• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth: Implications and Intuition

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Intro:
So unlike most older characters; especially those that have actually seen so much screen time already, we got a lot of information from @Zipzo 's two day demo attendance about what is the final "build" for Marth, which short of DLC or other updates will not change.

However I would be wary of feeling he'll be completely the same in the WiiU version, we shouldn't overly speculate but we can be keen. Given just general development methods, by the time we had reached E3 demos the 3DS version of the game would've had to be almost complete or coming close to being ready to print. It would not be an underestimate to say that the game would not have seen any changes in the past three+ months whatsoever. All along I felt this meant that Marth would likely maintain these "nerfs" we saw originally at E3 and otherwise, and from what I've seen we're right. Characters like Zero Suit Samus and Bowser don't seem to have had any alterations, and neither has Marth (Zipzo's information seemed more like confirmations of what we knew rather than new insight).

Anyone who's been around here for a while, or that sees me commenting on Marth in Smash 4 would've seen a pessimistic or critical view. I'm still in that pile, but it shouldn't be something that slows us down in any true capacity, great minds and thinking can achieve many things. My goals here right now is to think outside the box, try to understand Sakurai's design choices and decisions throughout the whole game, not just Marth and see what we can muster.

Fallacy Check / Notion Promotion:
If you keep all these things in mind we can save ourselves time. On hindsight I burbled here a lot, but the first three points are most concerning and the rest is kinda background info/opinions.
  • Balance is relative. Literal changes that are objectively weakening the character does not mean "Low Tier" or otherwise. Marth may be worse than in Brawl/Melee, but so could the general power level of everyone else.
  • Better or worse in comparison to other games. Not something you can conclude now or anytime soon. I'm pretty vehement in saying Marth is a "better" character in Brawl than he is in Melee, but it took me many many years to draw that conclusion.
  • In every game thus far, character viability has stemmed primarily from game mechanic "abuse", at base level most characters seem to be on a similar plain with a relatively wide middle tier. What most heavily impacts characters are invalidations, [often only] single shortfalls that cripple them; or (for lack of a better term) monopolising options such as chain grabs or nonspecific "bull ****".

• Marth is high/top tier in two games and is touted as a character with no weaknesses. For being dominant in two games it all but seemed inevitable "large" changes would come in to normalise him. A jack of all trades / no weakness character isn't objectively fair nor should be expected to exist in any game let alone a fighting one.
  • Sakurai has made comments in the past about purposely designing characters in relation to others (so thinking X should probably lose to Y); there are character traits that Marth loses to by virtue of design, and he just somehow plowed through them in both games by virtue of luck or stubbornness (he does not lose to any character in Brawl, although many are very hard for him).
  • Marth's design was supplemented by luck in both games, viability is match ups, and by fluke Marth really couldn't be said to lose any match up in any game. While having a ton of free stuff on other characters. His primary weakness is getting kills and being camped.

Spacey chain grabs christened him as forever relevant in Melee and other character types that would subvert him were invalidated by Sheik or the aforementioned gods. With ledges and recoveres being much weaker, his ability to edge guard a majority with ease also gave him a lot of relevance.
    In Brawl, grab releases gave him kill set ups on a slew of characters for free, including the most relevant: Meta Knight (being able to kill him at 40-50% being a god send). A lot of his moves are not safe on hit at early percent but he is supplemented with a free 30-40% from any grab at 0% on every character; this is extremely significant and cannot be overstated. In contrast he had nothing overwhelming on characters like Snake, Dedede, ROB, Wolf, Donkey Kong (hint: they're heavy) and had hard times dealing with all of them. Overtime Snake's slower grab (8 frames instead of 6) and no great response to vertical tools (like full hop fair) turned that in our favour but was considered a counter to us for a long time in the early days.

What I'm trying to say here is that if Marth had not had those abilities (like most characters in the game do not), he would've likely been a much weaker character. Still good, but the whole "jack of all trades" notion would've really meant "Upper Middle Tier" at best rather than "TOP TIER".

