• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's u smash and d smash suck

seriously their SO weak. i mean i used an u smash undimished on kirby at 110% on final destination and he survived. i tried it again and it got weaker. d smash is fast but not a reliable kill move as its TOO weak. f smash i should say is on par with the most powerful smashes in ssbb 4 me but the start up lag gets frustratin after a while when i cant land it. anybody else think he only has 1 kill?

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
No.

Mario's U-Smash isn't a reliable kill move until 120%. D-Smash is only a kill move when fresh but it should be more used as a punisher since we don't have a d-tilt. Either way, U-Smash is a good kill move and I get plenty of kills from it.

Mario's main kills come from gimping anyhow. edgeguarding with B-air and U-air gives reliable KOs as well.

Killing isn't really a problem if you know how to combo well. I mean, you should be thanking the Brawl Gods that he got buffed from Melee where F-Smash truly was his only kill move.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Usmash trades off power for being a safe kill option. Usmash OOS rawks and only a little more lag than MKs Dsmash. But yeah, Hero got it right. You should be getting most of your kills through Fsmash, Usmash at higher %, and gimping. At much higher % like 150 and 160, practically everything kills.

Dory

Smash Journeyman
dsmash is amazing if you have the spacing.... and upsmash is a great kill move (like hero said at about 120%+) especially against characters that have a great recovery and cannot die from gimps or fsmash. good especially for kirby, jiggs, wario, ect ect

Usmash trades off power for being a safe kill option. Usmash OOS rawks and only a little more lag than MKs Dsmash. But yeah, Hero got it right. You should be getting most of your kills through Fsmash, Usmash at higher %, and gimping. At much higher % like 150 and 160, practically everything kills.
u mean when he runs and u smashes is safe? it is but i prefer foxs runnin u smash bcus marios speed when he runs is easily seen comin. with fox ur dead if youre not payin attention

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
Dsmash is probably my most used move on the ground next to utilt.

I never use usmash unless I want to kill, and don't just go running in for the hyphen smash >.>

Mind game your opponents into it ^^

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Mario's U-Smash has a quite disjointed hitbox. So much that if Ike's F-air spacing is not perfect, it can hit Ike. That says ALOT.

Fox's Up-Smash is better up front (it's weak at the back) while Mario's has a sweetspot at the back of it, but at the front it's still rather good.

Don't underestimate Mario's abilities. Keep in mind he's not supposed to be a character that has a "O SNAP!" move.

Besides the Cape that is.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
U-smash is really really good in Brawl.

It has great range (especially behind Mario), comes out REALLY fast, seems to have invul frames, it's great out of shield, and it reliably kills most characters at about 120%. The only drawback is that you must choose between using it for dealing damage, or keeping it undiminished for a kill. Keeping it undiminished fortunately isn't hard, and can be compensated for. Also, most people don't do this, but it is possible to hold the charge stance on a Dash Attack Cancel U-smash, and slide a pretty good distance. Anyhow, when I play against ROB for example, I always save my U-smash for the kill at about 128% or so. Against Ike however, I use to to punish him out of shield when he approaches. It's sick.

D-smash is also really good.

Comes out same speed as MK's D-smash, sends people at a fairly low angle. Very good for punishing from shield or spotdodge. Jab faking can combo into it sometimes. It's amazing for getting people away from you and off stage. While you can kill with this attack, it's so good for punishing people that you should use this for dealing damage. Btw, little known fact, but all of Mario's Smashes have more range than Luigi's. =)

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Does Usmash have a disjointed hitbox? Mine just clashed with a Marth doing Fsmash.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I think the head is invulnerable. Like in Melee. That's essentially disjointed.

But really, that case? That's just ground hitboxes clashing, which is pretty common. I think in general if two hitboxes on the ground collide at the same time, they clash. Dunno if there is another rule to that but I don't think your case has anything to do with Mario's U-smash being disjointed.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
This doesn't surprise me that Mario is the greatest Mario made this thread. D-smash is actually a good killing move if you don't spam it to weaken it. It comes out fast and has decent knockback. U-smash has good priority, range, and can be used as an anti-air at times because of that. They're both useful moves for Mario either way. To say they suck is like saying d-tilt is Mario's best move.

Peachkid

Smash Champion
NNID
Peachkid
3DS FC
0791-2008-8754
ok the reason why u think the d smash and usmash suck in killing power is because that guy is kinda fighting a DK, and last time i checked he was kinda heavy...

probably cause he was eating sandwiches with krystal...

