• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario vs Falco. Is it all in my head?

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
I'm no stranger to Mario, but I've noticed that I myself don't too well against Falco. I don't mean to say I get completely and utterly destroyed against him, I just mean I see that I can't do what I normally do against others as effeictvly against Falco.

Ok he is Top Tier (5) and Mario is Low (29) but does the difference in tier make the difference in match-up THAT drastic? I do pretty well against other Top/High characters I play against.

So is Mario natuarlly at a disadvantage against Falco? Or is it all in my head?

Note - I don't have the time to delve too deep into things like match-ups and stuff like that so that's probably why I don't know.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
It's a hard match-up...probably one of the hardest hands down...Falco can laser spam faster than you can cape...and if you get close enough to attack...he can side-b past you and proceed to laser spam more...

however if you can manage to get some low% ******** kills the match becomes a little more bearable

Also...Tiers really don't mean much...

vato_break

Smash Master
i think you can duck under lazers as low as they go you can duck them.Also i tend to spam fireballs when getting close and i try to take a little damage for those falcos who like to chain grab. They will probably hyphen smash alot too spam lazers.or grab >hyphen smash.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
i think you can duck under lazers as low as they go you can duck them.Also i tend to spam fireballs when getting close and i try to take a little damage for those falcos who like to chain grab. They will probably hyphen smash alot too spam lazers.or grab >hyphen smash.
You can duck under the lasers...however there is a frame when Mario pops his head up that he can get hit from....also Falco can run up and wreck your **** when you duck

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
It's a hard match-up...probably one of the hardest hands down...Falco can laser spam faster than you can cape...and if you get close enough to attack...he can side-b past you and proceed to laser spam more...

however if you can manage to get some low% ******** kills the match becomes a little more bearable

Also...Tiers really don't mean much...
Alright, so I'm not crazy. xD Thanks for that.

I agree with the last part, I mean Bowser destorys Meta Knight. My friend plays an amazing Brawl Bowser and he has no problems against Meta Knight at all and some have been AMAZING Meta Knights and he's 2 or even 3 Stocked them. UpB out of Shield, ftw.

But I might anger the Pro-Tier gods and have the ban hammer dropped upon me.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
also Falco can run up and wreck your **** when you duck
Indeed...cuz Dtilt is so craptastic.

My main problem vs Falco is how well he can rack up damage. His KO power isn't anything to brag about, but his lasers and OOS options help make that much easier.

Basically, keep your Fludd charged and go for your gimps. Read him right and make him fear your offstage game. Space your Stutterstepped Fsmash well so that you can land a few near around 80% and score some earlier kills. He's pretty heavy too, and his shine doesn't break out of combos (to my knowledge), so you can combo him pretty well with only Nair and Dair to worry about; both easily shieldgrabbed. Don't get grabbed under 45% or that CG will **** your stock.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
I've had some issues with Falco because his side-b has a lot of priority. Besides Cape, does anyone know any moves that can cut through it? I can't edgeguard him well.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
I've had some issues with Falco because his side-b has a lot of priority. Besides Cape, does anyone know any moves that can cut through it? I can't edgeguard him well.
FLUDD. While it may take some timing to get the actual gimp down you can use it so stall the approach and bring him up in the air a bit. He'll then go into a Special fall infront of you. Punish him with a cape as he DI's to the ledge or Fsmash if he falls toward you or in an area of your Fsmashes range.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Tbh, falco looks pretty easy to me. The only problem I have is getting through lazer spam if I'm reckless, and his racking up damage abilities. IIRc, Nair/upb can break out of chaingrab, falco's easy to juggle and combo. You have alot of offstage options against him. Usually I predict where he uses his sideb, but its a pain in the *** when your dealing with a lag-less phantasm -.-

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Fire ball approaches give Falco trouble. Because his reflector sucks so much, it actually works on him. This can screw up his laser spam.

His chain grab (from my experience) doesn't work so well on Mario. I can usually get off after two throws.

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
I too have never had a problem with Falco.

All in all, Falco is very cape-able. Lasers, ground game, air game, and recovery all fall before the cape.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Since Mario has invincibility frames just like Marth's, Mario can Up-B out of the chaingrab.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Falco isn't too hard but he's tricky. Falco's lasers can be caped consecutively but not by simply spamming the cape consecutively, you need to sync the cape with his lasers which is easy standing still but very difficult otherwise. Falco's reflector is annoying but the best way to think of it is like Samus's Zair except more punishble. Falco KO power is decent but you can KO him earlier than he can KO you. Falco's annoying move is his CG, just try not to get spiked out of it. Mario is swifter in the air than Falco but you still need be careful or his lasers and reflector. Falco is easy to gimp but you have to be fast. Falco has slightly better reach than Mario but Mario has better overall priority. Also, Falco is suceptable to FIHL and the FLUDD cannot be reflected by Falco's reflector.

Oblique

Smash Apprentice
I have never faced a Falco but i can say is pick a stage with panels. this can defeat laser spamming to a point. As for the chain grab I would try to get some dmg from the lasers (about 30%) only because then he can't use his chain grab to spike combo. Basically use the cape or just edge hog him.

p.s- use fireballs to start up combos.

p.p.s- I don't think the tier list makes any difference.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
The thing is Falco isn't that hard...it's just all his options from lasers are ****ing ******** as hell...

