VT at this juncture.

Aquariusboy

Smash Cadet
You literally claimed VT, then turned around and said "I might not actually be VT." Why claim that you might not be VT, and how is it relevant to bolstering discussion now?

If you had sat on the "I'm VT" claim and didn't provide any reason for doubt, there'd be more to talk about because we'd be dealing with a Glyph-esque anti-town situation. Instead, you backpedaled and left room for doubt that you actually might not be VT.
How is this different from any other time any player has claimed VT in all other mafia games?

Morosemist

Smash Cadet
How is this different from any other time any player has claimed VT in all other mafia games?
The difference is that he backpedaled out of his claim, and the initial intent for having made the claim in the first place is null.

BarmanUK

Smash Cadet
It looks like you're acting off the assumption that if I didn't voice point 2 no one would have realized it and the "claim would have continued", and somehow me saying point 2 is backtracking. It's not. It's acknowledgement and explaining how it doesn't help the mafia narrow down PRs

Aquariusboy

Smash Cadet
The difference is that he backpedaled out of his claim, and the initial intent for having made the claim in the first place is null.
I would agree with you, except he claimed to do it to generate discussion: which is currently working.

He also never "backed out" of his claim, he hasn't actually claimed to be anything else: merely stated that he could be anything regardless of what he says, so it's not necessarily hurting town. Everyone should have already known that.

Aquariusboy

Smash Cadet
Now, the original claim had very little chance for discussion to begin with: But here we are.

I don't see that as a bad thing to have attempted.

Maven89

Smash Master
sorry Soup i ****ed up, don't know what to do right now, I have the post saved so I'm going to post it again, just don't now when or how?

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
No big deal. I will save you the truancy and do this instead:

BarmanUK's mask has seem to come loose for no apparent reason after flailing about with his arms like a chicken with his head cut off! He is revealed to be Maven89.

Day continues as normal.

Last edited:

#HBC | ѕoup

Maven89 recieves two modvotes for his slipup. I will not be lenient on the next person who does so and I will modkill or replace your slot. Please do not test this.

Votecount 1 (With 9 alive it takes 5 to lynch!) -​

Polishnapkin [0]
Corps phoenix [0]
Twitchybanana [1] Polishnapkin
OrangeXhtml [1] Maven89
Aquariusboy [0]
Protateus [0]
Ranivorousbeast [0]
Maven89 [3] [L-2] MOD, MOD, Morosemist
Morosemist [0]

Not voting: Ranivorousbest, Protateus, Aquarisboy, OrangeXhtml, Corps phoenix.

Ranivorousbeast has been prodded. If they recieve another prod and do not post in the next 24 hours, I will seek replacement.

Last edited:

BarmanUK

Smash Cadet
Well that's disappointing

If you had sat on the "I'm VT" claim and didn't provide any reason for doubt, there'd be more to talk about because we'd be dealing with a Glyph-esque anti-town situation.
I didn't do anything glyph-like

was what my comment was going to be. Oh the irony

Morosemist

Smash Cadet
I would agree with you, except he claimed to do it to generate discussion: which is currently working.

He also never "backed out" of his claim, he hasn't actually claimed to be anything else: merely stated that he could be anything regardless of what he says, so it's not necessarily hurting town. Everyone should have already known that.
The initial intent though was to spur discussion as a result of him flat-claiming VT, which is anti-town at this stage of the game. His incentive wasn't to immediately backpedal, was it? What good does that do for his plan. Lay it on me.

Of course, now that we know this is Maven, I'm wondering if his backpedaling can be any bit correlated to his presumed 'backpedaling' in the last game he was in that I read about.

OrangeXhtml

Smash Apprentice
Simply he who has spoken the fewest number of times; you should find that number underneath the man's nametag on the right. That is enough for my purposes.
This seems like a bad idea... People could literally just parrot other people's posts and then all of a sudden they have a dozen posts. We should gage them based
It's not shade, it's
SWORDS OF REVEALING LIGHT
Nah.
Barman's own logic dictated that he should have pressured you similarly, yet he did not. This means he was treating you differently for some reason. What reason would he have to call out one slot but not another ? He couldn't have seen you two in a different light, unless of course he had some reason to.
He was literally joking about the false content (I think?). I can't see someone using the support of a suggestion on how the thread is being run seriously counting that as falsified content.

As a double plus point to you my tangerine tango partner, you're suspicion of me I find unjust, you see, since there was only a few people posting, your statement of "literally every slot so far" is a strawman of the actual truth,
It was RVS, I use whatever I can get my hands on to start conversation.

