• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth's of SWF: Teach me to DI your throws!

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
I'm more a PM player, but I believe this applies to both PM and Melee. I come from a Brawl background, learning PM. I am primarily a PM Diddy main, but secondary Marth.

My Melee Marth isn't great- I'm actually significantly better at PM Marth because of the more lax input requirements- but I understand the character.

Funny thing about that, though...learning how to chase throws as Marth doesn't teach you how to avoid them against Marth as well as you'd expect.

In my recent (PM) set with Chip, he repeatedly hits me with dthrow > fsmash and fthrow > fsmash (taking several stocks with a throw > fsmash on the ledge at 40%) because I DI wrong (I thought DIing away would get me too far away to get fsmashed...apparently not).

Can you guys help me understand how to DI Marth's throws?

Thank you all tremendously.

Last edited:

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
You DI both throws down and away to tech or get out of the way if you're at the ledge.

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
As a Wario main, I can confirm DI down and away does not work.
How floaty is Wario? For the floatier ones, you DI up so you can DJ away. As far as I've seen that works.
Also yesterday I played a Wario and he did just fine DIing my throws.

Last edited:

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
How floaty is Wario? For the floatier ones, you DI up so you can DJ away. As far as I've seen that works.
Also yesterday I played a Wario and he did just fine DIing my throws.
Did he di up to dj away or did he di down+away? If I di down and away, I eat pivot fsmashes.

KABO0S

Smash Cadet
Yeah, wouldn't DI directly away from Marth after fthrow. You're just setting yourself up for tipper range. Maybe down if you're on the edge of the stage? Or up and away if you're around the middle?

D

Deleted member

1. don't play wario vs marth, it's horrible for wario, maybe his worst match.
2. down on fthrow/bthrow/dthrow is generally fine for most characters, especially floaty ones
3. don't pick a character that loses to marth's upthrow. guess how those MUs go.

Top Bottom