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
ok the reason why u think the d smash and usmash suck in killing power is because that guy is kinda fighting a DK, and last time i checked he was kinda heavy...

probably cause he was eating sandwiches with krystal...
LOL! He just couldn't let Krystal eat her sandwich, could he? :laugh:

This doesn't surprise me that Mario is the greatest Mario made this thread. D-smash is actually a good killing move if you don't spam it to weaken it. It comes out fast and has decent knockback. U-smash has good priority, range, and can be used as an anti-air at times because of that. They're both useful moves for Mario either way. To say they suck is like saying d-tilt is Mario's best move.
i didnt mean it like that i meant their SO weak

Peachkid

Smash Champion
NNID
Peachkid
3DS FC
0791-2008-8754
How are they weak tho? in terms of damage or knockback? explain plz

Peachkid

Smash Champion
NNID
Peachkid
3DS FC
0791-2008-8754
did u use the usmash at all during that match? cause...at that dmg that kirby died at, im guessing u did

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
How is that even possible? I think you used U-smash and D-smash too much. In all my matches, that has never happened to me ever.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
U-smash and D-smash should kill Kirby at like 90-100% if you save them.

Kirby surviving to 150% from those attacks is ridiculous. Learn to save Smashes pls.

Matt07

Smash Master
Yea, it sounds like your having trouble with your smashes, unless the person your fighting has amazing DI, I can't see them lasting that long, try to keep your smashes fresh, d-smash I admit is really good for punishing, but you do have other moves to make up for it to get a K.O.

Takeshi245, d-tilt IS Mario's best move, watch this video Monk showed us, it will explain everything :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4tktxmnHf0

:laugh:.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Yea, it sounds like your having trouble with your smashes, unless the person your fighting has amazing DI, I can't see them lasting that long, try to keep your smashes fresh, d-smash I admit is really good for punishing, but you do have other moves to make up for it to get a K.O.

Takeshi245, d-tilt IS Mario's best move, watch this video Monk showed us, it will explain everything :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4tktxmnHf0

:laugh:.
Wow. All that editing sure did change my mind! (Sarcasm) I think this is a better video that shows an actual good use of d-tilt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mPTB3O1Msw&NR=1

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
Mario's good at giving out % fairly quickly if your able to connect with a combo string.

Dsmash is weak yes. If you use it for damage & punishment. Which is something I myself need to work on by using it less at times. But fresh, at the end of a stage, it'l KO at nice %'s.

Usmash is the sameway.

One of them things every dedicated Mario main need to work on. Deciding what move to stale for %, and what move to be the desired KO option. Plan ahead so you can set it up, you know. Otherwise you'l be connecting with whatevers easily possible at connecting, while the opponet at 150 plus%. Just chillin on yo as.

The Master of Mario

Smash Journeyman
Final Destination is more about edgegaurding.

Mario can KO with Blind U-air, F-air, Cape, and F-smash.
D-smash, D-air, U-smash KO more easily the closer the opponent is to the edge of the stage,
U-smash KO's earlier when the opponent is in the air above mario, D-smash KO's best when the opponent is near the edge.
Moves like D-smash and F-tilt can lead into edgegaurding. D-smash has the best KO power at the tip like U-smash. F-tilt is harder to DI out of range because it doesn't have as much knockback.
Fireballs and Punches can stun them long enough to miss the edge.

i guess i said their weak bcus i always seem 2 keep the fight in the center of final destination. anyways i use d smash 4 punishment. i dont really use u smash anymore but f smash is my favorite. i dont keep it fresh or abuse it but its still impossible 4 any1 2 survive this LETHAL move with 130%! not even the heavyweights

Oblique

Smash Apprentice
i use the dsamsh to end a combo. like jab>jab>crouch cancel>dsmash its better then the AAA combo. also it has nice range so u can attack out of a SH fire ball.

yea i don't use this move to kill its quick enough to combo so i leave it as a combo move.

the upsamsh is the same thing except it sets up for more combos (at low %). but i do use this move to kill sometimes.

Matt07

Smash Master
I keep my smashes fresh, but I'm having trouble hitting any smash at all. (Even d smash) at high percents. I'm horrible at predicting my opponent, and that's why they don't really get K.O'd till like 170% :(.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
I keep my smashes fresh, but I'm having trouble hitting any smash at all. (Even d smash) at high percents. I'm horrible at predicting my opponent, and that's why they don't really get K.O'd till like 170% :(.
Somethings wrong if you can't hit a downsmash. It's a great spacer. Have you tried stutter stepping your Fsmash?

Matt07

Smash Master
Yea, I always do stutter my fsmash, and they always shield it. They know Mario's K.O moves, so they just shield, and punish.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Yea, I always do stutter my fsmash, and they always shield it. They know Mario's K.O moves, so they just shield, and punish.
You've gotta get better at predicting. Apparently your opponent knows you too well to be surprised by what you're doing. You have to change up your playstyle or predict him better.

Top Bottom