• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Help Please!!!

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
well, a marth just broke my 11 win streak on gamebattles by beating me 2-0 on FD then Battlefield.

i had A LOT more trouble trying to beat him than any Toon Link / Ike / Wolf / Zelda / Sonic / Diddy / Metaknight / Pit / Pikachu / Zamus / Lucas mirror i've ever played 1v1.

Anybody have good tips for the Marth matchup?

Shaman

Smash Apprentice
obviously zap spam, wavebounce allot, or whatever its called, try to keep your spacing, so you can rack up the damage while stating away from the sharp end of his sword. That said, it all comes down to good spacing against a disjointed hit box with lucas, because you can really compete against the sword, so go for high damage with projectile spam, and then close when you opponents damage is in the kill range, i believe an RAR'd back air will clash against Marth's f-tilt, so you could try to use that knock Marth into the air, for the juggle or kill move.

Levitas

the moon
Wavebouncing PK Fire is the single most important tool to throw him off and help trick him into your traps (whatever they may be). It's the only thing that's really safe against marth.

CFaLC

Smash Cadet
When playing against a really good Marth (one that knows how to dodge PK fire spam), I'm pretty sure Lucas is almost always beat. I've thought of ways to get in close to either do some damage or smash him...but Marth is better in nearly all ways. The only way he's lacking is he has no projectiles. Marth has more range on attacks, does more damage, he can edgeguard really well (to the point you can't get back sometimes, unless you use zap jump), he attacks faster than Lucas does...He is really powerful against Lucas. I, personally, have only beaten bad Marth players. Any good one that knows what they're doing, I have a lot of trouble beating. The only time I really get hits in is if they mess up, I guess.

Levitas

the moon
You can grab a marth from just outside his fsmash range, your moves are faster in almost all cases, and the advantages that marth has on lucas aren't dissimilar to the advantages that marth has on T. Link

It's a really interactive matchup, which means that the better player will generally win.

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
Avoid taking a lot of damage from dancing blade (you can DI back in most cases to get out of it), predict and punish his dodges, and use your PK fire intelligently.

The main trick to this matchup is don't get aggressive or greedy, and keep spacing at the middle of your PK fire range, just at the edge of his, and keep mobile, and use your PKF to build damage but not as a setup. If Marth wants to approach, dodge his attack with a retreating PKF.

Don't play "defensive" as in running away; you always want to be putting yourself in a position to get that grab or next hit.

Pat/Pro

Smash Ace
I play on gamebattles too and im like 54-9 ranked 35th. And like 8 out of my 9 losses are to marths. Ive beaten pretty much every good marth on the ladder but its 50/50 alot on whether I do beat them. Its the only matchup that I have found Lucas has an obvious amount of trouble with.

Against good marths SPAM SPAM SPAM obviously like everyone says. Avoid playing on battlefield. For some reason I LOVE playing marths on delfino. I have never lost to one on that stage. If you use your up b to force them to up b onto the stage you get alot of free hits from his slow recovery. Also alot of the stage is wide open and large allowing for plenty of spamming.

Edgeguarding is definitely key, if you get a marth off the stage up b spike him. Aim for the front of the face or if hes too far and is going below the ledge hit him in the back. Alot of the time it will bounce him off the stage and spike him. If they are right in front pikay fire obviously.

A trick I always catch marths with is if you have the opportunity neutral air behind them and immediately forward smash they always try to grab or tilt or noobly forward smash. Although you wouldnt think it, it can be relatively easy to land fsmashes against marths if you can predict them well. Your bat can reach marth if his attack is causing him or has caused him to lean forward even if you were out of his range. Take the first stock spamming and figuring out their style.

Avoid getting upaired (obviously) but dont take chances. Lucas can live A LONG TIME against marths if they avoid getting upaired or faired when recovering. (Use down b to buy some time to think, it will carry you forward). Especially ones that forward smash all over the place weakening the move till the point of uselessness. Ive lived at 175% from a marth f smash before.

Top Bottom