Points of Interest:
From Zipzo's AMA recently.
  • Marth feels very nerfed. His range seems even worse than in Brawl (I was whiffing fsmashes like crazy and I'm pretty good with tippers).
  • Aside fr his range and no ability to double fair he seems mostly the same, aside from running faster.
  • It's his range that REALLY feels kinda killer to His melee/brawl play style.
  • Tippering with Marth seems to require your opponent to be a lot closer than ever before, it seems he won't be as much of a spacing monster as he's always been.
  • This can't be overstated enough, his range feels significantly shorter (by significantly I mean that it's noticeable. It's all relative of course), and seems to be his most notable nerf. Spacing his tippers seems to bBe considerably more skill-based due to the range needed.
  • counter is definitely godlike
:substitute:General Mechanics/Things
  • Pivot cancel is still in
  • YOU CAN CANCEL RUN WITH SHIELD. Was shielding the only option of dash-cancelling? As far as I could tell, yes. you CANNOT cancel the dash ANIMATION. Only running with shield. [same as Brawl]
  • shield rolling is extremely fast and there's a neat little sparkle star effect when you do it and acting out of shield is as well. I think of it like a mini-wave dash. No wave dashing or l-cancelling. Just rolling baby. I noticed that some characters have better rolls than others, and some also have interesting traits.
  • Attacking Shields were a lot safer. It was a real street fighter feel in that you could pressure an opponents shield without it being really cheap, akin to pressuring an opponents block. Shields also break easier so you can't just sit there in shield.
  • shields definitely break quicker. It APPEARED to me that I broke Mario's shield hitting it twice in a row with a sonic dtilt.
:metaknight:Ledges:metaknight:
  • Ledge snap SEVERELY nerfed. I feels like Melee ledge grab.
  • Back Ledge Grabbing is back
  • I could not re-grab the ledge directly after letting go and jumping back in to obvious grab range.
  • Did you see/experience anybody exploiting the trump mechanic as an edgeguard, like popping somebody off right when they grab the ledge, then jumping off and attacking them? Hell yeah I did! [http://smashboards.com/posts/17488391]

ledge stalling may be impossible now? If you drop from the ledge and jump back up, you literally will just NOT grab it. It's like the ledge gains invulnerability to your grab for a certain time after you let go. DO NOT TAKE THIS OUT OF CONTEXT. I am not 100% sure I need to try it again on my 2nd go around but in my last match I basically lived on the ledge trying this out.

I retested ledge mechanics.
I WAS RIGHT. I used megaman this time and reaffirmed my experiences with Ike.
There is a short and small window of time after dropping from the ledge that the ledge becomes "immune" to your grab.
This has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE TRUMP MECHANIC. It was completely individually on the character. It is not very apparent on characters with flips for 2ndary jumps, as the ledge grab action waits for the flip to finish and the window for "ledge immunity" seems to end before the flip animation does. Megaman and Ike do not have flips, and it was impossible for me to the ledge after jumping/falling off it for a period of time.
I am essentially 100% of sure this.
Implications
Noticeable changes between Melee to Brawl:
Nerfs: Down Air, Forward Tilt, Up Tilt, Jab, Shield Breaker, Forward Smash, Grab Range. "comparative range"
Buffs: Dolphin Slash, Counter, Dancing Blade (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), Down Smash, Up Smash, Down Tilt, Neutral Air, Back Air, Up Air (it does kill)
Variable: Forward air tipper "killing" rather than upwards/combo starter, down tilt pushing you forward on repeats.

What I think we're seeing in Smash 4
  • Safety on shield being a real thing again. Marth was one of the few characters to claim actual safety on shield in Brawl. Shields breaking a lot easier (2 down tilts from Sonic!?) could mean significant things for us.
  • Ledge play being less forgiving; less sweetspot room hurting people without good vertical recoveries and opening us up for Forward Smashes or Down tilts for "gimps".
  • ...while off stage play not being "nerfed" (if anything actually more robust). This likely favours us over all. We already were screwed on the ledge (like most characters should be), but we had the beautiful ability to harass and gimp off stage better than nearly everyone else in the cast. This trump mechanic likely favours us as our aerial start up and hitboxes are still good (it seems) and fast vertical recoveries will probably give you the most off stage variability.
  • Larger stages/blastzones and this "Final Destination" focus. Vertical kill options may be most prized, and gimps/spikes may be the only other strong/reliable means of killing people in the game.
  • Pivot tilting. Characters with good/fast tilts and dashes will likely have the most versatility on the ground.
  • Combos may not be long hence option covering/frame traps (a more Brawl focused thing) will still be relevant, something a character with disjoints and fast mobility can most abuse. Air dodges being weaker makes frame trapping even easier and hopefully we can retain our ability to do so with stuff like grab/shield, fear of fair/nair, smash attacks or down tilt.
Marth "changes" from Brawl to Smash4 (not concrete, guesses/hearsay):
Nerfs: Forward Air, Dancing Blade, Range [again, hard and a comparator thing]
Buffs: Rolls (at least back roll), Dash speed, Weight?, Dolphin Slash having less landing lag?, counter buffed (in hopefully ways that make it usable, not just zomg it can kill people who throw out a 30% move at you), shieldbreaker apparently buffed (with shields nerfed to boot?), Down air landing lag?, Back Air?, Kill Throws? (although %damage on throws seems the same... which seems disingenuous)
Prayers: Dolphin Slash is still invincible, our dash to shield animation is shorter/fairer (THIS IS HUGE ACTUALLY AND MEANS A LOT MORE THAN OTHER THINGS. WE HAD THE WORST ONE IN BRAWL), we still have a good grab range, walk and aerial mobility. Triple jump glitch or the carry-on lag of dolphin slash doesn't hamper our ability to get off the ledge.

