• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth!

L.O.P.L.

Smash Cadet
What would be the best character to combat Marth in your opinion. Why is that character good against Marth. Do you think Marth is unfair? Do you hold any Grudge against him? Do you particularly hate or like facing this match-up?

In my opinion I think the best character would have to be fast to combat Marth. I like to go with Shiek for various reasons, he is just as cheap if not more. I think Marth is a little broken but so are all the top and high tiers. I do not hold a grudge against him but I hate facing this match-up.

What certain techniques do you like using on Marth? Setups? Ideas? Mindgames?

L.O.P.L.

Smash Cadet
lol i like using falco and just laser spamming
That is fun too. ^.^ But Falco can be edge guarded well and chain grabbed to death. And if he takes you to any stage with platforms you won't have as much chance to laser spam, especially on the smaller once such as Battlefield. =/

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Almost all of Sheik's tilts practically auto combo to fair or upair on Marth. Her needles force you to be the approacher most of the time as well. Not to mention that edgegaurding is one of the bigger advantages Marth normally has, and in this matchup Sheik's edgeguarding is much better than Marth's edgeguarding is.

MVPaintballer

the lil d that could
Sheik also has an unusually large grab range >_>

I personally think its whenever Marth has to approach and attack and he has to in a hurry (ie. Falco, Sheik)

CHAOSDRAGON88

Smash Ace
Sheik's the greatest counter because she has the fastest attack speed which can stop dashing A attacks. and she is a great item reciprocator.

CHAOSDRAGON88

Smash Ace
Sheik is not all that fast contrary to popular belief and it is captain falcon that is the fastest runner. marth is a great blend of running speed and attack speed but the starfox characters take the cake.

PwnYouBoomerangStyle

Smash Cadet
Marth is SO broken. Not to mention stupidly placed. Why would they have a broken newb such as Marth in the game, then put Roy in too? Roy is atleast legit, but he's just a crappy version of Marth. Anyways, my fav counter is Fox. Why? Speed/lazer. Basically all ya need to control the fight. Just gotta work them mindgames.

Super Mari0

Smash Journeyman
YES I DO HOLD A GRUDGE AGAINST THaT UNFAIR MATCH UP!!!!

there that says it all dont it? :chuckle: and yeah i AM a Mario main so understand me^^ and Falco ist good to go

giantimi

Smash Cadet
This might sound stupid, but my friend is convinced that sheik is the fastest and best character in the game. He said he proved this by doing a character by character comparison of each person's dash and concluded that sheik is the fastest.

How do I prove to him that sheik IS not the fastest/best (how can you even say she's the best ) player in the game?

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Personally, I'd rather fight a Marth than anyone else in the top 5 on the tier list. I don't think he's any more "unfair" than anyone else in the top 5. And I play Zelda. Not exactly a Marth counterpick, but whatever...

To answer your question, if you want to counterpick Marth, play Sheik. If you want to know what stage to ban against Marth, most characters should ban Yoshi's Story.

EDIT: Can I money match your friend? :p

jmic

Smash Ace
I used to hate this matchup versus my Captain Falcon, but it really forced me to get better in many many aspects. My friend who mains Marth used to be amazingly better than I was, and then I put a bunch of time practicing and studying pro's videos and stuff.

Then it was me beating him all the time, which made him rethink his game more, making HIM better again.

It's a vicious cycle that's improving us both. Right now we stand about even.

But seriously, Falcon vs. Marth is either extremely frustrating or extremely funny, depending on how you look at it. Falcon can easily combo and juggle Marth, while Marth can techchase, and edgeguard Falcon.

I remember Ken saying during commentating Azen vs. Isai that Falcon vs. Marth is slightly in Falcon's favor, but not by very much.

Oh and yeah, about Sheik being fast. Her dash attack is amazingly fast, but her actually running is frustratingly slow for me. What really makes her fast is her all her tilts aerials which come out all virtually instantaneously, allowing the stringing of combos rediculously easy.

giantimi

Smash Cadet
What exactly is a money match ? ( I'm new here ) Also, I don't think you could money match my friend........considering the fact that we to college in the middle in the nowhere ( Ithaca, NY ).

EDIT: Forget that I asked what a money match is! That admittedly is a stupid question.

Flarefox

Smash Ace
SHEIKKKKK

Her close game (jabs & grabs mostly) give Marth major problems. Marth's sword is weak up close, and Sheik's grab game always sets up for a combo at low % and a fair, upair, or upsmash at high %. Marth will go for nice fair combos, as these work well on sheik. Also, since sheik is weak from below, he'll upthrow her and hope for repeated uptilts after she loses her jump. This game is not near as broken as shiek's grabgame though, imo. Marth has lots of trouble KO'ing shiek (and many other characters for that matter) when they get to a really high %. His swipes and throws will send them too far away to finish it off, and he'll often have to hope for a forward->b setup or a tipper. All sheik needs is a grab at any %. :D

All_Characters

Smash Apprentice
According to 100% of my sources, sheik is the only character that has an adv. on marth, and its a relatively large one. Fox I believe is dead-even with him, although in my experience he does better. Although Sheik is 100% the best choice.

IShotLazer

Smash Journeyman
Blah Blah Blah character it matters on the skill of the player blah blah blah. We're not really talking about that, thats a tangent. We are talking about the best character in the game (if I'm pichu and I have the most "skill" in the world I'm still going to lose to a very good marth, fox, sheik, falco or peach) to fight a marth plain and simple.

To answer one question at least... well fighting marth is kind of.... almost ackward really.
I used to completly hate marth, and I didn't see a way past FSmash as long as the person was at least sort of compentent of what they were doing.
Now, fighting marth isn't that much of a problem, I kind of toy with him. (I hate fighting ice climbers HATE IT, I like fighting CF)
But anyway onto the real question. Captain falcon is a on par character to fight marth with.
Given both people are about equal skill, they'll end up winning about half the matches depending on the stages yadayada.
Fox also kind of seems to have a similarity with CF on this one. (to me).
Sheik, though I hate to say it fights marth VERY well. She IS fast (actual attack speed is more important than running speed [thought it's important to] and sheik has it). Marth also seems to fall at a very nice pace for a sheik to punish very nicely as well, and sheiks attacks are just fast enough to get in that little bit of edge.
Samus is also another good counter that I see in fighting marth, though alot of it will be spam (T_T) with that fight.

Micheloxx

Smash Ace
for me is pretty hard to play him tough, i main luigi and well, it gets pretty hard for me to beat, i can use fox and IC, and with both of them, gets hard fo me, but i use fox when i face him. first luig, if i lst, fox XD

orintemple

Smash Lord
As a Marth main myself I have a lot of trouble with people that have good projectiles. I am pretty good against the space animals but characters like Samus and Link are annoying as hell with their range spam. It is very hard to get inside if the opponent is a competent user of the projectiles so maybe you should think about that. It does depend some on your opponents play style though. If they are very aggressive, which a lot of Marth players tend to be, then you might even be able to get away with a defensive game full of shield grabs if you can get in close enough. The shield grab is another reason why Link can be such a pain, because he can grab you even if you hit his shield at max sword reach. Samus' grab isn't quite as good though. Link might be a good choice to try although he is a bit slow so you will have to really try to keep up with Marth.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Samus is a good counter, **** Marth and his broken range. Projectile spam FTW
Marth is SO broken. Not to mention stupidly placed. Why would they have a broken newb such as Marth in the game, then put Roy in too? Roy is atleast legit, but he's just a crappy version of Marth. Anyways, my fav counter is Fox. Why? Speed/lazer. Basically all ya need to control the fight. Just gotta work them mindgames.
Sheik is not all that fast contrary to popular belief and it is captain falcon that is the fastest runner. marth is a great blend of running speed and attack speed but the starfox characters take the cake.
Sheik's the greatest counter because she has the fastest attack speed which can stop dashing A attacks. and she is a great item reciprocator.
This all hurt my head.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
its interesting that you mention you and your friend go to college in Ithaca. I know that Cornell has some decent smashers.

When it comes down to it, none of the high tier characters really have an overwhelming advantage against each other. Shiek, at a high level, is probably the best. Samus is not a good marth counter.

Top Bottom