• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Masahiro Sakurai talks all about game balance in the new Smash Bros. games"

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
I love how this subtly confirms Falcon.

Also, it's ironic that Falcon sort of gets confirmed in an article that's basically about making characters strong and fulfilling to play as: that's exactly what he took away from Falcon from Melee to Brawl.

This gives me even higher hopes for Sm4sh and Falcon in Sm4sh (whom, coincidentally and awesomely, seems to have been confirmed with this too) =D

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
his last line gives me hope will get this game soon, and anyway the game is mainly built for the ffa and he be stupid not to take that as priority. people forget the crowd this game is geared toward.

I honestly feel that Sakurai is making the proper approach to the game. There are many variables in character balance we don't look at like item attack speed, movement with items, dash attacks with items etc. as well having moves for characters that are optimal for all modes of play.

I remember in Melee when Sakurai stated that characters like Fox were optimized for 1 on 1 battles, but still had moves that function we'll for attacks that hit everyone like his rapid firing laser and Fox Illusion. While these moves may not be formidable against multiple opponents, they, in Sakurai's eyes allow him to function as intended. Illusion is a quick attack that hits multiple enemies that also helps Fox reach destinations quicker and perhaps to retrieve an item that will help him. He is also equipped with powerful and risky kill moves to help him function in a FFA or 2v2. If circumstances change the game into a 1v1 them Fox's advantages shine, however he is still light and combo able, so the Fox player can't make a mistake, which is simple since Fox is historically a suicidal character,

This is just an example, but I believe this is the gist of how Sakurai approaches balance with his characters. All the tools the character has goes into consideration when making the character playable. I think it's pretty smart.

Also, Captain Falcon is going to be a beast of a close combat fighter. I can feel it.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
Troll harder. I think it's hilarious that you think I want Sakurai to prioritize FFA over 1v1. That's ridiculous. But, then again, it's obvious you didn't read my previous post before this one before spouting off your mouth.
You've been round these parts long enough to know that Mr. Showtime isn't a troll. Also he did have an xD after his comment about you reading what you want to read. I think his point is simply that you are reading between the lines, which indeed you are. What you are saying makes sense given what little we have to go on, but ultimately we don't know. No need getting so touchy about it Jack.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
“Rather than directly weakening an attack’s advantageous parts, we’re putting effort into keeping them strong, while adding other weaknesses to them..."

Sakurai has a good thought here, but I don't see enough worrying over nothing around here, so allow me to stir some up. Wasn't this thinking exactly how Metaknight ended up so overpowered? I think the fact that he can't recover after basically any of his special attacks was meant to be the balancing factor, but we all know it didn't work. Sure other weaknesses is a great idea in theory, but it easily lends itself to OP possibilities when possibilities the creator never thought of arise. I feel like all the time in games I see something that was meant to balance some move or something, that doesn't because said negative ends up affecting an aspect of the game play that isn't nearly as important as the creator thought. Magic The Gathering had balance issues for a while due to this sort of thing.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
remember guys the wii u can handle balancing patches and I am sure with namco inv. we will get some if needed

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
Bowser keeps getting sexier and sexier.
Hopefully we see other characters like Yoshi and Ganondorf getting this kind of buff

MechaWave

Smash Champion
lol I just wish everyone would stop analazying whatever Sakurai says. I can't believe he still goes and talks to people with all the stress and paranoia he has on his shoulders from this, he really works himself to death just to please everyone.

I, for one, am very happy he is looking at both 1v1 matches and FFA matches. Smash was always balanced for FFA matches with items on, always. But now he has acknowledged 1v1 fights as well. I have faith in Sakurai, even if he makes a bad character, I know that wasn't his intention, really.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
So, not only is he balancing them in free-for-all matches, but also in one-on-one! Sweet!

I honestly never liked the idea of a tier list. If they're able to balance everybody well, it won't depend on the skills of the character, it's the skill of the player. Why do we need a list to decide which characters to use when all characters should be designed equally? But, at least Cap'n FALCAWN is basically returning... And he's the only unlockable from the Original 12 not "leaked"!

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Mr. Sakurai, please buff Mario. In anyway you deem fit. Though buffs for FLUDD would be ideal in my eyes.

NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552
God I'm getting more and more hyped for SSB4 with each passing day. Now we've got confirmation that Sakurai is taking a great approach in balancing characters by not only looking at all types of game play, but by preferring to buff than nerf. It's looking too good. Now we just need the Shiek and Jiggs we deserve.

Hopefully not too good to be true.

So, not only is he balancing them in free-for-all matches, but also in one-on-one! Sweet!

I honestly never liked the idea of a tier list. If they're able to balance everybody well, it won't depend on the skills of the character, it's the skill of the player. Why do we need a list to decide which characters to use when all characters should be designed equally? But, at least Cap'n FALCAWN is basically returning... And he's the only unlockable from the Original 12 not "leaked"!
Last I checked, tier lists are dependent on the skills of the player. They only work when it's two players of equal skill anyhow.

EDIT: On the topic of tier lists, they're really more of a guide on how well a character fares 1v1 against another, aren't they? They aren't really a ranking of strongest to weakest, but of who has the easiest time against others compared to whoever needs to work really hard.

Last edited:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

You shouldn't even be placing faith in tier lists to begin with. They always change and are the result of a changing metagame.

Renji64

Smash Lord
lol I just wish everyone would stop analazying whatever Sakurai says. I can't believe he still goes and talks to people with all the stress and paranoia he has on his shoulders from this, he really works himself to death just to please everyone.

I, for one, am very happy he is looking at both 1v1 matches and FFA matches. Smash was always balanced for FFA matches with items on, always. But now he has acknowledged 1v1 fights as well. I have faith in Sakurai, even if he makes a bad character, I know that wasn't his intention, really.
Can't help it after being dissapointed with brawl.

yessi

Smash Ace
NNID
Chonglers
How can characters be balanced for both FFA and 1v1s?

I can only see that if they make two modes: a FFA mode and a 1v1 mode.

If not expect an unbalanced game.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Really, as a whole, Sakurai did a pretty good job with both Melee and Brawl. About half the cast of Melee was viable, and it's closer to 2/3 of the cast of Brawl that's likewise. It's not that they couldn't be better, but for single version releases with a gameplay style not really similar at all to anything else of comparable quality on the market, they're actually pretty admirably balanced. I severely doubt anyone in this thread given the resources Sakurai has could do better; it's really a whole lot harder to get right than it probably seems to the average person with the hindsight of over half a decade of tournament play.

Of course, this interview hits up all the right notes. Sakurai seems aware of the metagames of previous games and seems to be balancing with them in mind (at least insofar as Bowser is concerned!). He strives for diverse and interesting gameplay, and apparently the game is making good progress. I would have liked to see him talk about what steps they are taking to avoid the more abusive tactics from succeeding this time (planking, ICs infinites, wall locks, etc.), but other than just not mentioning that, he is doing a good job of assuring that he has a good grasp on what the gameplay needs. I remain optimistic for the new title, and I certainly look forward to playing it ASAP.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
It seems Sakurai is balancing characters with the rest of his team. I thought he only does the balancing by himself?

NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Glad Bowser is being buffed, hope he does the same with Link and Zelda. I enjoyed reading this, thanks for posting it!

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I wonder how hard it was to balance Mega Man. I mean, he's the first character in the series to be so focuses so much on projectiles. It seems like Mega Man has a type of projectile for any situation.

XenoUltra

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nin10doUltra
Switch FC
6286-4808-6298
Smash 4 is going to be middle ground for Melee and Brawl. Plus no tripping. This will be better than Brawl. I'm happy Sakurai is working as hard as ever on this game. This will be great :cool:

Ulti-Bman

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0318-7834-6568
I, for one, believe that Sakurai can handle this. I can't wait to see the finished product that will prove the doubters wrong! Then again, this is only my personal opinion.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Tone down Broken Knight! That is ll, Sakurai!
And along with that don't have any other character reach his status. Toning down metaknight won't do much good if some other character takes up his tier position from Brawl. Hopefully this will not happen, but I am both interested but kind of skeptical to see how Sakurai's balancing will turn out.

That being said, It will be kind of interesting to see what kind of characters will actually be buffed or nerfed, and how much so. If Bowser actually became good in a Smash game for once, hat'd be kind of neat, although if he didn't I wouldn't be too upset since I never had much interest in playing him anyways. Personally, my inner Zelda fan would much rather see Link and Zelda be good for once in a Smash game, and there hopefully won;t be a terrible "hyrule tier" in Smash 4.

Bobopatch

Smash Rookie
Complete balance in a game is nearly impossible... I trust in Sakurai... but.. changing mechanics, adding new characters... OK, OK, Namco Bandai is helping, but I don't know if this is enough. I hope for a more balanced game, not a perfect one.

Meta Knight in Brawl is too OP... who will be the next OP character? xD

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I wonder how hard it was to balance Mega Man. I mean, he's the first character in the series to be so focuses so much on projectiles. It seems like Mega Man has a type of projectile for any situation.
The fact it took so long is for such a character is strange.
I read a IGN article of this and I thought you guys should see something.

Source:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/30/balancing-bowser-in-the-new-super-smash-bros
I only think this would apply to looking how to revise the Melee cast and was likely purely theoretical and nothing else.

Last edited:
Top Bottom