Except you have managed to expertly exclude the evolution of the enigma that is Leviathan. If you seek to egregiously extend your knowledge, I suggest you extend your reach to the man behind the ever billowing curtain
Please rephrase that statement so that it can be read by a lowly peasant such as myself.

Is it simply a number games for premise one ? Is a man, professing his innocence at a mere pittance of 10 posts speaking louder than a preening conniver, posturing as he will his puffed out chest, posting whatever pretend "content" he can.
Them's fighting words.

i'm an idiot and suck

Twitchybanana

Smash Cadet
Greetings. I am Leviathan. To those that remember me, I require no introduction, but doubtless there are those among you who have not heard my legend.

Gone are the days that titans walked upon this earth and the few that remain have lost their teeth. I have stirred from my long dormant state to remind all those that have forgotten the power of a titan in its full glory. It has been many moons since I last have entered one of your contests but I am not blind to the struggles of DGamesia's residents. I now sit in judgment of each of you. I intend to judge fairly and honestly, but know this: I have come to win.

OrangeXhtml OrangeXhtml You have already given me your true name. What would you have me do with it?

I look forward to the chance of playing against familiar faces. Although it has only been months, it has felt like eons since I have encountered them.
Bull****.

Premise the First: I agree, until we reach MyLo or LyLo. Lynching someone purely off of silence in either of those phases is something I'm not willing to consider, as it is far too risky of a move.

Premise the Second: Fair enough. I agree to cease conversation on the topic.

Premise the Third: Unless there is a significant slip, I am fine with this. My only concern with this rule is how we are gauging who has the least to say; there are some who post a lot yet say nothing, and others who say a lot with few words.[/QUOTE]

I'm still in the middle of page 2, but this looks like scum team play, or at least one scum in it.

1. Take thread control

2. Have high post count, made largely of meaningless discussion.

3. Get everyone to agree that we lynch based off of activity

4. Profit.

I dislike both of them, but Polishnapkin has incited unnecessary WIFOM and confusion. Vote: Polishnapkin

[
QUOTE="Protateus, post: 20495786, member: 336607"]It's not shade, it's
Barman's own logic dictated that he should have pressured you similarly, yet he did not. This means he was treating you differently for some reason. What reason would he have to call out one slot but not another ? He couldn't have seen you two in a different light, unless of course he had some reason to.

As a double plus point to you my tangerine tango partner, you're suspicion of me I find unjust, you see, since there was only a few people posting, your statement of "literally every slot so far" is a strawman of the actual truth, in which I made a simple joking statement towards AquariusBoy and Morosemist, then when you chimed in I voted you based on what is and remains RVS logic, the simple fact is you'vve done nothing to assuage my suspicions my orange o-migo, and for that, you keep my vote.[/QUOTE]

As for my response, the first one has too much grey area. Anyone can post, and "most silent" is the most wifomy term I've heard. Who gets to say who's the most silent ? I know certain players can talk for ages about nothing in perticular and have giant walls of content and say absolutely nothing, while other players may post out a tidbit here or there and have better content than some massive hyper poster.

The second one i do agree on, but at the same time I don't care enough to discuss it and Leviathans approach is hat on butt backwards because he was the one to start the discussion with orange and now he's deciding to shut down the interaction and all future discussion when he was the one talking about it in the first place.

THird premise again, way too much gray area. We lynch scummy people, if that's a eprson that hasn't posted then whatever, but i'm not going to go out of my way just to lycnh people who aren't posting and let scummy people continue to do scummy things
At this point in time (end of page 2) I've got a town read on Protateus. Orange and Polish are both full of crap and/or scum.

Twitchybanana

Smash Cadet
Also I'm here for questions or whatever for the next few hours, but after that I'm going to go get very drunk and probably not play drunk mafia.

Morosemist

Smash Cadet
I'm content with lynching Barman this day phase, unless there's someone deliberately not contributing much.

Ranivorousbeast Ranivorousbeast , there's been a decent amount of content. Have you read yet, or is that vote just a placeholder? It's not going to do us much now since we're transitioning out of RVS already.

Protateus

Smash Rookie
Protateus Protateus

but why thrown yourself out there then? Kinda makes the statement itself moot.
Alright, let's go somewhere else:

Corps phoenix Corps phoenix

I see you've decided to take J's avatar as your own. Why?
why is this important

I'm content with lynching Barman this day phase, unless there's someone deliberately not contributing much.

Ranivorousbeast Ranivorousbeast , there's been a decent amount of content. Have you read yet, or is that vote just a placeholder? It's not going to do us much now since we're transitioning out of RVS already.
why lynch barman

OrangeXhtml

Smash Apprentice
Sorry for the hostility, I just got to my bedroom at a relative's house after a 10 hour trip. Protateus Protateus here is your answer for why Morosemist is voting MavmanUK:
Vote: BarmanUK

I don't like that he claimed to be VT under the pretenses of 'trying to start discussion', then claimed that he 'may not actually be VT and was trying to cause more wifom for scum.' He didn't accomplish much with this approach and ultimately fell flat on his face when asked why he did it. The attempt seems not so genuine since there was no follow-through.

Morosemist

Smash Cadet
This game needs more action. It's slower than conjoined twins trying to run a marathon.

Check out my case on Barman and let's get this ball rolling.

Aquariusboy

Smash Cadet

You're content to lynch BarMaven already? That seems a bit fast for what he's done so far and how little the game has progressed.

Did the reveal change your opinion of the slot, or are you actually considering claiming VT that big of a deal that you're already done enough scumhunting?

why is this important
It's not, but it's a reason to speak to him, and at the time I was writing the post it seemed like all avenues had dried and we were going to sink back to RVS. The post was ninja'd with the vote on BarMaven though.

@MOD: Can we get some clarification on whether by 12:00AM the 27th you mean Midnight coming into the 27th, or end of day on the 27th? I'm going to have limited access during Thanksgiving, so that'd be extremely important to know.

Aquariusboy

Smash Cadet
(Eh I guess it's not actually that off base to start making that kind of statement looking at when deadline is, so nevermind that. Still, I don't agree with the direction)

The initial intent though was to spur discussion as a result of him flat-claiming VT, which is anti-town at this stage of the game. His incentive wasn't to immediately backpedal, was it? What good does that do for his plan. Lay it on me.

Of course, now that we know this is Maven, I'm wondering if his backpedaling can be any bit correlated to his presumed 'backpedaling' in the last game he was in that I read about.
If he was actually mod-verifying himself as VT then maybe I'd consider it anti-town on math. But just claiming it at a point where there could be some good to come of it isn't nearly the same, it's not even provable. The fact his idea was wrong and he was forced to backpedal doesn't have anything to do with his initial intent which is what's important here. Just becuase someone does something anti-town doesn't mean they did it because they're scum.

What good would it have been for scum to randomly claim VT at that point? I don't see the scum motivation for it beyond being a random outburst attempt for game-flow as advertised.

Bull****.

Premise the First: I agree, until we reach MyLo or LyLo. Lynching someone purely off of silence in either of those phases is something I'm not willing to consider, as it is far too risky of a move.

Premise the Second: Fair enough. I agree to cease conversation on the topic.

Premise the Third: Unless there is a significant slip, I am fine with this. My only concern with this rule is how we are gauging who has the least to say; there are some who post a lot yet say nothing, and others who say a lot with few words.
I'm still in the middle of page 2, but this looks like scum team play, or at least one scum in it.

1. Take thread control

2. Have high post count, made largely of meaningless discussion.

3. Get everyone to agree that we lynch based off of activity

4. Profit.

I dislike both of them, but Polishnapkin has incited unnecessary WIFOM and confusion. Vote: Polishnapkin

[
QUOTE="Protateus, post: 20495786, member: 336607"]It's not shade, it's

As a double plus point to you my tangerine tango partner, you're suspicion of me I find unjust, you see, since there was only a few people posting, your statement of "literally every slot so far" is a strawman of the actual truth, in which I made a simple joking statement towards AquariusBoy and Morosemist, then when you chimed in I voted you based on what is and remains RVS logic, the simple fact is you'vve done nothing to assuage my suspicions my orange o-migo, and for that, you keep my vote.[/QUOTE]

At this point in time (end of page 2) I've got a town read on Protateus. Orange and Polish are both full of crap and/or scum.[/QUOTE]
This though, seems like something worth exploring, because there actually is potential for scum intent in posturing as a power player and posing policy lynch criteria to thread beyond getting responses. The fact the slot has disappeared ever since doesn't make me feel better that that stated intent was true.

Vote: PolishNapkin

Ranivorousbeast Ranivorousbeast What do you think about BarMaven and PolishNapkin?

Aquariusboy

Smash Cadet
EBWOP: Looks like Twitchybanana's format fail carried over.

This is the part that actually mattered from me:

This though, seems like something worth exploring, because there actually is potential for scum intent in posturing as a power player and posing policy lynch criteria to thread beyond getting responses. The fact the slot has disappeared ever since doesn't make me feel better that that stated intent was true.

Vote: PolishNapkin

Ranivorousbeast Ranivorousbeast What do you think about BarMaven and PolishNapkin?

#HBC | ѕoup

Deadline is being extended to the 29th 11:59 PM EST due to thanksgiving weekend.

Top Bottom