Intuitions

I guess this is where I say we "all" start to talk, but here we go...

Marth will be able to compete off stage/against enemy recoveries even better than in Brawl. A single forward air, back air ("easy") could be stocks in ways similar to Melee that we didn't have before in Brawl. People aiming for the ledge may be able to get hit by our on-stage moves such as down tilt and forward smash also likely equating to stocks.

Marth has always found grabs. His inability to capitalise on them at higher percent really sucked. The ability to kill with them may help us out in a lot of ways. However, opponent's having to respect us less in the air when close to the ground means one of our near sure-fire ways of getting grabs (landing and grabbing rather than using an aerial) could be gone.

If shields are weaker and shieldbreaker is buffed, we may find fantastic ground and aerial approach mix ups that could get us stocks, straight up.

Rolls being better in general hurts us by any previous game's standards. But if the prevalence of the option is so apparent that it's chosen over taking hits on shield, then our apparently buffed dash speed could really mean a lot for us. Furthermore our backroll being very very good (we know this) could be a huge save for us in a lot of ways too.

Our range being hit again is a bit of a pisser, especially when we have some speed nerfs. As we've seen, some characters have exceptional range in this game still (Zero Suit Samus - I'm looking at you) and their ability to keep us out could be insurmountable for us; especially if resetting to neutral with rolls is that powerful.

Getting through projectiles via the air may be outright impossible. If we cannot get a punishment or positional advantage from reacting to a projectile and ff fair it to clash and rush down we could be in a lot of trouble. It seems most characters don't have auto cancels on projectile specials and projectiles are laggier/weaker it seems from some of the veterans but that means absolutely nothing about everyone else we're yet to learn more of.

Dancing Blade nerfs means our ground game versatility from Brawl is cut (where the fact that most character's dash options were weak and the weakness of our huge dash to shield animation seems justified) in ways we won't yet understand. It's primary purpose in brawl was our bread and butter punishment option, if it maintains its start up and near improbability of getting out of it with DI it'll still be great but require more skill. It's weakness to being rolled into on reaction/whiff will be more prevalent for sure.

Our ability to frame trap / cover options against grounded opponents may be weaker, but what we do against opponents in the air from the ground I foresee as changing little. Forward Air and Back Air should still be near impossible to beat vertically and mostly horizontally from above for everyone. Our juggling should still be quite dominant.

I will come into Smash4 thinking of our moveset in this type of way:
  • Dancing blade will still be our amazingly versatile high damage punishment tool out of dash.
  • We'll get people in the air through dancing blade or grabs, and keep them there with our auto cancelled aerials or jab/tilts.
  • Our focus will be to get people out of centre stage at any and all times, hopefully having ability to capitalise on the trump mechanic and a weaker ledge. Stronger throws could mean us being able to control centre stage ourselves and always putting people in a position we're most in advantage (Diddy Kong was such an asshole with this, you have no idea).
  • Pivot down tilt and forward tilt's power will vary on our dash animation length and their range/cool down. Down tilt maintaining a safety/pokey niche will be our main means of advancing our zoning capabilities onto others as it hampers their ground tools and coerces them into the air where we are more oppressive in punishing.
  • If we can deal with rolls and spot dodges, we'll probably be very happy.
  • Back air and nair may be our primary bread and butter aerials (bair on rising and nair as a fast fall), and fair will hopefully be a great chaining move.
  • Dolphin Slash being a potent dragon punch like in Brawl may make our shield still scary to deal with.
  • Open to shieldbreaker and counter being better. Aerial usages of it need to be heavily explored (same for dancing blade as it didn't have much reason to use in the air in Brawl)

