• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's Momentum "Braking"

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Ok, everyone's heard of "braking" momentum with aerials and stuff...well I found a good way to do it with Mario. If someone figured this out already, kudos to you but I'm posting it anyway.

Ok, just DI and use a Dair, and then a Fair. Alternatively you could do Dair to Up B but you'd be a sitting duck in the air for a long time afterwards.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I usually just Uair, then DJ after I've regained control. Dair -> Fair is better?

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I can't do Nair. I'd have to have my control stick in neutral to pull it off...all time when I could be DIing. If you haven't already, you should try Uair Hero...it's just as fast as Nair, except you can do it with Cstick as you DI in the right direction.

Unless, of course, J.J.'s idea works better.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
You're supposed to choose your fastest aerial for this. Uair -> Double Jump is the way to go with Mario.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
I thought DAir came out faster than up air lol. I was gonna make a thread like this but wasn't sure if it was worth it. I read A2's bucket braking in GaW boards where you Nair then use the bucket to completely stop your momentum.

So I thought of that, and though why not use the cape or fludd to stop your momentum? did anyone happen to try this? Or is mindless upair spam or using DJ to stop ur momentum better?

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I thought DAir came out faster than up air lol. I was gonna make a thread like this but wasn't sure if it was worth it. I read A2's bucket braking in GaW boards where you Nair then use the bucket to completely stop your momentum.

So I thought of that, and though why not use the cape or fludd to stop your momentum? did anyone happen to try this? Or is mindless upair spam or using DJ to stop ur momentum better?
Uair usually comes out quicker than cape. I usually want to save my one good cape till recovery either way.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
I tried Uair but it didn't seem to work as well, so far Dair to Fair is the best way I've found. I was able to survive G&W's Fsmash at 95 percent from the center of FD using this.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I tried Uair but it didn't seem to work as well, so far Dair to Fair is the best way I've found. I was able to survive G&W's Fsmash at 95 percent from the center of FD using this.
I'll try it out then. Nice find Judge XD

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Using aerials when getting hit by an attack will reduce your momentum and could allow you to live longer (I've gotten my Kirby to live up to 190% against an Ike with using this properly). We're trying to find out the best way to do this with Mario.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Can someone explain to me what this whole braking thing is? Because when I came into this topic I was severely confused >_>
Basically a way to reduce knockback and live longer, like G&W's Bucket Braking just instead of Nair you use Dair and instead of the Bucket you use Fair.

J-Prep

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jiggy_lsn
great find judge, but i think i have an alternative of my own...

just kick down the wii, pray the game skips while trying to read it, and deliever a chuck norris roundhouse kick to your opponent

its been tested and does work on humans.

Matt07

Smash Master
Dude, I'm sorry...Bruce Lee beat Chuck Norris in a movie. So everything Chuck Norris can do Bruce Lee can do better :bee:.

So Bruce Lee round house kick would...pwn.

Dory

Smash Journeyman
if you wanna do this "braking" thing to help you guys DI you guys should use uair instead of dair. The reason game and watch goes nair+bucket is because nair is his fastest aerial since it comes out the fastest and ends the fastest that will allow you to do a move once its done, like bucket and bucket so happens to stop your momentum (both vertical and horizontal). Dair is a fast aerial but uair is faster (prove me wrong, cause if i am i really wanna know xD lol) and since uair will finish faster it will allow you to do a move (like g&w) and then fair. Fair will stop your momentum (not as good as bucket but it gets the job done).

Matt07

Smash Master
Hmm...this is interesting. Would the Up Air THEN Cape be better because the Cape gives you momentum? I know Hippiedude thought it would, but I'm curious as well.

Edit: 1k posts, I'm now a 'Smash Lord' :bee:.

Dory

Smash Journeyman
hmmm well fair is to STOPS your momentum and if you say cape GIVES you momentum then thats not good lol

basically DI good, or do this lol

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
I've been doing this for a while now. What I mostly do if I'm smashed upward is keep using Dair until I feel I'm safe. If someone follows me, and they get caught up in my tornado while I'm so high I usually get a free KO.
Also...
I just c-stick the direction of the stage xD
At min 2:13 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2qZ-_m8rYY

Does caping brake momentum too? I haven't bothered trying it that way.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Guys, the best way to momentum brake is DI, U-air, fastfall, and Cape.

Matt07

Smash Master
Hmm...I was fiddeling around with it, and I kept dying at the same %'s. I use d-air and Cape, then u-air and Cape.

Again no results :ohwell:, I never get any good results :laugh:.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I only see subtle differences when I use these, but it's better than just DI.
Thanks. :laugh:

J-Prep

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jiggy_lsn
but if you get sent all the way into the blast zone, and u use your one good cape trying to brake your momentum, wouldnt that make getting back onto the stage a pretty hard task also?

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
but if you get sent all the way into the blast zone, and u use your one good cape trying to brake your momentum, wouldnt that make getting back onto the stage a pretty hard task also?
Exactly what I figured. I save my one good cape till I really need it. Otherwise it's only good for stalling.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
*Bump*

Has anyone found anything else that works as well/better yet?

Edit: Double post because of bump lol

Top Bottom