• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's backup plan?

Yanoss1313

Smash Journeyman
Ok, I've got a friend who's only just getting into a higher level of play (like entry level for tournaments, not top 8 at all, but can hold his own ok)

He main's Mario, loves him, and is starting to get pretty good with him. The only problem is when we play, i can switch out like 9 different characters and keep playing just fine, while he's really only stuck with Mario.

My question is this: What's a good secondary for an intermediate Mario player to learn?

GeZ

Smash Lord
Ok, I've got a friend who's only just getting into a higher level of play (like entry level for tournaments, not top 8 at all, but can hold his own ok)

He main's Mario, loves him, and is starting to get pretty good with him. The only problem is when we play, i can switch out like 9 different characters and keep playing just fine, while he's really only stuck with Mario.

My question is this: What's a good secondary for an intermediate Mario player to learn?
Mario doesn't have any really crippling matchups, so your friend could just hold down the fort with the plumber if he felt so inclined.

Yanoss1313

Smash Journeyman
Mario doesn't have any really crippling matchups, so your friend could just hold down the fort with the plumber if he felt so inclined.
yeah, that's true, but it's more a case of getting bored being of only Mario in like a 4 hour session

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
yeah, that's true, but it's more a case of getting bored being of only Mario in like a 4 hour session
I make a habit of getting my footing down with Mario, as well as trying out many others so I can get some basic understanding of how other characters function and know what to look out for. After I started feeling confident enough with Mario, I branched into Game and Watch, Donkey Kong, Pit, Sonic, and lately I've been trying to get an understanding for Pikachu.

Overall, Mario's weaknesses are not so massive that he really needs an alt to back him up, but it wouldn't hurt to go with someone who does not play similarly at all, if your friend can confidently play someone else who feels so massively different. As far as different goes, I'd recommend Wario or Diddy Kong. Granted, there are other characters that are very much different from Mario, that's just who comes to mind at the moment.

SmashAmass

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2191-7637-6640
As far as different goes, I'd recommend Wario or Diddy Kong. Granted, there are other characters that are very much different from Mario, that's just who comes to mind at the moment.
Actually... Diddy is pretty similar to Mario! They have the same wavedash, approach options, similar projectiles, similar combo ability, and close to the same weight class (although Diddy balances out with more projectiles and better spacing game, yet his killing power leaves something to be desired). If you're going from Mario, who I also main, maybe just try picking up some other lightweights like Marth, Shiek, Luigi, etc. Playing similar weight classes gives you a smoother transistion, and usually helps you find your core character. I am still working on Luigi and Shiek, but the best thing you can do is just practice each character individually. Urge him to try out a characters moves and study up, you never know what you're gonna find!

Top Bottom