• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Player Advice plz Updated with new Vids!

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
Hey its Ck here i just got back into competive mode so i'll be lurking these boards more often and i'll be taking advice on my marth everytime i post vids up. i'll also be giving advice :p

Most likely they will be posted here :p so plz bump this thread :laugh:

Heres 2 vids already just from a friendly crew battle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfGT3mrXEW8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9vihOJ1puk

i totally got ***** by the snake =.= i think i was being too aggresive idk

UPDATE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi7_LwKBqgE&feature=user

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cavLCq_sr44
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi7_LwKBqgE&feature=user
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9YZijQOw68&feature=user

^^ another crew battle

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
K, way way way too aggressive. Seemed like you were playing marth straight out of melee, he doesn't work like that anymore.

Quick things:

Better spacing. The snake ran all over you, especially during the second stock. You ran into what, 4, 5 ftilts in a row?

More dancing blade. This is his best move now, not fair. Punish mistakes that your opponent makes with this move. It's godly.

More tilts.

Less smashing, it often left you open to get hit.

Slow it down a little. Sometimes you'd just rush in blindly and get hit.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
You kept rushing in against that snake, and you kept getting punished for it. Play more defensive than you usually would against him.

DireklianCliff

Smash Cadet
No. That Snake was far too good at controlling Marth's actions. He baited Marth into almost every 'nade and FAir. If you're going to go on the offensive, you have to play intelligently. In the first battle against Peach, there were a LOT of misses, and your spacing doesn't seem all that great. You did a little better at landing hits on the Snake, but you fell right into his baiting games.

He did a lot of shield-grabbing and shielding your moves. A Dancing Blade -> Shield Breaker combo probably would have worked wonders. I tend to fall into the habit of using Dancing Blade to open most of my offensives, and while I'm guilty of being predictable in that light, it HAS proven to be effective against my friends. Thwart his nades by going around them and forcing him to come to you. Get him to make a mistake and punish him for it with a Dancing Blade, or punish his shielding with a Shield Breaker.

That Snake played defensively, so the best way to counter it (IMO) would be to either perform a better defense game than him or to play aggressively - in a manner that forces him to play aggressively. Make good use of Marth's B moves. You hardly used them, and got punished for it repeatedly.

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
well ima post some more vids up as soon as they are uploaded lol but yea i agree with meep aggressive marth vs snake ***** >< i just played dumb and blind

DireklianCliff

Smash Cadet
I watched it again - You used Dolphin Slash three times. Twice were to recover. Outside of that, not a single B move was used. Marth's special moves are amazing now. That Snake fell into a very predictable game pattern, but (and I'll be blunt for the sake of improving your game) you were even more predictable. Half of his 'nades could have been avoided or Countered to cancel the 'nade and even hit him in response.

I think you should sit down in Training Mode and just play around with Marth's various techniques. You'll find many uses for them all. The first thing I did when I first played Brawl was to go into Training Mode and feel out how Marth had changed. Use his quickness to your advantage. He's quick to attack, quick to recover, and quick to punish his opponent's mistakes.

If you'd like to post more videos, I'll try to be as objective as I can with you so you can improve.

meepxzero

Smash Master
i agree with a lot of what u say marths b moves **** hes just showing wrong vids of himself especially against a crew that plays against nothing but marth x_x.

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
i noticed that u never ftilted lol
it even rocked in melee

fire_wulf

Smash Journeyman
Watched the new ones.... i like it. Play alot like i do... I feel you just need to keep your opponent guessing by changing the moves you do. Don't double Fair quite so much. Throw in a Fair, >B, into a Shield Breaker. I have broken a shield that way before. Also.. try to learn to cancel the Uair on the ground.. can be followed directly into an up tilt.

Overall.. i really like the pressure style.. its how i play and it works really well.. Just gotta keep up on learning the spacing and staying unpredictable. Keep it up.

-FireWulf

crazn137

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I watched the third vid from the new ones.

Good use of shieldbreaker on diddy. Broke two shields and got two stocks.

You didn't SH as much as you should have. You would go into full jump double fair. SH for better spacing.

Don't focus entirely on Marth's aerial game. His ground game is a great part of his move set that many people tend to overlook. A dtilt could set you up for an easy Dancing Blade.

More Dolphin Slash. In particular, use it out shield, or when an opponent has you cornered. It is a great way relieve pressure and to kill opponents at higher percentages.

I'm not sure if I saw you counter, but there were multiple times when you could have. Diddy is great at chasing opponents, and put a lot of pressure on you once he started to tie moves together. Countering will set the fight back to neutral, giving you some space to breathe.

A lot less fsmash. SHFair to a fsmash doesn't exactly work anymore. Instead of punishing with fsmash, use a variation of Dancing Blade. Keep fsmash fresh for when you see an opportunity. Fresh tippered fsmash at 80-90% is complete win.

All in all, nice Marth. Just focus a little more on dropping your bad habits.

Top Bottom