• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth chain grabbing fox

Ballin

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I'm sort of a new marth player.
Been playing for around 2 years now on and off.

Whenever I chain grab a fox, they can always shine out after a few grabs.
I would say... at around 20% they can just shine me.
20% is not high enough to up tilt of anything else I know of.

I see mew2king zero - death foxes on fd all the time.
is there some sort of guide on chain grabbing spacies?

thanks.

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
Ballin there is a moment when you can't grab them if they do it correctly.

I've seen it done by PC against m2k in matches, and from experience i've had it done.

Any Frame Nerds out there wanna back me up?

booshk

Smash Lord
generally like intuitively its like 21-25 % you can't regrab... the percent after you throw them of course. so then you pivot grab, pummel, uthrow, reverse utilt regrab and keep going to whatever you like to do. you can do what dart says but a smart player can just break out of it.

Dart!

Smash Master
generally like intuitively its like 21-25 % you can't regrab... the percent after you throw them of course. so then you pivot grab, pummel, uthrow, reverse utilt regrab and keep going to whatever you like to do. you can do what dart says but a smart player can just break out of it.
Can doesnt mean they will. The smartest smasher around wont mash out 100% of the time. Cgs are situational, its all di dependent and how you react to it.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
People in general don't pummel and don't try to break out. It's kinda stupid when you really think about it. We should really take advantage.

AceDudeyeah

Smash Ace
I listen to my opponent's controller whenever I grab and pummel him at mid-percents. If I don't hear much, I start to pummel at early percents. Advanced technique?

Anyways, at that 21-25 percent where you'd need to pivot regrab, could you do an uptilt(either to the left or to the right depending on which way you were initially facing) and get the regrab after that?

Ballin

Smash Apprentice
pivot grab is just dashing forward and back to grab him again right?
and pummel is to just hit him while he's grabbed?

ok, so I CG til 21%, then i pivot grab and pummel and then upthrow.
then I should be good for another regrab pummel and uptilt?

4 Aces

Smash Ace
pivot grab is just dashing forward and back to grab him again right?
and pummel is to just hit him while he's grabbed?

ok, so I CG til 21%, then i pivot grab and pummel and then upthrow.
then I should be good for another regrab pummel and uptilt?
Yup, that's basically the sparknotes definition of a pivot grab.

Meh, my chain grabs on Fox is trash. lol

Btw, can I instead of doing a true pivot, say, do a "pivot" jc'd grab? I feel like I'm cheating, cuz I don't think it'd be a true pivot at that point, but it's the only way I know how to do it. lol

booshk

Smash Lord
Can doesnt mean they will. The smartest smasher around wont mash out 100% of the time. Cgs are situational, its all di dependent and how you react to it.
but i mean if you try to do that all the time it's pretty obvious you can just break out... i remember first time playing diakonos when he was bad like in 2005 he tried to do that to me and it was quite easy to see what he was doing and break out. most of the good players i have around my area usually try pretty hard to break out in serious sets so... i dont know. pivot grab isnt really that hard when you practise it so really depends on the person i guess.

btw that 21-25% i meant just intuitively thinking that's when i would try to pivot grab.. i don't know the exact numbers i'm sure there are exceptions.

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
I just got out of marth's uthrow cg at 9% with fox.

Does that mean i did it right or is the Marth player missing?

I've missed around this percent before on numerous occasions playing as Marth.

Ballin

Smash Apprentice

it means ur the best fox player in the world now.

4 Aces

Smash Ace

It means that you are the god of this new world.

Diakonos

Smash Lord
What does this mean?

So bright, so vivid.

I would really really like an in-depth marth CG fox tutorial. Also, guaranteed combos from a grab at 50 on FD.

Booshk's marth is decent at offense, you just need to work on not getting *****.

booshk

Smash Lord
m2k had a pretty indepth CG somewhere.
i was doing good yesterday manuel you shouldve seen 8)

but it's really hard not to get ***** by sion
sion's scary when he thinks :c did u see him 4 stock tony omg

and jbm that marth should have been doing something wrong unless you have an amazing new tactic to get out of marth CG.

Originally Posted by Mew2King
These are the %s you don't have to move to do CGs with Marth vs Fox
0-16 Forward DI (sometimes 16 will miss though, but I think usually you will get them)
0-20 no DI (sometimes you will get them at 20 or 21 or so but the soonest you can miss is 20)
0-28 back DI

for up tilt vs Fox without needing to move
0-35 Forward DI (sometimes you will miss at 35 though, I've even had phantom hit bull**** before, but after 35 you need to walk forward no matter what. I think walk forward up tilt works to like 50 something?)
no DI the lowest you can up throw up tilt to knock them UP is like 23 I think that's unrelated though kinda, although honestly I usually do it at about 27/28+ (by the way vs Fox I usually do reverse up tilt because it seems better and it's harder to DI out of assuming they don't DI because you can still dash grab them even if they DI it, while if you did normal up tilt after not DIing up throw all the Fox has to do is DI behind Marth and he can land and tech before Marth can grab him)
0-50 back DI

T0RN

I'm Torn
People in general don't pummel and don't try to break out. It's kinda stupid when you really think about it. We should really take advantage.
I see marths grab a fox at zero percent and forward throw> F smash tipper, or to regrab forward throw etc. Is this because they are diing in?

Top Bottom