• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth's approach - indicative of successful combos?

Melons

Smash Rookie
It seems to me that one glaring weakness that Marth deals with is a lack of a 'solid' approaching move to put enough hit stun on a standing opponent during early percents. Does anybody have any ideas as to how Marth could aggressively find his way into combos throughout the early percentages? - outside of his grab

Gいたん

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GlitchG
3DS FC
3797-5929-4063
A lot of the time Marth isnt wanting to approach. Grabbing and tech chasing with regrabs is mainly what I do at low percentages because everything can get crouch canceled up until like 30 percent +. Down tilt is amazing tho

You can do dash dance > Down tilts to open them up to get the grabs which lead into your combos. If you run an extra step or more past your initial dash dance animation you can crouch out of it, making you able to do a down tilt. Try it by running a good distance until you see marth start moving his legs and then crouch, d tilt. Practice what lengths you can do this at. If you space it correctly tipper dtilts lead into grabs at low percents which can lead into lots of things
If you re under a platform when you get the grab, I usually Up throw, wait for their tech, react with either an up tilt or a jump back up air, and chain it together with more up airs or up tilts until they're too high up to do that anymore, then i jump and try for tipper fairs and nairs to send them off stage and etc. Can even read the tech from under the platform with a tipper fsmash through the platform on all stages but Dreamland if spaced correctly.
if you aren't, i usually just tech read them until about 35-40 with regrabs until I've either forced them under a platform so that i can up throw or until ive forced them near the ledge to try to throw them off and gimp.

You can also set up defensive walls with your down tilt that could result in landing a hit that leads into a good combo. Practice doing dtilt > short hop double fair / Dtilt >short hop fair, up air. Tipper fair has lots of hitstun for comboing.

For example, I'm controlling the space and I'm trying to push a Sheik into the corner with dash dancing and grabs in neutral. I'm doing this by baiting out her attacks, getting grabs and throwing her in directions that will lead her to the edge where i can either control her offstage or platform tech read combo her. I can throw in the dash dance > Down tilts in there and do short hop double tipper fairs directly after them with the correct timing and rhythm. You can bait out shield grabs with these because if you space the down tilt correctly they won't be able to shield grab you, and that's when that short hop tipper fair will land. Another way to punished that baited shield grab is to dtilt, dash away and dash back in and if they shield grabbed you should be able to get a free grab. If one of those tipper fairs hits and isn't shielded tho, the other one can hit too with proper spacing, and you've possibly got a combo started. I find that If you do land that first short hop tipper fair and its at low/mid percents, Its better to do an up air in place of the second fair (but only lower percents against floaties) , because it pops your opponent up for more tipper fairs/ up airs into a potential ken combo, Tipper combo, edge guard situation, platform tech read situation, whatever.

Dtilt is kool use it

Wafflesaurus

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wafflesaurus
Your dash dance is your biggest weapon
Make them approach, take away their space, dtilt them, use your shield.
Dtilt doesn't necessarily lead into a combo but it is a great spacing tool (kinda like Falco's lasers). Watch how they react after a dtilt and react accordingly (they might spot dodge, throw out an attack, dash dance away etc)

Gいたん

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GlitchG
3DS FC
3797-5929-4063
Your dash dance is your biggest weapon
Make them approach, take away their space, dtilt them, use your shield.
Dtilt doesn't necessarily lead into a combo but it is a great spacing tool (kinda like Falco's lasers). Watch how they react after a dtilt and react accordingly (they might spot dodge, throw out an attack, dash dance away etc)
This too. Testing how a player reacts is a good way to learn or craft an idea on what to do to beat what they're doing to beat your option.
He asked about approaches, so I said d tilt leads into grabs which lead into combos, it def doesn't combo by itself
Most of the time the hitstun from a landed tipper dilt leads into a grab at those lower percents, if not it just creates space like this dudes saying.
He's also right, dash dancing is your best bud considering approaching isn't always the best option. Baiting whiffed attacks with dash dance leads into grabs, which can lead into any of the situations I mentioned above if you play it that way. you don't always want to do these down tilts but keep them in mind , and know your uses of them

Last edited:

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
I like uthrow to counter occasionally, they're trying to beat you to getting a move off, and you just let them have it

Top Bottom