• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's Toolkit - Moveset Analysis

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Sorry if my post is in a wrong thread but, which are the best Mario custom moves to use in a competitive scene? Like the second good gust cape, fast fire ball etc. Thanks!
Fast Fireball (Normal Fireball may be better when playing a rushdown style)
Gust Cape
High-Pressure FLUDD (I haven't experimented with FLUDD to be confident in this answer)
Explosive Jump Punch (I haven't unlocked this yet but considering this can combo into D-throw/D-tilt I'm confident this'll be the best option)

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
So according to @ Bedoop Bedoop , the default Cape has "bucket-braking" aspects to it. Can anyone test this out and get some data? I would, but no Wii U yet.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
So according to @ Bedoop Bedoop , the default Cape has "bucket-braking" aspects to it. Can anyone test this out and get some data? I would, but no Wii U yet.
I have the Wii U version, the Cape can still Bucket-Brake.
Dr. Mario's Super Sheet, however, can't. The Sheet still keeps most of Doc's Momentum.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I have the Wii U version, the Cape can still Bucket-Brake.
Dr. Mario's Super Sheet, however, can't. The Sheet still keeps most of Doc's Momentum.
Do you have any numbers on how much survivability it adds onto Mario? If it's anything like G&W in Brawl then Gust Cape is no longer a straight buff if you have to sacrifice that, and it would be my go-to special against characters like Ganon and Wario.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Do you have any numbers on how much survivability it adds onto Mario? If it's anything like G&W in Brawl then Gust Cape is no longer a straight buff if you have to sacrifice that, and it would be my go-to special against characters like Ganon and Wario.
I don't have exact numbers, but I've seen a few Mario Players (me included) survive a Ganondorf's FSmash at 120% (After the hit) with Cape-Braking from about the Middle of Final Destination as compared to us dying if we held nothing.
However, since Smash4 has a longer air-stun (you're stuck twirling for a bit) then in Brawl and no known way (atleast for now) to shorten it, the Cape can only come in handy in certain situations where if you can manage to break free from the air-stun, most of your momentum is gone anyway from holding the Control Stick in the opposite direction you were launched, and the only reason you could use your cape is to avoid cheap deaths in stages with small KO-Boxes like Orbital Gate Assault or to maybe survive a Meteor Smash at early %s, but it can save you in the bigger stages aswell.
The Gust Cape, along with the normal Cape, does break your Fastfall because it gives the little "hop" when you use it, but the Gust Cape still keeps most of your horizontal Momentum (it brakes you a little bit, but not enough to be noticable. It can save lives though, just not often.) The Shocking Cape keeps all of your momentum and doesn't give you the hop, so that Custom is the inferior Cape.

SirPulse

Smash Cadet
NNID
SirPulse
3DS FC
0490-6309-5461
has anyone confirmed if fludd still makes you heavier?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Shocking Cape I would actually consider against Marth, because it does 11 damage and actually serves well as a disjointed spacing tool. It's PUNISHABLE keep in mind, but due to its disjoint and damage, on top of the fact it does actually help your horizontal recovery as well as being a useful B reverse tool, it's a very useful custom. Custom Marth is unlikely to get gimped by Mario if he runs Dolphin Jump, and Gust Cape imo is not likely to gimp him, while the damage from Electric Cape and its disjoint gives you better punishes against Marth after you force him to approach around Fast Fireballs.

Plus if you're running Super Jump for better recovery and edgeguarding, Shocking Cape I believe is overall better than Gust Cape for killing people offstage.

Also, FLUDD does not make you heavier.

Last edited:

MEOW1337KITTEH

Smash Lord
NNID
daniel7001
I was trying to test the cape brake mechanics today, but I found nothing that indicated that it was actually stopping my momentum. I was testing in training mode and getting hit by a Mario dsmash with no di and then compared the effect of cape to see how much more longetivity it gave in stocked, but I found that the momentum boost that the cape gives at first typically kills before the momentum cancelling aspect comes into play. Was I doing something wrong, or is this more like Pikachu/R.O.B.'s MC from brawl over GnW?

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I tested it frequently. Cape Break doesn't exist. It was probably Vectoring at work before it was removed.

Nexelon

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nexelous
Mario in general, is a really balanced and freshly skilled character. The only issue about him is his down B.The F.L.U.D.D is seriously useless.... the only time it's useful is to push people away when they are trying to go back up, I don't even use it a lot.