Worrying characters/match ups:
:4bowser:Bowser: Weight and range. His punishments on us could be very potent. Could be huge shieldbreaker fodder though! A horizontal primed recovery could get us gimps/stocks. Ditto to Donkey Kong:4dk:
:4zss:Zero Suit: Her moveset is way too safe/long range and we may not have any reliable punishment options on her because of it, getting through all of her moves and projectiles and she still has a great roll/jump to reset after all the hard work. Vertical recoveries will be harder for us to deal with IMO.
:4kirby:Kirby: Close range speed and great grab game. Maybe not bad at all, perhaps his bair will be harder for us to punish from the ground than it was in Brawl, which would hurt us a lot.
:4sonic:Sonic: Kinda buffed from Brawl? We're kinda nerfed? ughh. It's so easy for him to rush us down in Brawl and boosted kill power for him will only make it worse. But certain mechanical changes may not serve him well. Will likely still have the best mobility options overall in the game though.
:4megaman:Megaman: A zoning character with apparently good weight, range and recovery. Falco was always complicated for us, although ultimately even-ish. Something similar with better weight/recovery doesn't sound nice.

:4dedede:Dedede, :4charizard:Zard, :4palutena:Palutena, :4shulk:Shulk, :4yoshi:Yoshi are looking dangerous for various reasons, but who knows.

@C.J.

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Toggle Spoiler
Am I the only one who thinks that Marth's sword is actually slightly longer on at least SOME of his moves? I know these GIFs aren't perfect for comparison because of camera angle/zoom differences, but just have a look anyway.
The top of the arc, to me at least, looks noticeably further away from Marth's head in Smash 4 than it does in Brawl.
Same deal here; the distance between the tip and his head looks bigger in Smash 4. Like am I crazy? From what I can see Marth's attacks, if they aren't bigger, certainly are not smaller than in Brawl. I don't get how people can say that all of his attacks were reduced in size. Besides, Marth's range is TINY in Brawl. If Marth's sword was somehow shortened again then it would probably like this:
After seeing this i really wonder if his range was completely nerfed.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
We saw pretty amazing hitboxes/arcs in the direct but they weren't really there in the E3 demo.
We're also talking about the 3DS version. Range nerfs are just guesses and I'll repeat myself from my first post but even if it is 'literally' shorter, doesn't mean anything when we cannot compare it to the rest of the cast.

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
We saw pretty amazing hitboxes/arcs in the direct but they weren't really there in the E3 demo.
We're also talking about the 3DS version. Range nerfs are just guesses and I'll repeat myself from my first post but even if it is 'literally' shorter, doesn't mean anything when we cannot compare it to the rest of the cast.
well i would like to think the hit boxes are the same from 3ds to wiiu but overall i think marth is honestly going to be great this time around. there is nothing wrong with being close range anyway given that he runs even faster this time around.

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
I'm gonna reserve actual impressions of his range when I see footage of the final build but from Zipzo's comments, it seems like we should expect it to be relatively shorter than his brawl range.

Given the gifs though, I'm just confused as to what I'm gonna get when I play marth. It looks longer, it feels shorter.

If characters don't ledge snap nearly as easily, I could see forward smash being an option on ledge again, but I think back air would be a more dependable option.

All speculation, of course.

Last edited:

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
I'm far more optimistic about Marth than most other people seem to be. :) Even if he is "worse", that won't deter me from playing him; doing well with characters that aren't high-tier is arguably more satisfying anyways. :) I look forward to figuring out how to adapt to his Smash 4 playstyle.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I would say a lot of people's thoughts on range are based off of the way the 3DS looks (or just general adjustments to how long range people can be [i.e. keeping things fairer ala 64]). Just going by the Japan demo people are now playing, characters like Link seem to be "short" in range as well, at least not looking much longer than Marth's attacks (maybe not so much aerials, but between grounded tilts/attacks). Pikachu's moveset looked only looks slightly less (like Link ftilting whiffing into a not so much moving forward pikachu fair hitting).

Furthermore these demos are showing me how bad people's recoveries are for grabbing the ledge. We're going to wreck people. Maybe not better than some other characters, but there are so many match ups that recovering characters are going to have a lot of issues with. If counter doesn't kill us off stage when we use it... OH MY GOD (doesn't in Brawl, so we should be able to go off stage with counter to get kills too?).