Tommy G(Best Falco in FL) Basically got Jungle Japes banned due to CG-> Death-> Laser Spam the entire match... on top of that I have seen him camp on FD for 3/4s a match

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
Yeah I don't know why but I always had a bit of trouble against him. The offstage options I have always owned him but his reflector screws up my approach to the point were I have to limit my SHFireballs.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
I have trouble against Falco too mainly because if his chain grabs and his down throw combo's, and I play a close to pro Falco user.

xoxokev

Smash Lord
i just recently picked up Mario... and i mean RECENTLY (like an hour ago), and my friend uses Falco... so far its been pretty even. but i think if i use Mario a little more, i'll get used to him and be able to pwn Falco. but i had a question, can you cape Falco in the middle of his side-b move? also i REALLY wanna FLUDD my friend as a gimp, but i havent been able to consistently do it. any tips on that?

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
i just recently picked up Mario... and i mean RECENTLY (like an hour ago), and my friend uses Falco... so far its been pretty even. but i think if i use Mario a little more, i'll get used to him and be able to pwn Falco. but i had a question, can you cape Falco in the middle of his side-b move?
Yes, but the timing is extremely difficult.

also i REALLY wanna FLUDD my friend as a gimp, but i havent been able to consistently do it. any tips on that?
It's hard to do, it takes a lot of practice to even get good with the FLUDD in the first place. But, you could try SH when you use it if that helps your aim.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
FLUDD is really all about prediction. It's works great on Falco's Side-B. Usually it allows you to give out either an F-Smash or a U-Smash.

Genos

Smash Apprentice
Falco's side b cannot be caped in the middle of the attack, since he "teleports" instead of moving like he does with is up b. He can be caped at the startup animation, but it's so fast that it's hard to pull off.

Famous

Smash Champion
Lol, just Nair is Side B...

Another thing, there shouldn't be a reason for a Falco to live off the stage. It should be a guranteed stock once a Falco gets hit off the stage at any percentage.

Mario's Hardest Matchups
D3
MK
Marth
Lucario(rolling ones)

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion

Another thing, there shouldn't be a reason for a Falco to live off the stage. It should be a guranteed stock once a Falco gets hit off the stage at any percentage.

Mario's Hardest Matchups
D3
MK
Marth
Lucario(rolling ones)
The fact of the matter is...if you can't approach Falco to get him off the stage...it doesn't make it a free kill

lol @ Lucario being even considered one of Mario's hardest match-ups

Famous

Smash Champion
True but there are ways to get inside...Sometimes you have to force a reaction to get the opponent to do what you want them to do. You may take some damage while doing this but its a sacrifice you must take..

Lol, I'll tell you what I'm talking about when I come from class.

Yeah man, Lucario is a hard Matchup for Mario/Luigi for some odd apparent reason...

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738

Mario's Hardest Matchups
D3
MK
Marth
Lucario(rolling ones)
Marth is not hard... seriously.

And D3 is only hard if they manage to get an infinite, which I've yet to see consistently, but I suppose he deserves to be on our "Hardest" match-up section.

Lucario? You're kidding me. Btw, where's Game and Watch?

Famous

Smash Champion
Try playing Kadaj's or Neo's Marth...is near to impossible to get inside with Mario...

Marth is hard in the hands of a skilled player and D3 is extremly hard to approach since he can shield grab you out of most moves and fireball spam doesn't really tend to work with D's on the field...

Lol, you can just ask Boss himself about the Lucario matchup...We both lost to one in and out of a tourney 3 days ago...Though all the matches were close

G&W isn't as bad as these characters but he could be trouble...

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Like the others have said before, Falco isn't really that hard of a match-up. His lasers aren't really much of a big deal, his reflector can be trouble at times but it doesn't punish you that badly. There's that, and Falco's fun to juggle and gimp with FLUDD and cape. I'd give Falco 6.5-3.5 because of his lasers, his troublesome aerials, and the fact that his reflector comes out fast. Also, Falco's F-smash is a good KO move and he has that dash attack to U-smash of his as well.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
Falco is a much harder match than Lucario...As long as you play patient and get a KO on him before triple digit &s it should be a fairly decent match-up...

However for Falco...I have actually had to wait for them to make a mistake for me to do....well...almost anything

Don't misunderstand me...I'm not saying "OH **** IT'S DA NEW MK!!!!" no I'm saying it's alot gayer than the rest of you are thinking....

Also...just sit on the edge and play ******** gay **** from there

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
True but there are ways to get inside...Sometimes you have to force a reaction to get the opponent to do what you want them to do. You may take some damage while doing this but its a sacrifice you must take..

Lol, I'll tell you what I'm talking about when I come from class.

Yeah man, Lucario is a hard Matchup for Mario/Luigi for some odd apparent reason...

What? Hard matchup for Mario bros? Hell no -_- It's basically around dead even or 55-45 either way.

Oh as for hardest matchups it should be D3,MK, Marth, and GaW (by still has a fighting chance imo)

Top Bottom