To fix that, I'd say that Mario should have a little more buffs and have his forward a a bit quicker. And honestly, replace the F.L.U.D.D with the Mario Tornado. That move was the prime definition of him and now it's a down a since Brawl. It helped his recovery so much but I guess Mario is still Mario.

Maybe they can make the Mario Tornado like the spin from Super Mario Galaxy since there's stylish ways for the customs like the Stunning Mario Tornado or the Heavy Strike Tornado.

ChemicalExperiment

Smash Cadet
NNID
Scienceboy0
Mario in general, is a really balanced and freshly skilled character. The only issue about him is his down B.The F.L.U.D.D is seriously useless.... the only time it's useful is to push people away when they are trying to go back up, I don't even use it a lot.

To fix that, I'd say that Mario should have a little more buffs and have his forward a a bit quicker. And honestly, replace the F.L.U.D.D with the Mario Tornado. That move was the prime definition of him and now it's a down a since Brawl. It helped his recovery so much but I guess Mario is still Mario.

Maybe they can make the Mario Tornado like the spin from Super Mario Galaxy since there's stylish ways for the customs like the Stunning Mario Tornado or the Heavy Strike Tornado.
I've found F.L.U.D.D. pretty useful. He's really good for gimping recoveries that you normally can't with your cape. I use it a lot on Ganons, Bowser Jrs, and Samuses. Otherwise, it can be used nicely to set up an fsmash. While someone is heading towards you in the air, send out a fully charged F.LU.D.D. if you get the angling right, it will keep the opponent stuck in the same position long enough to pull out an fsmash. F.L.U.D.D. has his uses, and I love him. Plus, having at least some representation from Sunshine is a good thing.

Last edited:

Nexelon

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nexelous
Ah, I see. Maybe I should learn to adapt the F.L.U.D.D....

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
If you wanna learn about FLUDD, just go to the Brawl Mario forums. The argument that FLUDD is bad has been debunked years ago.

BSP

Smash Legend

Aside from the obvious edge guard application, try using FLUDD to:

Whiff punish characters like Marth, Lucina, the links, Samus, Mario, Luigi, DK, etc. for using up B in an offensive manner and missing. Since Mario is the only character with FLUDD, 95% of people will retreat to the ledge because no one else can punish it as hard. Push them past it.

Punish people for retreating to the ledge in general. It's harder to do with normal FLUDD, but HPFLUDD can push them pretty far, even in they air dodge into the ground to avoid some of the water.

Push people camping ledges against you off of the stage, if you're having significant trouble getting in otherwise.

NairWizard

Somewhere
So, Gust Cape has more use than I thought it did, mostly as a momentum-boosting tool for Mario. You can use it on stage to avoid problematic situations (like putting yourself within f-roll distance of characters with strong rolls), and you can use it offstage to both boost your recovery and to help you edgeguard. I don't mean gimping, I mean edgeguarding. You can face toward the stage, Gust Cape, and be launched slightly offstage. This gives your b-air added range, and SJP is good enough that you'll get back to the stage even if you go a bit deep.

Last edited:

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
These kill percents are terrible. Where did you test these? Palutena's temple? Up smash kills around 120-140. Fsmash kills around 90-120. Dsmash (back hit) kills around 110-130.

D

Deleted member

From Melee's Nintendo Power Player's Guide.

Weak Attacks

1-2-3:
Left Jab, Right Cross, Toe Kick

Strong Attacks
Upward: Uppercut
Forward: Plumber Kick
Downward: Leg Sweep

SMASH ATTACKS:
Upward:
Lead Headbutt
Forward: Fire Glove
Downward: Breakdance Sweep

Dash Attack: Slide

Aerial Attacks:
Center:
Plumber's Boot
Front: Plunger
Back: Drop Kick
Up: Bicycle Kick
Down: Drill Kick

Special Attacks
Standard B:
Fireball
Forward B: Cape
Upward B: Super Jump Punch
Downward B: Mario Tornado

Grapples and Throw Downs
Pummel:
Clutch Headbutt
Front: Heave-Ho
Back: Airplane Swing
Up: Mario Launch
Down: Down the Drain
Still remember these. Great name's Mario's Fire Glove was always my favourite, along with Lead Headbutt and Plunger. The name's rocked wish they stuck. But memorizing all if them would be overkill. FSmash, USmash, and Fair. are great enough. And they are awesome as they are!

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom