• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth v. Wario (and bad habits?)

Keys1281

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAN0pezlhnw&feature=BFa&list=PLF000EA413226E656&lf=plcp

I know Reflex is amazing and all, but usually I do much better against him than this. He was obviously reading some of my habits, but I feel like my Marth has actually been getting much worse recently D: Can anyone help me get my main back to not getting 3-stocked? The only advice he gave me was to move backwards more often, which I'm sure was noticeable.

Matchup-specific critique and moreso, how can I generally improve?

MasterOfGalaxies

Smash Apprentice
Reflex was right to suggest moving backwards more. Retreating aerials beats so much of what Wario can do, and retreating pivot grabs are also really strong. Then once you've shown off your retreating defenses, he's way more likely to overcommit to chase you when he does something, in which case a shield grab or jab screws him over. Pretty much, just playing more defensively would've helped. Wario punishes so well that all it takes is a fair that whiffs and you eat tons of damage. Speaking of fair, you dashed in to rising fair a whole lot too. It would've helped to SHFF aerials more, both as a safe retreating option, and for attacking, because you can easily jab/dtilt right afterwards.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
The above and

Watch your move choice

Why are you fsmashing at 150% when he's at 19?

FF/retreat your aerials. Rising aerials are mediocre vs wario at best. Use more empty short hops to bait them into a grab. Know when grab release won't work(like near the end you could of got a fthrow which would of been much better). Watch the farts time.

Work on your ground and grab game in general.

Keys1281

Smash Journeyman
Thanks to the both of you! I never realized how bad I am with not retreating or especially fastfalling. I wasn't paying attention to the timer which is dumb too...I usually don't throw out laggy moves when I'm at high percents so I think that was mostly nerves. And I'll do my best to improve my ground game as well, which is really lackluster....and spacing :/

Again, thanks a lot! If anyone else has any advice I'd greatly appreciate it.

:phone:

Rubio24

Smash Rookie
i think from working alot on marth is that these two have alot of good advice becase against wario he will punish you and his body is so small that it makes it hard for him to aproach someone especially marth with his sword so like they work saying fsmashing to dtilt or just going in and then back out is your best option in this match up but you can do the same against characters like dedede and snake as well.

Top Bottom