• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marvel or DC?

Pit 42

Smash Lord
In case you are uninspired, Marvel and DC are two comics companies that both create superheroes and recently, have made plenty of movies off their old heroes.

So, which do you prefer? You can discuss both company's comics, films, or other forms of media while comparing the two.

shadowstriker2005

Smash Journeyman
I'd have to say that Marvel is better than DC. I'd rather take human and well-developed characters and plotlines rather than the usual cliche stories you find in DC. Just look at the depth of Spiderman and some of the X-Men arcs, most notably the Phoenix arc.

In DC comics, all you see are heroes who seem to be nothing but heroes. They behave like automatons, while in Marvel, you at least see characters who have human personalities and struggles. This makes the Marvel characters easier to relate to, and is what draws people in. In order for any story to work, how a character develops and grows is the most crucial aspect. Without it the story suffers, and this is sometimes the case with DC comics.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
I've never read any comic books, but I'd have to say I like Batman as a character better than anything Marvel has. He teaches us that you can live your life anyway you want as long as you're a billionaire. What has Spiderman taught us? If you follow your calling, you'll end up divorced and alone, again and again?

Who cares if characters aren't emotional? If I wanted personality, I'd watch the Jerry Springer show. I'll take my comics with epicness, thank you very much.

How's this for character and emotion?

OF 'til I OD

More vibes, please.
3DS FC
3797-8618-3772
Switch FC
SW-4939-9118-0296
Easily Marvel. Sure, they have more weaknesses, but that's because it's more realistic. There is NO WAY anyone could be as Powerful as Superman. Marvel's characters much cooler, also. Spiderman, X-Men, The Punisher is freaking amazing, Daredevil, the list goes on.

Sadly, in a fight, DC would win, solely because of Superman. But in a Clash of Villains, Marvel would take it easily. Venom and Carnage for one, Green Goblin, Hob Goblin, Dr. Doom, etc.

<-------------------Can't forget

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Brainiac would kill them all. Batman>spiderman and punisher

Why is it important to you guys that the characters are realistic? (as realistic as superheroes go, anyway)

OF 'til I OD

More vibes, please.
3DS FC
3797-8618-3772
Switch FC
SW-4939-9118-0296
Superman just has near no weaknesses.

This is something I think would be cool. Have the Human Torch fly around Superman trillions of times, until Superman becomes overcharged and dies. lawlz

Revolutions

BRoomer
BRoomer
these fields are optional but will enhance your on
^Ever heard of Kryptonite, buddy? Also, just so we don't confused, the Flash is the most powerful DC superhero.

Overall, Marvel, easily.

Keep in mind, however, that Batman is the coolest superhero ever. The Rogue's Gallery is the coolest bunch of villains ever. What's nice about the Batman characters is that they're almost all insane (and yes, I'm including Bruce in this) but they all manage to be sympathetic characters. Seriously, watch the first episodes featuring Two-Face and Mr. Freeze from Batman: The Animated Series and tell me these are shallow characters.

I wish I could remember where, but I once read that superheroes are essentially America's mythology. Where the Greeks had the gods, we have the X-Men. It's a really interesting concept and I wish I could read more about it.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
This?

I've always liked the Batman character best because he was so direct with his duty. His character remained hidden and mysterious. Kinda like how he wanted his enemies to view him.

OF 'til I OD

More vibes, please.
3DS FC
3797-8618-3772
Switch FC
SW-4939-9118-0296
^Ever heard of Kryptonite, buddy? Also, just so we don't confused, the Flash is the most powerful DC superhero.
Had you read my post, you would have seen I said "NEAR NO WEAKNESSES"

Congratulations on assuming, and making a fool of yourself.

Revolutions

BRoomer
BRoomer
these fields are optional but will enhance your on
Had you read my post, you would have known you were sassing a mod. Repercussions! <3

This?

I've always liked the Batman character best because he was so direct with his duty. His character remained hidden and mysterious. Kinda like how he wanted his enemies to view him.
This isn't what it was, but it's pretty close! Thanks.

Gerudo Knight

Blademaster
BRoomer
Company loyalty is the stupidest mentality in comics; both company's have great, good, ok, and terrible titles. Anyone who claims that DC isn't human enough clearly does/has not read DC comics.

yorpy

Smash Journeyman
I prefer marvel over DC, because they have more comic characters that I like and they all have good storylines. Now this doesn't mean that DC sucks, they have classic titles like Superman, Batman, and the Flash. But they're just not as cool. Also did anyone know that Transformers were released as a marvel comic? They are probably the best comics EVA!

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
My two favorite comics are easily The Sandman and Fables. Both come from Vertigo, which are a part of the DC realm, so I guess I would have to go with DC on this one. And for any one who hasn't read either of these, go read them now. Fables is deservingly the best ongoing series right now and The Sandman, well, I shouldn't even have to say anything about it...

The Mad Hatter

Smash Ace
I challenge you to go pick up the Marvel Ultimates series (and Ultimates 2) and say you dont like it. I know that dosent prove Marvel is better, but they keep my attention and that makes it better to me.

BUT, the best (imo) comic award would have to go to Marvel. Marvel Zombies was too cool.

Topide

Smash Cadet
In that picture it looks like Batman is about to get it on with poor lil Robin o_0..
I like spawn.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
I challenge you to go pick up the Marvel Ultimates series (and Ultimates 2) and say you dont like it. I know that dosent prove Marvel is better, but they keep my attention and that makes it better to me.

BUT, the best (imo) comic award would have to go to Marvel. Marvel Zombies was too cool.
The thing is, I don't like the "super powered super heroes" in tights fighting their bad guy equivalents. The stories don't necessarily have to be completely realistic in our world, but they have to thoroughly involve the characters and plot in a completely believable way. They have to make you feel as if the character could really talk and hold a conversation with you. Most comics are just so far fetched in that regard that they just don't enthrall me.

But seriously, any one who doesn't read Fables or has never looked at The Sandman needs too; they are the best of the best...

EEvisu

Smash Lord
DC wins it for me, Batman and Green Latern(John Smith) are the 2 best heroes I've seen in comics and I prefer the story lines in them better, now in terms of movies Marvel owns DC but I think comics speak the most for both brands and I am a die hard DC fan lol.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Virgilijus, I've read the Sandman, and I have conflicting feelings about it. It's nice to read a comic that branches out beyond the cliched hero archetype, and I loved how the story was about delving into the traits/flaws of a gradually maturing character, but it didn't really work for me.

Yeah, the style of storytelling (revealing Morpheus through seemingly disparate short stories) was pretty compelling, except their overall quality was inconsistent throughout. Some stories were darn good, others were just awful. I respect Gaiman's work--especially the Sandman--it's just that I don't like it as much as I thought I would have.

Though Gaiman's Sandman: The Dream Hunters is absolutely fantastic.

And I have to go with Marvel. I grew up with them, so characters like Spidey, Ghost Rider, X-men are all preferable to what DC has to offer. Though, to be honest, I've recently started reading more DC, and Batman is effin' incredible.

Batman--and his anti-hero appeal--is just amazing. Just the concept of a character who has condemned himself to do the very things his enemies do. . .and to lose himself in the monster of his own making. . .I think the only other character/archetype that I find as compelling as Batman is Roland Deschain, from The Gunslinger. But that's a book, so it doesn't count, I guess.

The Dark Knight Returns is quite possibly the most definitive Batman work ever created. I love that graphic novel.

Pit 42

Smash Lord
I'm excited for the next Batman film, entitled "The Dark Knight", coming in 2008. It's a sequel to "Batman Begins".

Good thing that WB is re-launching the Batman franchise to compete with Marvel's ever-growing number of superhero flicks.

Top Bottom