• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth in Doubles?

Nintendo_lord

Smash Journeyman
I played Marth competitively in Melee and I do now in Brawl, however in Melee I never did
2v2 so I'm not quite educated on the subject of Marth's team game. Now I play on a doubles team in Brawl and I need advice. Also, is Toon Link a good doubles partner for a Marth as my teammate plays him in doubles? Any doubles combos, tactics, and overall core game advice for Marth in team play would be appreciated.

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
for doubles, from my little experience, it's good for marth to fight like a marth should, he tends to be the main fighter while the other teamate is the needed-support. it seems effective when one team member fights allot while the other chimes in-inbetween fights and holds stock.

grab attacks are very useful too(where you grab while your partner delivers a hard hit)

like CF for example, a random knee always helps(as seen from isai)

ive never played in a marth-toon team, so i dont have much actual advice there

enixbelmont

Smash Rookie
I'm not that amazing, but my Marth and my Friends Samus is basically unbeatable within my friends. I think marth is one of the best team players because his good range and speed.

V

Smash Ace
toon link is an awesome double. let him grab your opponent and while he's stuck do dancing blade on him to rack up damage. toon link can also fight from a distance with arrows and stuff so that makes him a great asset while you kick a** from up close

Fade016

Smash Journeyman
Actually Marth is usually the support or the way I do in doubles(all it takes is one tipper to your partners face, to cause frustration for the both of you) anyways because marths range can be pretty bad to your own teamate even though im usually better than my teamate other wise in 1v1 im really agressive but, marth should play a more support game. If your cordinated with your teamate its better to pick your opponent and split them up between eachother and fight 2 seperate 1v1s and when you can support your teamate when ever he needs help even if ur comboing and your teamate needs help its best to save him. That is unless of course you are well ahead. Marth has to be careful because of his range and not to get in the way. Other wise your partner should back off and let you do most of the work and your partner not getting in your way. Toon link is a great partner for marth. But it would be best to fight seperate ways because of together your range takes up about half of final destination. Like marth could throw up while toon link is above and uses dair, while marth could send back up for usmash right into toons dair again, or f smash. toon link IMO has more shield pressure than marth, but with the lack of marths projectiles its better for toon link to be the support than marth, because it wouldn't gain you anything if u stand in the back while toon does all the work. Where marth can go in and toon does projectiles from over ahead etc. Like I said if your good for 1v1s stick to that tactic in 2v2s and help your partner when you can. Gimp as much as you can so you can get that lead in teams which is vital just don't be too risky or you will get gimped.

Ultimatum479

Smash Apprentice
toon link is an awesome double. let him grab your opponent and while he's stuck do dancing blade on him to rack up damage. toon link can also fight from a distance with arrows and stuff so that makes him a great asset while you kick a** from up close
Sounds like you're playing with friendly fire off. That's a completely different game. 2v2s without FF make ranged characters godly. It's great fun for a standard Brawl but not good for a real competition.

Iwan

Smash Ace
Marth is a great team character. My GB team is 32-4....and i really didn't have to change my play style that i already used in singles.

If you're a marth user, chances are you're more offensive minded, and that's exactly what i do in teams. I tack on damage, edge guard, and for the most part...i'm constantly on the offensive.

My teammate is more of a defensive minded player in doubles, so we mesh well. I think you and your teammate could be great with a Tlink/Marth combo. I've yet to see that team, and they compliment each other pretty well. Tlink has great projectiles and speed to go along with marth's speed. And oh yea, Tlink's bair :p.

For teams, the marth should be on the offensive while the other player supports.

Also...D3 and Marth are a scary good team.

Nintendo_lord

Smash Journeyman
I always use friendly fire, so whenever he grabs I really can't do much except if he as at low percents I can fsmash him from the opposite side of the opponent so that the tip hits them and my partner takes a small hit.

Top Bottom