• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Aargh

L33teHaxor

Smash Apprentice
I need help with Marth's. for some reason my spam game doesn't work against them and neither do my physical attacks. I also seem to eat a lot of Fsmashes when I'm facing a Marth. The thing is that my friends kinda play a combination of Azen and Ken, and a few other Marth's but I can't think of their names right now. Anyways is it just me or is ylink vs Marth a really bad matchup for ylink. So if anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it.

D20

Smash Lord
It's a horrible match up. Don't worry about it. Try picking up Sheik.

I pro-quality Marth will never lose to any YL... period.

L33teHaxor

Smash Apprentice
It's a horrible match up. Don't worry about it. Try picking up Sheik.

I pro-quality Marth will never lose to any YL... period.
Well thanks D20 but I guess since you said that then this is a pointless thread sry about that.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
lol Ylink vs marth. hmmm. There must be some inescapable combos he has on Marth. Anyone have any ideas?

Picking up sheik is not a bad idea, but since you like Ylink...y not pick up Link? Link has the advantage against Marth on most matchups, and he's basically ylink...just 7 years older. I think you should do that.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Things to keep in mind when playing against Marth:

His range is longer than every single on your attacks.
His sword can stop all of your projectiles.
He can kill you with ease.

Knowing this. How do you go about in fighting a Marth? Well..its quite simple really. But first you must know what kind of Marth he is:
If he likes to double f-air all day long, then jump over his head and spam bombs all day for example.

Pretty much. Learn how to stay out of his range and at the same time break his defense with your projectiles. If your projectiles take a hit, you don't take damage. So use that to get inside of his range and stun him. Once stunned, rush in for an attack. Edge guarding is pretty easy too. If they don't sweetspot, nair works. If you wanna be safe, you can throw a projectile out their and nair them. If they do sweet spot or come from beneath the stage, bomb drop-dair(or d-smash) always works(unless you miss or something and their up-b eats your bomb).

Watch my Marth match in my video thread to see how I dealt with recovery, spacing, and stuff like that.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
I don't play young link but my best friend does.

Always keep your boomarang out.. (Causes turn around and disrupts combos)
Bombs are great as they are added damage but they really get on my nerves when I've tippered him and the bomb explodes..he likes to get the bomb hot and about to blow up everytime he gets high %..

Be careful throwing projectiles out there...bows and bombs have actully helped me recover before..but the boomerang has always screwed me over.

If hes a dumb marth, hes going to stick to double fairing and Laijin covered that but I usually switch up to a ground based game against young link..chasing him around in the air sucks.

As usual, pick large stages and play gay, keep away, etc...

Try to get marth offstage and wait for that second jump, because without it, marth has just vertical recovery, no horizontal due to him needing it to gain momentum for his sideBs. N-air screws marth over easy...and if hes at high damage, d-smashes hit hard and d-airs do well since hes light character...
Actually, if hes juggling you at high damage doing high jumped u-airs, landing a dair that high up may lead for a stock.

Jash

Smash Lord
Now this is a very interesting match up, i mean don't get me wrong Marth owns Young Link but....theres a very simple way to beat him and ill list them for you bro.

#1: DO NOT SPAM 100% OF THE TIME!! Smart Marths will see it and charge up to you, and when they do your screwed. Be extremely evasive with Wavedashing, and don't jump to him.....EVER!

#2: Camp Marth until he does his Fsmash, This will be your opening when fighting him so you can do your ultra grab combos to him. Also when your at a distances, then always keep a bomb in your hand, If he spams Fairs then as soon as he lands hes a tiny bit open so time your throws of the bomb.

#3: If you seen Laijin videos, then edge guarding him should not be issue. But they usually like to sweetspot, so to be on the safe side, just grab the edge.

These three things should make Marth not much of a problem, thats how i fight him. NEVER GO IN TO FIGHT MARTH! thats asking for trouble, wait till he comes to you, and if he doesn't.....spam =). Hope i helped.

L33teHaxor

Smash Apprentice
Now this is a very interesting match up, i mean don't get me wrong Marth owns Young Link but....theres a very simple way to beat him and ill list them for you bro.

#1: DO NOT SPAM 100% OF THE TIME!! Smart Marths will see it and charge up to you, and when they do your screwed. Be extremely evasive with Wavedashing, and don't jump to him.....EVER!

#2: Camp Marth until he does his Fsmash, This will be your opening when fighting him so you can do your ultra grab combos to him. Also when your at a distances, then always keep a bomb in your hand, If he spams Fairs then as soon as he lands hes a tiny bit open so time your throws of the bomb.

#3: If you seen Laijin videos, then edge guarding him should not be issue. But they usually like to sweetspot, so to be on the safe side, just grab the edge.

These three things should make Marth not much of a problem, thats how i fight him. NEVER GO IN TO FIGHT MARTH! thats asking for trouble, wait till he comes to you, and if he doesn't.....spam =). Hope i helped.
Hmmm maybe that's why I always lose when I face my friends Marth I spam too much and am too agressive. Now that I think about it I usually go after him and he waits for me to make an opening and he attacks. Well Jash thanks for these tips and everyone else too I appreciate every ones help.
Laijin I will rewatch you vs that Marth and I watch some of Jash's old matches with that Marth too and see what I can use to help me.

technomancer

Smash Champion
Remember that anyone approaching any of the top tiers is at a significant disadvantage due to their inherint aerial speed and priority, good grab games and good spacing games. There is alot of risk inherint, and great players can press you for a good 50% very quickly with any of them, and if they get you off the side it's a stock. What Uair or Nair or bomb combo is worth the risk?

Spam vs. Marth also needs to be intelligent. Throwing projectiles at Marth is... dumb... he's manuverable and can cut through them to land his gay combos in your lag, in fact many of them are waiting for you to put a projectile in the wrong spot so they can Ken combo you while you're not paying attention to DI. Use your projectiles to punish any sort of attack he makes, so you can build damage for when you do get in a smash or grab combo.

Micheloxx

Smash Ace
well what i can say is use boomer a lot to bother him, and throw boms in this secuence, bomd out, boomer, throw bomb, like that, then u can get near and attk, Dsmash, or Ftilt, i dont know, grab. But never get near even if thers boomer flying.. Try playing like that.. Then ull post..

Laijin

Smash Hero
Hmmm maybe that's why I always lose when I face my friends Marth I spam too much and am too agressive. Now that I think about it I usually go after him and he waits for me to make an opening and he attacks. Well Jash thanks for these tips and everyone else too I appreciate every ones help.
Laijin I will rewatch you vs that Marth and I watch some of Jash's old matches with that Marth too and see what I can use to help me.
You should only approach him if he is stunned from a projectile. If he is waiting for you, then you know that he can not shield your attacks forever or f-tilt them forever too. So keep your distance and rain projectiles on him :o

L33teHaxor

Smash Apprentice
You should only approach him if he is stunned from a projectile. If he is waiting for you, then you know that he can not shield your attacks forever or f-tilt them forever too. So keep your distance and rain projectiles on him :o
I've tried that but he always gets by them somehow and I take damage instead of him.

Top Bottom