Up tilt looks a bit more "all-tilt" again. But yeah, animation effects could be warping our perceptions too. And those pictures are from the WiiU/Direct, which definitely inferred to us big-huge-range.

Last edited:

Zero Requiem

Smash Apprentice
I would say a lot of people's thoughts on range are based off of the way the 3DS looks (or just general adjustments to how long range people can be [i.e. keeping things fairer ala 64]). Just going by the Japan demo people are now playing, characters like Link seem to be "short" in range as well, at least not looking much longer than Marth's attacks (maybe not so much aerials, but between grounded tilts/attacks). Pikachu's moveset looked only looks slightly less (like Link ftilting whiffing into a not so much moving forward pikachu fair hitting).

Furthermore these demos are showing me how bad people's recoveries are for grabbing the ledge. We're going to wreck people. Maybe not better than some other characters, but there are so many match ups that recovering characters are going to have a lot of issues with. If counter doesn't kill us off stage when we use it... OH MY GOD (doesn't in Brawl, so we should be able to go off stage with counter to get kills too?).

Up tilt looks a bit more "all-tilt" again. But yeah, animation effects could be warping our perceptions too. And those pictures are from the WiiU/Direct, which definitely inferred to us big-huge-range.
You have restored all my lost hope, I love you.

Wraeith

Smash Cadet

This was honestly my first reaction to hearing Zipzo saying they basically gutted Marth's trademark range. I feel 3DS screen perception plays a large role in it regarding a character whose reach is his life. I even asked him about it in his AMA and he conceded that he may have exaggerated a bit much on the nerfs.

After seeing this i really wonder if his range was completely nerfed.
I believe the range in the first GIF was from some promotional footage, so we can likely attribute that ridiculous range to theatrical display and demonstration. As sexy as those massive arcs are, they look like Shulk's absurd range.

Second GIF is from a video of the E3 demo I believe. Honestly, I'd be more than happy with the range shown here.

Ultimately, I'm going to reserve judgement until we see some final, factual footage rather than someone just "feeling" like it's shorter. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't slightly concerned for Marth though, nerfing his range is really harsh. I'm going to blame Lucina if it all goes south for us. :evil:

Edit:
Looks like some new Famitsu images of the 3DS have arisen and there are a couple portraying a few of Marth and Lucina's attacks. I can only imagine these were taken from the final build considering all of the colors and costumes, but it may not be.

It's a bit difficult to compare the sword range to other sources -- especially Wii U -- due to the small panels, but I don't see the range being that crippling in this state, actually looks decently further than Brawl Marth. With most of the other issues alleviated, I'm pretty content with Marth's current position, now we just have to hope these were taken from the finalized version.

Last edited:

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Well, @ Wraeith Wraeith already posted it, but I did abit of an edit to compare Marth's range to Lucina's.

If this is accurate, then it's safe to say our range is more or less similar to our descendent's. That said, it also looks similar to Link's, so....

Wraeith

Smash Cadet
Well, @ Wraeith Wraeith already posted it, but I did abit of an edit to compare Marth's range to Lucina's.

If this is accurate, then it's safe to say our range is more or less similar to our descendent's. That said, it also looks similar to Link's, so....
I took a shot from the E3 demo video I linked earlier, mirrored it, and then lined it up with your comparison.

Quality and perspective isn't the best, but definitely gives a relatively good impression. I think it's quite similar, if there is a difference, you can probably attribute it to the discrepancy between 3DS and Wii U. So while it's not the amazing arcs we saw before in the direct, Marth's spacing ability is still there. Especially if you compare his range to someone like Link's.

Addendum:

Well it's been quite eventful today in terms of new footage and information. I managed to grab a few additional shots from the release livestream and added the forward smash to the comparison.
Obligatory potato quality warning.

Looks nigh on identical, so Marth's range has been virtually untouched since the E3 demo, or at least forward smash. So I believe Zipzo's allegations of sub-Brawl range was him being highly unaccustomed to the 3DS screen and controls.

Bonus Forward Air:

Again, sorry for the dreadful quality. There's no better available sadly with low-resolution livestream captures.

Last edited:

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
That F-Air range seems great.

If we'll be fullhopping a lot like in brawl, F-Air is gonna be sweet. N-Air for the shorthops.

I haven't seen much of D-tilt in action.

Offstage kills are gonna be awesome in this game.

I don't have much else to say until I get to play as him, as soon as I get my hands on a copy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom