• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth's overB

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
Hey Marth community :)

I picked up Marth a few months ago as a secondary (at first because I found his combos very visually appealing, and the rythim to his game is very graceful and smooth, unlike my spelling). I learned his shffl timing and WDing, got used to his long, sweeping dashdance game and got all his technical stuff down.

Recently, I heard about using the first attack of his overB as a combo-starter. I tried doing it a few times, and found that it was nowhere NEAR as useful as his utilt or fair at combo starting, against any weight of character (from Fox to the 'puff). It lacks a sweetspot (and thus damage) and has more lag than stun.

Am I doing something wrong? Is this move a very situational combo starter? It dosn't have a sweetspot, so it can't be that. What's going on?

cowboyardee

Smash Journeyman
I mostly only use this to combo into a fsmash at high %. It doesn't work on everyone, but it really extends your effective % range at comboing into a fsmash against marth, sheik, mario, doc, pika, ICs, and probably a few others I'm not positive on. It's one of the better ways to get kos at high % without putting your *** on the line. Your opp's % range for this varies some with his weight, but it's always over 100.

Other than that, it doesn't really do much. It can start a combo at lower %s if your opponent is already in the air, but a normal fair usually works better in those circumstances. Sometimes I'll use it defensively (like to outprioritize an aerial when I'm recovering high) and combo from there. Otherwise, I mostly just use it for a lead in into fsmash at high %.

Ipwn

Smash Apprentice
Sometimes on FF you can SideB -> UpB -> UpB
They pop up in the air to combo em with aerials..

Btw you made me lolled @ the part where you said:

"and the rythim to his game is very graceful and smooth, unlike my spelling"

:p

Falco1234

Smash Cadet
Hey Marth community :)

I picked up Marth a few months ago as a secondary (at first because I found his combos very visually appealing, and the rythim to his game is very graceful and smooth, unlike my spelling). I learned his shffl timing and WDing, got used to his long, sweeping dashdance game and got all his technical stuff down.

Recently, I heard about using the first attack of his overB as a combo-starter. I tried doing it a few times, and found that it was nowhere NEAR as useful as his utilt or fair at combo starting, against any weight of character (from Fox to the 'puff). It lacks a sweetspot (and thus damage) and has more lag than stun.

Am I doing something wrong? Is this move a very situational combo starter? It dosn't have a sweetspot, so it can't be that. What's going on?

its not that good really i dont use it just as a recovery

sephirothken

ken combo
BRoomer
let me give all the marth players or anyone who wants to use marth some special and important advice on marths Foward B since im such a nice guy.

1st of all you can use it against your Foe at any %, it works as a stun only of they do not crouch cancel.

However, 2ndly if they do crouch cancel you have to work on your timing with it's speed, once you get the 3rd slash out, it's as strong as a foward tilt but does not have to hit your opponent at the tip to be strong.

3rdly, on the 2nd foward tilt always do a nuetral B, never do or hold up, because if you do then you cannot link it into the 3rd hit

4th, for the 3rd hit, if you want to combo hold up and up again or, just up then pause and air jump F-air

furthermore, if you want to send them flying if they are at high percents use the foward or nuetral B,

use down if you notice the person is crouch canceling or if they are sheilding, because this is a very powerful move which gives knock back therefore if you are at the right space you can avoid their sheild grab

now for the 4th hit, it's very simple....

if they are above, use Up B/A

if they are where you cannot reach then use foward or nuetral B/A

and if they are sheilding or on the ground/crouch canceling ur best bet is down since it is numerous attacks but you can still get sheild grabbed, however sometimes they don't notice how many attacks marth does for the final down so it throws them off...

sword dancing on air-

ehhhh? another discussion :)

metroid1117

Smash Master
Probably one of the best things about using the side+B (also known as Dancing Blade) in combat except for recovery is to use it as an alternative for Marth's regular jab. Interestingly, on floaty characters you can follow up a single Dancing Blade with a sweetspoted Dolphin Slash (up+B, not reversed).

Also, you can actually perform an "Alternate Ken Combo" on Marth with this attack; it doesn't register as a true combo in Training Mode (hence the quotes), but it's pretty consistent if you space it properly. For visual proof, watch 1:47 of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgKxKrHRECA.

By the way, I'm proud to announce that I think I'm the first one to get this being done on video, and what's even better, it's used as a reverse edgeguard (if you consider it that) :chuckle:

FrostByte

Smash Lord
The first hit of an aerial dancing blade (the "floaty" one) also has less lag than stun on the opponent, so you can link it up with a Fair or an Uair and string into a greater combo with it.

Shotogon

Smash Cadet
Ive noticed that a Marth player tried using the down 3rd as a spike while on the edge. Since I'm not to good at timing and accuracy with grabbing the edge with his up b, I sometimes get hit. This kinda annoys me. Scratch that, this really annoys me. I'm sure it sound noobish, but it works against me. Any ideas? Also Id like to ask about if using the random combo is a good way to edge guard. My friend is usually a link player not Marth. So he really isn't all that great.

MasterMatt

Smash Journeyman
it sound noobish because you are a nOOb! sorry, i really wanted to say that... but seriously, you should just keep practicing with the spike move...

shadydentist

Smash Lord
The spike move is impractical as an edgeguard. dtilt or fsmash is much better.

To avoid it? Well... its hitbox is pretty small, so you can sweetspot okay. Or if you get hit, meteor cancel.

Top Bottom