• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario vs. Metaknight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
This has got to be one of Mario's worst match-ups. Just look at him, for crying out loud! His aerial priority beats out yours, his attacks are faster, and his recovery is ridiculous. Sure, you're stronger, but that doesn't really help. For me, I usually just use bair for both offense and defense and use fireballs to make approaching me more difficult. For some reason, I've beaten Metaknights by fighting offensely rather than defensely on Wi-Fi. For example, I was fighting Zephyr in one match and he 3-stocked me on Smashville. The next match, I decided to be more offense and use more mindgames. I 1-stocked him on FD because of that. I had to go after that, though. So tell me. What do you do against Metaknight?

???????

Smash Journeyman
Here's my strategy:

Start out with fireball spam and counter his approach as needed; fireballs will force Meta Knight to either use a Mach Tornado or approach with an aerial (Mach Tornado has less priority than your Dair, and F.L.U.D.D. will restrict most aerial approaches) which will allow you to set-up attacks on him. Approaching with fireballs is also good and will also set-up most of your attacks.

You can fight Meta Knight decently in the air but you have to time your attacks so you can keep up with the rhythm of his attack speed (This sounds difficult, but Meta Knight has small, sluggish midair jumps which make it possible to counter his fast attacks). However, good Meta Knights may incorporate gliding into their air game to make up for this weakness but if they glide too much they will be put into helpless.

Meta Knight is difficult to gimp because of glide but the best way to gimp him is by trying to make him use up his jumps:

Good Meta Knights will most likely abuse their glide so you have to of mastered the Cape Glide to truly have a chance to gimp them. You can use the Cape Glide to quickly cape and spike a Meta Knight but you want to focus on making a Meta Knight use up their jumps first (F.L.U.D.D. and fireballs can greatly disrupt Meta Knight's jumps). Your aerials will be too slow to edgeguard effectively against a good Meta Knight (Gliding will allow Meta Knights to dodge most of your aerials) but F.L.U.D.D. is very good for ruining Meta Knight’s midair jumps. After Meta Knight has ran out of jumps he will either be forced to use Shuttle Loop, Drill Rush, Dimension Cape, or glide (Mach Tornado may be used for mindgames but it isn’t really an effective recovery method) but all of these moves, except Mach Tornado (Which can be spiked and stopped by F.L.U.D.D.), can be caped effectively; most of Meta Knight’s moves can be caped but you’ll most likely have to use the Cape Glide to quickly cape Meta Knight to make sure he can’t DI enough to avoid you.

When being edgeguarded by Meta Knight, use fireballs, the cape, and the F.L.U.D.D. to divert Meta Knights aerials.

Overall, Meta Knight is difficult to face but he has some exploitable weaknesses (Don't underestimate Meta Knight but don't overestimate him either).

*Use good spacing when fighting Meta Knight and abuse your projectiles*

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
i spar against a meta knight user everyday. i use short hopped n airs and i spam fireballs like crazy. dsmash is sometimes good after sh fireballs. mario can also ko him at very low percents. just don't try to fight him high in the air. he isnt too hard to edgeguard either. caping any of his b moves will leave him screwed. up b is hard to go up against but if u feel ur oponent is about to use it for recovery, block it then quickly cape him if u can. its not 100% but it works for me

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
My tactics after struggling with meta,

Usually defensively, LEARN HOW TO SHIELD!!!! Learn every single concept of using the shield. Shield dashing to jabs for instance. Also, another example would be to shield dash to a grab in a way that you extend your grab by sliding a bit with the shield dash and not pressing the a button too quickly (basically do this instead of dash grabbing since it sucks)and fthrow, you can do about three chain grabs with this, especially if you do this after a good fireball spam. Sorry if this isn't clear, if it isn't let me know.

RAR your bair.

WOP tactics with bair for spacing, definitely keep your distance from him.

FIREBALL SPAM LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!!!! USE IT TO APPROACH, ALSO USE IT INBETWEEN YOUR COMBO SETS. ESPECIALLY USE IT TO RECOVER AND TO INTERUPT META. IF ANYTHING, YOUR FIREBALLS ARE META'S WEAKNESS, HE'S TOO SLOW TO DODGE THEM ALL!!

Keep mario in motion, move around a lot!!! Roll away from meta, short hop air dogde to shield, play around with fludd in mid air while DIing, mess around with the dair to move about, anything to make yourself less upredictable. However, do not use a mid air cape stall to play mind games with meta unless you feel the need to do so, meta will fair you to bits if you do...

Bair to flare, single jab to ftilt or dsmash, should be your standard combos, don't make it predictable though. Usmash is good for kills too, stutter step with the usmash if meta short hops often...

Use a fully charged flood wisely to create space, for example, if meta uses his fsmash spray em...

Meta sucks off the edge, hit him with a meteor and its cookies!!! I've pulled of a horizontal fair into a vertical fair in one match before and it was like complete pawnage. Instant meta KO!!

Just remember that it is possible for mario to be meta, although you'll probably have a grudge against sakurai for making another unfair match up in brawl. keep playing against meta and improve your defensive/evasive play with mario, GOOD LUCK...

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
This matchup isn't quite as bad as G&W at least.

You can at least throw Fireballs against Metaknight and force him to approach you. G&W is much harder because you will get punished for throwing too many Fireballs.

bluebolt

Smash Journeyman
This matchup isn't quite as bad as G&W at least.

You can at least throw Fireballs against Metaknight and force him to approach you. G&W is much harder because you will get punished for throwing too many Fireballs.
lol, yeah with the bucket n all xD

Ranjiz

Smash Apprentice
i once happened to beat G&W but it was a close game. I was very smart with using fireball when he was close to me enough to interrupt his move and approach with U-smash when I looked like I was going to use fireball.

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
What I do is when the match starts right away I shoot a fire ball then run at him and when I go for a slide attack he might jump instead of a roll dodge, so then I jump then get ready for a dodge or just get hit, but I'll do a drop kick dodge till I back on the ground then just run at him, might do a side B or meta spin so then when he does one of those he can't attack after doing those in till he touches the ground so I go for an attack and then after that I might just wait for that opening again and try to win. When using Mario I just reflect his drill attack and wait till he at least a little lagy.

Matt07

Smash Master
Mars16, it would've been better if you posted this in the match-up thread, just because the last time someone posted here was almost a year ago.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Mars has this really, really bad habit of bumping very old threads.

Please keep all discussion in current threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom