• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's Best Team Mate?

TyrantX

Smash Apprentice
I have this same topic in the Ganondorf thread and it's quite succesful so I thought I would ask all the mario players who they think Mario's best team mate is. If this topic has been created befor then i'm sorry. The search tool didn't yeild any results so I thought I would ask.

I have been playing Mario competitivly for almost as long as I have been playing Ganon, and I was wandering what were all your thoughts on the subject?

I personally have had a great time useing JugglyPuff as a team mate. She can combo really well and that racks up the damage for me to KO.

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
I like Fox.

Shines and Capes FTW

It really adds a couple of great finishing moves since Mario really doesn't have any.

TyrantX

Smash Apprentice
I strongly agree! Fox is a pretty good team mate. You can get the fox to rack up damege and smash em off so that Mario can run up for the cape kill!

I hope other people give their input aswell. :)

xeoii

Smash Rookie
Though as trite as the Duo seems.... Luigi is fun to pair up with Mario. Since their moves are a lot alike, keeping them right behind each other following up with the same move gives their moves either double power or longer time of effect. Mario's Cape can swing out past Luigi if Mario stoof behind him, as well as Luigi's A combo's reach. This let's the other charge up a smash.

TyrantX

Smash Apprentice
Your right. You can also (if team attack is on) have Luigi rocket at you and then Mario can cape him so that he turns around right into the opponant! That would be a very fun move to pull off. Mabye not a very strong or good combo but a very fun one non e the less.

Player00

Smash Journeyman
Peach FTW. Peach is the utlimate team mate for every character (almost). She is #1 in the team-tier-list IMO. Go with her, you will be satisfied. Her DSmash, recovery, rediculous hitboxes, and overall cheapness totally **** in teams.

Jiikae

Typing of the Red
Mario is mario's best teammate. Mario is a really good damage builder. But does not have good KO power. Imagine TWO mario's. It sounds stupid but hey.

TyrantX

Smash Apprentice
You have somthing there, that would be a pretty good team to play. The main reason that I main with Mario is because he is very manuverable and acrobatic. He is not too heavy, and not too lite. He does have some good KO Power. His F-smash and Fair are really good. Also so are his D-smash and his U-smash.

Jiikae

Typing of the Red
Ha you just named the only attacks that can KO decently except for ihs B throw. D smash not that good.

supermariopro101

Smash Journeyman
Jeike said:
Mario is mario's best teammate. Mario is a really good damage builder. But does not have good KO power. Imagine TWO mario's. It sounds stupid but hey.
Completely agree :) My friend also plays Mario on 2 vs. 2 match-ups and I must say: uair with one Mario to the Mario above him who fairs while the grounded Mario then grabs the opponent followed by backthrow. Owned!!!

xeoii

Smash Rookie
Dude, the D smash rocks in my opinion. Granted it isn't the greatest of smashes, but breakdancing the opp is a good way to put some space b/w you and the opp is you need a breather. It's definitely a good crowd control too.

SOLAR

Smash Ace
Mario is definately my favourite 1v1 character. The fact is however, Mario is not a good choice in teams. He's too lunky and immobile to help an ally, someone with greater precision and mobillity would be better. Jigglypuff and Fox are my two teams characters. I do agree that Peach is an excellent teams char. Don't become so biased to one character that you don't want to learn others, by the way.

technomancer

Smash Champion
The best teammate is a friend that you practice with consistantly!!

Other tips; try to pick a teammate whose hitboxes occupy different areas than your hitboxes. This way opponents need to adapt, and will make mistakes while adapting. For instance, Fox/Pikachu is bad because they both juggle lots and shffl nairs. Both of these characters will have a rough time against a powerful, floaty, confident opponent like Samus or Marth, and therefore your team is easily countered. DK and Pikachu, however, is an excellent team, as DK can handle a strong ground grab and combo/whiff punishing game while Pika can add the pressure. Opponents will find that spamming a particular style will not work against this team; for instance, A Falco/Falco team could not laserspam DK because Pika would be in their face; a dual Marth team could not keep pika at bay because of the Monkey's punishing bairs and throw combos, followed by well timed.

In this sense, I feel that Gannon is the best teammate for Mario. M can handle the projectile and edgeguard game and take over against low damage opponents with his speed and comboing ability, and also his fthrow and bthrow can lead directly into Ganon's shffled fair, bair or stomp for huge damage and KO power. Learn to spot-dodge Gannon's down-B to get a pesky Marth or Peach off your tail. M-Dsmash to G-fair > lone opponents. Issues here might include that neither is particularly good for fighting two opponents because of their low speed, and Gannon's recovery is very stompable/edgeguardable, and Mario will not be able to support him well while he's recovering.

I think a Gannon second is an excellent counter for top opponent picks like Peach, Sheik, and other Gannons. You may have some trouble against space animals.

To counter Marth, I'd select Sheik or Falco for their needles/SHL.

Peach is the best space animal counter! Her downsmash ***** all, and her arials have similar hitboxes to gannon's. Try this one out: M-Fthrow to P-Float-canceled Fair to M-Dsmash to P-Whatever (Dsmash/Fsmash/Dash attack). May be able to grab again or Fsmash FTW.

To counter Docs or Samuses, another Mario/Doc for caping action. Prefer doc for his better fmash against Samuses and for his pills to cancel missiles, but Mario against Doc for better edgeguarding/recovery. Jiggly's also great here to puff punch and bair/fair pressure projectile spammers. My favorite thing ever is to bthrow jiggly at an opponent! Puff projectile and she comes out swingin'!

Against C. Falcon, Jiggly is also good. Making C.F. whiff and outprioritizing him is key. Peach is also good.

SOLAR: I strongly disagree that Mario is not team-ready. 1) Mario has amasing tie-up and damage racking power, with good, quick edgeguarding. 2) Mario can play on a tight stage; he doesn't hog space so team attack won't get him owned. Ban FD. 3) You're right, Mario isn't great support. That's because his teammate is the support! Mario can take the lead against two opponents, using his cape, grabs, quick smashes and fast combos to make a wall between two opponents and your ally; who can snipe/disable. With team attack off, Mario/Samus is disgusting. Mario/Fox is similarly awesome. Team attack on? Fox, Gannon, Falco, Doc, Jiggly (anyone with a good finisher and a good air game) are all great picks. What say you?

KAIYO

Smash Apprentice
The Hidden Leaf Village of Konoha aka San Jose, Ca
TyrantX said:
You have somthing there, that would be a pretty good team to play. The main reason that I main with Mario is because he is very manuverable and acrobatic. He is not too heavy, and not too lite. He does have some good KO Power. His F-smash and Fair are really good. Also so are his D-smash and his U-smash.
Yeah that's because Mario has no real counters. The creators put him in the game as an average character, no big special qualities but he's still really good in the eyes of many.

For his best teammate, I would say... Marth(of course it depends on stage and who you're against) but if it's somewhere like FD, I say Samus.

King Malice

Smash Ace
KAIYO said:
Yeah that's because Mario has no real counters. The creators put him in the game as an average character, no big special qualities but he's still really good in the eyes of many.

For his best teammate, I would say... Marth(of course it depends on stage and who you're against) but if it's somewhere like FD, I say Samus.
In ALL Nintendo games Mario is the all-around character, it's great.

C Falcon is a good match-up for Mario because they are both air whores, Falcon just has a little kick with his Airs though. Mario builds up damage, Falcon is the finishing blow.

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
When I teamed with The Cape in a local NY tourney it was some of the most fun I've ever had in teams.

nux23

Smash Ace
I would say link. Me and my friend(me:mario him:link) PWN with that team. our fave move is for me to grab and link tjust keep tapping A for as long as possible we go up to 200% doing that(PWNAGE) Also a three way team of mario link and fox for more PWNAGE. link stabs i grab and fox(input a synonym for shoot that rhymes with grab and stabs.)

technomancer

Smash Champion
nux, in response, alot of characters can pull that off; actually, any character with a repeatable attack, like fox or C.Falcon. The Ice Climbers also have a grab infinite done similarly. But I didn't even think of Link! All sorts of fun stuff to be had there. Link is excellent wide area Ground control with projectile spam and stall, and unlike Marth, he hitboxes don't intersect with Mario's full jump. Imagine spin cancelling with fireballs, or Link's Uthrow to Mario's fair to spin near an edge.

Even better, flag link in the middle of his dsmash to reverse the hitbox and hit a low dmg fastfaller twice with a low cooldown attack that can combo into a spin, fsmash, or possibly another dsmash.

OR DSMASH TO Mario FAIR TO SPIN AHAHAHAHAH someone go make it a video now.

supermariopro101

Smash Journeyman
After lost in deep though(okay, not really), I have come to the decision that Mario and Mario vs. random characters is the best team, mathmatically.

Proof:
1. Mario is the most balanced charcter in Melee. He has no weaknesses(save KO's) or strengths so he has no holes that a teammate must fill with another character for the best option. Usually someone slow with someone who is fast cancels out leaving a balanced team. Mathmatically speaking, it makes sense. But the world of Melee is not consecutive and so random that this will simply not yield the best team. But when brought with Mario who has no strengths or weaknesses, it becomes logical. We then arrive at the conclusion that Mario+Mario=best team since it is probably the closest to zero (the middle) that a balanced team can yield.

Moral: Balanced Character + Balanced Character = nothing more or less than two balanced characters.

2. Probably the most obvious reason is YOU KNOW ALL OF HIS MOVES!!! You should know the trajectory of the move and what Mario does before he uses a specific attack. Knowing the trajectory of a move yields combos not possible in 1vs. 1 obviously.

DokturSea

Smash Lord
Well, I've found that it's nice to have a big, powerful teammate with good finishing moves to KO your foe after you've racked up the damage with Mario. But that's just me.

Gea

Smash Master
As its been said, anyone with really strong kill moves.

Ganon, Peach, Marth, Fox, and Samus are really good, and probably in that order.

Jigg

Smash Journeyman
even tho its been said.. like 50 times (i exagerate, so excuse me) samus is an awesome teamate, especially when ff is off, but still wicked awesome when ff if on. i usally play 2vs1 (my 2 friends, mario and samus, vs me, who is usually jiggly) and even tho they have almost no idea what they are doing (they dont use too many "pro" tactics), the can still come pretty close to beating me because of the simple fact that even if i evade a missile or charge shot from samus, mario can bounce it back and hit me (sometimes) and once again, its been said, but mario is awesome at building damage, and samus is a great way to get the kill.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Player00 said:
Peach FTW. Peach is the utlimate team mate for every character (almost). She is #1 in the team-tier-list IMO. Go with her, you will be satisfied. Her DSmash, recovery, rediculous hitboxes, and overall cheapness totally **** in teams.
I agree 100% with this guy.

One-Winged-Angel

Smash Rookie
I pretty much agree with most of what's been said thus far about this topic. Ganon is a great partner, so is Peach, Marth, Jiggs, Sheik, Falco, Fox, Link, and another Mario, all for very good reasons already mentioned. Nobody has said anything of the good Doctor though! Basically a slightly slower Mario with a bit less jump and a lot more power! D-smash faster than anybody, f-air to **** their **** up! Bigger sheet than the cape, different trajectory on the pills...all sorts of great things! Especially if you can time it to where you can spam the pills AND fireballs simotaneously without them hitting each other. Now THAT'S a blockade! Am I missing anything?

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
How do you guys feel about Doc vs. Mario for teams? Mario is a little faster and able to build damage better, and fireball works better as a lifesaver than the pill. But Doc has the KO power.

IMO Mario works a bit better as a support character, edgeguarding, pressuring, and building damage. Doc excels in spacing and KO's and has a great edgeguarding game as well. Depending your partner I think each one has some strategical advantages.

My bro and I are starting to get some tournament experience, but have never played much teams before. He plays Ness and is working on Kirby/Falcon a bit for teams. My teams characters are going to be Doc/Mario, Ganon, Zelda, Samus(I'm pretty horrible with Samus but she makes a nice support character and lifetank). Any pointers?

Also, how about Luigi as a partner?

Scrubs

Smash Lord
Peach
Fox
Samus

In that order.... Peach is just an all round great teams character... Fox can finish off marios combos...Samus is another all round teams character, she lives really long lives and has decent KO power. Also Mario can cape Samus' missiles and charge shot as a mind game.

I think Doc is alot better in teams than Mario.. Just because he can kill at lower %'s

icy_icicle

Smash Journeyman
^Exactly. Peach is the way to go...Grab+Dsmash is amazing...and she's hard to kill, so if you screw up and hit her it's not that bad.

technomancer

Smash Champion
Remember that Doc dies a good bit easier too. Mario has much more on the ways of the defensive going for him.

Superstarmario

Smash Journeyman
How about DK? If you are a pair good at working together, DK can attack in earnest with his range while Mario combos. And parlor Cape tricks make fun Giant Punch setups.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Fox makes a good partner...Mario can add the damage and have Fox execute the kills.
Also, me and Mr. X like to do our cool combo where I grab him, throw down, immediately down B, then when Fox jumps asap, he does a super jump and can do a surprize attack against ppl who are higher up. Damages my teammate but as long as it works, thats alright.

Top Bottom