• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's KO Ability

elitemperor

Smash Rookie
Now, in all the FAQs and guides I read on Mario, I read that he has bad KO ability. However, I have found that Mario is one of the easiest to KO with. Maybe it is because I don't play against what you would consider "pro" players, but if I can get someone up to 50-60%, KO is as easy as a few aerials finalized with an f-smash.

Can someone explain to me how Mario's KO ability is lacking?

PrinceZane

INNsomniac
BRoomer
Mario's main problem is that his back throw and Fsmash are his 2 main finishers (other than caping a recovery, which is almost as sexy as Jigg's rest ;)). The problem with each, to make it quick, is that his f'smash HAS to be sweet spotted as well as undi'd for it to do much, and his back throw has such a long windup that its impossible to NOT di out of it.

Smash Journeyman
guys lol he wouldnt know that no offense. marios fsmash it almost bring you to tears when its di'ed or isnt sweet spotted.

and if you can't get a caped recovery or a perfect fsmash or bthrow consider it a long match cuz mario's moves severly lack the power to kill untill very high percentages.

Towel King

Smash Rookie
Are we forgetting all the amazing edge guards he can pull off, or is that not considered a KO? @.@

I've found repetitive bairs enough to finish off plenty of enemies.

Well, excluding Jigglypuff, Kirby, etc. Then you're pretty much screwed. >.<

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Usually what I tell people regarding this is, it's the opponent's choice whether or not he gets hit by an fsmash. Dsmash, back throw and edge guarding all require either very high damage, or situational success.

If the opponent decides he wants to get hit by a sweet spotted undi'd fsmash, then congrats, you unlocked Mario's kill move ;)

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
I have to agree with Scav on this one. Honestly, all of Mario's high-knockback moves (d-smash, u-smash, b-throw, sex kick) are all either situational (like u-smash, which works on low-ceilings/floaties), have relatively low knockback (sex kick/d-smash), or can be DI'd so that the move really isn't worth using if you want to net a KO (b-throw).

F-smash is pretty much the only thing Mario has, and even though it's reasonably effective as a KO move (despite the fact that it can be easily DI'd and has an annoying sweetspot), the main problem is that setting up for a f-smash is nigh impossible.

Proper DI (so long as you DI away from shffl'd u-air and down) means that landing a f-smash, up-angled or not, is pretty much out of the question. Combo'ing into it is incredibly difficult because of this, and even when you can combo into it (i.e. d-throw -> f-smash on Sheik, Ganon, YL), sweetspotting and DI makes it completely unreliable.

So, just like Scav says, people basically have to want to get hit by f-smash, from a certain point of view. It's basically just a version of Roy's f-smash--the only reliable way to hit with it is to simply mindgame it into whatever you're doing. When it lands, you're ecstatic. Otherwise, the move itself just plain sucks. Which basically describes Mario's f-smash to a tee.

zelazon

Smash Apprentice
maybe those percentages when not di'ed, but it takes a bit higher to kill and you'll need to learn wd if you want to catch people with it. For me, I focus on combos before attempting the f-smash.

Super Mari0

Smash Journeyman
well i think marios KO abilitys are fine...theyre not the best but...

his sweetspot isnt THAT annoying and anyway it has a long reach

His smash downwards is also a good finish right? anyway it has also a very long reach too

his B-Throw is also a good finish and if the opponent survives then Mario can use his excellent Bair to edge guard...

or if hes a fox ,ganondorf, Falcon or a falco for example he can use his Cape as an edgeguard

his upsmash is good for combos but not as a finisher...

i dont have alot of problems with marios KO abilities theyre not bad
and his smash forwards and downwards are pretty fast too
maybe i need to fight aginst some real pros to excperience Marios ''bad'' KO abilities

im just assuming that his finishers are good not bad

Top Bottom