• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Tech / Best Move Ever?

DariusM27

Smash Ace
The input is easy to understand -
1. Short hop
2. Fastfall
3. Instantly nair (nair1)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Oefyd6XThNY
Watch this video to see it used. I uploaded as a highlight reel for simplicity.

The "problem" with this move is only that, in order to actually do the move, your have to input it all in the shortest window. You probably only have a 1 or 2 frame window to input the move correctly.

That basically means you have to be lightning fast. Your input is the same speed as Marth swinging his nair.

I knew about this move several months ago, but I didn't think it was practical, because of it's difficulty. I spent a lot of time working on it, since I do other things with marth that require frame perfect inputs, like instant pivot fsmashes. Anyway, going on with the reason for this move...

Another challenge to this move is, it doesn't attack as quickly as fair, so you are vulnerable for a brief moment right when you jump and before the fastfall, but the effect is exactly like Marth's shorthop, fair, then fastfall, so it's all a matter of reads, spacing, and timing. Again, it's a pretty fast move, so that helps a ton.

The "pros" to this move are very many.

-I can do them at least the same speed as normal sh nair, though it seems faster, so the move can be spammed quickly as a spacing tool. It took some work to get the timing, but once you get it, it sticks with you.

-It's the only form or nair1 that hits low enough to hit Olimar, Kirby, and Pikachu, even when they are crouching. (I tested, still sometimes misses crouching Kirby)

-The range is more than enough to be viable. As you saw in the video, I tipped Mario with nair, and then used dash cancel fsmash to land the tipper, so it's almost ideal spacing.

Edit: I just tested, it's range is only a small fraction less than fastfalling fair. Almost inperceptible.
(sh - fair - instant fastfall)

-It can be used as an approach pressuring option, or used without approaching, or used while retreating, depending on if you jump towards or away from the opponent. (although standard retreating nair is really good and obviously easier, the fastfall nair1 could punish a roll very effectively as a retreating option)

-Best of all, it reliably strings or true combos into all of Marth's killmoves - Fsmash, Usmash, DS (Upb) - and also strings into dancing blade, ftilt, grab, jab, ect. Basically if you land this move, you have a huge advantage.

-Random fact also, alot of people don't realize this, but while Nair1 has no hitboxes below the sword, it does have hitboxes well above the sword, so you will find it landing on any enemy closing in from above, if they get too close. A great walling move. Good to know for the second variant, which I'm about to talk about...

That input is the fastest way to land this move.

All that said, there is a much easier variant of this move.

Input -
1. Short Hop (wait till near top of jump, then...)
2. Nair1
3. instantly fastfall.

The problem with this variant is, if you do the move as fast as possible, the move hits so high that it even swings above Bowser's head, so the only way to get the nair1 to land is by waiting several precious frames after marth could have already fastfell.

Another way I land nair1, as you saw in the video, is right after an airdodge, so keep that in mind.

This move is situational, just as all of Marth's moves. A fast threat your opponent probably won't see coming. If you are serious about maining Marth, then push him to his absolute limit! Work hard to master this move and see if you don't freaking fall in love with it once you do. I bet you will.

Last edited:

Newbarktown

Smash Cadet
The major problem with this move is the commitment. You're going to take massive punishes if you throw this out on shield, which most competent players should be doing a lot of against Marth.

Rebel13

Banned via Warnings
Newbarktown Newbarktown I actually like the use of this BECAUSE of its safety. Some guy on anther's actually spammed this on my shield (I was playing Ike) and i could not punish it with anything if he spaced it right. It also confirms into grabs at lower percents, so he was getting some pretty good damage. I don't know if I'd call this "tech" but it's certainly a pretty good option.

DariusM27

Smash Ace
The major problem with this move is the commitment. You're going to take massive punishes if you throw this out on shield, which most competent players should be doing a lot of against Marth.
As an approach option, it comes out reasonably fast as an attack, but it also shines as a sort of "option select". As you are approaching the opponent, (Which you should be spacing as safely as possible), if you sense your opponent might shield punish, instead of fastfalling into nair, you could fastfall into basically anything else.

If the opponent is waiting for the grab, you could grab them first, or fall and get away to reset neutral. Making that call is part of the mix up possibilities, so if you get punished using this move, that's just because of making the wrong read.

The move is basically just as fast as spamming marth's nair, except you are cutting the move in half by fastfalling into only the first hit of the move. Nair is Marth's least laggy air attack.

Also, I've been using Jab right after, and for some reason the Jab seems to be coming out laglessly, like a lag cancel move. Not sure yet, just saying, this move is under explored.

Random side note, "frame perfect" fastfall to instant uair seems to be one of the better ways to setup uair on the ground, as far as getting the hitboxes where they need to be. This is another move that requires frame perfect fast input, but it's good. Like, really really good. Definitely worth perfecting, so many follow ups.

Last edited:

Illuminado

Smash Cadet
So I'm not diminishing your find, but you should already know this. It's why nair has multiple hits and people talk about them. Often. As far as I'm concerned and in terms of my play, this is Marth bread and butter. You mix this with ff uairs in the same time window and sh db 1 to set both up or air dodges into them. The reason you don't see "pro" marths using it as an option is, to be frank, they're not that good at Marth. You're probably better. By this point, there isn't anyone you can trust better than your own judgement for learning Marth in smash 4.

DariusM27

Smash Ace
I don't think that it's that the other Marth users aren't good with Marth.

In Marth's bag of tricks, this move is obscure and very difficult to perfect and utilize. Also, Marth is plainly a mid tier at best, he gets eaten alive, even if he's played essentially perfectly.

If any Marth has already been using this input, I would be very surprised. I don't think anyone is using it. It's a technical way of speeding up the attack of nair 1, to hit standing characters faster than otherwise.

Last edited:

Gemzelda_ss

Smash Cadet
NNID
gemzelda_ss
its not really too great since the mario could've power shielded ur fsmash :/ i would recommend sh/ff or sh airdodge with marths uair instead since it can true combo at low percents into utilt, jab, ftilt, dtilt, and grab. not to mention if u don't get the tip of uair at 40-50% (weight dependent) it true combos into a guaranteed tipper and if u get the tipper to hit of uair at 30-40% u can get tipper usmash or utilt !
Only bad thing is that it has the same landing lag as nair but the combos are all true.
BUT ur version is great on high percents! (something uair isn't good at) so maybe it can have some use :)

Last edited:

DariusM27

Smash Ace
its not really too great since the mario could've power shielded ur fsmash :/ i would recommend sh/ff or sh airdodge with marths uair instead since it can true combo at low percents into utilt, jab, ftilt, dtilt, and grab. not to mention if u don't get the tip of uair at 40-50% (weight dependent) it true combos into a guaranteed tipper and if u get the tipper to hit of uair at 30-40% u can get tipper usmash or utilt !
Only bad thing is that it has the same landing lag as nair but the combos are all true.
BUT ur version is great on high percents! (something uair isn't good at) so maybe it can have some use :)
It's not reliable to get uair to space for the Fsmash follow up, since it may tipper uair instead. Also, uair has so much knockback growth that it really has no such thing as guaranteed true combo fsmash tipper. If marth has even a little rage, his uair follow up strings become useless, except for only a few options like another uair.

The uair also has less horizontal range, so in that video only nair and fair would have hit, from the distance marth was from Mario. And the input for falling uair is not as fast an attack as this nair, but if I really needed the fastest possible air attack I would have used fair. But I didn't need speed, I wanted kill setup potential.

Uair is a good combo starter, but tipper Fsmash is the least reliable followup.

I posted the video just so people can see the move being done. Obviously the Mario wasn't very good.

Landing nair1 strings into so many of Marth's moves, it's his best combo starter move. It always combos into grab and Dolphin Slash, and essentially always combos into dancing blade or jab, and strings into usmash or Fsmash easily between 40 through 100++%s. It strings into grab at just about every percent.

It's Marth's only (known) guaranteed kill setup into fsmash at mid to high percent.

And this input is the only way to land the nair on short characters without waiting forever for marth's falling back to ground after short hop.

Last edited:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
I know Lucina has been doing this for a while. Nair1 to fsmash is a real combo for her. As Marth, is this a true combo? Do you need to tipper nair or not? How high commitment is it? These are the kinds of essential things that make this technique useful or not. To me it looks like a mixup, and doing jab mixups is lower commitment. But, being able to mix things up is never a bad thing.

DariusM27

Smash Ace
I know Lucina has been doing this for a while. Nair1 to fsmash is a real combo for her. As Marth, is this a true combo? Do you need to tipper nair or not? How high commitment is it? These are the kinds of essential things that make this technique useful or not. To me it looks like a mixup, and doing jab mixups is lower commitment. But, being able to mix things up is never a bad thing.
It's not just nair1 to fsmash.

It's a completely different way of using nair 1.

You don't need to tip the nair, but spacing is usually a good thing in general for many reasons.

As I wrote above, this particular way of using nair1 is the only way to quickly hit standing characters, from as tall as Bowser to as short as Pikachu.

This nair1 setup requires a fastfall before the nair.

Usually marcina mains jump and wait for the nair1 to be low enough, and then fastfall after the nair.

This is fastfalling before the nair. It has added difficulty and added bonuses.

As a Marth main, every move Marth has is high commitment, but if you get good at this move, it's his fastest air move, as I wrote above...

Fair attacks sooner, but you can do more nair1s consecutively, so in that sense it's faster.

Last edited:

Gemzelda_ss

Smash Cadet
NNID
gemzelda_ss
It's not reliable to get uair to space for the Fsmash follow up, since it may tipper uair instead. Also, uair has so much knockback growth that it really has no such thing as guaranteed true combo fsmash tipper. If marth has even a little rage, his uair follow up strings become useless, except for only a few options like another uair.

The uair also has less horizontal range, so in that video only nair and fair would have hit, from the distance marth was from Mario. And the input for falling uair is not as fast an attack as this nair, but if I really needed the fastest possible air attack I would have used fair. But I didn't need speed, I wanted kill setup potential.

Uair is a good combo starter, but tipper Fsmash is the least reliable followup.

I posted the video just so people can see the move being done. Obviously the Mario wasn't very good.

Landing nair1 strings into so many of Marth's moves, it's his best combo starter move. It always combos into grab and Dolphin Slash, and essentially always combos into dancing blade or jab, and strings into usmash or Fsmash easily between 40 through 100++%s. It strings into grab at just about every percent.

It's Marth's only (known) guaranteed kill setup into fsmash at mid to high percent.

And this input is the only way to land the nair on short characters without waiting forever for marth's falling back to ground after short hop.
but that why if u get the tipper uair it can true combo into a tipper usmash.

fair into fsmash tipper is a true combo and even kills more than half of the char at the ledge making for a viable kill setup with jumping dancing blade.

Illuminado

Smash Cadet
I literally just told you that I've been using this for months lol. This is where marths infinite combo comes from. Or are you going to tell me you're unaware of that as well? Let me reiterate that I'm not trying to be snarky here, but do not claim widely known tech as original when it is already known!

DariusM27

Smash Ace
I literally just told you that I've been using this for months lol. This is where marths infinite combo comes from. Or are you going to tell me you're unaware of that as well? Let me reiterate that I'm not trying to be snarky here, but do not claim widely known tech as original when it is already known!
It may be known of, but it isn't posted in Smashboards as far as I've seen, and I've seen no video of it done on YouTube anywhere. So it doesn't seem to be a public knowledge tech. You should post a replay, I'd like to see how it works for you.

Last edited:

DariusM27

Smash Ace
I posted a who thread abouy Nair 1 killcombos ages ago...

http://smashboards.com/threads/marth-fastfall-nair-kill-combos-can-you-master-the-tipper.413124/

August 6th, actually. hard to believe it was so long ago.

I've been doing this for a while.
That thread seems to be talking about fullhop fastfall nair, or at least it doesn't specify which, it just says ff nair.

The thing I wanted to point out is that short hop fastfall nair is one of the only ways to hit shorter characters with nair1, which doesn't seemed to have been mentioned in your thread, so, there's a Marth thing.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I was bad at specifying :> but Yes I meant sh ff nair 1. That's actually been discussed a lot in the Marth Discord, I actually tested Nair 1 into dancing blade true combo death %s for like 1/3rd of the cast xD

Also what matters isn't the shorthop, or the fastfall but the distance you are from the ground when you nair. You can easily fullhop and normal fall to do a perfect nair 1, if you time it right. Just sayin :p shff is just the most practical way.

DariusM27

Smash Ace
I was bad at specifying :> but Yes I meant sh ff nair 1. That's actually been discussed a lot in the Marth Discord, I actually tested Nair 1 into dancing blade true combo death %s for like 1/3rd of the cast xD

Also what matters isn't the shorthop, or the fastfall but the distance you are from the ground when you nair. You can easily fullhop and normal fall to do a perfect nair 1, if you time it right. Just sayin :p shff is just the most practical way.
Yeah, it's a situational move, but definitely not a terrible option by any means, and excellent followup potential. Definitely the most practical in the sense that it quickly places you at the best distance from the ground. If spaced well, it can be a real threat.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Yeah, it's a situational move, but definitely not a terrible option by any means, and excellent followup potential. Definitely the most practical in the sense that it quickly places you at the best distance from the ground. If spaced well, it can be a real threat.
You can also get the perfect nair 1 height by doing sh db 1 > nair 1

if tippered, sh db 1 will actually combo into nair 1 at higher %s, and leave them at the perfect height for a tipper fsmash

So ye :p

DariusM27

Smash Ace
You can also get the perfect nair 1 height by doing sh db 1 > nair 1

if tippered, sh db 1 will actually combo into nair 1 at higher %s, and leave them at the perfect height for a tipper fsmash

So ye :p
Do you have any videos of sh ff nair?

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
None, I think...xD I'll check, tho I doubt it. I mostly just go to training mode haha, tho this is stuff I try in matches :>

apparently fuz

legendary doesn't fit me.
NNID
googlemynumber
3DS FC
1908-0730-5856
*ignore this, accidental post*

Edit: While I'm here actually, wouldn't n-air 1 work better with Lucina in general? Unless you were to space it properly with Marth, wouldn't tipper f-smash be nigh impossible to hit as a kill confirm (I know you did so in the video)?

Last edited:

DariusM27

Smash Ace

Edit: While I'm here actually, wouldn't n-air 1 work better with Lucina in general? Unless you were to space it properly with Marth, wouldn't tipper f-smash be nigh impossible to hit as a kill confirm (I know you did so in the video)?
I'm sure any nair1 lucina gets would be very good for her.

It's still good for Marth though, if he lands it up close, Usmash kills around 110%ish

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530

As fate would have it, it only starts to combo around 120%, which is the time nontipper fsmash starts killing anyways.

DariusM27

Smash Ace
As fate would have it, it only starts to combo around 120%, which is the time nontipper fsmash starts killing anyways.
It might not true combo, but it strings together well before 120 and can be a good option, depending on the situation.

Put it this way, if I was using lucina and I hit u with nair1 around 100%, there's a good chance I'd take the stock.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
It might not true combo, but it strings together well before 120 and can be a good option, depending on the situation.

Put it this way, if I was using lucina and I hit u with nair1 around 100%, there's a good chance I'd take the stock.
But if they airdodge you're stuck in lag and they can punish you, so it's riskier.

Deviruki

Smash Rookie
NNID
Deviruki.exe
It's a good move if you get the read, I've been messing around with it myself and use it regularly, sometimes using it to take stocks on tip.

I feel like a good amount of people knew about this but it never hurts to spread the word!

DariusM27

Smash Ace
It's a good move if you get the read, I've been messing around with it myself and use it regularly, sometimes using it to take stocks on tip.

I feel like a good amount of people knew about this but it never hurts to spread the word!
Yeah, that's what I'm saying, I'd like to see Marth's using his kill setup potential, at least where it's situationally appropriate. It would be sad if ppl put alot of dedication to a character but missed some of the more optimal punish options.

Pugwest

Smash Apprentice
I actually do this a lot... just it's extremely unsafe.

My methods of using it are either

Short hop instant air ddoge into n-air 1, then do any follow up or.

Short hop, dancing blade 1, into n-air 1 into follow up.

Or my personal favorite but very hard to do and mainly works @ around 45%.

Short hop air dodge into u-air footstool into dancing blade 1, instant d-air (jab resets or bounces) into up-smash. :)

But yeah I don't know if the other Marths do this, I only do it in match ups I can safely take dmg. Like doing this vs Donkey Kong is asking to give up a stock lol.

iDaire

Smash Cadet
NNID
iDaire
So, use Marth's Nair1 and land before the second hit comes out to follow up?
The first hit of Marth's Nair comes out at frame 6 and the landing lag of the move is 12 frames. This gives the opponent 18 frames to react (minus the time of shield stun given they don't perfect shield) to what Marth just did. Even though this is not the biggest window to reach to, as soon as I see you use Nair1 once, I'd forever just wait for you to do it against just so I can get the free grab or tilt that is given to me as a result of your unsafe movement.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
The first hit of Marth's Nair comes out at frame 6 and the landing lag of the move is 12 frames. This gives the opponent 18 frames to react (minus the time of shield stun given they don't perfect shield) to what Marth just did. Even though this is not the biggest window to reach to, as soon as I see you use Nair1 once, I'd forever just wait for you to do it against just so I can get the free grab or tilt that is given to me as a result of your unsafe movement.
Nair is + on shield if tippered. Spotdodging or rolling even for Sheik, take almost 30 frames so you wouldn't be able to punish it off of those. Only option would be to beat it out with an attack, which not everybody can do since it IS a disjoint, albeit not his longest one.

Or I mean, perfect shield, but if the Marth catches you doing that he can start doing emptyhop grab

It's not 'best move ever' tho, to be fair xD

DariusM27

Smash Ace
Nair is + on shield if tippered. Spotdodging or rolling even for Sheik, take almost 30 frames so you wouldn't be able to punish it off of those. Only option would be to beat it out with an attack, which not everybody can do since it IS a disjoint, albeit not his longest one.

Or I mean, perfect shield, but if the Marth catches you doing that he can start doing emptyhop grab

It's not 'best move ever' tho, to be fair xD
True, there's a different move for every situation.

DariusM27

Smash Ace
It's not a move to use just randomly at a shielding opponent, lol.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Is there a problem with short hop Side B 1 into falling Nair? Gives you the optimal height, takes only a few more frames of time to land back on the ground, puts out two hitboxes during the air time instead of one. I just don't see why empty hop is optimal by comparison, as it leaves marth reasonably vulnerable to attack before it's time for Nair. You're also at a good height for the very first frames of Uair to come out, but that's a tricky hitbox to work with. Only notable for being a few frames safer on block, and a few frames less safe on whiff.

But yeah, falling Nair as a kill setup is well known even to players that don't play Marcina (myself included). Besides the best case scenario of tipper Fsmash connecting, All of your tilts can true combo to varying degrees, as can Up B's strong 12% hit. Plus as they accrue more damage, they receive more hitstun while not really being hit too far away from you. Rage also benefits the setup positively.

DariusM27

Smash Ace
Is there a problem with short hop Side B 1 into falling Nair? Gives you the optimal height, takes only a few more frames of time to land back on the ground, puts out two hitboxes during the air time instead of one. I just don't see why empty hop is optimal by comparison, as it leaves marth reasonably vulnerable to attack before it's time for Nair. You're also at a good height for the very first frames of Uair to come out, but that's a tricky hitbox to work with. Only notable for being a few frames safer on block, and a few frames less safe on whiff.

But yeah, falling Nair as a kill setup is well known even to players that don't play Marcina (myself included). Besides the best case scenario of tipper Fsmash connecting, All of your tilts can true combo to varying degrees, as can Up B's strong 12% hit. Plus as they accrue more damage, they receive more hitstun while not really being hit too far away from you. Rage also benefits the setup positively.
It's just another option. I like having all options at my disposal. Marth can lead into nair1 several different ways, and each way has it's own particular conditions, imo.

SmBootZ

Smash Cadet
idk if this has been brought up yet because i dont want to read through like half an hour of comments...but could you get the same result from this?
shot hop
air dodge (asap)
nair (hit one, auto-cancle the rest)
F-Smash

or maybe you could hold for a moment after the air dodge to make sure that the nair goes off as close to the ground as possible.

DariusM27

Smash Ace
idk if this has been brought up yet because i dont want to read through like half an hour of comments...but could you get the same result from this?
shot hop
air dodge (asap)
nair (hit one, auto-cancle the rest)
F-Smash

or maybe you could hold for a moment after the air dodge to make sure that the nair goes off as close to the ground as possible.
I do sh airdodge nair fsmash in the video also, and definitely land that string a lot. Definitely worth the "risk" for me.

I use dash cancel fsmash to give myself more distance to land the tip.

But yeah, I definitely use the other variations of nair, and each one has it's own situational benefits.

SmBootZ

Smash Cadet
I do sh airdodge nair fsmash in the video also, and definitely land that string a lot. Definitely worth the "risk" for me.

I use dash cancel fsmash to give myself more distance to land the tip.

But yeah, I definitely use the other variations of nair, and each one has it's own situational benefits.
Just curious if you tested this with the opponent holding down and shield. i am almost assuming this isnt a true combo, but just a mix up.

Top Bottom