• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Masahiro Sakurai will headline Computer Entertainment Developers Conference on Aug 20

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Here is a link with pretty much all the information we know.

Our very own Kirby and Smash Bros. series creator Masahiro Sakurai will be one of 3 keynote speakers, and the most noteworthy one. The other 2 keynote speakers are Yuichiro Anzai of the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science, and Yuusei Uesugi of Industrial Light & Magic (a subdivision of Lucasfilms; lol Namco + Star Wars = Soul Calibur IV).

Sakurai and co. will deliver a speech on August 20th. The topic of the speech was not mentioned, but note that the conference is totally industry focused. Plus, it seems a tad earlier for a Smash Bros. WiiU/3DS reveal trailer, especially since if they have one now, they probably would have already shown it at E3 2012 just a few weeks ago.

Here is an additional link to the CEDEC website with schedules.

If y'all find any addition information on it, please, by all means post it. ;)

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Im sure we can expect a lil bit of news for Smash 4 but I wouldnt hold my breathe. Sounds interesting either way.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Sounds interesting but the poor guy will probably be bombarded with smash 4 questions by fans and journalists. We'll wait

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Im sure we can expect a lil bit of news for Smash 4 but I wouldnt hold my breathe. Sounds interesting either way.
Sakurai may say something, but I think expecting a trailer (or news as big as the Namco Bandai is a/the primary developer news) within the next 3 months is a bit crazy.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I think that maybe a few concrete details of the games themselves could be revealed, such as some of the interconnectivity features, but that's it

No trailer until at least near the end of the year

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yeah, Sakurai giving us some details sounds like something that could happen. Like how he and Namco Bandai teamed up, or more about the general direction of the game.

Still, I wouldn't expect that (although it wouldn't shock me), or really much of anything about anything other than Sakurai talking about the status of the gaming industry/Nintendo.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
I think that maybe a few concrete details of the games themselves could be revealed, such as some of the interconnectivity features, but that's it

No trailer until at least near the end of the year
Im I the only that doesnt see a trailer or even a teaser until a couple months before E3?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Im I the only that doesnt see a trailer or even a teaser until a couple months before E3?
it's not out of possibility that Nintendo could make another Nintendo Direct showing a trailer for Smash Bros. 4 among other games.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Well, (and if I'm bumping, sorry) the event is about 2 days away now (technically a little less than that due to time zones). Reminder: there is a very good chance that Sakurai won't say anything Sm4sh related at this conference (but I won't be surprised if he gives us something tiny though).

Is this going to be a live stream or are we going to hear all about it in notes after it happens?

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Getting a googlenese translation of the description of Sakurai's panel comes out as something along the lines of:

Sakurai Masahiro
On the behalf of: [<><><>]
Creator of the Kirby series and the Super Smash Brothers series. [<><><>]
His latest creation being Kid Icarus Uprising for the Nintendo 3DS.
Currently involved with the development of two new games in the Smash series for the Wii U and 3DS
[Something about columns in Famitsu]
Googlenese: "And serve as the main judge of the "Designer's Game Awards" by the Japan Game Awards, as well as planning of the concert "PRESS START" music game."

It appears to just be a bio with no indication as to what the topic of his panel will be.

Ah, but there is this, right above his bio page

"Who makes the play the game, and why would it? Looking back at what has been made again entered the history of the game and industry speakers have walked together, about the "work", while describes the mechanism, such as create a fun。"

Something about it tells me he won't want to talk much about particulars at all for a while on the game, and his speech will focus much more on his take on game design as a whole, which might give us an indication where he might go with the games.

I'm not expecting much that we don't already know about his design mentality though.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Good find Sir John

It could be nothing. We are getting close to when Nintendo does their Fall Summit and they show a lot of games there. It may seem weird to show ti hear, but you never know. Brawl was shown in an unconventional way too.

We'll see I guess.

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
Even if they don't actually speak on the game, if they accept questions, the likelyness of a question on Smash bros. is actually very good & hopefully they won't deny the questions

SubparSmashBrother

Smash Ace
OH MY GOD DID NOBODY HEAR HIS SPEECH

ITS OVER NOW BUT HOLY ****

For those who don't know, someone asked him about ridley and sakurai said he was too big, then someone asked about possibility of reviving old franchises and he couldn't say.

Ferio_Kun

Smash Journeyman
^
He did manage to slip in mention of the new Smash Bros., though. As quoted at Famitsu.com, Sakurai mentioned the new title just once, saying "It's fun making new skills for new characters."
So you don't have to open the links.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I can only assume this means the roster is finalized now. Of course some poll could go out asking for the most popular character that people want, including him or her later in development.

:phone:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I can only assume this means the roster is finalized now. Of course some poll could go out asking for the most popular character that people want, including him or her later in development.

the game hasn't been in development long enough for the roster to be finalized

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
the game hasn't been in development long enough for the roster to be finalized
Brawls roster was finalized before almost anything took place in the games development.

If Sakurai is working on move sets, you can bet he has all the characters he wants in the game figured out. There has been plenty of time to finalize it.

Ferio_Kun

Smash Journeyman
Brawls roster was finalized before almost anything took place in the games development.

If Sakurai is working on move sets, you can bet he has all the characters he wants in the game figured out. There has been plenty of time to finalize it.
^ True statement. I think this is likely the case.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The game has been in development for a few months though lol
You have to finalize concepts at a certain point in development. In this game's case, the roster is one of the earliest things finalized.

Ferio_Kun

Smash Journeyman
I sure hope that's the case; Ridley has been long overdo as not only a playable character, but as a Metroid rep not named "Samus".
Right, and as I noted before:

He did manage to slip in mention of the new Smash Bros., though. As quoted at Famitsu.com, Sakurai mentioned the new title just once, saying "It's fun making new skills for new characters."
Nothing about Ridley there.

Unless someone can post some concrete evidence, I think he's still got a shot.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
The Ridley statement is absolutely false, pretty sure that poster was joking. If that was a true statement the forums would have exploded.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
Just like how Youtube gives you ads for ads.

The Ridley thing doens't make any sense,you don't go from:
"Ridley could work,but I feel he would be on the slow side"
to
"Too big"

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm not sure the list is finalised but I think they have a good idea of what characters they want. Things can change like Sonic in Brawl or if the rumours I heard were true Dr. Mario in Melee.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah, I agree that right now they probably have a preliminary list of programmed characters, with the "Forbidden 7" characters equivalent still being treated as regular roster inclusions. This time it might not be 7, but I think that not all characters that are going to be cut for whatever reason have been cut yet. I'm sure many cuts from a rough roster draft have already taken place, but I don't think the roster is currently in what its final form will look like. Plus, like Guybrush said, there might be another Sonic-type late inclusion, though really I can only picture that being someone like Megaman, if Sakurai hasn't already included him.

In any case, while I believe Sakurai has got most of his roster figured out, I think there will still be a few cuts from what he has now, as well as a possible (but unlikely) addition or two down the road. I'm interested in not only what the roster will be (duh :p) but what characters will end up as Forbidden 7 equivalents this time around.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

characters could still be dropped during development

its a long process and he might not be able to include every thing he wants

Top Bottom